PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

Squeaky
10-26-2006, 10:27 AM
What career would you pick if you could do anything you wanted? I'd love to train horses professionally, but I'm pretty sure that will never happen (thanks dad, for the mantra stuck in my head since I was a kid... it's not realistic, it's not realistic...).

velogirl
10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Funny you ask! Well, I'm doing the dream career right now -- I'm a cycling coach. But I have a hard time visualizing myself doing this in a decade or two. So, what would I do? I decided I'd be a florist! I love arranging flowers and I love working with my hands. Only down-side is standing on your feet all day. I guess that's why they make stools.

short cut sally
10-26-2006, 10:40 AM
LANDSCAPING. My term means planting flowers, shrubs, trees, and seeding new lawns. Reality of my term. Mowing lawns. But I would enjoy just the same.

mimitabby
10-26-2006, 10:42 AM
you know, i never figured it out. And at age 54, i don't think i ever will.

I like working with people, i like working with my hands, and I like to be alone too.

Guess I'll just retire and volunteer at the local highschool..

7rider
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
What career would you pick if you could do anything you wanted? I'd love to train horses professionally, but I'm pretty sure that will never happen (thanks dad, for the mantra stuck in my head since I was a kid... it's not realistic, it's not realistic...).

Independently wealthy philanthropist.

Pax
10-26-2006, 11:26 AM
I've never been able to pick and just sort of fell into mental health counseling. If I could do any job though I'd be a farmer or own a bar in Key West.

Haudlady
10-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Well, if I didn't have to worry about paying the mortgage...

I would be a weaver (I make hand-woven projects on a loom, but only as a hobby and for gifts - I would like to begin crafting for sale) who is also a cyclist and a horseback rider and driver. I would expand my farming activities. I would volunteer for the town Conservation Commission and the local SPCA, and work to coach low-income people with their budgeting and financial issues on a part-time basis.

In reality, I am all of those things already. The only thing I would change is that, although I love my job, I would rather do it 2 days a week (instead of full-time, which I am now) and do all the other stuff the rest of the time!!! :D Once I started thinking about it, I realized that I am pretty happy as I am! :)

Ah well. I'm 31 now... only 44 years or so until retirement. :rolleyes:

(No, I didn't do the math incorrectly - I'm not expecting Social Security to take care of me, and as an employee at a non-profit I don't have any retirement benefits. :( Boy, do I miss that 401k with the matching dollars from when I was in banking!)

snapdragen
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
squeaky, are we sisters? We certainly appear to have the same dad....

I'd be a jewelry artist - metal work more than anything else.

Or else have a restaurant/bar.

Bluetree
10-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I'd love to be an artist... and work with some of the finest racehorses in the world. Oh, wait. I am one! :p

Okay, then... I'd love to be an artist, work with racehorses AND make the same amount of money without having to work 60-80 hrs a week. (Still longing about that one... sigh.) :(

bikerchick68
10-26-2006, 11:37 AM
oooh... and this careeer would make at least what I make now right?

OK... then I'd either be a landscape designer, or a ballroom dance instructor.

I love both!:)

Bad JuJu
10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
*sap alert* I love the job I have, and I have the job I love--I just adore teaching. I love my students. The only thing that would make this job better would be...no grading!

That would give me more time for my other loves: cycling, writing, kayaking, reading, and wine-drinking.

cherinyc
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
my dream since I was 4....to be an actress. not a celebrity, I just love acting - and the stage and performing, so to get paid to do so (and be able to survive) would be awesome.

light_sabe_r
10-26-2006, 12:35 PM
When I was in high school I had three dream careers

1: Scientist- Living it now. Medical research.
2: Cartoonist- Serialised for 1.5 years in a local anthology and gained recognition by my peers.
3: Japanese Teacher.

So there's only ONE dream career I haven't done yet. JAPANESE teacher... maybe for Primary school... Maybe that one can roll around until after I have kids...

chickwhorips
10-26-2006, 02:19 PM
my dream: to never grow up! ok so its not a job or a career, but still i don't want to grow up!

though i would love to be a nutritionist. started going to school for that before i moved up here, but not there is no school to go to here. for some reason they won't let me do chemistry classes by myself. wonder why?

