PDA

View Full Version : Camera advice

HipGnosis6
10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey, y'all. I know tons of you have digital cameras, as evidenced by all the great photos of the rides you've been on and of your beautiful bikes! I'm asking the parents for one for Christmas, but I need to be prepared to tell them EXACTLY what camera I want. I would like to know what cameras you all have and like.

I'm specifically looking for a camera that takes OK pictures without tons of fuss and isn't gigantic or horribly expensive. Can you ladies put me on the right track?

mimitabby
10-23-2006, 10:05 AM
try the canon elph. that's what i have. I love it. it's great on the bike because i'ts the size of a pack of cigarettes and fits anywhere (and you can lose it in your jersey pocket because it's so small you can't tell it's there :( )

snapdragen
10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I've got a Canon SD550 - nice and tiny. Any of the SD cameras are small and great for taking on the bike. One thing I wanted for sure was a semi-large LCD screen, and an optical viewer (some don't have them).

Canon USA (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113)

Bluetree
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a Sony 6.0 megapixel Cybershot. Very small (2' x 3-1/2" x 3/4" deep), lightweight and easy to use, about $250. Unless you plan on doing pictures larger than 8x10, you don't need much more than 4 megapixels, 6 to be on the safe side. There are a lot of small cameras out now that do 8 megapixels, but it's really overkill and money thats better spent elsewhere... like TE! :D
My pro camera is a Canon 20D with interchangeable USM lenses, but unless I need my telephoto lenses, my little Sony could do the same job a lot of cases.

EDIT: It's 2" tall, not 2 feet tall... feel like I'm in Spinal Tap.
"The problem is.. Stonehenge was in danger of being trampled.. by a dwarf!"

DeniseGoldberg
10-23-2006, 10:22 AM
The first thing you really need to do is decide what you want from your camera. The camera that is ideal for me (or for anyone else out there) may not work for you.

I wrote an article on selecting a digital camera for touring that is published on crazyguyonabike.com. The article was written in 2002, but I have been updating it since then. And although my focus was on touring, the article is more general than that. You can read it at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/DigitalCameraOnTour.

If you are comparing cameras and would like a side-by-side comparison, take a look at Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/). They have lists of features for cameras, a side-by-side comparison, and detailed reviews that I have found to be very helpful.

Have fun shopping and deciding!

--- Denise

li10up
10-23-2006, 10:30 AM
I second the Sony Cybershot.

light_sabe_r
10-23-2006, 03:27 PM
I have an olympus 6.1 megapixel. I bought it two years ago (1.5 years before I bought my bike) It's small enough to fit in my saddle pack. It's no fuss too, easy to turn the flash on and off and the screen is huge. I went with Olympus because I've been using Olympus microscopes since university and hardly anything goes wrong with them (The one at work is 15 years onld and only now needs it's first major service) So I'm quietly confident their cameras are the same quality.

My boyfired bought his mum a 7.0 cannon camera recently. BIGGER screen. Very nice. and it's HALF the size of my olympus.

If you're a happy snapper I HIGHLY reccommend getting a big memory card no matter what camera you get. They're very cheap on ebay.
I've got a 126 and for weekends away it's great but for week long holidays it's starting to get a bit small.

7rider
10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
If you're looking for something to just shoot snapshots, the Sony Cybershot also gets my vote. It's not overkill and does a decent job.
(But, geez, are the 6 megapixel versions down to $250 already?? Geez, I have a 3.2 version (I got it in late '02 and paid over $300 for it!)

snapdragen
10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I forgot, here's a great website:

dpreview.com

All kinds of reviews etc. on digi cameras.

bcipam
10-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm a fan of Canon Cameras and have two: the A75 (my old camera) and the A540 (my new 6 mp). The Elph is also an excellent camera.

Big decision you need to make - do you want a camera with a proprietary battery (such as the Cybershot or Elph) or do you want a camera that takes AA batteries? I opted for the camera that takes AAs. Just in case, I can always carry spares and can alway purchase AAs if the batteries die. If you are good about recharging your battery then the other is OK. It's really personal perference.

I really like the A540 - it is very easy to use, has many features and a large LCD screen. Price is reasonable (check out Costco.com). It fits easily into my Bento Box!

snapdragen
10-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Good point about the batteries bcipam. I bought an extra battery, and always travel with a fully charged spare.

