PDA

View Full Version : Road rides for the D.C. crowd

7rider
10-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Hiya.
Kalidurga, DivingBiker, etc...
Was wondering how meeting at Riley's Lock was for a ride. Was it convenient enough to use again for a road ride? A friend and I will be doing the Peach Tree loop tomorrow from the Urban Escapes list off of: http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/
That route leaves from Riley's. It's a 25 mile loop. I'm wondering if folks would like to meet up again there for an autumn road ride.
Thoughts?

Kalidurga
10-20-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm still out in western Md and totally pooped from the last two days of riding but, yeah, once I've recuperated I'd be up for a road ride leaving from Riley's.

That Peach Tree route does seem pretty popular. Montevideo Rd is where I encountered a bunch of road riders all strung out in the middle of the road coming up a curvy hill not too long ago. If we take that route, I'll definitely be hugging the side of the road, so I don't piss off any drivers like me who might come along behind us ;)

divingbiker's route goes for 40 miles through the same territory. There are so many back roads in that area, it'd be easy to put together multiple routes of varying length and hilliness. I might have to spend next season exploring that area from my bike instead of my car.

divingbiker
10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Meeting at Riley's Lock works great for a road ride, except for having to climb the hill on River Road at the very beginning of the ride. I read in a book at the bike shop today that even people who like to climb hate that hill because it happens so early in the ride before you're warmed up. I'll be up for a road ride this fall.

7rider
10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I read that on the cue sheet and wasn't too keen on that! :p
Tomorrow we're actually parking near the orchard (Gads...can't remember the name - apples, hay rides, pumpkins, etc) that we plan to hit on our return (they won't be open when we leave). We plan to pick up the route at Darnestown and Whites Ferry roads. So, it looks like the route we do may actually avoid the lock and its hill. I'll find out if my friend's parking location is better or as convenient as Riley's and maybe we could just use Riley's Lock as a rest stop (there are facilities, there, right? Always important!). That way, we'd hit that hill warmed up.

Kalidurga
10-23-2006, 01:39 AM
I probably missed your ride report, Regina, but did you and your friend do the Peach Tree loop over the weekend? I'm curious to know where you parked in order to begin at Rte 28 and White's Ferry Rd, and which direction you did the loop in. Even without starting at Riley's Lock, it looks like you hit a few decent hills on that route!

Jen
10-23-2006, 03:50 AM
My riding buddy and I live in that immediate area. We can ride with you sometime. My friend likes that ride. I havn't done it yet. I an kind of a newbie but a strong one.

aicabsolut
10-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I an kind of a newbie but a strong one.

Me too..well, I don't even know about how strong when hills are involved.

I did a loop that sounds a bit like that. Hop on the bike, go a few hundred yards, and the hills begin. It's not until maybe mile 10 or so that you get to a fun, fast section. Not great on cold legs. But there's nowhere to start with any fewer hills:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=504348. (charlottesville area) (some roads can be ridden longer if you love hills, but I start where there's a parking lot friendly to bikers).

I don't mind a bit of a drive to get out of the stop and go, (I live way down in Foggy Bottom) so long as I can park somewhere. And some of those cue sheets seem so complicated..I'd get lost because I could only memorize so much and I wouldn't want to have to worry about reading the thing all the time.

Maybe this spring I'll be ready :)

7rider
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
I probably missed your ride report, Regina, but did you and your friend do the Peach Tree loop over the weekend? I'm curious to know where you parked in order to begin at Rte 28 and White's Ferry Rd, and which direction you did the loop in. Even without starting at Riley's Lock, it looks like you hit a few decent hills on that route!

Hi there.
Yeah, I discussed the ride a bit in the Oct 21 ride report.
We did the loop. It was really nice. The hills were moderate - nothing killer, I think. What was there was pretty short.
We parked at a plaza at the corner of Darnestown Rd and Muddy Branch. It was good because there was a Starbucks there (P-break before we even got on the road!) and a bagel shop and Spring Mill Breads for snacks when we got back! Yummm...
We left around 7:30 a.m., so the traffic wasn't bad, and there's a bike lane on Darnestown. We took a right out of the plaza and rode with traffic for about 5.5 miles before we hit White Grounds Rd. From that intersection of Darnestown and White Grounds, we picked up the route from the cue-sheet. On River Rd, we took a left onto Montevideo, so we didn't hit Riley's Lock (or that hill) at all.
Downside of where we started: It's actually a slight downhill for the ride down Darnestown, so it's an uphill slog (overall) at the finish. Rollers, but the overall direction is UP. Always a bummer to end a ride with an uphill. :(
Also, because the plaza was on the opposite side of the road, to get back to my truck, we needed to cross Darnestown Rd, take a left at the light onto Muddy Branch and scoot into the lot. It wasn't horrible, we took a lane behind some cars and boogied with the green, but if that makes you uncomfortable, it would probably be good find a start point on the opposite side of the street (I'm sure there are some other locales) so you end the ride on the same side of the street as where you're parked.
There was a park further down Darnestown (I think it's "Darnestown Park" just past Rt 112/Seneca Rd) where there was a parking lot and restrooms. That could be a workable alternative, perhaps, and shave the ride down to about a 30 mile loop. It's still on the "wrong" side of the street - but it's quieter there and probably easier to cross.

