PDA

View Full Version : sore throat

Brandi
10-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I have had a sore throat for a week now. I don't see any white spots on my tonsils or anything but I am getting tired of it. It keeps me from doing things like ride my bike for one. Can a sore throat last this long? I do have preety bad post nasal drip. I am taking the max dose of ibprofin a day it is the only thing that helps the pain. I got this stupid sore throat the night before my birthday. My friends had a party for me yesterday and i couldn't enjoy it. My husband keeps wanting to take me out for my favorite meal (sushi) for my birthday but I have held off cause I want to enjoy it. When do i go to the Dr? I mean I don't see any spots just a red throat and runny nose. I am really tired too. I am gargling with salt water and doing a nose rinse thing too.I think it has gone to my ear cause it hurts when I open my mouth sometimes. Maybe this is a ear thing? I am getting sad just waiting for this to go away.

Kitsune06
10-22-2006, 07:03 PM
This is something I'd have checked out. No white spots/white residue speaks more of an infection or irritation due to drainage than an illness like strep or mono, but there are exceptions for everything. If it is a drainage issue, and your ears are involved, it could be because the irritation is also affecting the openings of the eustacian (sp?) tubes in the throat. I'd personally try a strong antihistimine like benedryl to clear up the drainage and licorice tea with slippery elm to soothe the mucous membranes.
Either way, you *should* go get a physician's opinion on it... but if you decide to hold off (little to no swelling of the lymph nodes, low or no fever) look into the hippy herbal cures I have. :D

Brandi
10-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Yea I have no fever. I have been sucking on slippery elm lozenges. And taking a pretty strong allergy med.:confused:

LBTC
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey, Brandi

Sorry you're feeling awful.

I always think that any cold or flu (upper respiratory infection) should run its course in about a week, if you treat yourself right, get lots of rest, and drink lots of fluids. If it lasts longer than a week, it's time to see a doctor.

I once let a sore throat not interrupt me at all - kept up my exercise routine (I still had good energy), didn't really try to get extra rest, etc....after 4 weeks I had strep throat. Ouch. Now that really wiped me out!!

See a doc. Doesn't hurt to try the things that Kitsune suggested, however, benadryl may actually make your throat feel more dry and sore.....but if you are having an allergic reaction, it should help the rest of the symptoms.

Hugs and butterflies,

~T~

Kitsune06
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
what type of allergy med? You might be best off just looking into a dr.'s appointment, if you have health insurance. If not, I'd reccommend warm water gargles, warm teas (I think liquorice has antimicrobial properties...)...
oh, and Knot's honey and apple cider vinegar tonic. I think it's somewhere in the 'health' column, but honey does wonders for sore throats, and the apple cider vinegar might help you, being just acid enough to maybe kill some of the irritants.
All in all, the no-fever, no-spots say it's an irritant like sinus drainage. I'd be hesitant to clean your sinus passages as often if the warm saline solution is running down your throat too much.

Melstar
10-23-2006, 01:55 AM
yep i agree with kitsune, it might be your dripping nose that is causing your sore throat. I htink the ears nose eyes throat are all connected.

hsmpcycle
10-23-2006, 04:58 AM
I am in the same boat. I am having the sore throat trouble with no other symptoms except for sinus problems (stuffy nose or drainage). I figure it is allergy related with a combination of weather and temperature changes. I have been taking Clariton to help with the stuffiness but it doesn't help with the sore throat.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-23-2006, 05:34 AM
If you have sore throat and aching ears and such, I would think that is not an allergy but rather a cold or other infection. I wouldn't be taking allergy medication for that, especially any strong ones. It could make you feel worse, and won't help with getting you better if it's not just allergies.

Try switching to just something that will dry up your nose a bit while you get through this cold. If you get worse like infected sinuses, go to the doctor. If it just is hanging on as a long cold without getting worse, get lots of SLEEP and drink hot tea and juices and gargle with salt water.

indysteel
10-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Here's my recent sore throat story. I came down with a really sore throat a few weeks ago, but had very few other symptoms. I had a slight fever one day, general fatigue and a small rash on my stomach/chest. Thinking it could be strep, I would to the doctor and found out that I'd caught a virus that kids readily pass around called Hand-Foot-and-Mouth. I'd only heard of it for the first time a year ago when friend's child got it (this is the same child I picked it up from when he had his second bout with it). It's not that serious and there's not much you can do about it, but you might want to have it checked out if you have similar symptoms. In kids, the rash appears on their hands and feet (hence the name). I'm not really sure why I got the rash where I did.

In any event, I hope all of you feel better.

Kate

bikerchick68
10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
no other symptoms besides sore throat and runny nose? Yep, my guess is allergies too. I had a dore throat, really, really bad like this for over a week when I was 29yrs old... finally took myself in to the clinic cause I couldn't swallow without pain... told them I may have Strep, but that I wasn't sure since no fever....

Allergies, the doc says. I had allergies. I tried arguing, since I'd never had them before... he said "welcome to the 30's club... you're a bit early" :rolleyes: great... another joy of getting older... sigh...

You said you're taking strong stuff, but you may need to find the right one for YOU... the ONLY one that works for me is Benadryl... nothing else has any effect whatsoever...

good luck, and hopefully your doc can getcha back on track asap!

Brandi
10-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I take claritin on a daily basis cause I have such bad allergies. I have to say I was feeling really run down too. Ahhh but the good news is I feel better today. I spent all day yesterday doing nothing but lay in my bean bag, drink mint tea (from my garden) take little cat naps and watched old movies. I also made a veggie soup for dinner. I slept really good last night. I haven't had to take anything for pain all day which is good cause I think my stomach was starting to get affected by it. I am keeping my finger's crossed that I am on the mend. My friend did a culture on my throat and it came back negative today, so that's good. thank you for all your advise and stories! I really appreciate it. Happy monday!

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-23-2006, 04:26 PM
More sleep, more tea, more soup, less medication!
(motherly advice over) :o

Offthegrid
10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Bummer, ain't it? I know it's probably overrated, but I always up my vitamin C when I start to feel sick. And I get a sore throat anytime before I get sick.

hsmpcycle
10-23-2006, 06:56 PM
no other symptoms besides sore throat and runny nose? Yep, my guess is allergies too. I had a dore throat, really, really bad like this for over a week when I was 29yrs old... finally took myself in to the clinic cause I couldn't swallow without pain... told them I may have Strep, but that I wasn't sure since no fever....

Allergies, the doc says. I had allergies. I tried arguing, since I'd never had them before... he said "welcome to the 30's club... you're a bit early" :rolleyes: great... another joy of getting older... sigh...

You said you're taking strong stuff, but you may need to find the right one for YOU... the ONLY one that works for me is Benadryl... nothing else has any effect whatsoever...

good luck, and hopefully your doc can getcha back on track asap!

Oh my goodness!!! I turn 30 November 8th and never had allergies until last year!!!! That suxs!!! What else?

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-24-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm convinced that because I grew up in grossly unsanitary conditions, that's a major reason why I've never had any allergies. :rolleyes:

margo49
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
propolis and goldenseal.
I am so primitive and have access to a bee-hives so I actually chew raw propolis (and wings and stings and G*d knows what-all-else)
Goldenseal you can gargle a tincture.