PDA

View Full Version : Asking the right questions

DDH
10-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Girls, I need your help if you don't mind me asking.
This is liable to be long, but let me explain.
I have been riding since July. Normally at least 3 to 4 days a week and my rides are always at least 30 minutes or more, 10 miles or more. I try to watch what I eat but haven't cut back tremendously or anything. I don't do a lot of snacking, or candy and chips eating. On occasion if I want a candy bar or a bowl of ice cream or a snack, then I eat it. I am not a big chocolate or ice cream or sweet eater, but like I said on occasion I will indulge.
I feel like since I have started riding again, my endurance has gone down instead of up and that is really bothering me.
I hate to go to the doctor but I have made an appt to go, to get checked out. I am always afraid someone or he is going to think I am a hypercondriact (sp?) if I tell him all my problems so I ususally don't say much. But girls I am tired of feeling like I am in pain all the time. I know arthritis runs in my family very badly so I have just pretty much resigned myself to the idea that I am going to have some aches and pains but I am telling you every joint in my body hurts.
My ankles hurt terribly when I walk. My wrist hurt and it is worse since I have started riding, my elbows feel sensetive like my funny bone has been hit. Not the numbness or tingling but that tender feeling in your elbow after you hit it really hard. My feet hurt, and I know that is probably the weight. My shoulders hurt all the time, and my hips get to hurting pretty good.
I cannot sleep at night without a body pillow because I cannot let my arms lay without being on top of that pillow because it hurts my shoulders. My muscles feel like they fatigue really easily even though I have been riding the bike since July.
I weigh 220 and am 5'5. I desperatly need to lose weight and I haven't taken off a pound in this time, in fact I have gained 5lbs and am now 225.
I was trying on a new bra yesterday and the lady measured me and I needed a 42 rather than the 38 I had been buying. I looked in the mirror and just wanted to cry. I am so disgusted.
I don't know what to ask the doctor to look at, and I have seen this doctor for 20 + years so I know him, if I don't get specific, he will blow me off.
Don't take that wrong, I like my doctor, but you know how you just learn certain quirks with people and that is just how he is. He will do just about anything I ask for, but I just don't know where to go with this, and I don't want him to think that I have just gone nuts with all these aches and pains.
I feel like, I need something though and I also know that it is an HMO so anything I get done I have to have referred. We pay almost 600 dollars a month for our health insurance and hardly ever use it, so I feel like it's about time I got something out of my money.
I am 42 and although I don't expect to look 20 again, I would like to get this weight off before I get old and die. I quit smoking back in June to start this helathier transition, and I feel and look worse than I did before I quit.
It's very depressing, and frustrating and I don't know what the problem is or what to do or ask for.
I don't let any of the aches and pains stop me. I continue to ride my bike, I continue to do all the things I need to do around the house, and take care of my MIL, and things for my mom.
DH doesn't help when he just acts like it's an irritation to him, if I am sick or have aches and pains. Don't get me wrong, he is very supportive as far as me riding and trying to lose weight, but for some reason and I cannot figure it out, he gets all bent if I say something about some part of my body hurting, then he starts that "well you always have some ache or pain, or somehting hurting you". Wow that helps!!!
Then he wants to know why I won't talk to him. UH, DUH, why should I. He got mad at me the other day because I wouldn't tell him what I was going to see the doctor for. That would be because when I started to tell him about it I got the snide remark about aches and pains and then I was done and wouldn't say another word. I got so mad at him, I told him I wouldn't even tell him if I thought I was having a heart attack because it would just be an inconvience and irritant to him.
Anyway, that is another story. Do you girls have any ideas what I should ask for as far as test, or am I being a hypercondriact and just need to suck it up. Sometimes, I feel like that and that is why I don't go to the doctor.
Help!!??? I am getting just desperate. I don't want to take diet pills and junk, and want to lose the weight properally, but I am quickly getting to the point of finding some diet pill that helps me not eat.

LBTC
10-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi, Donna!

Congratulations on your decision to be healthier and more fit! Good work!

Quitting smoking, from what I've heard, has a huge impact on your health and your body takes some time to adjust. Don't lose faith, you will drop weight and will feel and look better!!