aicabsolut
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Question:

Where to go this weekend with the marathon in town? I can't get through Georgetown to Va trails and looks like Rock Creek is out too.

Maybe I'll have to skip Sunday and do Saturday instead. It's not crazy then yet is it? (Haven't lived here long). But for anyone who cares, the Washington International Horse Show is here this week, so I would be riding *very* early on Sat. to get done in time to watch and visit friends at the Verizon Center.

Kalidurga
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Question:

Where to go this weekend with the marathon in town? I can't get through Georgetown to Va trails and looks like Rock Creek is out too.

Can you get to the 14th St bridge and head over into VA that way? Or, can you head up north of G'town and get on the Beltway from River Rd?

As for a MD road ride, I'd love to get out and ride this Saturday, providing that the weather is not like today. This cold wind turns me into a total whiny baby. If it's cold but not windy, does anyone else want to hit the Darnestown/Poolesville area this Saturday?

Velobambina
10-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Question:

Maybe I'll have to skip Sunday and do Saturday instead. It's not crazy then yet is it? (Haven't lived here long). But for anyone who cares, the Washington International Horse Show is here this week, so I would be riding *very* early on Sat. to get done in time to watch and visit friends at the Verizon Center.

Why not metro from Foggy Bottom to Rosslyn and catch the Custis or Mt. Vernon Trail? Access to the trails is right down the street from the Rosslyn Metro stop (go to the Key Bridge Marriot). If your bike can handle gravel/dirt, you can always just head west on the C&O. Or ride in Rock Creek Park?

aicabsolut
10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks. 14th St bridge is out too for the race.

I'd do MD too, but I won't have time this weekend. And yeah, I'd need some cold weather gear first too.

I think FB elevator is out these days, but I could figure something out. Will Mt Vernon be a zoo with the race going on around the parkway? I don't know about getting to Custis, because Key might be blocked too..not sure about on that side of the river. I can't do C&O on my bike, but I could do Rock Creek. I could even get to rock creek I think before the closings, but it looks like they run along the parkway and probably turn around somewhere near the Beach loop..

Looking like it's gonna have to be Saturday for me..

Thanks, though. I might could still make Mt Vernon if I can figure the metro thing out.

7rider
10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
As for a MD road ride, I'd love to get out and ride this Saturday, providing that the weather is not like today. This cold wind turns me into a total whiny baby. If it's cold but not windy, does anyone else want to hit the Darnestown/Poolesville area this Saturday?

Saturday's weather (so far) looks good - cool, but not crazy cold (unless you want to leave at the crack o' dawn like my friend, Margot! :rolleyes: )
I'd be up for a ride in that area. We have some errands to run and stuff to do around the house, but that's pretty flexible.
Were you thinking of that Peach Tree Loop? It was really pretty - and hopefully this wind hasn't taken down all the leaves.

Kalidurga
10-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Were you thinking of that Peach Tree Loop? It was really pretty - and hopefully this wind hasn't taken down all the leaves.

Any loop through the Darnestown/Poolesville area would be fine with me. Bear in mind, though, that it'll be my first real road ride, so you may have to be patient as I deal with the combination of hills and cars together. 9 a.m. was a good time for the recent C&O ride-- would that work, or do you want to try for just a little earlier?

Nicole, Janice, are either of you available and interested in a Saturday morning ride? Anyone else?

Damn, I haven't cleaned my bike yet after vacation... Guess I should do that one evening this week :rolleyes:

divingbiker
10-25-2006, 12:09 PM
I would love to ride Saturday, but I have GOT to do yard work this weekend. I've neglected my yard all summer, and I need to take care of it before the really cold weather sets in. Darn it--I hate having to be responsible!

7rider
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I would love to ride Saturday, but I have GOT to do yard work this weekend. I've neglected my yard all summer, and I need to take care of it before the really cold weather sets in. Darn it--I hate having to be responsible!

