PDA

View Full Version : New puppy comin' - need advice!

Dogmama
10-11-2006, 04:06 AM
Some might remember that I lost my dear, sweet Kati (German Shepherd) at 14 years old. After several weeks of intense grieving, my DH said "When we are supposed to get a new dog, it will appear."

The next day at work, a friend told me about some 2 week old pups that her sister-in-law's dog bred. I looked into them - EXACTLY WHAT I WANT. Both parents Czech imports with German obedience titles and previous pups that went to law enforcement and therapy dog organizations (read: stable temperment.) Expensive, but worth it. They are three weeks old & I can get my sweetie in five more weeks (counting...counting...counting...) My second love (after riding) is showing in obedience and agility.

Here is the issue. I'm in Tucson & the pup is in North Carolina. He/She (I get pick of the litter, but they're too young to temperment test, so we don't know yet) will be too big to fly inside of the airplane. So - they go as cargo :eek: or, if I fly to NC & back, they go as baggage. The difference is:

Cargo gets processed differently and the time-in-cage could extend out to one hour longer, potentially 8-9 hours in the cage, with a 1 hour layover.

If I fly back, I would try to get an airline with a straight through flight (United - but I would not ship cargo on United for several reasons) and take Baby back as luggage. Flight: 4.5 hours, probably 5.5 in the cage, no layover. Cost: $400 each (DH would go), plus rental car & hotel.

Am I over the top? I'm thinking that airline people might treat the pup a little better if they know that they're being shipped as "baggage" which means that the owner is on the plane. It might be less traumatic for the pup to have a 4.5 hour straight through flight (think: dark room, humming engines = sleep) rather than a 8-9 hour flight, with a layover.

MY DH thinks I'm a tad nuts - but he supports whatever I do (one in a million!). What do you ladies think? Am I being ridiculous?

Veronica
10-11-2006, 04:12 AM
If you can afford it, fly out! This is your baby.

V.

Trek420
10-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Could you fly out, pick a pup, rent a car and drive back? You get bonding time with pup. I'd be hesitant to have my mutt in the luggage bin. It's dark and noisey ....

KnottedYet
10-11-2006, 05:41 AM
We've heard of some pretty traumatic doggie experiences with flights.

I like Trek's idea. If that won't work, then I like the idea of you flying out there so it's only a 4.5 hour event for the pup.

Pedal Wench
10-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Since the pup comes from a long line of service dogs, could you get a waiver that indicates that he/she's a service pup in training so he/she could fly in the cabin with you? And, are you sure he/she would be too big to fly in the cabin? My little mastiff was still a little peanut when I got her at six weeks. She grew up to be about 175 lbs:eek:

Veronica
10-11-2006, 05:45 AM
The driving idea is nice, but isn't it like a three day drive or more from NC to AZ? Is that how you want to use your vacation time?

Then there is the whole hassle of finding places to sleep that are pup friendly.

I wonder if you could do a return trip first class and buy an extra ticket for the pup.

V.

DDH
10-11-2006, 05:59 AM
I like the driving back idea, and the seeing if you can let them know the pup is service pup in training and see if they will allow it to fly with you.
If nothing else then the shortest flight possible is best if you can afford it.
It is very traumatic for a pup when it is first taken from it's mom and sibblings, so I would want to make the trip home the least stressful as possible.

I can't wait to see pictures of it. I love GS pups, they are my favorite.

KnottedYet
10-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Man, I always underestimate driving times! Must mean I need to take some more road trips (with the bike, of course!).;)

When I drove cross-country with my dog I had no problems with hotels.

Somewhere there was a list of hotels that are dog friendly, and most just wanted $10 extra. One hotel chain (La Quinta?) even offered to make advance reservations for the dog and I for the hotel nearest our next night-stop. That was very convenient.

Dog and I got the "smoking" rooms, but that was fine.

Is the pup going to be a service dog? (do you have the paperwork, etc?) ADA laws cover service dogs, but dogs-in-training can be refused access. Though that doesn't happen much.