Bikingmomof3
10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I love my job. 17 years ago I would have loudly declared I would never be a SAHM, but now I know it was the wisest choice for me and my children. Finacially it is not good, but the rewards are more than I could have imagined. :)

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-26-2006, 02:43 PM
More than anything else, I love what I do now for a living- technical illustration.

But my other "dream" careers have been:
Naturalist
Anthropologist
Veterinarian
writer
art/antique restoration

Bikingmomof3
10-26-2006, 02:48 PM
but not there is no school to go to here. for some reason they won't let me do chemistry classes by myself. wonder why?

My DH has been dying for a reason to move there. As a professor of chemistry he would be thrilled to teach just one student. I could teach physics. :D

chickwhorips
10-26-2006, 02:54 PM
My DH has been dying for a reason to move there. As a professor of chemistry he would be thrilled to teach just one student. I could teach physics. :D

works for me! come on up!!! :D

pepe6599
10-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I would love to be a FBI field agent or a Honolulu police officer, which is opposite of what i do.

chickwhorips
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
which is opposite of what i do.

i think you should just plead the 5th right now.

pepe6599
10-26-2006, 03:07 PM
i think you should just plead the 5th right now.

I love my job now but I find can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. :rolleyes:

chickwhorips
10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I would love to be a FBI field agent or a Honolulu police officer, which is opposite of what i do.

I love my job now but I find can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. :rolleyes:

i don't think there is a good future in being a criminal ;)

CyclChyk
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
To be independantly wealthy so I don't have to work. That would be a job of sorts.... right??

emily_in_nc
10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Dream jobs:

professional singer (of the Kelly Clarkson ilk)
professional ballroom dancer (like the pros on "Dancing with the Stars")
or dancer in broadway shows

...quite a bit removed from what I actually do (software engineer), no? I can't dance worth a darn, either! I sing a little better than I dance, but am certainly no Kelly Clarkson. :D Ah well, we have to have our dreams of getting paid for what seems like just pure *fun*, right!?

Emily

pepe6599
10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
chickwhorips: lol, I ran right into that one. hehehe.

hsmpcycle
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
What a great thread!! I have always had a long list of dream careers and had a hard time figuring out which I wanted to persue first.

Previous Career: Civil War Historian and Period Costumes

Dream Careers:
Teacher for the Deaf
Detective
Mortician
Yarn Store Owner
Park Ranger
Graphic Designer
Photographer

pooks
10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm in the career. I'd just be making a LOT more money at it. (Screenwriting.)

LBTC
10-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Ah, when I was graduating the counsellors (sp?) just didn't put any energy into telling us how many options there could be....

Real careers that would take getting an education:
Physiotherapist
Aromatherapist
Architect

What I dreamt of as a youngster:
to be famous

What I do now that feels like the real thing, and that I hope will make me money one day (less "real" job, more "magic" job):
http://picsiechick.blogspot.com/

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Xrayted
10-26-2006, 06:34 PM
When I was a kid growing up in FL, I wanted to be a mermaid at Wiki Wachi. In reality, I don't think my tail would look too good in a tail these days. Betcha I could still hold up those two sea shells pretty well, tho. ;)

I love what I do now. I love the interaction with my patients. Especially the kids. Playing peek-a-boo with the littlest ones in the waiting area to chill them out beforehand. The older one's faces just light up when I give them a sticker with Shrek or Big Bird or whomever. They get 2 if they cried the whole way through the exam. With kids, last impressions are the ones they remember. Just wish it paid more, I guess.