I totally hear you. I spent last weekend doing the front yard, and I'm afraid to tackle the back yard - there's just so much to do, it's overwhelming. (aside: Do you think it's too late to put down Milky Spore for the Japanese Beetles?) So...I avoid it and go bike riding! :p

Actually, an a.m. ride would be great as you'll have the rest of the day to do the yard work. A bike ride is good to clear the mind and put you in a yard frame of mind. At least, that's what I tell myself! Join us!

Do you want to meet at 8:30? At Riley's Lock or at the plaza at Darnestown and Muddy Branch Rds?

divingbiker
10-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually, an a.m. ride would be great as you'll have the rest of the day to do the yard work.

Yeah, well, it wouldn't work quite like that for me. What would happen is I'd get home from the ride, take a shower, have lunch, lie down on the couch to read the paper, fall asleep or get hooked on a What Not to Wear marathon, decide that it's too late to get started on the yard, and end up doing nothing. Again.

Nope, I'm going to get up bright and early Saturday and tackle those weeds and dead tree limbs! Have a nice ride.

Kalidurga
10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, well, it wouldn't work quite like that for me. What would happen is I'd get home from the ride, take a shower, have lunch, lie down on the couch to read the paper, fall asleep or get hooked on a What Not to Wear marathon, decide that it's too late to get started on the yard, and end up doing nothing. Again.

Ha! That's me almost exactly! That's part of why I usually ride later in the day.

There's now a chance of rain Saturday morning. At this point, I want to ride. If the weather Saturday morning is windy &/or rainy, though, I'm gonna bag it. Regina, should we trade e-mails or phone calls Friday night or Saturday morning to confirm the ride?

7rider
10-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Ha! That's me almost exactly! That's part of why I usually ride later in the day.

There's now a chance of rain Saturday morning. At this point, I want to ride. If the weather Saturday morning is windy &/or rainy, though, I'm gonna bag it. Regina, should we trade e-mails or phone calls Friday night or Saturday morning to confirm the ride?

Yeah....that's why my yard looks like such a mess, too!
"Ride early so you have the rest of the day to get everything else done" works fine in theory. It's the practice part that is hard! :rolleyes: The pull of the couch after a ride can sometimes be overwhelming!

Yuck, I saw the weekend forecast. Saturday a.m.'s not looking good.
Kali, I'll PM you my cell number and email (I'll likely have the cell on vs. checking email Saturday a.m.).
Edit: Whoops.. Can't PM you Kali, it won't let me. Options?

Jen
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Geeez, that is where my friend and I ride. That is her favorite ride. This weekend we are doing the Onancock Virginia "Between the Waters" ride,
20,35,62,100 you choose. We may get severly rained out. If so, we head back home on Sat. AM and go out around Darnstown and Poolsville on Sunday. Last week we did the capitol cressant trail and rock creek park trail to Georgetown then back up the trail from Georgetown to Bethesda. Nice ride but very crowded. Went slow because of so many people and unsafe riders. I am new to this but she has been a great mentor. I just love it, love it, love it. Yum, yum, yum. The River road ride with the hill, I've heard of it. We did one like that to McAuther Blvd with a shorter hill on the return. not too bad.

Kalidurga
10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Regina, I just e-mailed you via the forum.

Jen, since you've ridden over there, you'll have to join us sometime. If, of course, the weather lets us schedule a ride any time soon... :rolleyes:

aicabsolut
10-26-2006, 07:27 PM
No! Don't tell me about the weather. I bought some tights today and decided to give Saturday a shot since Sunday looks like it'll be too complicated. Boo. I don't have rain gear.. or particularly like 40 degree rain.

Kalidurga
10-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Here's the hourly prediction for Saturday morning from Accuweather: Gaithersburg (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&zipcode=20879&metric=0&hbhday=3&hbhhour=6). Apparently, as of now, they're predicting the rain will be over by 1 in the afternoon.

Regina, I got your e-mail and at this point, I'm definitely saying no to a morning ride. Do you (or anyone else) want to ride in the afternoon, or will there be too much traffic on the roads by then? If this road ride doesn't happen, I'll probably head out to Hancock and ride the Western Maryland Rail-Trail in the afternoon. I haven't been on the bike since my GAPt ride last Thursday, and withdrawal is setting in!

Jen
10-27-2006, 03:08 AM
What is the Western Maryland Rail Trail like? I think I saw something for that in one of the books. How long is it?

Kalidurga
10-27-2006, 03:21 AM
What is the Western Maryland Rail Trail like? I think I saw something for that in one of the books. How long is it?