Nashville Mish
10-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to post my two cents worth. I had to fly my two dogs from Honolulu to Los Angeles last year. I have a Japanese Spitz female, and an American Eskimo/Japanses Spitz mix male. Both weigh roughly 30 lbs. I tried to post a pic but it would not upload..arhhh. The flight and ground time was roughly 5 hours in the cage for them, and they had to fly as cargo in the aircraft. I made sure to tell the stewardess and to have her tell the captain about their special cargo. They let me know as soon as they were on board and safe. I was a wreck the entire flight. As soon as we landed I rushed to baggage claim. My babies did fine but once they saw me the demanded to be let out of their cages. They did well, but from Los Angeles I decided to drive to New Olreans, our ultimate destination. I'm giving BIG kudos to La Quinta hotel. They accept pets and are located in very convenient areas. They also were life savers to us when Hurricane Katrina came along and the three of us had to evacuate. Once again La Qunita came through and we ended up safe and sound in Birmingham during the storm. :) So if you decide to take a nice leisurely drive home with your new baby look into staying at La Quinta and enjoy the new baby. Good Luck.

KSH
10-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Am I over the top? I'm thinking that airline people might treat the pup a little better if they know that they're being shipped as "baggage" which means that the owner is on the plane. It might be less traumatic for the pup to have a 4.5 hour straight through flight (think: dark room, humming engines = sleep) rather than a 8-9 hour flight, with a layover.

You are NOT over the top!

There are too many stories of dogs dying due to being shipped from one state to another as cargo in planes.

Go get your baby and ensure that your doggie is taken care of. Also, pick the shortest flight you can... so there is less trama to the dog.

Congratulations!

Bad JuJu
10-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Jeez, I hate to think of an 8-week pup alone in a crate for that long, whether it's 5 hours or 9 hours. Have you explored all the possibilities of taking baby in the cabin with you? Failing that, I'd give serious consideration to the road-trip-home idea. There are several hotel chains now that accept dogs in their rooms, and as Trek420 said, it would be a great opportunity to bond with your new best friend.

Trek420
10-11-2006, 06:09 AM
KnottedYet "Somewhere there was a list of hotels that are dog friendly, and most just wanted $10 extra. One hotel chain (La Quinta?) even offered to make advance reservations for the dog and I for the hotel nearest our next night-stop. That was very convenient."

www.traveldog.com

congrats on your new baby! :)

Veronica
10-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Trek why do your quotes always look different from everyone else's? Does your browser not show the quote button?

I know mine doesn't show the spell check button. :p

V.

KnottedYet
10-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, Trek, why is that? Are you running OS X Tiger? I am, and my "quotes" look like the PC'ers'. Are you using Safari or something else?

(mmmm, Mac talk. I feel so technical...:p )

Edit: what spell check button?

Pedal Wench
10-11-2006, 06:45 AM
AAA has a book of pet-friendly hotels all across the country. I called them and they shipped it to me for free:)

SalsaMTB
10-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Do you know a lot of people around the country? I've read about transports (typically for a rescue) across the country. It takes some organization, but if you some people along the way, maybe it could work. You just need a few people who are willing to watch the puppy for a night and make a long drive.

Just another option.

kaybee
10-11-2006, 07:27 AM
DM, congrats on the prospective new baby! I've flown with my dog as cargo, and having done that once, don't think I would ever do it again, but that's just my opinion. It was pretty stressful for my little guy. I second the fly out-drive back suggestion, since it's pretty easy to find a pet friendly hotel these days. I've even sneaked one of mine into a hotel that was not pet friendly, but would never suggest that you do that! ;)

KB

Tuckervill
10-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Do you know a lot of people around the country? I've read about transports (typically for a rescue) across the country. It takes some organization, but if you some people along the way, maybe it could work. You just need a few people who are willing to watch the puppy for a night and make a long drive.

That's what I was going to say.

Since most of your trip would be along I-40, I'd be happy to take the leg across Oklahoma for a tank of diesel. (My car gets 40 mpg). There are organizations that will do this, I know.

Karen

hiker chick
10-11-2006, 08:05 AM
My then 9-week old (11 pound) Samoyed flew in the airplane cabin with me in '02 from Denver to DC (American Airlines, I believe, but not sure about that). So long as they can stand up and turn around in a "sherpa" bag designed for going under an airplane seat, it's allowed and a great way to go. A German Shepherd puppy probably is bigger, though. Perhaps you should go for the runt of the litter. ;)

Gidget slept the entire way, endured a connection and never made a peep (as an adult, she's quite vocal). Her breeder had said that for puppies, the air pressure change is like a narcotic. Sure enough it was in that instance.

