PDA

View Full Version : Slug Gulch - w/o all the miles!

Veronica
04-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Ever since AkaAKim told me about the Sierra Century I've been intrigued by Slug Gulch. (What a cool name!) But sort of too chicken to try it. One of our club members has put together a Memorial Weekend ride - info below- that just seemed to make it more doable to me.

V.

Memorial Weekend Madness (part 1 - Slug Gulch) + 65 miles
Saturday, May 29, 2004 9:00 AM
Meet at Town of Plymouth, in front of the Fairgrounds
Get rid of any fear of Slug Gulch! A beautiful Sierra foothill ride, we bypass most of the Sierra Century metric route and get into most of the second half of their 120 miler. From Plymouth we will go up Mt Aukum and travel up the dreaded Slug Gulch. On this ride we will be hitting Slug Gulch at appx mile 30, not mile 77 like on the Sierra Century. Then you’ll see the rest of the “secret” 120 mile route (during the Sierra Century you only get the bonus route map if you finish Slug Gluch by the cutoff), traveling up through the El Dorado forest to the 5000’ level, to Hwy 88 and Cooks Station. Then miles and miles of an unbelievable rolling downhill to Fiddletown and back to Plymouth. A couple small general stores en route, so take $$$. This is one we’ll keep the group together, or go by Nick Salvador rules (if you finish a climb you have to come back down for the last rider.) This is a beautiful ride, not to be missed. Please email Jay if you intend on joining in.
Email: pumpkincycle [at] earthlink [dot] net

aka_kim
04-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Cool! But only a week before the Sierra Century :(. Hmm, I'll have to think about this... I would like to try Slug Gulch with fresh legs.