As a total dream job, I'd have to go with acoustic guitar player for someone like Bonnie Raitt, Cheryl Crow, Jimmy Buffett or Melissa E. Wouldn't even have to pay me. :cool:

X.

salsabike
10-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I would be a weaver (I make hand-woven projects on a loom, but only as a hobby and for gifts - I would like to begin crafting for sale)

Hey, fellow weaver. Oddly enough, I do not want to make a living at weaving--I'm afraid that would make it a high-pressure, not fun, pursuit. Here are the things I wanted to be when I was a kid, and I still want to be them:

Cowgirl
Ballet dancer
diver/researcher with Jacques Cousteau
Psychologist
Archaeologist

I've done numbers 2 and 4. I've also done about a decade of policy research on economic/labor market development, which I liked.

I'd be happy to retire and do volunteer work with kids. I still like the kids as much as ever. Would like less pressure/responsibility. Would like to spend more time weaving and making art, but not as a way of earning a living.

KnottedYet
10-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Fisheries biologist again. Invertebrates. (not those fish. jeez, booooo-ring!)

Gawd, I miss it.

I love PT, don't get me wrong, but the patients.... some of them are soooo high maintainence. Today was awful. Mammals are a pain. :mad:

HipGnosis6
10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
I wanted to do the same thing as the people who saved me from going too far astray as a teenager - I wanted to teach music. That didn't really work out, so I moved on and persued an archaeology degree. That requires more math and science and chemistry than I could really muster, so I stayed in the anthropology realm but shifted to linguistics - along with a minor in Latin, I came close to but didn't finish a Master's in Archaeolinguistics. Doesn't that make me sound smart? :D

Well, I was afraid of turning my hobby into my career. I'd seen what that had done to my older brother; he was a prodigy as a teenager but is now so burnt out that he's miserable. But my straight-shootin' sense-talkin' mother put my head straight when I mentioned that. "Find another hobby," she said. "You're not like your brother who can't do anything else. Make clothes for a living, go to fashion design school - and when it's time to play, go ride your bike."

I'm a year into a bachelors program in fashion design, and while it's tons of work, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. If I could do ANYTHING, it would be to work with an existing company to develop a line of extended-size athletic gear (including bike apparel, of course!). I'm in love with technical fabrics. And if possible I'd like to help establish fair trade apparel manufacturing in Asia and/or South America - if we can do it for coffee, we can do it for other industries.

Thistle
10-26-2006, 11:44 PM
I would love to be a really good psychologist, i mean really really good ... be someone who could make a difference, someone who could really help people get to the bottom of their troubles... but I dont think I ever could be :(

2nd choice - I would love to train guide dogs - something i've wanted to do all my life.

run it, ride it
10-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I'm in my second-last semester for a BA in critical analysis in literature/media ("English"). I know what I don't want to do: teach, or have a desk job. Journalism at this point is not appealing to me, though I do have a knack for non-fiction prose.

I took the career tests... Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interest Survey. The Strong said I should go into law inforcement, across the board. Second choice was parks and recreation. What a cruel joke: I currently work in parks and recreation. The whole 'recreation' part? I'd rather it not factor in. Law enforcement: I call them in for backup when I'm tired of dealing with a situation. I respect what they do, but its not something I could handle on a daily basis. Too much 'general public' contact exhausts me, and the conflict... no way. I'd burn out and break down.

Well, the MBTI test agreed with me, resoundingly: "you should absolutely NOT got into law enforcement." It proceeded to suggest a slew of computer desk jobs. I was already all over that and minored in Computer Science for a while--no go. Not my thing.

Throughout my undergrad, I took a collection of anthro, psych, soc... too much research. Minored in drama--love the technical aspect, love carpentry and costumes and getting absolutely filthy. But the hours and the pay? I'm better off cleaning washrooms. Minored in music--again, hours and the pay... unless I become a famous rock star...

I want to be a cultural theorist. I love theory. I could be a professor if it weren't for the research. I just want to theorize in prose and say, 'forget language and forget research.' I would eradicate essays and theses, revamp the entire education system into problem-based learning models. I think the first part is called creative writing, and the second part is called med school. Former won't pay the bills.

