PDA

View Full Version : Tips for first tri?

chele27sg
04-14-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm taking part in my first Olympic Distance tri this Sunday. So far, I've several sprints, as well as biathlons, but this weekend will be my first 'real thing'.

I'm feeling a bit apprehensive - wondering if I've trained enough, if I'll make it without collapsing (!) etc. Any tips for prep?

Also, any tips on nutrition? I foresee that I'll take abt 3 hours to complete it, any advice on pre (race starts at 8 am) and during race nutrtion? I get stitches REALLY easily, so am a little scared to drink to much on the bike.

Thanks!

adkoch
04-15-2004, 05:17 PM
The best advice I can give this late in the game is to get over 8 hours sleep the night before the night of the race and to carbo load the day before the day of the race. You will be anxious the night before and will probably have to rise early for the race, so you'll need those zzz's in the bank. Also, you don't want to be so bogged down with heaviness come race day - carbo loading the day before is a myth. If you do it the day before the day before and eat wisely (often and with both carbs/protein) the day before, you will be set.

I always eat a Cliff bar and a banana, as well as drink a small Gatorade and a small water long before the race on race day. I have to stand in the potty line a few times, but I am also a heavy/salty sweater, too. I then make sure I consume a gel right away on the bike, as well as about 15 min before the run. I down an entire Gatorade again on the bike, as you won't feel like drinking much on the run and you'll need to be fully hydrated. If you do another one, you should practice a couple of bricks (bike/run combos) to get your nutrition down. Best of luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!!!

~Angie

chele27sg
04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi there!!! I finished my first Olympic distance tri!!! And it felt GREEAAAT!!

Made it under my target time of 3 hrs (2:52 hrs), and came 5th in my age-group!! Yahoo!

Thanks for the advice Angie, it help lot!

NOw the next step... when and how to get back into trg again??

Crash
04-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Congratulations.
I have often thought of doing a biathlon but my training always dies and then the race comes and goes. YOU DID DO IT!!
crash:p

adkoch
04-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Nice finish - 5th in your AG is quite the accomplishment for anyone, especially a first-timer - you have much to be proud of!!! You may be quite successful with a couple more under your belt!

You should probably take a week or two off, but continue to lightly exercise/crosstrain/try something new. After that period of time, you can start to get back into the swing of things by slowing building your workouts back up. You'll want to keep in mind that many triathloners do a 3:1 week format - 3 weeks of consistent training, then 1 week of recovery, or light exercise. Don't make my mistake by hitting the couch, then expecting to jump back in at the same level. Every spring I curse my bad habits...

Try this website - it will have you surfing the net at work, for sure!

http://www.trinewbies.com/

~Angie

chele27sg
04-20-2004, 10:18 PM
I actually thot of starting long runs and interval trg this week, before reading your last post, Angie. But I'm starting to wonder now if that's too short a down time - maybe I should be resting longer before starting to go hard agn, but I feel GUILTY!!

Anyone else feel that way? My body was actually pretty reluctant to do anything much for the last few days, but today, I forced my butt into the gym and did a workout... Which didn't feel very good in any case!

Should I just shut my addictive compulsive inner voice up and rest???

Veronica
04-21-2004, 04:20 AM
I usually take a day or two after a big ride off my bike. Then ease back into it. No set rules - just do what my body feels like. We went out for 40 minutes last night. Just a little jaunt around the neighborhood. Averageh heart rate - 118. :D But it felt good just to do some easy spinning after doing so much climbing on Saturday.

V.

adkoch
04-21-2004, 06:03 PM
That's the idea! Start out with something like Veronica suggested, like light spinning or an easy swim - maybe some rollerblading or volleying of the tennis ball. These easy days will ease the guilt you have by at least doing something and the fun you have with the tame workouts will fuel your fire for the harder ones. Just be patient, ramp up and avoid burnout. To tell you the truth, I feel guilty every single day that I'm not active, but if it was for a good reason (ie. needed rest or quality time with family/friends, etc.), the guilt quickly subsides to justification.

Sounds like you've caught the tri bug - it's a great ride!!!

~Angie