But do see your doctor. Tell him just what you told us! Try to write down each and every thing that hurts, when and how much. Explain to him what you are trying to do and how difficult it is. I would think he should do some blood tests to ensure that you are not deficient in any important nutrients. Heck, if your insurance would cover a CT scan, have your joints looked at, maybe even your organs. (I just had a CT scan - completely painless and almost even fun). Don't stop trying to find the solution.

I also have to ask if you have a good stretching regimen. Cycling on its own can actually tense up enough muscles to make the joints sore from the muscle tension. Stretching, or something wonderful a gentle like yoga, may be a good thing to add to your routine. I know yoga helps me tremendously (I just do it at home every morning as I'm waking up)

I have also been experiencing a health problem that has reduced my activity tremendously. After continuously pushing my doctor to understand that this is impacting my life negatively, even though I am not in terrible pain, we've done enough tests that we're pretty sure it is my gallbladder and that the next step will be surgery. I can't wait!

Don't lose hope, Donna! Keep trying to find an answer! And be nice to yourself. You do need rest, too, just as much as you need exercise.

Namaste,
~T~

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 09:39 AM
LBTC said it all, didn't she?
I agree. WRITE down what you told us, make a list. and if you are feeling shy at the dr's office, just HAND it to him.

Your pains are valid and real. you are not a hypochondriac. (this is the correct spelling)

About your DH, you know, mine is mostly like that too unless I am on my bike and something starts hurting suddenly. I tell him how i feel and i either get no reaction, or some irritation. I have always thought it was odd. Many years ago, a family counselor told me he acts like that because it scares him that there might be something wrong with me. So if i am looking for sympathy, i do not expect to get it from him, i talk to a girlfriend instead!
Even a diagnosis will disturb him. So I can't blame you for saying what you did to YOUR DH...

Bikingmomof3
10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Do not give up Donna. You are doing great! I quit smoking years ago and gained a lot of weight. It is gone now, but I did gain. At least I am not smoking and neither are you. :-)

You sound as though you are in a lot of pain and I am so very sorry to hear this. Your weight should not be causing you all this pain. You have been seeing the same doctor for a long time, which is usually good, but in this case maybe you should see someone else? A different doctor with fresh eyes. Tell him/her exactly what you told us. Write down exactly what hurts and how it ferals, etc. If you are anything like me, you remember things after you leave the office.

Please see a doctor, prefeably a new one, if you cannot then see your currrent one. Something is definitely not quite right, you know your body better than anyone else.

(((((Donna)))))))

Now go make a doctor appointment. :)

Grog
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Thank you Donna for sharing this with us openly. It's a great first step, I am sure.

I can totally relate to your difficulties sharing things about your health with your husband. With both of my ex-s and, although to a lesser degree, with my current partner, it is an issue. It is hard to deal with the person you love not feeling right, and we cope with that in all sorts of manners which are not always helpful... Always in different ways, but always some issue. It might not be catastrophic for the relation, but I understand your frustration... I hope you can find a friend to share this with. I'm glad you also share it with us!!

I would certainly not let what is happening to you go unnoticed, and it will be useful to talk to a doctor. Is your current family doctor the best guy? Probably. But maybe not. If you don't feel like you can trust him with your confidence, well, maybe it's time to visit someone else. It doesn't have to be forever, but maybe you'll meet a new doctor who will feel a bit more understanding to you...

Like LBTC I agree that quitting smoking can make you feel miserable for a while. Bearing your own weight is maybe taxing your body as well. You are totally right though that you don't want to get on a crash diet. But it's likely that loosing a little bit of weight every month will help. However, I wouldn't mess with overall joint pain. It will bring you down into depression and you don't want to go there. Having some control over your body - even if it doesn't mean that the pain will completely go away - is important.

Good luck, and please get back to us.

Tuckervill
10-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Donna, I feel your pain. :)

I know just what it's like to be afraid that my symptoms will not be taken serioiusly, or that my symptoms are so vague as to seem meaningless. I'm 44 and overweight like you. I had strange symptoms for several months that I just ignored--they didn't really add up to anything--until the ovarian cyst ruptured. During that time I didn't go to the doc because I didn't have a clear picture of what was wrong, just that something *might* be wrong. It was wrong enough eventually to send me to the ER in July.

Before that, though, I had decided that I was entitled not to be *afraid* of taking part in my own health care. I decided that it's my option to be proactive and ask for blook work and tests, etc. So the first thing I did was eliminate all male doctors from my life. I know that sounds sexist, but the fact is I live in the South and have experienced more than my share of patriarchy in all aspects of life. I decided that this one place, my femaleness and physical health, would be free of authoritarian males, no matter how subtle or enlightened they might be.