Airlines typically allow only a dog or two in the cabin. I recall that it cost $50. And if I had been unable to secure a place for her on the plane, I was prepared to rent a car and drive from Colorado to DC. Dog-friendly hotels are common. I've since driven across country twice with Gidget and never had a problem with hotels. Comfort Inn was my favorite cheaper chain but I believe the pet policy varies by location.

If you have to send the pup as luggage/cargo, at least November is about the best time of year, weather-wise. Sure would do a lot of research on precisely which container to transport them in. Some are better than others.

Definately get a non-stop flight to minimize time and opportunities for cargo handlers to screw up. On that note, below is a U.S. Department of Transportation link to the monthly reports of airline data, including stats and incidence reports on animals who have died while in possession of the airlines. The dead animal reports are a recent requirement.

Dogs should not be tranquilized when flying. If I had to fly my dog as cargo, I would need to tranquilize myself, whether or not I was on the plane. :eek:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr06.htm

And some tips on making air transport of pets safer:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_airtraveltips

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/caring_for_pets_when_you_travel/traveling_by_air_with_pets/summary_of_airline_pettransport_policies.html

Good luck and congrats on the new pup!

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I love animals- and over the years have had and loved my share of expensive purebred beauties, both dogs and cats.
Four years ago I adopted 2 cats from the local shelter, and in the process I visited many times and saw so many sad homeless unwanted animals there- it just broke my heart. I also saw all the volunteers there working on a bare shoestring budget.
That was when I decided that from then on I would adopt shelter animals whenever I was ready for another "child".
Since then, I give a small donation to 2 different animal shelters here every year. Our stringband also volunteers our music services for the fund raising event of the Humane Society as well, which is a huge success.
I DO empathize with your wanting a new and very special dog in your life. But all those hundreds of dollars spent just to GET the puppy to you?- please do consider how many homeless and sick abandoned animals could be saved or helped with that kind of money. Or perhaps there is room in your heart and home for a "rescue shepherd" waiting near you somewhere and hoping beyond hope for a home it may never have?
I don't mean to be judgemental- just wanted to raise another viewpoint to consider as well...

Ninabike
10-11-2006, 08:16 AM
If you must fly, a friend of mine who was a breeder and showed dogs all over the world told me that Delta is the best airline for animal transport. The cargo area is pressurized and heated and they make accomodations for animals. You might want to call them and inquire. (This was several years ago and I don't know if things have changed.)

Nina

chickwhorips
10-11-2006, 09:27 AM
congrats on the new addition. i say go out on pick him/her up. great bonding time for you.

alaska airlines is great with flying animals! wheni had to fly my two up here from phoenix the were so nice about it. we were delayed and they even put my two in the boss's office with air con and walked them for me. you get a little ticket that says Don't worry I'm on board. when they put them on the aircraft. bad news, don't think AK Airlines flies out that way from you.

i know its never racking traveling with pets. if you could get the puppy on as a dog in training that would be great, otherwise just stay on top of where the puppy is at all times. that's what i did when i flew with mine. the airline was really nice about it. i heard the same thing about delta or northwest flying dogs around.

good luck.

mtbdarby
10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
DM, here's another option. I have a friend who is a pilot. He's working on his commercial license and while logging more miles, has started being a "taxi" for people at reduced rates (he can't turn a profit without a commercial license). For example, he charged $400 for 2 people roundtrip from Madison to Indianapolis. I know your trip is longer, but maybe you could contact your local airport and get in touch with someone that deals with the private fliers and see if anyone is interested. Then you get a birds eye view in the cockpit, travel faster, no going through the airport (they have their own private hangers) and new addition is right next to you. Just a thought...

Trek420
10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Veronica "Then there is the whole hassle of finding places to sleep that are pup friendly."

That's not hard to do at all.

Mae the wonder dog and my ex (back in the day when she wasn't and ex) I did a trip in the Southwest, I took 3 books and it was very serendiptious.

We'd pick a town to head for I would call right from the road and check their "dog policy".

I have the books at home and I can even send them to you though they might not be up to date. One I got for free simply by calling AAA, ordered the other two.

