PDA

View Full Version : Roller miles

7rider
10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi there.
Well, we're approaching roller-season. That time of year when it's too dark/cold/dreary to ride outside, so weekday rides are spent on the rollers or trainer in the basement.
I'm curious...
I imagine there has got to be others out there who track their mileage for a year (I just broke 2000 for the first time ever in one season).
I wonder...do you "count" miles done indoors, on the trainer or on the rollers, towards your yearly total?? I know a few who do, including my own beloved DH, but I've always viewed that as, well, cheating.
So, folks: Count or don't count roller miles towards the yearly total??
Regina

Trekhawk
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
LOL - I think they had this thread over on BJ a while back and it caused quite a stir. I remember one post which made me laugh it said something like you dont go anywhere on a trainer so you cant say I rode this many miles because you didnt leave your house. I personally dont care what people log its up to them. I dont own a trainer so all my miles are outside.

Artisan
10-10-2006, 01:28 PM
My goal on bike journal for this year is 3000, I have 450 more miles to go, you bet I'll be counting my trainer miles. I've been buying lots of winter gear in hopes to stay out on the road longer this year but I am horrible about wanting to avoid cold wet weather. I feel the goal setting of mileage is just a way to keep a record for myself and to compare year to year, the history on bike journal lets me see how I racked that up.

Aint Doody
10-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I count them. I was told one time by a guide on a tour when I was having to walk my bike up a steep grade that if your hands are on the bike, it counts. Shoot, most of the miles I put on via the rollers are a lot harder than the ones outside.

spokewench
10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I gave up counting miles years ago! IF I was training I would be logging time on the bike, intensity, type of workouts, etc. so logging miles just doesn't really get it for me. I just like to ride

makbike
10-24-2006, 05:57 PM
I count them for I'm on my bike, I'm pedaling, I'm sweating and I'm having a good time. They may be mindless miles but they are miles and I earned them. So between now and April I'll spend many hours on my bike, in my living room, pedaling and go absolutely nowhere but once the warm weather returns I won't be starting from scratch and I'll be way ahead of my buddies.

Veronica
10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Since you asked - no.

V.

SadieKate
10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Since you asked - yes.