The WMRT (http://www.hancockmd.com/WMRT/) is a great trail (if you like flat surfaces). It's 22.5 miles and parallels the C&O Canal towpath from near Fort Frederick, through Hancock, and out to Pearree, MD. It's really beautiful out there. My goal for this year was to be able to ride the entire trail round-trip. Since I hit 37 miles on my GAP trail ride last week, I'm thinking I could hit that goal this weekend, provided the weather (and my own laziness) lets me get an early enough start.

If I don't do the road ride or the WMRT tomorrow, the other option I was considering is to head down to Purcellville, VA and head east on the W&OD trail (http://www.wodfriends.org/). It's also a paved rail-trail, but has some long, mildly graded hills and more exposure to wind.

Ugh, I'm now realizing that in addition to cleaning my bike, I should probably put the smoother tires back on since I'm planning to ride pavement this weekend. Guess I know how I'm spending my Friday night...

7rider
10-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Hey folks.
Yeah, Looks like a Saturday a.m. ride is a none-starter.
Bummer.
I can't ride later in the day and I've got plans on Sunday.
You're more ambitious than I, Kali, as you're planning on trucking somewhere anyway. I'm not looking forward to yardwork in the rain. Looks like an errand and shopping day instead!

Jen
10-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Tomorrow AM, diffinately rain, maybe alot. Wind too. Sunday, sunny but very windy, 20 -30 MPH. That is too much. For your ride on the C&0 Canal, don't you need an all terrain bike or mountain? That is gravel, not road bike terrain. My riding buddy and I are considering buying a bikes for the canal ride. Great place to ride.

Kalidurga
10-27-2006, 05:35 AM
For your ride on the C&0 Canal, don't you need an all terrain bike or mountain? That is gravel, not road bike terrain. My riding buddy and I are considering buying a bikes for the canal ride. Great place to ride.

Yeah, the C&O is an awesome place to ride and definitely one of my favorite routes. I'd recommend a wide, semi-knobby tire bike because of the crushed stone, tree roots and mud, but I have seen thru-riders (folks riding the entire towpath and camping along the way) doing it with thin, smooth tires on what appeared to be road bikes. I've even seen a thru-rider on a recumbent. Depends on how much of a masochist you are, I guess ;) My 'cross bike has been great on the towpath this year.

You're more ambitious than I, Kali, as you're planning on trucking somewhere anyway. I'm not looking forward to yardwork in the rain. Looks like an errand and shopping day instead!

Sorry, Regina. Let's keep watching the weather on upcoming weekends, though, cause I'd really like to get out and do some road riding with you. As for my ambition, well... My ambition to get out and play is, unfortunately, such that my apartment has been only halfway re-painted for over a year now. At least you're planning on using a crappy weather day to do necessary stuff!

HillSlugger
10-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi,

If you want to do this ride next weekend I can probably join you. At the moment either day could work.

Nicole

aicabsolut
10-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I wound up going out today, because it was so warm this morning. Not a very long ride because I waffled about doing it for a while since it was dark so late this morning. But I did whirl around Mt. Vernon trail for a while. A few packs of runners but a very quiet trail for once. Kind of gross with the puddles and no fenders but much better than my original Rock Creek plan would've been. Decent workout and I'm getting better in traffic..had to deal with some road construction on M. My stops and starts are much improved. :) I still put it in a pretty low gear unless I'm racing to make a green (love those counters on the crosswalk signs) just in case.

I haven't ridden enough in the past few weeks though and it was hard to keep spinning smoothly on the smallest "hills" in a decent gear. But at least I got out there today. I'd like to meet up for a real country road ride if I can make it out to where y'all are (on time and the not getting lost thing) some weekend.

Kalidurga
10-29-2006, 03:54 AM
Nicole (and Regina, et al), I have to work next Saturday, but Sunday's wide open. If the weather's decent, I'm good to go for a road ride (though I'll need to remember to swap my tires back to the smooth ones).

aicabsolut, bravo to you for getting out yesterday! When I finally got moving yesterday morning, I spent a leisurely two hours cleaning my bike and fiddling around with the brakes. Then I made the mistake of looking out the window at the trees being blown around and resigned myself to not riding after all.

I'm planning to check out the new exhibit at AVAM up in B'more today, but I think I'm gonna take the bike along with me. It's a fairly quick jaunt from there up to the North Central Rail-Trail (http://bikewashington.org/trails/ncr/ncr.htm), so I could conceivably squeeze in a ride this afternoon. Though if the wind is gusty today, I'll end up paranoid that it'll blow the bike off the roof of the car... Y'know, I really hate wind! I could never live in Kansas.

