PDA

View Full Version : Local Bicycle Frame Paintshop? Around WA State...

freshsushi
10-12-2006, 09:38 AM
I just got a "new" track bicycle - a 1980 Matsuri. Very cool lugs, in great shape, but the paint has seen better days.

Anyone have any recommendations for a local paintshop around the Seattle-WA area? I'm thinking of a solid color frame, nothing too fancy, I might want the lugs a different color. Any idea how much that might run me?

mimitabby
10-12-2006, 11:25 AM
I know R&E cycle on University way in Seattle does paint jobs, but i can't tell you how much.

salsabike
10-12-2006, 06:08 PM
R&E's the one I know too. It costs about $200 for a custom paint job on one of their bikes; not sure if it would be different on a non-Rodriguez bike.

KnottedYet
10-12-2006, 07:24 PM
R+E is the only one I know, too.

Mimi- who is doing your dh's Davidson's paint?

I wonder if TiCycles does their own paint on the frames they build.

Recycled Cycles works with a lot of restorations/rebuilds, they might Know of some paint shops. www.recycledcycles.com

HipGnosis6
10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Elliot Bay bikes does painting and powdercoating.

freshsushi
10-13-2006, 06:06 AM
Most excellent! I will call around and post what I find... I did a search for "bicycle paint seattle" and came up with something like "cycling with body paint"... not what i was looking for... :p

Someone also suggested auto body shop... so I will try there too...

mimitabby
10-13-2006, 06:42 AM
Knotted, I don't know. I'll ask.

And Fresh, please let us know what you find out. One of these days, my Bianchi is going to need a paint job too.

MM_QFC!
10-13-2006, 09:46 AM
I had a custom road bike built by R&E and their frame/paint shop is still in existence; as others have said, R&E is on the north end of University, near Ravenna: http://rodcycle.com
Also, their former framebuilder/painter is Matt Houle and he's in business for himself now. He's the one who built and painted my beautiful bike, while he was at R&E and I saw him at Bike Expo earlier this year.
His website was easy to find, so here's the link, in case it helps with your consideration:
http://www.bicyclespecialtiesonline.com/paint.htm

freshsushi
10-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Ok, so after looking at different options, I decided against paint because I was pretty sure I was going with one solid color unless I could chrome just my lugs, which I didn't see how that was possible unless I disassembled my frame which wasn't going to happen. Someone can correct me if they understand the chroming process better, but I think I'd have to chrome the whole thing, and then paint just the tubes, which would add on extra weight, and would cost more than what I'm willing to spend. I decided to go with powdercoating my frame instead because it's a little more durable, it's cheaper, and I can still get a nice color with the technology nowadays. Someone also mentionned that it also has little if no impact on the engironment, which is always a plus to me.

That being said, I also read about Aaron's Bicycle Repair, which does do paint for the lowest price I have seen, $230 for bead blasting (supposedly better for your bicycle than sandblasting), base coat, top coat, and one solid color:
http://www.rideyourbike.com/paint.html

And I'm going to go with these guys:
Northwest Powder Coatings Inc
1400 S 192ND St
SeaTac, WA 98148
(206) 241-1614

For $150, they'll sandblast and powdercoat your frame to a color of your choosing. I've heard some good things about them in another bike forum and it sounds promising.

mimitabby
10-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Ok, so after looking at different options, I decided against paint because I was pretty sure I was going with one solid color unless I could chrome just my lugs, which I didn't see how that was possible unless I disassembled my frame which wasn't going to happen. Someone can correct me if they understand the chroming process better, but I think I'd have to chrome the whole thing, and then paint just the tubes, which would add on extra weight, and would cost more than what I'm willing to spend.

The chrome is expensive enough, they will only chrome the parts of the bike you want chromed.
there will be a very specifically defined line, that's part of the beauty of the Chrome.

Now may I ask you a stupid question, when you have your bike painted, do YOU take the whole bike apart or do they?