PDA

View Full Version : Wurst Ride in Texas

Aggie_Ama
10-18-2006, 10:11 AM
DH and I are doing the Metric Wurst Ride (www.wurstride.com)in Texas. It is November 11, leaves from Austin and ends in New Braunfels. Anyone else?

luv'nAustin
10-18-2006, 10:29 AM
I would like to do the ride. I have to check out the link and get the facts before I decide. Have you done this ride before?

karri

Aggie_Ama
10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Never done it before, don't know anyone who has done the ride. It ends with beer and sausage, sounds fun! Plus they are giving long sleeve t-shirts, I like that.

geogeek
10-28-2006, 11:47 AM
hey girls,

i did the wurst ride last year with my boyfriend. it's a good-un, but it was very, very windy:eek: . without the wind, it's not too challenging and the stops, scenery and beer/wursts at the end are great. it's certainly a good time!

if you want another biker chick, i'm game to join you. i'd love to do it again.

Aggie_Ama
10-28-2006, 08:15 PM
My husband and I registered today! We haven't been able to do an organized ride since May, we are so excited. The metric century is my favorite distance, I have done a full century but I prefer to stop between 60 and 70 miles. :o

luv'nAustin
10-29-2006, 05:10 AM
I am registered! I'm also bringing my DH and a friend. Hope to see you guys out there. Do you have an Amici Veloci jersey to wear?

Karri

Aggie_Ama
10-29-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't have a jersey- I missed the sign up. I will probably wear my Ol' Army Cycling jersey. The Aggies are playing Saturday night, I always try to wear maroon on game day. :D Here's me and my jersey. I will watch for the Amici Veloci jersey. It would be nice to have weather like this weekend, I don't like cold.

luv'nAustin
10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll be looking for you. I have a blue helmet too and ride a silver Merlin.

Karri

fixedgeargirl
10-29-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm bummed I'll be missing meeting y'all! I have my son that weekend, and try to spend as much time with him as I can on days we don't have rush to be somewhere.

Sounds like a great ride! Have fun!

luv'nAustin
11-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey Amanda,
Hi Amanda!

Did you do the ride today? I looked for you, but with everyone wearing jackets I couldn't find your jersey from the picture. Did you wear a long sleeve pink/maroon jersey and did your DH have an A& M jersey?

I had a blast and really enjoyed the ride. My friend and I finished in three hours and 28 minutes.

My throat was a little sore from the wind and I was glad when we reached the park.

Hope your ride was wonderful, would love to hear about some of your highlights. Oh, what did you think of that unpaved section that went downhill?

Karri

Aggie_Ama
11-13-2006, 05:06 AM
Karri-

I *think* I saw you while we were waiting for beer. But then I didn't see you again.

I was wearing a purple Pearl Izumi jacket and tights. DH had on a blue jacket, so that wasn't us you saw.

I enjoyed the ride, it took us right at 4 hours. Since I missed most of August-October I am deconditioned. :( Our average speed was only 15.6 with the tailwind. The cross winds really challenged me more than normal, but I enjoyed the ride. I thought the rest stops were set up in a way that was a bit unsafe. We had a lot of trouble passing through #2 because everyone was piled up.

That downhill was not fun at all. I am a big wimp when I see gravel, so I was incredibly nervous the whole time. It was one time I considered walking down a hill!

I loved coming through Gruene, I had never been there and it is so cute. What did you think of coming over 35? That was a bit nerve racking with the rest stop set up. We had a group of 7 riders stop on the overpass in a big bunch to discuss if they needed to go to the stop.

Did you go to Wurstfest? My parents came and went with us, it was a lot of fun. DH got a shirt that said "A 10 Day Salute to Sausage". :p

luv'nAustin
11-13-2006, 09:54 AM
We skipped the rest stop before 35. I hated waiting in line for the port-o-pottie and I wasn't hungry at all. However, I think I would have felt better after the ride if I had consumed a few more calories. I was really tired that night!

The cross winds were really difficult for me too. I have flat spokes on my wheels and the wind can be pretty tricky. I thought the section after the 35 bridge was especially windy and I think I only went about 11 mph till I made the next turn. I think our overall average was 18. It helped that I had a 24 year-old to draft behind! Oh, and she never looks back so it is up to me to keep up with her, or be dropped!

I'll do the ride again next year if I don't move to North Carolina over the summer.:cool:

alicia33933
08-21-2007, 10:24 PM
me and my bf are going to do the wurst ride this year. its going to be our first organized ride (i don't like the word race b/c it means competition). wish us luck!

Aggie_Ama
08-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Alicia- My husband and I will be doing the Metric again. My husband and my mother are conspiring to make him some bike shorts that look like Laederhosen (sp?). If you see a tall guy on a Cannondale wearing something goofy like that you know they went through with it! I will probably be wearing something much tamer, although my mom wants to make me the women's skirt to go over my shorts. :eek: The Wurst Ride is a lot of fun, it will probably be our last organized ride of the year.

luv'nAustin
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I hope that you have a good ride. I've moved to North Carolina and won't be riding this year. Too bad, it was sooooo much fun last year!

Aggie_Ama
09-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I just found out some friends have the nerve to be getting married that day! Guess we will be skipping the Wurst Ride. :( You WILL have a great time Alicia.