7rider
10-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Next Sunday is the 5th, right?
I'm planning on doing a Ride Like a Girl mountain bike ride at Schaeffer with MORE (Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts) that day.
http://www.ridelikeagirl.org/ and http://www.more-mtb.org/index.php?styleid=8
I tried to do one of these rides last May, but crashed on Bike-to-Work day, was off the bike for a bit, and couldn't make it.
I'd be up for some road riding on Saturday, however.

divingbiker
10-29-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm planning on doing a Ride Like a Girl mountain bike ride at Schaeffer with MORE (Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts) that day.

I'm thinking about doing this RLAG ride also. Maybe I'll see you there.

HillSlugger
10-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Nicole (and Regina, et al), I have to work next Saturday, but Sunday's wide open. If the weather's decent, I'm good to go for a road ride (though I'll need to remember to swap my tires back to the smooth ones).

My Sunday is wide open, too. I'd love to do the Poolesville loop, weather permitting.

The wind kicked my butt today. I had planned a 30 miler but then realized how windy it was and decided on two 11.5 mile laps instead. I was beat after only one lap (felt like a 20 mile ride!) and called it quits. I couldn't hold a straight line and was afraid of being blown sideways when there was a car coming by.

Kalidurga
10-29-2006, 04:45 PM
My Sunday is wide open, too. I'd love to do the Poolesville loop, weather permitting.

Nicole, would you be interested in trying the 25 mile Peach Tree Loop (http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/peachtree/index.htm) that Regina recently did? Or, maybe we could modify Janice's loop to make it a bit shorter. I could probably do 40 miles if I really pushed, but I'm not totally sure I'm ready for that kind of distance considering I'll be focusing on the traffic.

And what time would you want to meet?

HillSlugger
10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Nicole, would you be interested in trying the 25 mile Peach Tree Loop (http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/peachtree/index.htm) that Regina recently did? Or, maybe we could modify Janice's loop to make it a bit shorter. I could probably do 40 miles if I really pushed, but I'm not totally sure I'm ready for that kind of distance considering I'll be focusing on the traffic.

And what time would you want to meet?

That sounds like a good idea. Considering that you're going to be nervous on the road, and that you've not done a lot of hills I bet that 25 miles will be enough for you. It looks like it still has that hill right at the start on River Road.

Meet at 9:30 so that we can be rolling by 10? Hopefully the goddess will grace us with good weather.

Anyone going to join us?

aicabsolut
10-30-2006, 07:08 AM
A friend is visiting me this weekend, so I've got to stay close to home on my ride so he can just go for a run at the same time and we can do stuff before he flies out. Oh well yet again. Maybe *next* time. I need to practice hills in the worst way.

HillSlugger
10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Nicole, would you be interested in trying the 25 mile Peach Tree Loop (http://www.bikewashington.org/routes/peachtree/index.htm) that Regina recently did?

Regina,

Are there any good spots for a rest stop, preferably one with facilities?

Very little of this route corresponds to what I did through Poolesville with Janice; what are the hills and road traffic like?

Kalidurga
10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Are there any good spots for a rest stop, preferably one with facilities? ...what are the hills and road traffic like?

I realize you directed that question to Regina, but it's my curse in life to be a know-it-all buttinski... This route is actually great for stops. There are two orchards along the way (both of which I think have Porta-Pots), and then it runs right through Poolesville (McD's, a small "cafe", Bassett's restaurant, and I think the fitness center also has a healthy food cafe).

Based on driving those roads, I'm guessing we'll see the most traffic on that little bit of rte 117 between Old Bucklodge and White Store Rd, then on Peach Tree Rd, and as we cut through Poolesville, as well as a short stretch on rte 28. I'd estimate that the hills are about the same as Janice's 40 mile route. The one thing I don't remember about Janice's loop, though, is how many of the roads are undivided. The Peach Tree loop is mostly on shoulderless, undivided roads (I'll try to not be too paranoid ;) ).

And sorry for butting in!

HillSlugger
10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
I realize you directed that question to Regina, but it's my curse in life to be a know-it-all buttinski... This route is actually great for stops. There are two orchards along the way (both of which I think have Porta-Pots), and then it runs right through Poolesville (McD's, a small "cafe", Bassett's restaurant, and I think the fitness center also has a healthy food cafe).

Based on driving those roads, I'm guessing we'll see the most traffic on that little bit of rte 117 between Old Bucklodge and White Store Rd, then on Peach Tree Rd, and as we cut through Poolesville, as well as a short stretch on rte 28. I'd estimate that the hills are about the same as Janice's 40 mile route. The one thing I don't remember about Janice's loop, though, is how many of the roads are undivided. The Peach Tree loop is mostly on shoulderless, undivided roads (I'll try to not be too paranoid ;) ).