There was even one hotel that we called, they said it was ok, we arrived and they said "oh, you talked to so and so, he's new, we don't take dogs" :( I was headed back to the car when the manager followed me out, saw Mae-the-wonder dog and changed her mind when she saw the cute shelter-mutt. And this was before she'd been obedience trained.

So if you want a road trip with the pup, very do-able.

Bikingmomof3
10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Trek, why is that? Are you running OS X Tiger? I am, and my "quotes" look like the PC'ers'. Are you using Safari or something else?

(mmmm, Mac talk. I feel so technical...:p )

Edit: what spell check button?

Still hijacking the thread-only because I am relieved to not be the only one without a spell checkl button. That should hopefully explain many of my typos to others. :p

Now back to puppy adoption!

colby
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm so excited for you, dogmama (and jealous!). :D

Like Salsa, I was thinking there might be some rescue/transport groups you could explore that would safely and happily transport your new family member without using airplanes. You're trusting strangers, but it's not nearly as scary as flying would be for the poor thing.

On my most recent flight from Seattle to San Diego, there was a woman with a service dog in training. It looked like he was pretty young, and not well-trained yet (wandered a little), but he did get to fly in the cabin. Might be another option, as some have mentioned. Anything to get your baby home safe!!

CyclChyk
10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
How big is the puppy? Should be small enough to fit in a carrier? Some airlines will allow a carrier that can fit under the seat to be under the seat. Alot of people with small dogs, chi's; yorkshire's, etc, utilize this option. That way your baby never touches cargo/baggage and never leaves your sight.

I think all you need to do to utilize this option is buy a ticket for the pet. Not sure of the going rate tho.

maryellen
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
definitely ck out the option of a private/charter flight. years ago i was arranging a meeting w attendees from all around north america; i was surprised at how relatively inexpensive charter flights were for certain participants. definitely worth checking out.

tygab
10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
no advice to offer, but please post pics when the new baby comes home!

Trek420
10-11-2006, 07:38 PM
While I agree with Lisa that rescue is best, Mae the wonder dog is a shelter pet, I've had near countless rescue cats over the years I can also understand if your purpose is show/agility wanting to know certain traits will be there.

I know Mae would enjoy agility, she does jumps with ease, enjoys going down the slide in the playground which is fun to watch.

I may try to build some "playground equipment" in my patio, she'd love that.

But though she's made tremendous progress vs. when I got her she's reactive to other dogs so we work mostly on our own.

She's now sitting in on her 3rd obedience class which is good. I now know I should never have stopped going to classes, should be constant for her.

There are Agility leagues for rescue dogs, if she passed Cannine Good Citizen she could go on to therapy dog work but that's probably not going to happen.

If I'd known that I might enjoy agility and or obedience training with a dog would I have "temperment tested" her? If I had done that she was part pit (how'd I miss that?) I'd have got another dog and I'd have missed her.

I've read that the good thing about a rescue (besides the karma points) is that you get the dog you're gonna get. The bad thing is you get the dog you're gonna get :rolleyes: Whatever occured in her puppy'hood is there and we may never be able to completely erase that.

I know she tries to be the best dog she can be.

I'm sure that Dogmamas pup will be a great dog, and perhaps can use her (his?) skills to help other dogs like Mae to excell at being the best dog they can be and that will be wonderful.

Aggie_Ama
10-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I agree rescuing is wonderful. In my case I have two purebreds. I needed to know how big my dog would be because I lived in an apartment with a strict weight limit. I couldn't find a shelter pup that was grown and under the limit, the puppies it was hard to tell what they might end up being. The only small dogs I could find at the shelter were Chihuahuas and no offense but I don't care for them! If you want a dog for a purpose (agility), purebred is sometimes best. My next dogs (way in the future) will probably be pound puppies because I will have a house!

About traveling, I know my Director at work just got back from Chicago and flew the entire flight back sitting next to a full grown Westie. The owner bought the dog a seat. She also said her dad flies with his dog tucked under the seat. I think he has a Jack Russell.

DDH
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
My long haired GS dog is a rescue dog. He is a great dog, but if you want to show, you cannot do it without registration papers. I don't know aobut agility, but a show dog can't show without papers and they cannot be fixed where a pound puppy must be spayed or neutered.

