PDA

View Full Version : Single speed/fixed gear query

fire girl
10-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi guys, been lurking about on the forum for a few weeks now but my bike pal has gone back to his wife (:() and need some advice... Been thinking about getting a single speed/fixed gear bike with a flip flop hub cos I don't want my lovely road bike to get trashed commuting in the winter in Scotland. I've got a fairly flat 45 min commute I do 3 times a week, hopefully increasing that if my knees behave. Any tips tricks or tales gratefully received. Also, where do I start with the fixie (other than a big soft field somewhere:p )?

mimitabby
10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Fire girl, sorry about your love life.

The first time i rode my son's fixy which was too big for me I was in a parking lot
with cars in it. No big deal. They aren't that hard to ride. it was kind of fun
actually.

We'll let the experts answer your other questions!

Kallisti
10-30-2006, 06:25 AM
If you're going to ride fixed, then "don't stop pedaling" should be your mantra for the first few rides. after that, you'll get used to it, and actually (hopefully) enjoy the control that fixed gear gives you in foul weather.
For single speeding, remember that momentum is your friend, so every time you hit the brakes on roller descents, you rob yourself of the momentum that can help you made it up the next hill.
Both are great fun.
Good luck...

busyone
12-15-2006, 05:32 AM
It is a total 'zen' feeling for me not to have to worry about when to shift, hitting the right gear, dropping my chain etc. etc.
I had front and rear brakes installed (some only have front brake or yikes... no brake at all!) It is safer for me and I'm not goint to blow out my knees trying to stop.
Pedaling all of the time is easy to get used to BUT remember, you are pedaling ALL of the time... over pot holes and bumps, around corners, while you are reaching for your water bottle... those are the times that will get you!

Jenerator
12-17-2006, 07:45 PM
I've been riding fixed for about a year now (1500 miles). I had a bike built up with a flip-flop hub, thinking that I'd need the freewheel as a crutch. I rode the bike out of the shop fixed and haven't flopped to the freewheel yet. For gearing I pretty much guessed, using the gear ratio I thought appropriate for the undulating terrain I ride the most, with a high cadence preferred over a slower 'mashing' cadence. The higher cadence forces a smoother cadence over time. I've since gone to higher gearing to build a little more strength while preserving the smooth, higher cadence.

I'd actually recommend starting on some nice flat pavement instead of a soft field and it doesn't take long to get used to riding fixed. Corners need to be taken a bit wide and with less lean to avoid pedal strike. "Don't stop pedaling" is a good mantra and especially good to keep in mind when approaching bumps and railroad crossings. Riding dirt paths with skinny tires on a fixed bike does wonders for bike handling. No matter what the path throws at you, you have no option but to keep riding.

Our last snowstorm and cold snap was enough to get me to put on the knobby cyclocross tires. The feeling of control with the more direct connection through the drivetrain is amazing.

freshsushi
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Have you seen this site?

www.fixedgeargallery.com

Great collection of fixies, from all sorts of backgrounds. I can't start my day without looking at a few fixies from this site.

+1 to the flat pavement idea. +1 to the fact that I had a freewheel flip flop hub, and never used the freewheel side. A few people, instead of having a freewheel, put two different sized cogs on each side to help them get up hills, but since you'll be on flatter conditions...

Are you doing a build of your own? Or are you purchasing a track bike? Pictures, pictures!

thinpaperwings
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
What are some good bikes? I was recommended to look at the Surly Steamroller, Mark V IRO, and the Raleigh Rush Hour. I have long legs and a short torso, and I'm short, so I'm worried about fit. The smallest these bikes go is about 49 or 50 cm, and the mountain bike I am now riding is 47 cm (about 50 cm top tube). When I have the time I'll go to the LBS and ask about getting fitted, etc, but I wondered what people's real experiences were.

Thanks!
-Sara-

SadieKate
01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
I have a Milwaukee Bike Co. frame from Ben's Cycle (http://www.benscycle.net/)in Milwaukee. It might be a tad big for you but I'm just under 5'4" and am probably at the top end of the fit for it. I bought a 100mm stem with 15 degree rise for it so I'd definitely take a look at the specs. Lots of standover.

The frame has a wonderfully comfortable ride. It's made by Waterford for MBC from True Temper Verus tubing. From the various reviews I've read, you might like the ride better than some of the others which sound like they have harsher rides.

The worksmanship is very nice as are their pretty high flange 4-star hubs.

You can see pics here: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/MBC/

SadieKate
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey, Sara! Living in Portland, you need the MBC since it has the beer stein headbadge. Take in on the Rolling Pub Crawl (http://www.rollingpubcrawl.com/).

thinpaperwings
01-11-2007, 07:28 PM
SadieKate! Thanks! That headbadge is awesome :D. I love the flask, too!

roguedog
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
SK.. that bike is sweeeet.. and I LOVE the flask.. does it actually stay put or is it only for show??

I also love the pic with the bike next to all your wine and other libations.

can you get pulled over for a bui???

Nice fenders too...

SadieKate
01-15-2007, 07:33 AM
That's a real cage and the flask holds 8 ounces which is just fine for a one and a half hour ride which is about all I do after dark. Of course, I also had to use a Surly Tuggnut chain tensioner/bottle opener so I can stop for a beer. I'm prepared!

I'm hoping to take it out to day and adjust the new saddle. She just got a Selle An-Atomica (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=22572) from TE so she looks even mo' better.