And sorry for butting in!
No reason to apologize for "butting in". I only asked Regina because it's "her" route and I figured she would have the info. I had no idea you'd driven it. Are you reasonably comfortable with the roads we'll be on? They're quieter than what I'm used to but a whole lot different than your trails. I'd like your first road ride to be a good experience.

Many of the roads on Janice's 40 miler were undivided and pretty much deserted of vehicular traffic.

BTW what's the lowest gearing on your steed?

Kalidurga
10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I had no idea you'd driven it.

I think I've driven just about every back road in MoCo and FredCo, and a whole lot of them in Washington, Carroll and Howard counties. I just love driving back-country roads. It'll be interesting to experience the Peach Tree area from the bike instead of the car.

Are you reasonably comfortable with the roads we'll be on? They're quieter than what I'm used to but a whole lot different than your trails. I'd like your first road ride to be a good experience.

I should be able to handle that route. Heck, dozens of bikers ride those roads all the time, and as far as I know they've all survived ;) . Any cars that pass us will be an element that I'm not used to, so I'll just have to pay more attention to what's going on around me and to maintaining my line. And if I do get uncomfortable, it'll still be a learning experience and therefore a worthwhile ride.

BTW what's the lowest gearing on your steed?

Ok, I always get confused by what's considered 'low' vs 'high' on a bike. I usually assume it's the same as on a car, so based on that the lowest combo on my pony is a 34/25. So far, it's gotten me up every hill I've attempted, though with some huffing and puffing (and grunting) and the occasional stop halfway up. What I might need to work on for road riding is building up the strength to get into the higher gears on the big ring and go fast. What's your average speed on your rides, Nicole?

7rider
10-30-2006, 05:49 PM
We started the Peach Tree Loop off the loop - at the intersection of Darnestown and Muddy Branch, about 5.5 miles away. Since I took advantage of the facilities at the Starbucks in the plaza, and my friend seems to have the bladder the size of a ....well, I don't know, but she had no problems in that regard! :rolleyes: Anyway, I didn't really look too hard. Sorry.

There is a spot marked "food" on the cue sheet. That was a grocery store (and maybe more...gads, I really should pay more attention!) that had a big sign that said "NO BIKES". I wanted to take a picture of myself in front of it, with my bike, flipping the bird for all the world to see, but DARN IT! I left the camera in the truck. So much for civil disobedience! :D Anyway, there's probably a restroom there.

The hills were not that bad. Either long and gradual, or short and not-really-steep. Traffic was light, but we left about 7 a.m. Some of the roads we were on, we were able to ride 2 abreast without annoying anyone, and the few cars we encountered were good about it. Overall, I think it was a great route. My friend is none too keen about riding with cars, and she enjoyed herself thoroughly. (In fact, at one point, I pointed out some black ice still on the road, and she thought I said "nice" and said "Yeah, it is a really nice ride!")

Sorry I can't make it on Sunday - and Saturday I'll be trying to follow Doctor's orders about not riding. I make no such promises for mtb'ing on Sunday, however.

Have fun. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

HillSlugger
10-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Any cars that pass us will be an element that I'm not used to, so I'll just have to pay more attention to what's going on around me and to maintaining my line. And if I do get uncomfortable, it'll still be a learning experience and therefore a worthwhile ride.
In my experience most cars will give a wide berth, but there are sometimes @ssholes who don't seem to move left at all. They seem to be the exception.

Ok, I always get confused by what's considered 'low' vs 'high' on a bike. I usually assume it's the same as on a car, so based on that the lowest combo on my pony is a 34/25. So far, it's gotten me up every hill I've attempted, though with some huffing and puffing (and grunting) and the occasional stop halfway up.
I think you've got that right, small gear up front and biggest gear in the rear gives the lowest gear ratio.

What I might need to work on for road riding is building up the strength to get into the higher gears on the big ring and go fast. What's your average speed on your rides, Nicole?
Since getting the new bike I rarely get up onto the largest chain ring. I can push it along around 20mph in the middle chainring. Yesterday, with a strong wind at my back I think I got up to my highest gear ratio and was pushing along in the high 20's.

I usually tend to push myself hard but I'm still building up strength and endurance. In general I average in the 15's for flatter routes and the 14's for hilly routes (hilly routes still wear me out). When I was on the eastern shore I had wanted to hit 16 but ran 5 minutes too slow over 28 miles.

Kalidurga
10-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Since getting the new bike I rarely get up onto the largest chain ring. I can push it along around 20mph in the middle chainring. Yesterday, with a strong wind at my back I think I got up to my highest gear ratio and was pushing along in the high 20's.

I usually tend to push myself hard but I'm still building up strength and endurance. In general I average in the 15's for flatter routes and the 14's for hilly routes (hilly routes still wear me out). When I was on the eastern shore I had wanted to hit 16 but ran 5 minutes too slow over 28 miles.