I researched until I found a GYN practice that seemed to display the same values that I had (they had a link to Planned Parenthood AND midwives on their site, which is an indicator that they are at least not closed minded). They specialized in menopause, too....and NO MALE DOCTORS. I have been very pleased, because they take every little thing as part of the whole, and don't dismiss anything on its face.

When I ended up in the hospital overnight with the ruptured cyst, the hospital docs (male OB's) were already talking removal of the ovary. No way. I followed up with my own female GYN and she was very, very conservative and very willing to follow my lead. She actually AGREED when I said I would like to get through menopause with all my parts. While my very own dad said, "You don't need your uterus anymore...why don't you take it out?" ARGHHH! (I resisted the urge to suggest he have his testicles removed for the same reason.)

So, take control of your own health care, girlfriend. Get a doctor who will listen. Yes, if you think it will be a female, go for it, and don't be afraid of being called sexist. If you are used to having your feelings dismissed by the men in your life, it will not be easy to be strong in the face of another male. And you need to be strong. Do yourself a favor and research until you find a doctor's office that will meet your needs. It wouldn't hurt to start with a GYN, because, barring anything serious wrt your symptoms, you'll need the GYN longer and more often than any other doc.

Hope the HMO doesn't screw it all up for you. Be an advocate for your own health.

Karen

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
so i was in a computer structure meeting a few minutes ago, and it hit me.
You quit smoking in april and you only gained 5 pounds! that's pretty darned good.

Mimi

chickwhorips
10-17-2006, 11:31 AM
i just want to say i'm proud of you for making the steps in the right direction to lose weight and be healthier.

go to the doctor and get checked. if this one makes you as uncomfortable as it sounds, then find a different one, or at least one for a second opinion. its important for your health. writing down what is bothering you is a great idea for going to the doctor. that way you get everything out in that short little time, and don't miss anything. doctors seem to like to know whats going on in the short and sweetest way possible. handing him a piece of paper with everything on it give him a chance to ask you questions about each thing and you to answer and not forgit to tell him something.

i also agree with the stretching. i've noticed a big change in my aches and pains since i started doing more stretching. i have to make time to do it, no matter what.

good luck with everything and keep us updated.

DDH
10-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks girls for all the support, I really needed that.

No mimi, I quit in June and I gained 20 lbs and that is what made me get my bike back out and start riding, the 5 lbs is what I have gained since I started riding. I am going the wrong way. I know everyone says muscle gain, but it seems to me in 3 months somewhere there would be some weight loss, not gain. If I had at least lost inches that would be good but dont' think I have done any inch losing either.

I have an appt. for my regular doctor for the 25th of this month. If he doesn't do what I want then I will have to see another doctor that will. The HMO does screw things up a bit, I think that is why they want to fix symptoms instead of finding out what the problem is.
It seems like they want you to try this or that for a while and you have to go back 2 or 3 times before you start getting any test run or any results.
I hate that treating the symptoms attitude. I want to know whats wrong and then treat the problem. It all just seems so backwards to me.
The whole thing has me rather depressed and down and I don't feel like doing anything. I know that doesn't help either.
Just keep your fingers crossed that when I go to the appt. he will heed my words and do something, beside give me a pain pill.
I have to go to my general practitioner to begin with on the HMO, so wish me luck on that day. Don't get me wrong, he is a good doctor but I do sometimes feel like he doesn't take me seriously and have to ruff him up a little to get him to listen. Eventually he does. Just a stuborn man I guess. :rolleyes:

chickwhorips
10-17-2006, 12:08 PM
The whole thing has me rather depressed and down and I don't feel like doing anything. I know that doesn't help either.

don't let it. your a very strong woman. look how far you've come as it is.

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Don't forget the stretching stuff. It helps me too. I am 55 and if it moves, it hurts. Come to think of it, other stuff hurts too.

I'd love to see you rough up that doctor! :)

Riding bikes sure hasn't made ME lose weight, I gained too. But I'm healthier.
Less cold feet and slower pulse!

Dogmama
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
While my very own dad said, "You don't need your uterus anymore...why don't you take it out?" ARGHHH! (I resisted the urge to suggest he have his testicles removed for the same reason.)
Karen

Now THAT is funny!!