Both tests suggested jobs in the medical field--I need an even balance of mind work and physical work. I'm interested in nutrition, kinetics. I certainly wouldn't mind working with athletes. My dream job might be vet tech for large animals--but literally, my current job cleaning washrooms pays more.

So I'll be headed into my fifth year for round two of the undergrad: science. It's the only thing I haven't tried. If that falls through... well, I want at least an MA in something, so I'll have to think of a research topic in English. Preferably something from THIS time period, about sex. My best writing is about sex. I always wanted to be a sexologist (ahh, but the research). A sexual theorist is the next best thing.

My parents have told me I'm a good candidate for med school--they know what they're talking about: my father is a physician and my mother is on the interview selection committee for the province's med schools. I have nothing to lose by applying, so I probably will.

I've mentioned money. Money in and of itself is not important to me, but it's required to support my sporting and equestrian habits. I want to live comfortably--more than $40 000CND. I have the resources to education to allow that. As I said--I want at least an MA, probably a PhD or at least some damned good technical training in SOMETHING. I'd be a great tradesworker. But my wrists won't hold up to farriery (see: minored in computer science--carpal tunnel). I always wanted to be a mechanic, but there aren't enough big words to sustain me.

I've got it down to a basic list of survival needs:
-Horses
-Running
-Words with more than one syllable
-Sunlight
-Lake/ocean

So if anyone has any suggestions...

(Apologies for the novel--English degree. Go figure.)

rocknrollgirl
10-27-2006, 01:31 AM
I was just reading this with DH next to me pondering out loud...what career would I want if I were not a teacher...

He says.....The wife of a fly fishing guide.....

That is why we have been married for 19 years...he is cute and FUNNY!!!!

Ruth

hsmpcycle
10-27-2006, 04:16 AM
-Horses
-Running
-Sunlight
-Lake/ocean

(Apologies for the novel--English degree. Go figure.)

After reading your post and looking at the above list, I thought Horse Breeding/Trainer might be an option? You are working both in and outside, never a dull moment, make decent money, you travel, and it involves some dirty work.

If that doesn't sound good ( I know you said you were not intrested in being a cop), you can do what my sister-in-law does. She has a great day job, but she also works part-time in the summer with her horse as a Mounted Patrol Officer. She is not a cop, but all she does is help move traffic and handle crowds with her horse. They both had to go through some intensive training to do this ex: crowd reading, techniques, etc. It doesn't involve violence.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-27-2006, 04:47 AM
But my straight-shootin' sense-talkin' mother put my head straight when I mentioned that. "Find another hobby," she said. "You're not like your brother who can't do anything else. Make clothes for a living, go to fashion design school - and when it's time to play, go ride your bike."

I LOVE that! What great and wise mother you have!! :)

pooks
10-27-2006, 06:15 AM
What Lisa said!

Re: the weaving. I've always wanted to learn. To start off with a small loom and give it a try. I don't have room for such a thing and probably not time, either. But in my dream future when we retire to a place with land, I'll have a couple of sheep and goats (I wish angoras were prettier to look at!) and will card my own wool and weave a few throws to pass down to my kids.

Of course, my mother is a fabulous quilter and has never sold any (she agrees with whoever it was upthread said once it became a job it wouldn't be a joy). She makes as many as 20 or 30 a year! I don't know how many quilts she has, but she intends them to all be divided between her kids and grandkids and I have no idea where we'll store them all.

So of course I'm sitting here fantisizing about adding to the dilemma!

Maybe I'll skip that idea.

pyxichick
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Naturalist
Nature-writer
Copyeditor (I'm actually taking classes for this one)

When I was in high school I wanted to be a musician in an orchestra. I started college as a music major and decided right away that I wasn't good enough to pursue that. I switched my major to English.

I just want a job I can do while living in a cabin in the woods.

Offthegrid
10-27-2006, 06:57 PM
A teacher. Then I could spend all summer riding AND make a difference.

Haudlady
10-31-2006, 06:28 AM
Hey, fellow weaver. Oddly enough, I do not want to make a living at weaving--I'm afraid that would make it a high-pressure, not fun, pursuit.

