PDA

View Full Version : November SS- Let's start brainstorming!

Aggie_Ama
10-17-2006, 05:58 AM
I will bite and organize. It seems a lot of October gals are already receiving or saying they sent them. We are already mid-month maybe we should start planning the SS for November? Any ideas?

Here are my thoughts:
-Christmas Ornaments (unless we have a lot of non-christmas types, that is okay)
-Something that makes winter easier on the bike (wool socks, toe warmers, oh those little instant heat packs are nice for a break, lip balm, etc)
-Small bike gadget you love. I LOVE my tire levers!

I want to get everyone's name out by the end of the month so we have plenty of time to shop before the holiday madness (ehm other shoppers).

Can we get a theme by this Sunday (10/22/06)? That will allow people time to decide if they want to join in!

Send me you names by Sunday October 29, 2006. I will send you a SS that week! Sound easy enough?

Tater
10-17-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm in! I am open to any theme, but am rather partial to favorite bike gadgets and the like.

Bikingmomof3
10-17-2006, 08:21 AM
I am in. :D The theme does not matter to me, I will do what the majority want. I do like the idea of thing to use for late autumn/winter. Since you are heading it up, what would you like to swap?

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Count me in as well. I am not much for Christmas stuff, but I am leaving for Italy Nov 1st so whoever I get won't get their stuff until i get back (later in the month) but I MIGHT be able to get them a trinket from Italy besides.

Trekhawk
10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Count me in as well. I am not much for Christmas stuff, but I am leaving for Italy Nov 1st so whoever I get won't get their stuff until i get back (later in the month) but I MIGHT be able to get them a trinket from Italy besides.

Oooh lucky you and lucky SS.:)

CyclChyk
10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
This is fun! Count me in! I will be much more stealthy this time around tho and no one will figure out its me :-)

I love the xmas ornament idea. I've seen cool bike ones......

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Christmas is no good- lots of people don't celebrate it. Winter bike stuff might work. Although... some people don't live in cold areas!

I vote for "favorite bike tools or bike gadgets". That leaves lots of options open rather than narrowing it down to winter-specific. We all have our favorite little handy biking do-dads that we'd love to introduce to others, I bet.

Aggie_Ama
10-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Hmm.. I am a sucker for Christmas Ornaments is the only reason I threw that out. DH and I get one every year to symbolize something for the year. Our tree is getting so much more personal each year. :) I respect that a lot of people don't do Christmas for various reasons.

What about something local and a favorite bike gadget? I know local has been done before, but it is always neat to get something from someone's home. A postcard, CHOCOLATE (subtle hint) , socks from the LBS, anything you can find that says "THIS IS MY HOME!". Heck if you get more or CyclChyk you can make it an ornament! :p

Winter bike stuff is hard to find here. The minute I posted that I realized our Aussie gals would need summer stuff in November!

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
CHOCOLATE!!! what a GREAT Idea!

chickwhorips
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
CHOCOLATE!!! what a GREAT Idea!

agreed!

i'll be going through town again so i can actually shop instead of ordering it online and get stuff from "here".

han-grrl
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
This sounds neat, but how does this work exactly?

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Everyone will send an IM to Aggie_Ama with their name and address
and preferences, if necessary. She will send each person who IM'd her
someone else's address. YOu will need to buy/make/prepare stuff for the address she sends YOU.

it's fun!

CyclChyk
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
AGGIE - I just wanna say I like your way of thinking! I too love getting a new ornament each year to celebrate me and my DH's life together.

And I'm easy so I vote for whatever. I just love shopping for others and *seeing* their faces light up at the surprise of the gift. Of course, I always get something for myself when I am shopping for others so there IS an ulterior motive ;)

Aggie_Ama
10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
AGGIE - I just wanna say I like your way of thinking! I too love getting a new ornament each year to celebrate me and my DH's life together.

Thanks CyclChyk. Thread hikack! We love shopping together for our ornament.

Year 1- Lenox First Christmas together
Year 2- We went to Disneyworld a week before Christmas and picked an ornament together.
Year 3- We got a cycling paceline!! We did our first century, first MS150. It fit.
Year 4 (this year)- We will be looking for the perfect "First Christmas in Our New House" ornament.

Back to the debate, seems bike gadgets are getting a positive response. Other ideas? I will keep watching for suggestions until Sunday then we will settle on a theme. :) I love getting my SS gifts, so whatever we come up with will be great!

guanajagirl
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Count me in! I like the idea of bike gadgets. Since iam just starting out this is a area that iam lacking in big time! And choclate is always great ;) PM sent

7rider
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm so far batting 0 for 2, but I'm optimistic and the month is still young. Besides, this month I'm guilty myself of not getting my October SS something (she's not in the USA, and I'm a little nervous about mailing overseas. Advice anyone from those who have???).