I'm not a doctor, but I would urge you to have some blood work done. Give your doctor a copy of your written symptoms so they can add it to your chart.

Have you thought about seeing a dietician for a healthy weight loss diet? Your HMO might not cover it, but I wouldn't think you'd need multiple appointments. Some of the ladies here have had good luck with Weight Watchers.

I just don't get some DH's attitudes. What happened to "better or worse, sickness or health?"

emily_in_nc
10-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I have found that a female doctor can be a better listener and more understanding of women's health issues, be they weight, menstrual issues, sexual problems, or whatever. If your current doc blows you off, you might try seeking the second opinion of a female physician.

I read a recent study that found that female doctors spend more time with their patients. Listening. And isn't that all what we all want and need?

I've had a female doctor for years, and feel like she is a friend. I could tell her anything. She always takes my concerns seriously and spends TIME with me. She never dismisses my concerns. She respects my worries, even if they are irrational at times. I would seriously miss having her as my doctor if we moved -- and I only see her 1-2 times a year!

So, just a thought. I wish you well in your quest to find out what is wrong and to forge a healthier life for yourself. And congratulations on quitting smoking. That is a great first step!

Emily

Dogmama
10-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I have found that a female doctor can be a better listener and more understanding of women's health issues, be they weight, menstrual issues, sexual problems, or whatever.
Emily

My primary care is a woman and I love her. She listens to my stuff & doesn't blow me off.

My DH goes to her too. He actually opens up to her. Pretty amazing for an ex-cop.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Donna,
First, you should not be discouraged about gaining a measley 5 pounds after quitting smoking. Losing weight will take TIME. Being more active WILL help you lose weight, but remember you stopped smoking at the same time. You might have gained 20 pounds when you stopped smoking if you hadn't started biking! And for all you know, that five pounds you've gained might well be mostly MUSCLE!! I've gained about 3-5 pounds of muscle in 4 months of biking, I know that for sure.

Secondly, I don't think you should be having all this pain, it does not sound like normal soreness from activity at all. Joint pain can mean many things! You should definitely be checked over for stuff like arthritis and lyme disease and other illnesses. Go to another doctor for a fresh opinion. Get a checkup that includes bloodwork.
Are you getting enough calcium in your diet? A calcium deficiency can cause very painful joints and muscle cramps and and aching, especially at night. Your body might need more calcium than before, now that you are exercising a lot. Maybe you could force yourself to drink two big 10 oz glasses of skim or non-fat milk every day in the meantime to see if that helps after a day or two? It can't hurt to try. Non-fat milk can also help fill you up before a meal so you can eat smaller portions of fattening stuff. Also try replenishing/balancing your electrolytes like magnesium and potassium- try drinking a sports drink and eating bananas?

I happen to think my DH is the world's most wonderful man in every way. But he tends to have way more aches and pains than I do, and he nurses himself enthusiastically through his various "illnesses". We all have our little quirks. I do give him sympathy, and I do take some of his pains seriously. Other times I get impatient with his bouts and just keep my mouth shut and go about my own day. My point is, don't be too hard on your husband's occasional lack of sympathy for your aches and problems. Even if you love someone, we are only human, and it can be tiring hearing about aches and problems too often. If he LOVES you, that's all that's important, just keep remembering that.

Dogmama
10-24-2006, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Lisa S.H.;136839]Donna,
I've gained about 3-5 pounds of muscle in 4 months of biking, I know that for sure.
QUOTE]

Really! How did you measure it?

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I can see and feel muscles on my legs, arms, shoulders, butt, and torso that just weren't there at all before, and I estimate the total based on knowing what 1/2 pound raw hamburgers look like. I know, it's a guess, but I'm positive it's more than 2 pounds of muscle I've gained over the past 4 months. Also, I might stay the same weight for a month, but my pants get looser and I see the fat lumps on my hips slowly melting away, so I know I'm losing fat. If I'm losing pounds of fat but not losing weight and seeing my muscles getting bigger at the same time, I must surely be gaining muscle weight, no?

BeeLady
10-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi Donna,

I'm also an ex-smoker and its been 15 years for me. That is a MAJOR step towards becoming a healthier person. Congratulations.