Well, if I can't keep up, just be sure to stop and wait for me every now and then ;)

So far, the weather looks good for on- and off-road riding. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

aicabsolut
10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm jealous! Those rides (40 miler and the other) sound like a lot of fun. So far, the most fun I've had was the loop I posted earlier .. all 2 lane country roads, low traffic (except for a couple mile stretch). So much better than multiuse trails! Hopefully I can join in sometime. Here's some info:

I have it at the top of my to-do to stop procrastinating and get a computer. I decided to break up my HR monitor and computer into 2 separate units so I can take the HR monitor to the gym. I don't know how fast I go, but on that hilly ride, I averaged over 14mph (almost 15mph not taking into account however long it took me to stop to eat a granola bar at a convenience store). There's one section on that ride where you can go FAST... if the hills haven't worn you out by then. Hills are still hard for me though, so I'd be in the back too. My gearing is 36 small ring, and I don't know what the back is exactly, but I've got a shimano 10 speed rear.

Looks like family is visiting next weekend after my high school friend visits this weekend. The weekend before Thanksgiving is looking good for me. If you go out then, mind if I join? If it's Sunday, I might bring a friend who is also interested in getting in on some women's group rides if that's ok (she lives in DC closer to MD than I do).

Kalidurga
11-01-2006, 02:36 AM
The weekend before Thanksgiving is looking good for me. If you go out then, mind if I join? If it's Sunday, I might bring a friend who is also interested in getting in on some women's group rides if that's ok (she lives in DC closer to MD than I do).

The more, the merrier-- though my merriment might be diminished by lack of breath from keeping up with you guys. I could do a short ride on the Sunday morning before Thanksgiving, but I need to leave that afternoon open for family visiting from out of town.

HillSlugger
11-01-2006, 05:35 AM
The more, the merrier-- though my merriment might be diminished by lack of breath from keeping up with you guys. I could do a short ride on the Sunday morning before Thanksgiving, but I need to leave that afternoon open for family visiting from out of town.

I assume we're talking the 18th or 19th? I should be available. Let's hope the weather stays warm enough for comfortable riding.

Are we talking road or trail? It looks like I'm keeping the hybrid (at least for now) so I'm good to go on either.

Kali, what time and length of ride would work for you?

Kalidurga
11-01-2006, 08:58 AM
I assume we're talking the 18th or 19th? I should be available. Let's hope the weather stays warm enough for comfortable riding.

Are we talking road or trail? It looks like I'm keeping the hybrid (at least for now) so I'm good to go on either.

Kali, what time and length of ride would work for you?

I'm working on the 18th, so I could do the 19th. I haven't made firm plans with the family yet and they don't seem to mind me being sweaty, so if we did something like our C&O ride (start @ 9:30, done before 1:00) then I could just go straight from there to meet them. I think aicabsolut said she only has a road bike, so I assume a road ride. We could either do the Peach Tree Loop again, or look for something else on the site Regina posted recently.

Sound good to you, aic? Anyone else interested?

HillSlugger
11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
They've finally created a Mid-Atlantic region for the places to ride (thank you, thank you). We should make sure to post all future rides there. How about we propose the Sunday-before-Thanksgiving ride there?

Kalidurga
11-01-2006, 09:30 AM
They've finally created a Mid-Atlantic region for the places to ride (thank you, thank you). We should make sure to post all future rides there. How about we propose the Sunday-before-Thanksgiving ride there?

Consider it done. Anyone interested in this ride, head on over to that forum.

divingbiker
11-05-2006, 11:44 AM

Regina, were you at the RLAG ride today? I looked around but didn't see anyone that looked like your picture. I rode with the beginner/casual group.

7rider
11-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Regina, were you at the RLAG ride today? I looked around but didn't see anyone that looked like your picture. I rode with the beginner/casual group.

Ohhh...
I am SO bummed. I did not go. I have a pinched nerve or something in my neck that causes pain and pins-and-needles all down my arm into my right hand. It's aggravated by riding (and using the computer), so I'm under doctor's orders to not ride and minimize computer time. I was hoping a week or so of downtime plus Advil and prescription muscle relaxers would help, but stupid me raked leaves all day yesterday and I was in major pain last night. So I opted out of the ride.

How did the ride go??? One of these days I'll get to a RLAG ride....

Regina

HillSlugger
11-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Kali and I met up at Rileys Lock and headed out on the Peach Tree loop. The big problem was that we didn't have a cue sheet with us :eek: She never printed it out and I left mine sitting at home on the kitchen table :o Luckily, Tam seems to have driven all the back roads of Montgomery county and was able to navigate almost perfectly from memory. We did make a few wrong turns and the 25 mile route turned into 27.5 miles.