Hey Salsa! I agree with you on this one, despite what I said... at our town fair in July I did weaving demonstrations. It was great fun - part of why I would want to weave for sale is to share my joy in it.

I was thinking more of occasional commissions (like the request I got recently for a shawl for a lady who has cancer)... and certainly NOT to make a living off of it! I would like, however, to make enough to pay for some of my yarn purchases! :rolleyes:

7rider
10-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Fisheries biologist again. Invertebrates. (not those fish. jeez, booooo-ring!)

Gawd, I miss it.

I love PT, don't get me wrong, but the patients.... some of them are soooo high maintainence. Today was awful. Mammals are a pain. :mad:

My goodness. This sounds familiar.
But, I'd stick with the fish. I have your fish-response towards inverts. Spent more time picking over lobsters than I can to think about. I've oftened "threatened" to go back to school for PT, but never did. So, I end up stuck in a fish agency doing management and policy. Boooooo-ring!

Bad JuJu
10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
-Horses
-Running
-Sunlight
-Lake/ocean

Hey, RIRI, there are a ton of things you can do with a degree in English. Check and see if your school have a list of them somewhere--I know we do.

As an example, my brother is ABD in English (concentration in Elizabethan studies, read "Shakespeare") and after teaching for a few years and continuing to pursue the PhD, he finally went to work for the National Marine Fisheries Service (part of NOAA) as a tech editor, working on the development of fisheries regulations. Sounds a little boring, I know, but surprise--he gets to work with a lot of fishermen, scientists, and also some attorneys, and occasionally goes on a research trip. He lives and works in Juneau, AK, but they have offices all over the U.S. He loves it and it pays big bucks.

So that's just an example--there are probably lots of other possibilities. By the way, have you ever tried teaching? When I was in my 20s, I'd have told you I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out with pliers than teach. Then I got assigned to a teaching job for a year and a half (I was in the navy then), and absolutely loved it--helped me figure out that I wanted to teach when I got out of the navy. I don't mean to say it would necessarily be the same with you--just that you might be surprised how much you like the things you think you wouldn't.

And to quote you again:
"Apologies for the novel--English degree. Go figure." ;)

margo49
10-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Boutique dairy with goats and sheep that SO would graze and milk.
Came pretty close with the kibbutz dairy - which was cows and someone else milked them.Loved it and miss it (carreer ended suddenly with a terrible accident) most days.

GLC1968
10-31-2006, 10:31 AM
As a child I dreamt of being an oceanographer...then I grew up and realized that I have a strong tendency towards motion sickness. Not good.

I have one DREAM job:
action movie star
(I know...I'm weird)... it would be PERFECT for me though...physically demanding, I get to pretend (one of my favorite things to do in the world), super high intensity for a few months and then I get to do something else (like another movie or whatever)...never boring..

My realistic dream job:
Veterinarian
(I say realistic because in about 5 years I'll be bored with my current career path and I'll probably go back to school to start over...again...so I'm not ruling it out as a possibility).

margo49
10-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Waiting for Kitsune's post....

chickwhorips
10-31-2006, 10:43 AM
i did want to be a stunt woman for a while.

good point margo. i wonder where she is....

DebW
10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
As a little kid, I wanted to be an old maid swimming teacher (I liked to swim and I had no interest in ever getting married).

In grade school I wanted to be an oceanographer, but that wouldn't have worked because I get motion sickness very easily.

In high school I wanted to be a nuclear physicist. I did complete a BS in physics but I wasn't smart enough to do that as a career. So I went to grad school in atmospheric science. Still there, but it may not last much longer as my funding dries up.

I still dream of being a bike mechanic again. It might happen. Other things I'd like to do but probably never will: paleontology (trilobites, stromatolites, etc.), evolutionary biology, glaciology.

AllezGirl
10-31-2006, 11:12 AM
1. Lavender Farmer
2. Any job at New Belgium Brewery

Kitsune06
10-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I was informed that my input was desired here... ;)

If money was never an object, if my health and wellbeing never were an issue (thanks US healthcare system...)