I have gained about 10 pounds in the last three years (I gained no weight when I quit smoking) since I had a hysterectomy. I am someone who never had a weight issue and could eat as I pleased. Ten pounds isn't much, but for someone who never weighed over 119 it seems like a lot. I have a lot more empathy for anyone trying to lose weight. Weight and the habits and lifestyle choices behind it are a huge challenge to change.

If you can quit smoking you can lose the weight you need to to become even healthier. Do you keep a food journal? That has helped me be accountable and realistic about my true caloric intake. You might want to check out FitDay.com, its free and you can really get a good take on your caloric intake/usage.

I would imagine your joints and everything else would feel better if your weight was less. No matter what the docs tell you, its going to be totally up to you to fight the weight battle just as you fought the smoking battle (unless you opt for surgical weight loss banding or whatever -- geesh).

Two other things: if you are gaining muscle mass your weight may initially increase as muscle weighs more than fat, but that would be very cool as ultimately the muscle will help burn more calories while at rest, etc.

Second, glucosimine has been researched and proven to help joint problems. An orthopaedic surgeon even recommended it to my husband. It will take several weeks to notice an improvement but it will help. I've gotten back on it in the last six weeks and my joint problems have pretty much disappeared.

If you can quit smoking and stay quit, you can do anything! You are on your way to a much healthier life and hopefully your doctor, your husband and the rest of the known world will support you in your efforts.

DDH
10-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Okay, I went to the Doctor. He is doing blood work to check for rumetoid arthritis, and checking my thyroid. Other than that nothing.
I will wait and see what the blood work says and go from there. I have pretty much given up on my Insurance, I think I am begining to hate the HMO.

I take the Osteo Bi-flex glucosamine, and I take a womans multivitamin plus the viativ chewable calcium daily. Sometimes I forget it. But for the most part I have been taking it for the past month.

Surgery is out of the question, I want to lose the weight without those kind of drastic measure. I have always been scared to death of any kind of surgery so unless I am dieing I will deal with all my pains. LOL

Lisa, your right as far as my husband goes, except that I don't sit around and complain about it. Most of the time I don't say anything, he will see me limp or something and then ask. I have gotten to where I say nothing to him and tell him nothing is wrong when he asked because I don't want to listen to his cynical remarks. He is very supportive otherwise in other things, and I know he loves me. I just don't know why he has to act like if I have an ache or pain that it irritates or in some way inconviences him. He still has supper, clean clothes and a clean house. I still do everything I need to do and don't let it stop me, so the cynical or snotty remarks are not needed or justified.

Anyway, my doc did the norm. I think I will see if he will send me to the nutritionist and just leave it at that. I have lived with my aches and pains this long, guess I can do it a little longer.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Donna, sounds like a good plan getting the bloodwork and getting checked for arthritis and thyroid. Don't forget possible Lyme disease (many of my friends have gotten it, lots of ticks where we live.)

I do understand about the husband/sympathy factor. It's not always easy being in a longterm relationship. :o Good that there lots of support on most things though.

Funny story- this morning, my DH was nursing an irritated eye, and i put some medicine drops in it while giving him lots of sympathy...Oh, poor BABY!....etc. ;) Then I went in the bathroom and was cleaning around the bottom of the toilet with a sponge. I turned and stood up, forgetting that I had left the medicine cabinet open, and BAM, hit my head right on the corner of the sharp cabinet door- yeowch!! I gave a little whimper-cry, because it really did hurt, but kept cleaning. DH came in to see what had happened and I said Oh Nothing, I'm ok. But he said what are you TALKING about, you're bleeding all over the place!!! and I hadn't realized that my head was bleeding vigorously into my hair! Well you should have seen him whip into action like a real trooper, applying washcloths and nursing me like crazy- too cute. We stopped the bleeding, no stitches needed- just a dent in my head! :eek: I guess next time I whimper he'll come running REAL fast! :rolleyes:

DDH
10-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Sorry to laugh, but that is funny. Not that you got hurt but that you didn't even realize you were bleeding. LOL If I was hurt like that DH would jump in, no doubt.

I bet you are going to have a very tender head for a while. It will hurt when you try to wash your head. I'm sorry you got hurt. I hate when I do stuff like that.

Your right, being in a relationship for long periods does take work and patience, from both parties. I am sure I do things that irriatat him to no end too. Couldn't imagine what since I am so close to perfect but I am sure he could find something if he really thought about it. :D

Totally kidding there. LOL

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Too funny Donna!! :D

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Donna,
What's been happening with your pain problem lately? Any updates on what was/is causing it? How are you this month?
Thinking of you...

