PDA

View Full Version : terry butterfly tri saddle

Jen
10-26-2006, 04:19 AM
I noticed that the terry butterfly and the butterfly tri have the same dimensions with the difference being that the tri has a little extra gel for long times in the saddle. Many people use the butterfly but I never hear of anyone using the butterfly tri. Has anyone tried it, liked or disliked it? Sounds comfy.:)

indysteel
10-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Jen, I have the Butterfly tri gel and like it. I don't notice it that much on long rides and I assume that's a good thing. I feel like my sit bones are supported and I don't get irritated "down there." Even with the extra gel, I think the saddle is fairly firm and supportive. I will say that I'm a small rider, with fairly narrow hips and seat. And I admit that I don't have many other saddles to compare it to. I swamped it for the Bianchi saddle that came standard with my bike, and I have a Serfas on my hybrid.

On a side note about comfort: The only type of short I own and wear is the Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor short. When the weather turned cooler, I started wearing a pair of PI Sugar knickers that have a slightly different (and, ironically, cheaper), chamois. I have to say that I feel more comfortable after a long ride in the knickers. I think I'm going to try the PI shorts (I think it's the "Quest") that come with the same chamois next summer and see if they are just as comfortable. With the knickers and tri gel saddle, I could ride forever (I'd like to think) in relative comfort.

Kate

Jen
10-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for getting back with me. I want to purchase the saddle today. I hope the LBS has both so I can see for myself. I have heard that too much gel makes it harder to ride on hills or go fast. You feel that there isn't too much. Sounds like a good saddle to me. I am also happy to hear your remarks on the shorts. I was going to purchas the PI ultrasensors but really can't afford to get all I need in just one day. I have the sugars and have had no problem. After reading your comments, I'll use the the sugars this weekend for my long ride.

Blueberry
10-26-2006, 05:03 AM
On a side note about comfort: The only type of short I own and wear is the Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor short. When the weather turned cooler, I started wearing a pair of PI Sugar knickers that have a slightly different (and, ironically, cheaper), chamois. I have to say that I feel more comfortable after a long ride in the knickers.

Odd - I've noted the same thing with the PI's - I LOVE the 3D Tour Chamois. Now...if they just made padded tights with that one... (yes, I know I can wear knickers or shorts under tights, but I really prefer padded tights).

Carrie Anne