PDA

View Full Version : Rec's please: under $50, best for wide hips/pelvis

trashalicious
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Here is my criteria: I don't want to spend more than $50, and I have really wide hips (I've got 12" from hip bone to hip bone across my stomach), so narrow saddles suck. I rode ten miles today on the crappy saddle my new (used) bike came with and have horrible sitbone pain.

So? Whatcha got? I would even pay more or search for used for the right saddle. Thanks...

Trek420
10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Trash, and welcome to TE

Terry makes this, wide, a cut out, gel, under $50!

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7805

trashalicious
10-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks! I think I had seen that but passed by because of the "designed for riders who are fully upright on hybrids or cruiser style bikes". I should mention I'm a roadie and I definitely don't ride fully upright. How much of a difference do you think that would make? I'm not overly concerned about weight because I'm not a racer, but would this affect positioning?

On a side onte, I also forgot to mention, no leather please.....

uforgot
10-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Triskeliongirl had 3 Terry Butterflys for sale for $40 plus shipping. I purchased one and I still think she has one left. You might PM her. So far it's working out for me, but if it doesn't, they sell very well on ebay.

KnottedYet
10-12-2006, 07:11 AM
You can also go to Recycled Cycles and see what they have in the used saddle bin. They are down in the U-district on Boat St. www.recycledcycles.com

Get your outside sitbones (ischial tuberosity) measurement first, then borrow a tape measure from the guys and go through the bin looking for a vegan one that is at LEAST as wide as your outside measurement.

I was there one day and saw a girl get a Terry Sport (terry doesn't make it anymore) for $10. :eek:

RC sells the Serfas Niva, which is almost but not quite wide enough for me. It is a pear-shaped saddle top, so if you have a chafing issue it will likely chafe. It is vegan, or at least vegetarian, and has a cute little sun-face on one "cheek". I think I paid $40 or so for mine.

PAP103
10-12-2006, 08:23 AM
I have a Serfas RX which works well for my wide butt. I paid about $40 for it at REI. If you order from REI then don't like it, they have a great return policy.

Good luck,
Patty

recycle613
10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Get your outside sitbones (ischial tuberosity) measurement first,

I was just about to post: What does outside sitbone matter ... especially on a bike with drops .... then ...

I got out my trusty measure and took 3 measurements ... averaging 180 mm.

My favorite saddles are the brooks w/ width measurements 170 to 177.

You're method is pretty good. I tend to ride leaning forward and don't really care about the outside of my sitting in my desk chair bones ... even the slightest tilt rolls those narrower a bit. I also know my creases in my saddle are well in from the edges so that's where my weight is focused.

Trashalicious, I think you can shave a little off the very widest measurement when trying saddles. But, Knotted Yet gives a very good starting point.

Nashbar has a Terry Liberator for under $40 and 20% off through today (if you spend a total of $50 or more).
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=114&subcategory=1082&brand=&sku=8797&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Saddles
They have a few other women's models there as well. I've found Nashbar to be great about returns (you will have to pay shipping tho').

A Liberator works for me riding bullhorns ... and it's width is 92% of my sitting up outside sit bone measurement.

YMMV.

mimitabby
10-12-2006, 09:48 AM
I was just about to post: What does outside sitbone matter ... especially on a bike with drops .... then ...

A Liberator works for me riding bullhorns ... and it's width is 92% of my sitting up outside sit bone measurement.

YMMV.

riding bullhorns? what do you mean?

trashalicious
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Thank you for all the recommendations, definitely a good starting point.

Knottedyet, I was actually at Recycled last night, but only made my way through the shoes before I ran out of time! But I'll definitely be back soon, thanks for the used bin success story. Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually finds what they're looking for in the bins since it's so hit and miss.

mimitabby
10-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Thank you for all the recommendations, definitely a good starting point.

Knottedyet, I was actually at Recycled last night, but only made my way through the shoes before I ran out of time! But I'll definitely be back soon, thanks for the used bin success story. Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually finds what they're looking for in the bins since it's so hit and miss.

Definitely, we find good stuff there!

divingbiker
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm having fairly good luck with the Specialized Dolce saddle for rides up to 50 miles or so. Haven't gone farther since I got it. I know what you mean about no leather, as I'm a vegan and do my best to avoid leather, wool, etc; sometimes it's hard to find non-leather items, especially shoes, but under $50 I doubt that any saddle is made of leather.

I found the Terry Liberator to be like riding on a 2x4. It was awful. I've got a Selle SMP TRK (http://cgi.ebay.com/SELLE-SMP-TRK-Lady-saddle-2006-NEW-Black-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ270002385853QQcmdZViewItem) I'd be happy to send you if you want to try it, but (like others on TE found) it was too wide through the nose for me.

recycle613
10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
riding bullhorns? what do you mean?

Actually mine are time-trial bars ... but bullhorns are usually drops, flipped and chopped. Very popular on fixed gear bikes b/c you can get way forward to get enough leverage to skid (lock the rear wheel).

Here's mine (step-thru) and a more classically cut pair pic from the fixed gear gallery.

mimitabby
10-12-2006, 11:22 AM
oh! thank you. I thought you were referring to the way you were sitting on the saddle! "doing bullhorns" and it sounded very painful!!

KnottedYet
10-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Definitely, we find good stuff there!

And if you tell the guys what you're looking for, they'll hold it and call you if it comes in.