PDA

View Full Version : SPD vs other road pedals

OrbeaJ
04-15-2004, 10:52 AM
I wanna change pedal types on my new fancy road bike. I've been riding w/SPDs for about 4 yrs and usually end up with a numb foot (or two) by the end of a big ride. Am thinking of going to Look pedals, but the bike shop guys seem to want to push me to SPD-R. I think my current shoes will take either type of cleat.
ANy suggestions? Being able to walk around, even awkwardly, when off my bike would be a distinct plus....
Pedal on!

Veronica
04-15-2004, 12:30 PM
I didn't know your feet got numb!

I always thought SPDs kept that from happening - or maybe that's hot spots. Maybe it's the shoes. I have mountain biker shoes with laces. I know bad for wind resistance, but nice to be able to keep them loosely tied if I wnat.

V.

adkoch
04-15-2004, 05:05 PM
I had SPDs for 3 years and my toes and yes, sometimes feet!, would also go numb. I thought it was my shoes, but instead of investing in new ones, I just switched pedal systems altogether, because of IT Band issues with my knee. I have only had the Speedplays since the beginning of the year and it's early, so I haven't had many long rides in. Of what I've done, no numbness. But, I've just recently figured out that frequent lubing is needed to stay clipped in and my shoes are not nearly as easy to walk in! If my knee stays healthy, who cares?!!!

~Angie