Anywho...
How about this?
Theme: Fun stuff. It could be bike gadgets/ornaments/toys/etc. Be creative and have...FUN!
When you PM Angie_Ama, you say "Christmas (or) Hanakkah OK" and that will let your SS know if you are open to receiving a holiday themed treat. The presumption will be NO holiday themed item.
Anyway, that's my thought.

xeney
10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I like that idea, Regina -- of course, if your SS doesn't do Christmas or Hannukah you may still wind up with something un-holiday themed, but it opens up the possibilities.

mimitabby
10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Well, I'm so far batting 0 for 2, but I'm optimistic and the month is still young. Besides, this month I'm guilty myself of not getting my October SS something (she's not in the USA, and I'm a little nervous about mailing overseas. Advice anyone from those who have???).

Anywho...
How about this?
Theme: Fun stuff. It could be bike gadgets/ornaments/toys/etc. Be creative and have...FUN!
When you PM Angie_Ama, you say "Christmas (or) Hanakkah OK" and that will let your SS know if you are open to receiving a holiday themed treat. The presumption will be NO holiday themed item.

Regina, just put the stuff in a box or an envelope and take it to the post office.
There will be 3 rates, super expensive, medium, and cheap. Cheap takes 4-6 weeks. Medium takes 5-10 days, so don't delay, the poor girl has to wait a long time after you mail it anyway.
I just mailed mine a couple days ago and there was no problem at all!

Aggie_Ama
10-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Regina- I love that idea!! Then it is a complete surprise. BTW- my July SS came late in August and my September SS arrived the beginning of October. People have things come up, stinks that you are 0-2 but there still may be a package heading to your door. My September SS got hers this week! Yours may still be en route.

Any thoughts on Regina's idea? It is a great one.

chickwhorips
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
i agree it is a good one!

short cut sally
10-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Regina, I have a feeling your SS will be mailing the Oct. pkg tomorrow when she goes to the PO. Just an ESP. :) Please don't give up hope yet..I;ve mailed to Australia in previous SS exchange, I went with the cheapest rate, (2-3 weeks delivery) and I think she got the items quicker than that.

CyclChyk
10-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Any thoughts on Regina's idea? It is a great one.

Ditto

makbike
10-18-2006, 02:19 AM
I like Regina's suggestion about stating your preference.

I'm in the same boat as Regina and would like to make a suggestion, based on a method used at my work place. At work we do a Secret Angel gift exchange the month of December. We can give several little gifts throughout the month or one big gift at the end or any combination. However, if we know we are going to give our Secret Angel gift(s) one large gift or we are going to start later then the designated starte date, we simply let the person who organized the event know. They in turn pass a note onto the individual so they do not think they have been forgotten or abandon. I would suggest the same here - if you know you are going to be late why not send a quick PM to the person who organized it for the month simply asking them to let their SS know their package will be 1, 2, 3 etc weeks late or due to unseen events no package will be coming to their mailbox. I know several people have posted notes saying their gift would be late but those who have not yet received it do not know who the note is directed at so a PM from the organizer would at least let the recipient know they had not been forgotten.

Marcie

jeannierides
10-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Well, I'm so far batting 0 for 2, but I'm optimistic and the month is still young.
How about this?

I'm in this time too... didn't get anything from my SS in August,:( so opted out in Sept... and I miss it! SO count me in... PM on it's way... something FUN! :D

mimitabby
10-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Aggie, can you get with the gals that ran this in Aug, Sept, to find out if the same people who are not giving aren't still Getting nice gifts while leaving their own secret sisters in the lurch?
I would be VERY disappointed if this happened to me!

Trekhawk
10-18-2006, 08:24 AM

Anywho...
How about this?

Not sure where OS you are posting but being an Aussie I post stuff home all the time. I always go the cheapest airmail option and it ends up normally getting there in about a week. Remember to select things that dont weigh loads or that is what you will pay. USPS people are very helpful (at least they are where I live) so if you have any questions just ask them - dont forget to fill out a customs slip and your set.

7rider
10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
I did hear from my September (no longer) SS, and was assured it is in the mail. No slams against anyone here. Anxiously awaiting (oh, crud, I'm so impatient! You should have seen me as a kid at Christmas!). :rolleyes:
I'm just such a rookie at this (and quite literal in following instructions), I'm afraid my package(s) are whimpy or worse, dorky. I'd love to see how you pros do it. I actually had my stuff ready to go for weeks before I mailed it last month myself (she got it on the 30th, how's that for making it by the skin o' yer teeth??).

Aggie_Ama
10-18-2006, 09:57 AM
**Mimi- I can follow up. If anyone has been behind on their SS please PM me. This isn't a witch-hunt. It would just be nice to let your previous SS know something came up and you were unable to fulfill the commitment or something is on its way. I won't pass along who was unable to participate. It would just be nice to know someone received your name and sometimes things happen. Does that sound fair Mimi?**

Since I am starting to get a lot of PM's and Regina's idea got a positive response, let's declare that the theme.