I'd travel the world on my bike etc and discuss philosophy, art, politics and theology with every different viewpoint I could. I'd live in sparsely populated areas as a nomad, hunting etc for myself and be as far from society as I could. In the words of Tyler from Fight Club-"In the world I see -- you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You will wear leather clothes that last you the rest of your life. You will climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. You will see tiny figures pounding corn and laying-strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of the ruins of a superhighway." My life would be something of stories, with everyone knowing a little about me, but no one person knowing the entire story.

I'd write my tales on toilet paper like Kerouac and write of the dangerous, wild side of life like Thompson. It'd be like Walden.

...I could only do that until I was so old, because life like that wears on the body... then I'd be a grand old hippy, the kind of woman everyone goes to for advice over hot tea and cookies, and leaves thinking "Gad, she's weird..." but you know... it'd make me happy.

Then I'd die, and my ashes would be scattered in the streams in my parents' WI woods, so I might always be a small part of the rich history of the place.

That would be my life if I had my way.

chickwhorips
10-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Waiting for Kitsune's post....

now we have it. so what to think about it.... i know how old she is and i'm even questioning it.

HappyAnika
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
I would be the one who's in charge of taking care of the polar bears at the zoo. Or any other job that would allow me to have close contact with polar bears and not have to live in the arctic.

Second would be pastry chef, mostly cakes. I seriously considered dropping out of grad school to persue this. I went through with grad school, but my current job is just not making me happy. I keep coming back to the idea of pastry chef as a later-in-life sort of thing, after my yet-to-be-born children are older.

Realistically I'd like to be a professor. I love to teach. I just have to find an area of research that interests me and that I care about, in which I can feasibly start up my own research program at a university. See? Making cakes sounds easier, doesn't it?

CyclChyk
10-31-2006, 04:39 PM
I guess I missed the part about forgetting money was an issue so even tho I really do want to be independantly wealthy, I would love to have about 20-30acres of land fenced off for safty reasons, and be able to take in every stray or unwanted animal so I could nurse and love and find good homes for so they never had to suffer or feel pain again. Of course I would probably want to keep every last one of them cuz thats just how I am.....

margo49
10-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Kitsune....that is what I have been doing all my life and I am now at the second-to-last paragraph. Not up for the cremation thing tho'.

Kitsune06
10-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Margo, I'm jealous. I truly am. :o And humbled.

margo49
10-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, the hunting my own food is a bit of an exaggeration because I am a vegetarian since 23. But I have told you all how I grew beansprouts in a nylon stocking hung from the seatpost of my Raleigh Touring 14 while riding down Highway 101 in 1980. Nearly the same thing.

CyclChyk
11-01-2006, 02:57 AM
way OT tangent here but I am all for cremation. Even tho I may be dead and my body just an object, I really don't relish the worms and funk that would inhibit it........ scatter me from the Portland Head Light..... yup.

cosc
11-01-2006, 06:48 AM
In my favorite dream I would be a concert pianist. In reality I wouldn't like spending all the time practicing and stress of performing. When could I ride a bike? All my job choices would be centered in music. I've thought about going back to school to train to be more specialized in music, but I can't narrow down what I could do to make a living in this very rural area. My teaching degree in music is not needed here. When I was a child I wanted to be a figure skater-still love to watch music and grace melted together!

susiej
11-01-2006, 06:59 AM

Programming -- what I do -- but probably with slightly different technology. The programming language I use now has some, ah, quirks, that drive me up a wall. But with the same group of people, because their quirks do not drive me up the wall.

Thanks Dad, for not having any sons, and doing "boy" things with your daughters, like the Pythagorean theorem. Mmmmmm. Math.

Now, if I could just have more time to bake, garden, write ...

