PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Cyclocross Series #4 Donida Farms

Ctrl+Z
10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi all - I wanted to give some space for the Seattle CC Series. We just finished race number 4 of the series and it just keeps getting better. Donida Farms is a picture perfect horse farm just an hour outside of Seattle and it couldn’t have been a nicer day for a race. Admittedly if it had been as cold and rainy as last week I might have done an “Basso” and complained that my tummy was hurting or something...kidding

The start was fast and compact on a dirt strip that led us right into the bumpy grass field where the horses hang during normal hours. There was a 'crash' at the start of my race that broke the field in two straight out of the gate..lucky break #1 for me. The one and only run up lay not far from the start so on that first lap everyone is hitting it at the same time causing a major traffic jam. This really disrupts your flow! At the top the hill continues a little bit then you hit an off camber turn that if you miss you go flying down the side of the hill you just ran up. There was quite a bit of carnage at this corner throughout the day. Lucky break #2 for me....

One more little roll up and then you go flying down into the fields again right into a 90 degree turn and the climbing begins this time seatted on the bike. Another wild descent into bumpy grass more turns and then the barriers. First, you jump a single barrier and then a triple a few yards a way. Finally, you hit the dirt gravel road again and roll into the horse track which is filled with really sticky sand and mud. I sucked wheel on this section so I guess this is my lucky break #3. A few more turns behind the horse track on the grass bring you back to the start/finish line …then you get to do it all over again, fun!

I believe next week we head to the mountains with rain / snow on the forecast...keep you posted!!

velogirl
10-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Congrats! My question is this, if you're racing on horse grounds, were there "cookies" on the course. One of the east bay (sf) courses is an old landfill that happens to be grazing ground for cows and the course was filled with cow hoof-prints and cookies -- yuck!

Ctrl+Z
10-23-2006, 02:58 PM
I was expecting a lot more organic matter on the course but nothing of great substance. Although, if it was muddier or if there was a steady stream of anything rolling off back wheels into may face, I may have kept a good distance from the rider in front of me.