I adopted a dog from the pound once that we had to take back. She was nipping at the kids and going for their faces. She wouldn't do it to the adults, but with the kids, and bad thing was she wouldn't quit until she actually got them. I had already gotten her shots, gotten her spayed, and had her about 8 weeks or so and it just got worse so we had to take her back. I don't know what happened to her, but I told them that she would be a good dog for an adult couple or older couple but no one with kids. Sad thing is, she was for my son and he had picked her out. I didn't want her put down and told them so, but I am afraid that is probably what was going to happen.

So I have had mixed results with rescue dogs. The GS is great, was a year and 1/2 old when we got him and the mixed breed we got was a little aggressive towards kids and was a medium sized dog. They said she was a beagle mix, but who really knows.

Trek420
10-11-2006, 08:05 PM
When I was looking for a dog we surfed the animal rescue sites.

My ex wanted a Papillon (small breed, very smart dogs). The Papillon rescue association would not agree to let us have a dog. They wanted retirees, not people who work and would be gone during the day, and I guess they can find enough of them so that was out.

Off we went to the pound.

In a perfect world I'd be retired or win the Lotto and devote my time to Mae and my bikes. I have a neighbor who walks her, Mae loves the dog walker and vice versa and that has made a noticable difference in her behavior.

I wanted a mutt, felt some breeds tend to have specific conditions, dalmations often are blind, hip conditions in Shepards etc and a mutt could be healthier. Actually I did not want a dog at all, guess who the dog bonded with? :p

roguedog
10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey DogMama

I'm there with ya. I never wanted to fly my dog. Heard all the horror stories and besides I like driving anyway.

So..hmm.. if it's too much time to drive.. ya know what I might do?? I have a couple friends who are pilots (private) and they always seem to love to fly...

If you can find a couple flying clubs in the area I'd see if there might be a volunteer willing to log some hours while you pay for the fuel :)

These pilots always have to have hours logged for their various certifications so it might be a win-win..

I dunno.. seems like a better idea for everyone all round.

Also.. if that doesn't turn anything up, I'd also google pet transportation services.

Pascale
10-12-2006, 04:32 AM
I flew my 12 week old borzoi pup up from Tampa - when the big cargo door opened there she was, sitting up in the crate saying "HERE I AM!!!!!!". I swear nothing fazes this dog.

At the zoo, we'd fly animals all the time cargo - animals with much higher stress levels than domestic dogs, and in my 14 years I don't ever recall a negative incident.

If you fly them, be sure to follow the directions about proper crating, crate identification, and securing the crate. It wouldn't hurt to have the pup microchipped ahead of the flight as well, but honestly, an 8 week pup isn't running too fast too far if it gets loose (which, yes, happens, it makes the news, but it's pretty rare).

That being said, I'm personally driving down to Missouri to pick up my new Borzoi pup in person on Friday :) (it's cheaper than flying him, actually)

Squeaky
10-12-2006, 05:45 AM
I love animals- and over the years have had and loved my share of expensive purebred beauties, both dogs and cats.
Four years ago I adopted 2 cats from the local shelter, and in the process I visited many times and saw so many sad homeless unwanted animals there- it just broke my heart. I also saw all the volunteers there working on a bare shoestring budget.
That was when I decided that from then on I would adopt shelter animals whenever I was ready for another "child".
Since then, I give a small donation to 2 different animal shelters here every year. Our stringband also volunteers our music services for the fund raising event of the Humane Society as well, which is a huge success.
I DO empathize with your wanting a new and very special dog in your life. But all those hundreds of dollars spent just to GET the puppy to you?- please do consider how many homeless and sick abandoned animals could be saved or helped with that kind of money. Or perhaps there is room in your heart and home for a "rescue shepherd" waiting near you somewhere and hoping beyond hope for a home it may never have?
I don't mean to be judgemental- just wanted to raise another viewpoint to consider as well...

Well said. I cry whenever I walk into an animal shelter, I just can't help it. The homeless dogs and cats always get overlooked for the new shinny models. I want to save them all... :(

chickwhorips
10-12-2006, 09:34 AM
another thought: is the breeder that your getting the puppy from crate training the puppies at all? if she is then it will make traveling much easier for the both of you. i know some breeders do crate train while others don't.