If you have already PM'd me I will follow up for suggestions.

If you want to participate:
Send me a PM by Sunday, October 29. State your name, address and state if Christmas/Hanakkah themed is okay. If you don't state either way we will assume you just want something fun/bike related.

7rider
10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
And note that I am typing-challened. (edit: See? Did it again! That's CHALLENGED!)
Of course, you'd be PM'ing AGGIE_AMA, not "Angie_Ama"! :eek:

Hub
10-18-2006, 11:42 AM
I wanna play this month!
I agree with the idea of Xmas stuff or fun items!
Cleveland is not only flat, it's small - no Bike shops for more
than 100 miles.
This will be my first time, so someone will have to go over the rules,
deadlines and $ limits or suggestions . . .

ClockworkOrange
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM

Anywho...
How about this?

Hi Regina

Fun stuff sounds like real 'fun'!

I'm definitely up for that.

BTW..............I posted my parcel today to my SS for this month and was told it will only take about one week, also it was quite a heavy parcel and it cost $10 but that was my fault, kept putting daft things inside, so no, the socks were not heavy.............:D

Sally

Aggie_Ama
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I wanna play this month!
I agree with the idea of Xmas stuff or fun items!
Cleveland is not only flat, it's small - no Bike shops for more
than 100 miles.
This will be my first time, so someone will have to go over the rules,
deadlines and $ limits or suggestions . . .

Hub- Click on my screen name and select to send me a PM. The rules are- there are no rules! Around 11/1 I will send you a name, address and their preference. You go shopping when you have time and send it when you can get it in the mail. If you think you will be late (after November), please send me another PM so I can alert your secret sister. The usual price people spend is $10-20, some spend more. I usually include extra goodies I find along the way. Examples: flower seeds, my favorite cycling food, socks, keychains. You can reveal who you are or keep it a mystery. I hope that gives you an idea.

Hi Regina

Fun stuff sounds like real 'fun'!

I'm definitely up for that.

Sally

Just send me your address and preference Clockwork!

7rider
10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
DH was sitting on the porch glider with a beer in hand when I rode home today. "You got a package today from California," he said.
Ooooooo!!! My September SS package had arrived! YAY!
Like a kid at Christmas, I dropped my bike, gave the DH a quick peck on the cheek, and tore in the front door for the package!
Thanks SS! I love it! (but I did wait until I was showered and not sweaty before I tried on the t-shirt!) :cool:

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Just a little thought....
Part of the enjoyment of being part of the secret sisterhood is hearing that your sister was thrilled with getting her goodies in the mail. It's nice to know if they got there ok, and fun to see if your SS posts when she gets her package. Giving is as much fun as receiving!

jeannierides
10-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm with you, Lisa... I love to hear if my SS likes her things... makes it all worthwhile! :D

short cut sally
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
I agree with Lisa SH, I would like to know if the recipeint received the pkg or not..I wasn't sure if my last gift sent across seas was received or not.. I have no way of knowing.. I liked being able to go to the get to know you and do some detective work., I have no detective skills so hopefully I am gathering the right stuff and that my SS likes her small pkg that I sent to her..if not, my SS, will look like this :eek: when she opens it.

Aggie_Ama
10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Just a little thought....
Part of the enjoyment of being part of the secret sisterhood is hearing that your sister was thrilled with getting her goodies in the mail. It's nice to know if they got there ok, and fun to see if your SS posts when she gets her package. Giving is as much fun as receiving!

I agree! It would even be cool if we could post pictures of some of our more unique goodies. :) I have always posted or PM'd my SS to let her know it arrived safe and was appreciated. Three of my four "sisters" have let me know they got the package and enjoyed it. I am sure my fifth one will follow suit, I haven't seen her post in a week. I wonder if it made it down under yet?

Shiraz
10-23-2006, 07:27 PM
I love being part of the the SS. I PM you Aggie to be included in the the Nov exchange. I love Christmas things or holiday items!! Love it all. It is so fun and uplifting to shop for my SS. I have loved everything I have received because so much thought goes into picking it out.

Aggie_Ama
10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know it isn't too late to join the fun! I will take names through Sunday (10/29). I haven't counted in the past few days, but we are over 30 participants. It is going to be another fun month.

Theme: Fun stuff. It could be bike gadgets/ornaments/toys/etc. Be creative and have...FUN! When you PM me, you say "Christmas (or) Hanakkah OK" and that will let your SS know if you are open to receiving a holiday themed treat. The presumption will be NO holiday themed item.

suzieqtwa
10-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Im in too...this sounds like fun. Aggi...Ive been married 16 years and each year we have a new ornament to celebrate our lives,but Im up for anything. Our tree is getting full. ; )

kerrybelle
10-27-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm in.... I just love this SS thing!

Kerry