Tam did GREAT with the traffic but suffered on the hills (she said she was so busy worrying about the hills that she mostly forgot all about the cars). The route was a bit hilly for a first time road ride for someone with little hill experience, but she never quit. I think if we do ride on the weekend before Thanksgiving we'll need to find a route that's a little bit flatter.

divingbiker
11-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Ohhh...
I am SO bummed. I did not go. I have a pinched nerve or something in my neck that causes pain and pins-and-needles all down my arm into my right hand. It's aggravated by riding (and using the computer), so I'm under doctor's orders to not ride and minimize computer time. I was hoping a week or so of downtime plus Advil and prescription muscle relaxers would help, but stupid me raked leaves all day yesterday and I was in major pain last night. So I opted out of the ride.

How did the ride go??? One of these days I'll get to a RLAG ride....

Regina

Sorry to hear of your neck pain. Stop raking leaves!

If the success of a ride is measured by how dirty your bike and clothes get, then it was a very good ride. I fell several times, usually when hitting rocks or roots on uphills or coming out of streams. One time I slid in a rut and hurt my ribs pretty badly, so my neighbor and I headed back to the parking lot after that. I think we went about 7.75 miles.

There were a LOT of people on the trails--MORE's two groups of women and a big simultaneous men's ride, plus lots of others riding on their own--so I'm not sure I'd go back there on a day when there was an organized ride. But the trails are really nice and the terrain is varied, and it's very well marked, so even a directionally-challenged person like moi could find her way home.

I don't think mountain biking is an old woman's sport, but it sure is fun.

7rider
11-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Was that your first time at Schaeffer? About how many were on the RLAG ride?
I'm glad you had a good time, in spite of the painful falls. Yeah, that about sums up mountainbiking!
I've been to Schaeffer a few times and like it. I still find it plenty challenging and am never bored with it (I have a hard core mtb friend who likes to ride really tough stuff, so when I try to ride with him, it's like "Nice hike. Why'd I bring this bike along?" :rolleyes: ) I don't think I know that area well enough to go alone, however, even if it is basically just a loop. I can't find my way out of a paperbag sometimes!
My DH was going to ride that MORE Dude ride, but went much later in the day, instead. He said it was pretty crowded and he had a blast. But...he tried riding this log at the end, and the bike slid off one side of the log, and his body when off the other, and he smacked his face into the ground! :eek: He's all black and blue and has a nice shiner under his eye on the cheekbone. Sigh. He worries me sometimes.

p.s. Was checking out the MORE forums. Are you posting on that - i.e., discussing ribs? Also, did you see that group shot? Where are you in it?

divingbiker
11-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Was that your first time at Schaeffer? About how many were on the RLAG ride?

p.s. Was checking out the MORE forums. Are you posting on that - i.e., discussing ribs? Also, did you see that group shot? Where are you in it?

Yes, that was my first time at Schaeffer, and only about my 6th time mountain biking, so I have a lot to learn. I've only ever ridden with the two women who live across the street from me, and we've gone to Fairland off Route 29, since it's close to us, and once up to Rockburn (?) in Ellicott City.

Just looked at the MORE forum and saw the picture. I'm in the red jacket and red helmet on the right side of the picture. My neighbor is in front of me. It says there that there were 23 women; most of them were on the "moderate" ride, as opposed to the beginner/casual ride.

That's not me posting over there. Apparently someone else has bruised ribs also, but they have narcotics. I want some, too!:p

Mountain biking is so much fun, I just wish it weren't so darned painful! Your husband will have a good story to tell at work tomorrow.

Kalidurga
11-05-2006, 04:23 PM
What, you guys missed our old "home" or something? Get yer butts over to our new forum ;)

The only time I've ever mtb'd was at Schaeffer and the only thing I remember about the ride is:

"Hey, look! A deer!" *POW*, right into a tree... That, and having to walk the bike over every log and stream. I love the culture of mtb'ing, but I think that when I'm out in the woods I'm too busy looking around to focus on what's in front of me to be able to pedal a trail. (Wow, was that a run-on sentence or what?)

divingbiker
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
What, you guys missed our old "home" or something? Get yer butts over to our new forum ;)

Sor-ry! Just thought I'd finish up the old business over here in Southeast. I guess if I were a little more clever I'd have figured out how to move the quote from here to the new forum, but I was lazy.

I promise it won't happen again!

7rider
11-05-2006, 04:30 PM
We're just beating this post to death, Kali!
I'd ask you about Fairland, DB, but perhaps I'll take it to Mid-Atlantic!