Xrayted
10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I just got a Canon Elph Powershot SD600 last w/e as an early b-day gift. Loooove it! It's 6.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom and like mimitabby said, it's small and will fit into your pocket easily. They all tend to come with pathetically small cards that hold like 8 pics. So I got a 1 gig card with it that holds around 445 pics at 6 meg each. I got a small case by Tamrac for $10 that fits it perfectly and I can velcro it to my handlebars for when I'm out on the bike.
I checked out lots of reviews ahead of time and found that overall, people seemed to like the whole Canon line a lot. (Sony was the other brand most liked.) I picked this one over the 630 version. Same thing but mine has a slightly smaller view screen than the 630. I found that when holding the 630 or similar cameras with one hand, as I would be doing on the bike, I had no where to place my thumb/fingers where they wouldn't be over the screen. There are some with less megapixels like the 450 which take great photos too and are cheaper.
I really liked how easy mine was to use. I pretty much figured it out right there in the store. I also liked how quick it was to respond before and after the shot compared to many of the other brands. No more fuzzy pics.
If you like to shop at Circuit City, check out the prices online too. Many times they run web specials that aren't in the stores. Print out the online prices, go play with them in the store and then make them match the lower price. They will also match online package specials too. Also, they tend to run extra low discounts on the w/e's compared to during the week.

CyclChyk
10-23-2006, 06:38 PM
If we are talking small enough to bike with I also vote for the Cybershot. Sony is super easy to use, takes great pics, and is priced right.

light_sabe_r
10-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Good point about the batteries bcipam. I bought an extra battery, and always travel with a fully charged spare.

Same here!

7rider
10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Does the Sony take special batteries??
My (older) Cybershot just takes regular AA's. I have a bunch of NiMH that I keep recharging and reusing, just fine.
Wasn't aware newer ones have special battery needs.

CyclChyk
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I think most cybershots take AA rechargables these days. I wanted one that used a more advanced battery as digital EAT AA's so frickin fast! I go thru them like candy. But no such luck...... I think I need to purchase stock in Duracell...

uforgot
11-21-2006, 03:19 AM
I've spent the last two weeks researching and looking at small digital cameras. My beloved Kodak is just too big, and I want something I can slip into my pocket. I have it narrowed down to two cameras and I have a few questions for anyone who has these. The Canon elph sd600 6.0mp and Sony CSD-W70 Cybershot 7.2mp

The problem with the Sony seems to be that the case is a little flimsy. It appears to be completely plastic and when you open the battery cover and ac connecter, it IS plastic. There also seems to be a lot of people out there who have their Sony LCD crack on them easily, without any reason (according to the reviews.) I'm concerned about all this because I mostly want to take it on rides with me. I looked at both cameras at the store, couldn't decide and they told me to take this one home and try it out for 14 days, and bring it back if I decide against it. I like the features, I can buy an adapter and use lenses/filters on it, and I get excellent photos with it. I will have to change to memory stick, as I already have sd. I'm just sort of scared to do much with it, it seems so delicate. Anyone have one of these and care to comment?

All the reviewers, c-net, Steve's digicams, etc. love love love the Canon SD600 Elph The case is metal, and it appears much sturdier. I like to take closeups, flowers and such, so I was wondering if there would be a significant difference between the 6mp and the 7.2mp Sony. There is no battery meter, and battery life is shorter than the Sony, but the battery life over all is better than with AA. C-net ranked this camera much higher than the Sony. Steve's digicam ranked it #1 in ultra-compact cameras and the Sony about #4 in compact digital cams, it's cheaper and I can use the SD cards I already have.

After all the reviews and trying these cams in the store, I would go with the Canon, but the only drawback is the difference in the 6 and 7.2 resolution. I'd like to hear from anyone who has either of these or comparable cameras.

The things I insist on are:
1) optical viewfinder
2) movie mode (yeah it's not great, but I still like it for my physics class)
3) small enough for my pocket.
4) under $250 (with all of the sales coming up this week, I thought this would be a great time)

Thanks for any help you can give me!:confused:

7rider
11-21-2006, 04:52 AM
What kind of pictures are you thinking of taking with it?
6 mp seems plenty for walkin' around snapshots that could blow up fine and still give you plenty of clarity for cropping.
Unless you are doing some serious photography with it - at which point I'd say you are probably looking in the wrong market segment - then I think given the pros and cons you spell out, the Canon is perfect for you.

mtbdarby
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Can I add my request as well? I'd like a digi camera I can take on the bike AND take at least a 30 second video of (so I can catch the cute little things my son does and email them to his dad). Does the sony do this?

SR500
11-21-2006, 01:53 PM
We love our Olympus Stylus 720 SW, shock proof, water proof, ultra compact so it fits perfect in a jersey pocket. 7.1 megapix. Great pics!