Kitsune06
11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
off topic and worse, while my xh worked in a crematory/funeral home, we had the agreement that he wouldn't run my ashes through the 'vibrator' (the thing that vibrates the still-whole chunks into dust) and he'd just put me in a photoshopped Jiff or Skippy jar labeled "Here lies Aryn- Chunky Style" etc, so it (the label) looked real, with all the 'fine print' being things about me and my life. If I die before 40, I still want that... after that, I might want more respectable disposal of my mortal coil, but I want it to reflect my dry, icky sense of humor in life. :D

ok, back on-topic.

E2theD
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
The BF and I have talked about how fun it would be to open our own gym. We even have a location in mind near our place. It's an old run down movie theater that has been declared a historical buidling so it can't be torn down. It would be a great place for a climbing wall. Now if we could just open it and transport it to Tahoe we would be in heaven.

:rolleyes: Erin

DebW
11-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Not up for the cremation thing tho'.

way OT tangent here but I am all for cremation. Even tho I may be dead and my body just an object, I really don't relish the worms and funk that would inhibit it........ scatter me from the Portland Head Light..... yup.

off topic and worse, while my xh worked in a crematory/funeral home, we had the agreement that he wouldn't run my ashes through the 'vibrator' (the thing that vibrates the still-whole chunks into dust) and he'd just put me in a photoshopped Jiff or Skippy jar labeled "Here lies Aryn- Chunky Style" etc, so it (the label) looked real, with all the 'fine print' being things about me and my life. If I die before 40, I still want that... after that, I might want more respectable disposal of my mortal coil, but I want it to reflect my dry, icky sense of humor in life. :D

I figure that creation takes your mortal organic carbon and turns it into CO2, contributing to global warming.

A typical cemetary burial uses up land and keeps that useful carbon locked in a sealed vault for decades.

I want my mortal carbon recycled into the biosphere, to do good for another creature. So I'd like to be buried in the woods in a pine box. Or left for the scavengers and recyclers of the invertebrate world to do their thing with. That's my wish, but there are probably laws against it in the US.

Kitsune06
11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
laws, schmaws. When you think you're ready to die, go out into the woods and take matters into your own hands. That way, no one can be procecuted for your being laid to rest the way you wanted to be, and you'll have your way. I'm just thinking that after an entire life time, the little CO2 that I create will be a small matter. Like someone's bbq, but hopefully with a smaller grease fire. Oh, the stories XH can tell. :eek:

Bluetree
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I figure that creation takes your mortal organic carbon and turns it into CO2, contributing to global warming.

A typical cemetary burial uses up land and keeps that useful carbon locked in a sealed vault for decades.

I want my mortal carbon recycled into the biosphere, to do good for another creature. So I'd like to be buried in the woods in a pine box. Or left for the scavengers and recyclers of the invertebrate world to do their thing with. That's my wish, but there are probably laws against it in the US.

Well Deb, there's always Soylent Green...

:D

Kitsune06
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Comment deleted because Xrayted would pick on me for being "dark".

...no pun intended, either.
People, the other, other, other white meat. :D

chickwhorips
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
if it makes you feel any better we all can pick on you so its just not x.

Kitsune06
11-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Aww, thanks, hon, I appreciate it. :rolleyes: :D

CyclChyk
11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
laws, schmaws. When you think you're ready to die, go out into the woods and take matters into your own hands.

Oh Aryn (love that name. Why'd ya hide it?) I mean KIT - ya had to go and say it. Now there will be religious upheaval about how its a sin and the person who does this will go to hades........ no passing go, no $200..... straight to hades....

*sigh* (got my popcorn ready!)

Kitsune06
11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Pff. Why sweat the small stuff? Oddly, the idea comes from my dad, one of the more religious (and also coolest) guys I know. He's UCC, though, so kind of 'liberal' as far as religions go... He said that the way he wanted to go was as a little old man up in his deer stand one thanksgiving, to fall asleep up there in the cold and not wake up. Knowing him, I have to agree. His childhood was there, he raised his kids there, and he'd want to die there. Heck, if I ever managed to go back (though life in WI makes me wonder...) that's where I'd want to die, too.