PDA

View Full Version : Scenic Shore 150 - doable for a newbie?

afirechick
04-11-2004, 02:13 PM
I would like to participate in the Scenic Shore 150, which is a 150 mile ride over two days to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society at the end of July. My niece has Leukemia which motivates me to do this, as I would like to do so in her honor. My question to you all is, do you think it is doable for someone who has not ridden a bike more than about a half mile in ten years? I'd like to say I am in good shape, but unfortunately I can not make that claim. Any advice? Should I go for it or wait until next year?

Thanks

Irulan
04-11-2004, 02:24 PM
July is a few months away still. While I'm no road mileage or long ride expert, there are many here who are. I'd thing that if you start riding 3-4 times a weeks and build your mileage, and work consistently towards being prepared, you should be good to go?

I'm sure you'll get mo-better advice as people start checking in after the weekend.

Irulan

Veronica
04-11-2004, 03:04 PM
How hilly is the terrain? Is it very windy there? If you're not terribly out of shape and the terrain not too difficult - two and a half months should be enough.

Two back to back long days in the saddle can be tough on the butt. Make sure you have a good setup for your comfort.

Veronica

fultzie
04-12-2004, 05:36 AM
personally, I'd say go for it! but that's just me and i'm a little crazy :p
I'm guessing that it runs from Wisconsin down to Chicago? That will be a pretty flat ride, especially along the shoreline, and the "Scenic" implies something more or less enjoyable (ie: recreational pace)! :D ... still, I'd start riding your bike whenever you get the chance and build up your milage over the next three months. Rails-to-trails should be more or less the terrain type of the ride. Set aside a weekend and see how far you can ride in a day, stopping whenever you need to. Set little goals, and treat yourself with coffee/ice cream when you reach a town or a certain point.
My mom and I started riding a few years ago on rails to trails. our first ride was 13 miles out, overnight stay in a B&B, and 13 miles back in the morning. if you make your training fun, you'll want to keep riding your bike! it helps too if you have a training buddy (the conversation is certainly better than riding alone! ;))
Definitely check with the people runnning the ride, and get their opinions too. They can tell you if they think its do-able (they will have had tons of experience judging the "do-ability" for different people) and give you tips on how to train. On charity rides, you get all types of riders, from families with little kids to people decked out on premo-roadies. Plus, they have rest points with FREE FOOD :D (my personal favorite part, next to the biking itself, of course) ;)
If it turns out that the ride won't be the perfect one... I've heard of another ride that benefits Leukemia research from Gurnee, IL to Wisconsin. That one I know has a wide variety of people riding, and gives you options as to how many miles you ride each day (over two days). I've forgotten the name, but check out The Good Cyclist (http://www.thegoodcyclist.org/rides) or Mikes Bicycle Rides (http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/mwrides.htm) for lists of charity rides in the IL/WI area.
good luck, and have fun!!! :)

Adventure Girl
04-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Isn't the rule of thumb for training for a distance to add about 10% per week? So if you can start with around 20 miles this week, then 22 miles next week, then 10% more each following week, you would be up to 75 to 80 miles by the end of July. So it does sound within reach. It's just going to require commitment.

The 20 miles to start might seem to be a lot. But by the time you're doing 35 or 40, you'll be thinking that the 20 miles was nothing!!!

I assume it is the type of ride where you solicit sponsorship, right? Well, tell your prospective sponsors that you will be attempting the 150 mile ride. Since it is a good cause, the sponsors donate even if you don't finish. So it's all good! Just do your best.

The ride is most likely fully supported (meaning that if you can't finish, they have a "sag wagon" to pick you up). There's no shame in riding back in the wagon. Just do what you can do and know that you're doing it for a great cause! I do occasional fun-rides. Some raise money for worthy causes, others raise money for profit-minded organizations. I prefer the ones where my entry fee and sponsor donations help a cause I believe in.

Good luck and let us know about your training progress.

kpc
04-16-2004, 04:07 PM
My intro to biking again was the Bike to the Bay here last year. 77 miles down and then you come back the next day. Pretty flat, but a few windy areas as you get close to the beach. For my first ride I went one way only and loved it. The ride was in early October and I started training in late May. Each weekened I rode about 16 miles each Sat and Sun and during the week snuck in a hour or so of easy riding once or twice. Two times during that summer I did longer group rides, about 35 miles. I only had a heavy hybrid style bike. The day of the event I did get tired a few times, but nothing major. I just took it slow and steady and stayed with my group of families and singles from our fellowship. So it seems to me that if you start training now and have a lighter bike, you should do fine and could do both ways, especially if it's broken into 2 days.
The fund raising was the harder part for me, and even that was OK. I had much fun doing the ride and training.

afirechick
04-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Thank you all for your advice and support. I think I am going to enter. Even if the ride proves to be too tough for me I have helped raise money for the cause. If I become more fit over the next few months, another bonus!

:)

gretchen
04-17-2004, 06:12 AM
afirechick...way to go!!!
that's the spirit that all charity rides should be ridden in!!!
(don't forget a little cross training while your building up to the big day...that really makes a difference to have "back up" muscles to support you when the 'biking' muscles want to quit....)
Good luck! You'll do great!

luna*Kentucky
04-17-2004, 05:23 PM
If you have your heart set on this ride,YOU CAN DO IT!

Just train and STRETCH those muscles, little by little your should be prepared when the times comes. Adrenaline and all the others inspired to ride will be very empowering.

I remember I did a run for Breast Cancer for my aunt, I suprised myself with how well I ran. Tears of joy...

You'll do great!