PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs 10/19 - 10/22

Grog
10-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Had my longest run in a while today, a tame 13 km. It was slower than usual but we maintained conversation all the way so it's not that bad. I was thinking about the gals running a marathon this weekend, it kept me going.

I discovered that my pain threshold - the moment when I start slightly feeling my quads and knees - came at 1h10m instead of the regular 55m, but then I realized that I had taken 2 advils when I woke up because of a terrible headache (still a bit congested).

We also discovered new trails which were extremely pleasant in the Pacific Spirit Park. These make me look forward to the next long run (because they're a bit far for a normal run).

This week my "short" runs take me 8 and 9.5 km, and next week's long run is a 15km. I'm visiting new, uncharted terrain (for me!).

yellow
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
(yellow goes to the converter (http://www.metric-conversions.org/measurement-conversions.htm), and finds out that 13 km is 8.07782549908534 miles.)

Right on, Grog! I'm only up to the 7 mile (or 12.07008 km) range. Do you run on trails all the time? I've (very) recently decided that's all I'm going to run on. My knee doesn't hurt as badly if I run on dirt.

I have no idea how far I went today as I have no way to calculate and did not wear a watch. My guess is about 7 miles, all on up-and-down trail. I walked two hills. It was a very, very lovely run :D . I did 6 miles yesterday on a different very nice trail; those are the longest back-to-back runs I've done since I started running again. I continue to be amazed at how building a base by cycling has allowed me to jump into mileage I thought would be unattainable for a couple of months (I started again in mid-September after almost 4 years off). "Muscle memory" (whatever that is) has something to do with it as well; I almost feel like my old running self.

:D

Grog
10-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I run a mix of trails and pavement, depending on the time of day and weather (when it rains the trails in the forest can be nicely shielded from the worst).

It is nicer on the knees and on the mind too.

I find that cycling has helped with running... but not that much. Riding hills has helped with the cardio and for running on hills as well. That's a good thing!

Bikingmomof3
10-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Congrats Grog! Enjoy the new trails. :)

I alternate between pavement and trails. I prefer trails, but some days it just is not possible to get there.

kaybee
10-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Didn't get to post over the weekend, but we did our second 10 miler on Saturday. At this point we're feeling "cautiously confident" about the half marathon. Next Saturday is 11 miles. :eek:

Yellow and Grog, you're right about cycling making running easier -- I'm a much stronger runner since I started riding. Too bad I'm still a wimpy rider.

Run on ladies!

KB

btchance
10-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Did 8.5mi yesterday - was wanting 10, but I did a hard ride Sat and when the clouds started rolling in, winds picking up from the north, and getting colder at 11am, I headed back home. At least I got that much in, though.

Found out today that I'm not on call for the weekend of tje 1/2 mary, so no excuses not to do it. Now I just have to actually sign up. :D

kaybee
10-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Bt, when's the half? Where? Go ahead, sign up -- you know you want to! ;)

KB

btchance
10-23-2006, 04:19 PM
KB - it's Nov. 11 in Huntsville, AL - one the local running club puts it on. I've got the form filled out and just have to put it in the mail. :) No excuses not to.

colby
10-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, I did my second to last long run yesterday. This is really disgusting, but I almost found it fun. The more of them I do, the easier they get. Maybe because I'm getting faster, maybe because I'm getting the mental technique down? Who knows. I'll take easier.

I ran somewhere between 20 and 24 miles yesterday (I deviated from my 4 mile loop on the last loop, so I don't really know, and I ran out of water so I stopped and walked instead of pushing for the last mile). Faster than the last 20 mile loop including the extra miles. WTF? Whatever. :) Weather was sunny but chilly, between 35 and 40 degrees. Still hoping to finish under 5 hours, maybe down to 4:30 but I won't hold my breath given the terrain difference on the course vs. my weekly runs. Finishing at all will be great. ;)

On my last loop, I went up a hill close to the beginning of the loop instead of one in the middle. I thought about repeating it, but that's where I ran out of water and headed home instead. I know the marathon couse I'm doing is hilly at the end, so on my next long run I will be trying to repeat hills a bit (that sounds brutal, long runs and hills... but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess). I have also been sprinting at the end of EACH loop for up to 1/4 mile to make a note of how that feels each time.

Mentally, taking the runs in 4 mile loops has helped me a lot. I think "just 6 1/2 loops" to a marathon instead of 26 miles. I set a goal for each 4-mile set, generally I have been doing "under 45 minutes" and considering the minutes I finish faster (which starts out 5, then degrades) as a "bonus" that I can "spend" at the end of the marathon if I am tired. So far I haven't been spending them unless I get rocks in my shoes, or have to stop to toss my gel packets in the trash, or have some other wardrobe malfunction. I mark off the loops as I get to them -- mile 4, I say out loud "that's one!" then mile 8, "that's two!" and so on. I am literally doing loops, but I hope this helps me when I'm doing the marathon in one direction as well. I will ignore my time until I get to 4, then check and calculate my "bonus" time.