Bluetree
11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
7 megapixels is a lot of overkill for a pocket camera. It's like paying extra $$$ for a car with a top speed of 250mph instead of 200mph... not much point to it.

mtbdarby, Sony does video, but so do a lot of cameras. With video capabilities, its better to invest in memory. A 4GB card can hold alot of memories! (pun intended)

uforgot
11-21-2006, 04:45 PM
7 megapixels is a lot of overkill for a pocket camera. It's like paying extra $$$ for a car with a top speed of 250mph instead of 200mph... not much point to it.

mtbdarby, Sony does video, but so do a lot of cameras. With video capabilities, its better to invest in memory. A 4GB card can hold alot of memories! (pun intended)

That's what I needed (wanted) to hear. I'll get the Canon. As far as the video is concerned, both of these cameras I described have it as well as my 5mp Kodak camera. While it doesn't replace a real digital camera, they were great for email, or just ones I wanted to keep on a computer. During all of my research, I was surprised to find that it's actually hard to find one that DOESN'T have the video.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Morphine
11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Can I add my request as well? I'd like a digi camera I can take on the bike AND take at least a 30 second video of (so I can catch the cute little things my son does and email them to his dad). Does the sony do this?

If you are looking for handy DC to shoot while riding, why not try the Canon i zoom ? its 5MP, fits nicely (size of the mobile or even smaller !) and works wonders when spinning.

Trek420
11-21-2006, 07:08 PM
I was dragged kicking and screaming to digital, digging my heels in the dirt all the way there.

I like film, I hate pixels, I like the way film responds (it's fast and cheap) it's easy to time and take action shots...I....like...film I like the colors better. :mad:

But when my little point and shoot got covered in Gu the shop said it would be cheaper to get a new camera and I got....

Vivitar Vivicam 3.2 w 4x digital zoom.

Works on standard bateries but man oh man it eats bateries for lunch. I need to get a recharger for the recycled batteries so I do the enviornmentaly correct thing.

It's teeny tiny, slips in a rear jersey pocket....

I still like film

snapdragen
11-21-2006, 07:38 PM
The case is metal, and it appears much sturdier. I like to take closeups, flowers and such, so I was wondering if there would be a significant difference between the 6mp and the 7.2mp Sony.

I can't speak for the differences in mp - but having dropped my new Canon in a parking lot :rolleyes: I can say the case is very sturdy. A few cosmetic scratches - it still works perfectly.

The macro function works well too

Xrayted
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, to get back to this thread, I see you like the Canon too. I still love my Canon Elph 600. Had it for about a month now and I take it everywhere. That nice little case I got to hang it on my handlebars when riding is working out great. It fits nicely in a jacket pocket too. Such easy access and good protection. One of my friends at the hospital bought a Canon 600 after messing with mine. She brought in her vacation pics this week... just gorgeous. Then another friend got one this past w/e after using mine. Loves it. Every shot is a good one. No jitters. Quick on the trigger for a digital PAS. Still nice looking when blown up to 8x10. I got a HP printer to go with it a few days ago, a Photosmart A516. Does 4x6 prints. If you're looking for a separate printer to go with your camera, don't get the Canon printer. May be slightly cheaper in the beginning, but ink, paper, etc... costs much more than the HP and the HP's print much nicer.

Like Trek, I still LOVE film tho. I have my Canon Eos Rebel Ti for more serious shooting. And then there's my older, trusty Chinon CP-9AF that I'll never part with. (I miss Chinons) I fixed her myself when she took a nose dive at Disney World a few years back. Reset lenses, rebuilt the shutter, replaced the battery compartment hinges, door and connections... all from a donor camera. She may have a few more miles on her and be a bit slower than the new models, but she's still my favorite. With age comes a smooth grace. :cool:

Good luck with your Canon. I think you'll love it.

X.

uforgot
11-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Love the daisy and the sturdiness of the case on the canon is what I wanted to hear. That Sony scared me after a lot of reviews I read, but the Canon had nothing but owners who loved it. Here too! If I want a print I send it to Ofoto. Love the look of their prints! (And I usually have them in hand within 2 days.)

It was really great having a place where I can get instant feedback on these cams. I was reading reviews for days and days, and my specific questions were answered on TE! Thanks everyone!:D

Duck on Wheels
11-22-2006, 04:16 AM
I also went digital after discovering on a summer holiday that the money I spent in 3 weeks developing pics was enough to buy a digital. :eek: Although I do still love film (Is this genetic, or were we just socialized the same, Trek420?), there are many advantages to digital:
- small and lightweight encourages habits that keep the camera available whenever you wish it were there ("oh, it IS here, right in my pocket!")
- snap away and ditch the glitches
- easy to download and share electronically
- you can still print, even at home with a good color printer, or online or at a phot shop.
- camera quality is getting good, what with pixels getting cheaper by the million.
But there are also disadvantages:
- shutter delay
- small and light can also mean unstable, easily jolted when you press the button, or breathe, or blink.
- small and light can also mean plastic, i.e. flimsy.
- small and light can also mean so teensy that your own fingers get in the way, or you can't read the icons, or ...
- 3x optical zoom doesn't even get you to 50mm, and digital zoom costs you in pixel density