Patti37
11-16-2006, 02:31 AM
I had some of the same problems and more. I just did not know how to explain it to my doctor.

What I did was keep an daily journal of all my aches and pains. I started to included what I did and what I ate that day.

It really helped with my PCP. When I finally went to the rheumatologist, he knew all the right questions to ask.

Edited to say I should read the whole thread before I post...My diagnosis did end up being Rheumatoid Arthritis. They did a whole battery of blood work that did include testing for Lyme disease.

doc
11-16-2006, 03:55 AM
Just some thoughts: Ask your doctor about fibromyalgia and related diagnoses. These are pain syndromes that are very difficult to diagnose and you would likely need a referral to a specialist. The specialist who manages this would be different in different places, could be rheumatology, could be the pain team in a large hospital, etc

DDH
11-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Well as usual, I heard nothing from my doctor after my blood work. So, my sister was going in to see him and I had her take him a note. I didn't want to butt in to her doctor time, but I wanted to know something. She said he told her he would get a letter off to me, that has been a week ago tomorrow, so I don't know yet.

I still hurt in my joints but continue to try to do some kind of exercise like pilates or something when I cannot ride my bike. That seems to help. I know when I ride, my wrist will kill me during the ride and I have to constantly stop and kind of losen them up.
I just refuse to let it stop me from getting things done or doing what I want to do. I just have to be really careful when walking about my left ankle, because certain ways I step down make me want to go through the roof.

If I don't get some results soon, I will have to change my doctor.

My mom has Fibromyalgia, but she just describes the restless leg kind of stuff. Or maybe that is somthing different.

doc
11-16-2006, 09:05 AM
My mom has Fibromyalgia, but she just describes the restless leg kind of stuff. Or maybe that is somthing different.

Oh no, fibromyalgia (and other pain syndromes) are painful! Restless leg is an entity unto itself, and not associated as far as I know.

spokewench
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Donna:

There comes a time when you just can't put up with it anymore. It is definitely time to become the squeeky wheel! Call that doctor's office at least twice a day (3xs if you can stomach it). Leave messages and demand to talk to the doctor's personal assistant (MA, whatever, they have in that office) each and every time. If you can't get them, leave a message each and every time!

Send a letter immediately (overnight mail, certified return receipt) describing your concerns in writing and demanding some kind of follow up.

If you do not get a response to a week's worth of calls, go to the office and pitch a B - - - -! Act obnoxious if you have to. (I know I hate to do this, but it does get results and is necessary rarely but sometimes). I think it is necessary in your case!:(

spoke

Dogmama
11-16-2006, 02:53 PM
I triple ditto what Doc & Spokewrench said.

I have lupus and it took a rheumatologist to diagnose it. Lupus & R.A. are similar in that they are autoimmune diseases. If your doc says nothing is wrong, demand to be referred to a rheumatologist. The blood tests are very specific to the condition. Just because a preliminary blood test comes back normal, you aren't cleared of lupus or RA. I don't remember all of the fancy tests because it was a long time ago.

Spokewrench is right. I might even invoke the "L" word (Lawyer) if you need to get really nasty. Doctors & lawyers are generally like oil & water.

(As an aside - you know what the difference is between a malpractice lawyer and a catfish? One of them is a scum sucking bottom feeder and the other one is a fish.)

I decided 3 weeks ago that I didn't need to take my plaquinel for my lupus. I've taken it for 15 years, but I suddenly became an M.D. three weeks ago. I have had a headache for the last ten days. I finally connected the dots (duh!) and started the plaquinel again. Taa -daa - no more headache!

I give that example just to show how complicated these conditions can be.

You go get 'em girl!!

bcipam
11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
As another person who carries too much weight myself, I share your pain and anguish. But you probably already know this, there is no magic answer. Folks who use diet pills, go on medical diet (like Optifast), use diet programs (like nutrisystems or weight watchers) still have problems. In fact, most folks gain most of their weight back, if not more, once they stop the diet. Why? Because they have not learned what is proper to eat or not eat.

First thing I had to do was admit I am fat. I'm fat! Not big bones, fluffy, whatever, FAT - I eat too much. Not only do I eat too much I eat the wrong things. I admit this. I know I need to be more food concious like alot of the ladies on this forums. I need to eat small portions of fruits, vegetables and whole grains and stay away from the french fries and chocolate shakes, and Claim Jumper size portions, but I don't.