Also, I have been practising visualisation. If I feel my face wrinkling or squinting in the sun, or if I am feeling tired or beat up, I loosen up my arms, relax my neck/shoulders, and imagine the "feeling" of success. I will visualise something that made me feel proud of myself (it can be simple, like someone laughing at a joke, or a nice meal with friends), and I will visualise the last time I crossed a finish line feeling strong (for me, very recently, at the half marathon -- even though I was slow, I sprinted to the finish and crossed feeling awesome). I also imagined the other runners this weekend finishing their races, which helped me imagine me finishing mine.

Now, I am a little torqued because my $85 CW-X pants are falling apart at the inner seams where we humans have thigh-rubbing issues. They have a hole in them, and one seam rubbed where it normally rubs against the other, except there was that hole thing, and now I have what can only be called Chafe City on the inside of my thigh. ARRGH. Any suggestions on how to fix them? I don't have a sewing machine, but I really love these pants. I wear them every time I run. Maybe I will wear something over the top of them after I fix them (shorts or something? light waterproof track pants?). HELP.

After my miles (and PB&J among other foodstuffs), it was time to put in our sprinkler system in the backyard so I got to squat over trenches and dig them out (already dug with a ditch-witch, but dirt had fallen back in), wrangle 1" pipe across the yard, screw in sprinklers, and fill trenches for about 4 hours. On the bright side, at least I finished my run faster than we finished putting in the sprinklers? ;) My back is not impressed, but my legs just feel normally stiff, not extra stiff.

One more long run then it's taper time... Next week is a tame 10 miles, then my LAST long run of 20-26 miles (20 miles for "just want to finish" and 26 for "beginner on a mission" -- I usually divide the difference), then two 12 milers, then my marathon. It's coming up fast!!

Off to read everyone's race reports... I'll be back looking for advice on my cool pants ;)

colby
10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
KB - it's Nov. 11 in Huntsville, AL - one the local running club puts it on. I've got the form filled out and just have to put it in the mail. :) No excuses not to.

Do it, BT!! :D

Grog
10-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey Colby you're doing great! Your long run report is really inspiring and makes me look forward to longer runs too! I'm very amazed that you spent time in the garden after, too! Wow!

kaybee
10-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Yeah, BT, drop that sucker in the mail!

Colby, it sounds like you're ready. Can you hand-stitch those tights back together? You know, you're making me want to run a marathon, which I do not have time to train for! Does anyone else feel like there are just so many things that you want to do, but just don't have the time? I want to run more, ride more, maybe learn how to swim properly, go on a bike tour, run more, ride more, etc., but there's not enough time! (Sigh) If only I didn't have to work for a living . . .

KB

Deborajen
10-24-2006, 07:40 AM

Go for it. You'll be glad you did! ;)

Deb

colby
10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Colby, it sounds like you're ready. Can you hand-stitch those tights back together?

I'm only hesitant because it's Lycra, and I don't want to ruin it. So, if I hand-stitch, I want to do it right. There is enough fabric there to put back together, the stitching just frayed and unwound. Maybe I could take it somewhere and have it fixed? But where would that be??

I sure wish my grandma lived nearby. She is the QUEEN of sewing (and most things domestic -- six kids, two of them twin boys, and a daughter with Down's syndrome... she did it all). I could just hand them off and she'd fix them correctly and safely, and my only payment would be conversation (which sometimes is tedious, but I'm sure I'll miss it when she's gone).

You know, you're making me want to run a marathon, which I do not have time to train for! Does anyone else feel like there are just so many things that you want to do, but just don't have the time? I want to run more, ride more, maybe learn how to swim properly, go on a bike tour, run more, ride more, etc., but there's not enough time! (Sigh) If only I didn't have to work for a living . . .

I know exactly how you feel. This morning I said I felt like I was married to my husband, my job, and running. :) I think I am at the point where I'm far enough into my training and the race is close enough that I am starting to feel anxious. It's not just a daily run, it's a mission. I miss my bike, I miss cross-training, I miss some of the flexibility of not training for something (or, at least something THIS big). Double-edged sword -- training FOR something gives me purpose, but it also gives me a schedule I don't feel like I can play too much with.

At least we're wishing for more hours in the day to do more fun things, not to get more work done ;)

kaybee
10-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Colby, if you don't feel comfortable stitching up those tights by hand you could take them to an alterations shop and ask them to repair them. Those folks can handle the stretchy fabric and make them look like new.

Boy, do I understand what you said about training give you a purpose. I NEED to have goals at all times.

KB

btchance
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
alrighty ladies - it's in the mail, so I'm doing it!! Nov 11, 13.1 miles, here I come!

yellow
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Colby...ain't nothing like going out and running for 4 or 5 hours. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! :D I never got the same feeling on my long rides over the summer (up to 145 miles in one day and nothing, nada, no high at all). I wish I would have, but didn't. Running was always my first love. *sigh*

And bt, have a great run. Sounds like you are ready for it.

I now have a new "goal": Thanksgiving Day trail run with the local trail running group. Run 2.5 k or 20 k, whatever you like. It's on a 2.5 k loop course. Naturally, I'm hoping I'll be able to do all 5 loops! OK, so maybe just 4 by then. :rolleyes:

kaybee
10-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Go, BT! Can't wait to hear a race report.

KB