Lenusik
10-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Congratulations on the new puppy! If you can drive back, it is much easier on the dog, especially this young. Here is a wonderful website that will help you plan your trip and find pet friendly hotels: http://www.petswelcome.com/
I love this site and use it a lot!
Do not send your puppy in a baggage. This is very stressful and not safe especially for a puppy that can catch anything. If you could take him in cabin, it is better. But try to figure out the way to drive back.

LBTC
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
DogMama I am sooo happy that you'll be adding a new love into your family! Congratulations! I know that she/he will bring that special love and healing that you and your DH need.

I agree with Lisa that a pound puppy may be a more karmic and essentially less expensive option, however, my DH and I have our favourite breed (Border Collie) and once even drove three hours, 2 days before Christmas, to pick our Diva up from a breeder. I don't favour dogs from breeders, it was just the scenario that worked at the time. And she's a wonderful addition to the family. You know best what works for you.

The trip sounds complicated, but, like everything else, if it's worth doing (and I know you think it is) you won't mind the details at all. I love some of the ideas that have been posted here.

I flew our special Yogi the cancer dog once in December on WestJet and they were absolutely wonderful, although it was torturous being in the cabin and worrying about him in his crate in cargo. It was avery short flight, and we made it to our destination fine and nearly stress-free. I can't imagine flying any of our babies without one of us being on the plane, too!

I love the charter idea best because it will take so much less time than driving, and should let your baby be with you in the cabin. Not that I've been on one in decades, but does anyone take the train anymore? I wonder if there are options there, since it is more comfortable than a car in that you can walk around, and have your own cabin....but I have no idea if there is passenger/overnight train service in your area, or if they allow dogs.....just maybe something to consider. It would allow you to fly out without having to rent a car to come back (if you didn't want to fly baby home)....and it would let you give baby all the attention you want during the trip. Just a thought.

Keep us posted on what you decide and on how the trip goes.

Namaste,
~T~

Dogmama
10-13-2006, 03:56 AM
ISince then, I give a small donation to 2 different animal shelters here every year. Our stringband also volunteers our music services for the fund raising event of the Humane Society as well, which is a huge success.
I DO empathize with your wanting a new and very special dog in your life. But all those hundreds of dollars spent just to GET the puppy to you?- please do consider how many homeless and sick abandoned animals could be saved or helped with that kind of money.

Lisa, my cat is a rescue - just a day away from the needle at the Humane Society because he is black & nobody wants a black cat (according to them.) I will always have rescue cats.

I give hundreds of dollars annually to our local Humane Society and ASPCA. When Katrina hit, I sent money via a credit card to the ASPCA to help the animals - figured the people would have shelters! I have volunteered (and will do again when I retire) with local dog training clubs to help people with their dogs. My hope is that if Fido can sit/stay and generally be a good member of the family, he won't end up in the pound.

I also want a dog that I can show in AKC obedience and that means a registered dog. Because my love is German Shepherds, I insist on buying from a careful breeder (not a puppy mill) as the breed is riddled with health problems. I neuter/spay immediately - always have.

I appreciate your opinion and agree wholeheartedly. I've been in dog training for 35 years and hopefully have convinced many people to neuter or spay. My favorite retort to "Oh, I want little Bubba Jr. to witness the beauty of birth!" is "Well, then have Bubba Jr. go to the pound on euthansia day to witness the result of your folly."

Dogmama
10-13-2006, 04:02 AM
The drive is a minimum 3 day (10 hours/day) drive. We decided that this might be more stressful for Junior than a short plane ride. If it were any shorter, I'd do it. I had already mapped out flying over, renting a car & driving back.

So, we fly to Charlotte NC, rent a car to go to the thriving metropolis of Lenoir. Spend a day, pick up Junior & drive to Atlanta. Take a 4 hour direct flight on Delta (supposedly pet friendly airline) to Phoenix. S/he is booked as baggage, but I'm going to plead, whine, cry and generally beg to bring Junior on the flight inside of the cabin. Then we drive 1.5 hours from Phoenix to Tucson.

Thank goodness for good travel agents!

Bad JuJu
10-13-2006, 04:19 AM
I've also heard that Delta is one of the most pet-friendly airlines there is. I think there are even times/places when they simply won't fly pets because of high temps.

Anyway, good luck with your trip, and try to find time to post some pix of the little one when you get him home!

Nanci
10-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Another good thing about going out there and flying back with the pup is you get to see and meet mom. That's pretty informative, I think.