So where does that put me? Well at the point I have to acknowledge I have a problem and just how motivated I am to deal with the problem. There is no quick fix. It's a life long problem and my overeating needs to be controlled, every day, every hour, every minute. I am not so different than an alchoholic or drug user.

I like the AA model, take one day at a time. Praise God for each step in the right direction. Keep exercising. Keep moving. Cycling is really good for someone overweight as it is easy on the joints. You cannot lose weight unless you exercise and that means exercise for the rest of your life, not until you lose 50 lbs. FOREVER!

I'm hoping this does not sound harse. It's just I'm there too and I've learned to be realistic. I know what I am and what I need to do. I still respect myself as a person even though I am overweight. I don't expect others to respect me though just like I would not expect others to respect a drug user, but I know I am a good person and I am capable and worthy of acheiving my weight loss goal. One day, one hour, one minute at a time!

Keep at it. Let us know how you are doing. The women here are sooooooo supportive and caring.

bcipam
11-16-2006, 03:15 PM
PS... you know I hurt most the time as well. I'm not saying there isn't a medical problem you need to address, but after I get out and do a good ride, my legs hurt, my ankles throb, my back hurts - it's just part of getting your body out and making it work. After awhile the pain does go away. Right now I am in recovery mode and every little thing I do is killing me. My knee is throbbing as we speak!!!! You are overweight and the extra weight does cause stress to joints. I have trouble hiking as my weight causes my feet to swell and hurt.

I am a believer of going to the doctor. On another thread I posted about ignoring a problem, it finally got back and was dx'd as cancer. You just never know. You also need to make sure you are pre or diabetic or have some other medical condition that might affect your health and any weight loss problem you start.

Duck on Wheels
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
"I still hurt in my joints but continue to try to do some kind of exercise like pilates or something when I cannot ride my bike. That seems to help. I know when I ride, my wrist will kill me during the ride and I have to constantly stop and kind of losen them up."

Hmmm. How well does your bike fit you? The one time I had wrist and elbow pain while riding was on a rental bike that was a tad too big for me. I was overstretched reaching the handlebar and after a few miles my elbows were hurting, then after a few miles more my wrists. I had to sit up and ride one-handed, shaking my free arm loose, then switch hands, then get off and walk for a ways, then back on ... I finished the ride and was fine after lunch, had even had fun and was glad to have met lots of TE gals, but next time I'll get there early and test ride the bike if I'm renting.

DDH
11-16-2006, 08:12 PM
No my bike fits me. My wrist hurt when I bend them and leave them in that position any length of time. Doesn't matter if I am riding or typing on the computer.
I don't mean that I actually stop, I meant that I change hands up and shake one or the other out as I switch.

My hurting in my joints is worse when I am still and don't exercise or move around. When I get up in the mornings I have to be really careful how I step down because I know I am fixing to try to walk on feet and ankles that don't want me to. Once I am up and around, and get things losened back up slowly then I am better. When I have been sitting in my chair watching the T.V. and go to get up to go to the bathroom or anything then it is the same thing. My left ankle is really bad and I think because of the pain I am compensating on the other foot which is causing my right foot to hurt too.
I know it sounds like I am a freaking mess. :eek: I make myself get up and get around and refuse to let this get me down. I watch my mother barely able to get around because she wants a pill to fix everything and it hurts to move so she doesn't and I won't become my mother.

spokewench
11-17-2006, 08:19 AM
OK - Donna: Did you call you doctor three times yesterday? If not, do it TODAY!

Spoke Mom!

DeniseGoldberg
11-17-2006, 08:26 AM
No my bike fits me. My wrist hurt when I bend them and leave them in that position any length of time. Doesn't matter if I am riding or typing on the computer.
But when you're riding your wrists shouldn't be bent - they should be straight. The only time I can imagine that your wrists would be bent is if you're riding with your hands on top of the bar and you are leaning (putting weight) on them. When my hands are on the drops or over the brake hoods my wrists are straight. And if they are on the bar in front of me and I'm riding well, they aren't bent then either.

Maybe Sheldon Brown's write-up on Bicycling and Pain might help identify something: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

Here's another article from the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin that might be helpful: http://www.bfw.org/articles/pinsand.php

--- Denise