So I compromised. I went for a medium-sized one that has a good hand-fitting grip and a leeetle bit of heft for a steady hold. It does not fit in a pocket, but is still lightweight and fits easily alongside other gear in my backpack or camelbak. It has 10x optical zoom. I wanted the 4mp version, but it was unavailable at the time, so I settled for 3.2mp. With 10x zoom I'm still getting sharp close-up pictures, even at some distance. (Trek420 keeps saying "lens envy, lens envy" when I show her snaps I've taken, say of ground squirrels we've hiked by, or a closeup of a wildflower, or a shorebird 100 yards off -- not to mention video of the Taiko drummers on Hiroshima day!) I've been pretty happy with it for 3 years now, but ...
I now take so many pics that I need urgently to get my image files in order and set up on my web page!
Also, bits are breaking off the flimsy case, so far both tips of the zoom trigger are gone.
Meanwhile, prices are going down and pixels are going up, so maybe in another year or so I'll replace this one (a Minolta Z1) with even more zoom and pixels, and maybe even an image stabilizer function. :p

Dogmama
11-22-2006, 01:22 PM
I went to a regular camera store and they recommended CANON hands down. Said it is most reliable, sturdy, takes AA batts, etc. I got the Powershot A640 (10 megapixels) and it isn't as small as most, but I won't lose it either! :D I took this picture just now in almost total darkness.

Aseradyn
11-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a Canon PowerShot S70. I had the PowerShot S45 for years - loved it! When I upgraded to the S70, I gave the S45 to my brother. It's now his primary camera, and still taking fantastic pictures, despite the dented case :o

When I went looking for a camera, I was seriously torn between something that I could put in a pocket and an SLR. I settled on the S45 because it took gorgeous pictures - still does! - has a good set of controls, and is relatively small. I got the S70 because I loved the S45 so much.

Size-wise, it's in the middle. Fits comfortably in a jacket pocket, and can go in a pants pocket if it doesn't have to share. It's a little on the heavy side, so I usually carry it in whatever bag I have with me - purse, pannier, backpack, whatever. For outdoor photo quality, it's fabulous. Indoors, it's adequate. And special bonus: there is an underwater housing available that gives you access to 100% of the controls.

It uses a proprietary battery, but it holds a charge admirably. I'll go months without charging it, then pull it out and take dozens of flash pictures. If we're touring somewhere with lots of photo moments - like a trip to Korea I did last year - I need to recharge the battery every evening, or I'll be wishing I had by lunch the next day.

Most of my best photos are incidental - if I didn't just carry a camera everywhere, I'd never have them. But at the same time, I wanted to be able to blow up the photos to a size that's worth framing. (What can I say? I'm proud of my photos ;)) So, I really don't think 7 megapixels is overkill for a pocket camera - it depends on the quality of the camera (optics and so on), the photographer's skill, and intended use of the photos.

Every camera has trade-offs. Everyone has their own ideal point on the spectrum. I'm just thrilled there's such a complete spectrum, these days :D

Dianyla
11-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Another happy Canon Powershot user here. I've had an S410 and now use an S500. I'd love to upgrade someday to the slimmer sexier SD 600/700 generation of the Elph lineage.

:)

Cassandra_Cain
11-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I have a Nikon D70s full SLR and am a self-confessed photography geek. Although a very small part of me misses processing film and doing infrared in particular - there is something really spiritual almost about process and doing your own prints in a darkroom. Still, digital is great and for the most, though not all, applications, the way to go. From scene to e-mail or photo album in no time at all with endless options for editing and tinkering....(hello photoshop!) :D

For most people though, a point-and-shoot is plenty and is going to get them the snapshots they want. If I were going to get a point-and-shoot, I'd probably get something like a Canon A610.

SadieKate
02-20-2007, 07:31 AM
I realized Sunday that my digital camera has become a dinsaur. Fancy little thing back in 2002, but now. . . . :o Jobob had her Canon SD600 with her and I have fallen in lust. More zoom, big screen, same pocket size.

Anyone have experience with the SD700 or SD800 with the added stability? I've always been a fan of cameras that run on AAs also but these are looking so tempting.

Also, any experience with the new high speed SD cards?

90% of my photos are fishing or bicycling-related, so the faster the better. And definitely need the zoom but can't sacrifice the size.