I've flown dogs as cargo and not had any problems. I've also flown with them as baggage and not had any problems. I don't believe there is a price difference for a pet ticket between cabin/baggage, and the last time I flew with Dillbird, his ticket was $75 each way. The size of the under-seat carrier is small- the pup diefinitely couldn't sit or stand.

Nanci

KnottedYet
10-13-2006, 05:42 AM
I love the idea of Dillbird flying in a plane. I don't know why, but it just tickles me!

hiker chick
10-13-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm going to plead, whine, cry and generally beg to bring Junior on the flight inside of the cabin.

Get him one of these to wear -- extra extra small -- and he'll look convincingly like an assistance dog in training.

http://www.sitstay.com/store/clothing/service1.shtml

My Samoyed's a certified therapy dog. For liability reasons she wears her organization cape only on official visits. Sometimes when we're going to a dog-friendly retail store I've put her non-official cape on because it puts at ease people who may be afraid of dogs. It is not my intent, but it also keeps a lot of people from approaching her because they assume she's an assistance dog. I actually like adults and children to approach Gidget because it's good practice for her therapy work.

In a perversion of the Americans with Disabilities Act, if a psychiatrist will affirm that you need your pet with you at all times for your mental health, then airlines have felt obliged to oblige by letting the animal ride in the cabin.

I personally couldn't in good conscience play the ADA card, but many have.

The Atlanta-to-Phoenix direct flight sounds like a very good plan. With a crate for the pup to ride in, I don't think a long car ride would be a problem for the pup. In fact, the quality time on your lap and stops at public places like rest areas, restaurants and hotels would be excellent socialization opportunities. Socializing with people, that is. Not having had all its shots, the pup would be dangerously young to mix with other dogs.

High-quality breeders fly beloved and valuable dogs every day. 99% of the time there is no problem. On that note, it's probably safer than driving.

:)

Nanci
10-13-2006, 07:44 AM
You wouldn't believe the wide variety of reactions to him going through security. Some places let me just walk him through the metal detector, others had to inspect him, others had to call a supervisor to inspect him, others made me log him on a hazardous item log sheet (along with golf clubs and human eyes!) Once actually on the plane- (he rides in a little mesh purse) they let me carry him on my lap the whole time.

No one ever asked to see his ticket or health certificate...(which he had!) (I even photoshopped him a tiny passport with his picture in it and everything, just for fun!)

Nanci

Bluetree
10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Take a 4 hour direct flight on Delta (supposedly pet friendly airline) to Phoenix. S/he is booked as baggage, but I'm going to plead, whine, cry and generally beg to bring Junior on the flight inside of the cabin.

I hope you get to bring your baby into the cabin, but please make sure the other passengers are aware of this. The only time my ex (a surgeon) had to give emergency medical assistance on a plane involved a passenger who developed severe breathing problems/chest pains. Fortunately, it was only an asthma attack... but it was brought on because someone had a cat carrier near the guy, and he had a severe allergic reaction. Dogs don't seem to elicit as many reactions as cats do, but it would be polite to warn people nearby if they have allergies.

massbikebabe
10-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Dogmama;

I am sorry I did not read thru all the other posts but I just wanted to shed some light on my mom's recent travels with a pooch. Mom has a pup a Havenese, a sweet laid back little 8 pounder who she wanted to take to my sisters because she was going for a month and did not want to have to arrange puppy care for a month. She flew US Air from Boston to Cinci with her baby. I think it cost her an extra 100 dollars. IF the dog is small (which I am guessing yours may be because of it's age) you are allowed to fly with the dog under your seat providing it is in an appropriate carrier. Petco directed mom to what she needed to carry the pup on board, and our vet gave her some type of antihistamine to keep the dog settled. When mom flew both ways she said the crew was wonderful to her and the dog, allowing her to hold the carrier in her lap after take-off and landing, they brought the dog water, and they even took the dog out of the bag to see her because none of the crew knew what a Havenese dog was. Her fellow passengers were more than nice, she fortunately sat with dog lovers both ways. Mom said it was a wonderful experience and has nothing but good things to say about how she and the dog were handled. This was Mom's first time travelin "alone" since my fathers death and she was very nervous.

I hope things work out for you and your new baby. I just love my dog, she never complains and eats the same thing every night!!! :)

karen