PDA

View Full Version : Winter tire recomendations

JmcG
10-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi all,
I'm hoping some of you can help me out! I need some good, grippy tires for wet/winter conditions for my road bike. The Specialized Pro all condition tires aren't doing the trick. My commute to worke entails a steep, switchback section in the woods (paved) that always has wet leaves and needles on it. It might not have rained for a week, but back there it is always wet! My tires keep slipping on this section, like today when i rotated my crank one revolution and didn't go anywhere.....So if anyone can recommend a good, grippy winter tire for wet conditions and possible light snow if it does snow for my ride home for a road bike - 700cc - that would be wonderful! Oh, and kevlar bead is preferred.
Thanks!!!
-j

Mimosa
10-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Good question, I want to know too :D . I found out tonight that my Vittoria Rubino are not that good in the wet as I though they would be.

7rider
10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Your question had me checking out BikeTiresDirect: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/categories.asp?cat=ti&tnum=3608704&c=4808807
I wanted to see what they have.
Both sets of tires I have for my commuter are there, if you're curious about them.
I currently have the Conti Ultra Gatorskins on my flat bar road bike (700x23) and plan to move to Michelin Transworld City tires for the winter (700 x 25 with reflective sidewall).
The only downside of the Michelins, other than their noise, is the tread design (V's) picks up every little stone on the road, so I'll have hundreds of them embedded in the tire. That, of course, is an invitation for a flat (which didn't happen all last winter - about 500 miles of riding on them - but I don't know if my luck will hold with increased mileage on them). (Incidently, the V-tread of the City's is supposed to help with grip in wet conditions.)
For your application, the Michelin Pro Grips (under recreational/training road tires) look interesting.
For me, for winter, I like sturdy and reflective. If my Conti's had a reflective sidewall, I'd keep them on all year.

JmcG
10-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to check them out as well as the Schwalbe tires - has anybody used those? They seem to have some good grippy-ness to them too. I slipped and slided all over the place again this morning, so I need to get something soon!

Velobambina
10-19-2006, 12:16 PM
... For me, for winter, I like sturdy and reflective. If my Conti's had a reflective sidewall, I'd keep them on all year.

Why not just put reflective tape on your wheels and keep your gatorskins?