PDA

View Full Version : Holy !!!! Snow?!?

chickwhorips
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
well came up from doing some yoga in the basement to see snow falling from the sky. the ground isn't cold enough for it to stick and stay but its snowing.

here's our lovely weather report for the day:

ALASKA PENINSULA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COLD BAY...SAND POINT
409 AM ADT MON OCT 9 2006

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM EARLY THIS
MORNING TO 5 PM ADT THIS AFTERNOON...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SOUTH OF THE ALASKA PENINSULA WILL
MOVE NORTH INTO BRISTOL BAY TONIGHT AND INTO MONDAY. THIS WILL
ALLOW FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS OF 45 TO
60 MPH EARLY MONDAY MORNING WEST OF SAND POINT WITH GUSTS TO
75 MPH. THESE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON AND DIMINISH BY MONDAY EVENING TO WESTERLY WINDS AROUND
30 MPH.

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED
OR OCCURRING. PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SECURE LOOSE OBJECTS THAT COULD
BE BLOWN AROUND OR DAMAGED BY THE WIND.

$$
FPAK52PAFC_AKZ181
-----------------
AKZ181-100500-
ALASKA PENINSULA-
INCLUDING...COLD BAY...SAND POINT
500 AM ADT MON OCT 9 2006

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 5 PM ADT MONDAY WEST OF
SAND POINT...
.TODAY...RAIN HEAVY AT TIMES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. NORTHWEST WIND
35 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 75 MPH THROUGH CHANNELED TERRAIN.
.TONIGHT...RAIN TURNING TO SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S. WEST WIND
25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH IN THE EVENING.

i think i'll be staying inside most of the day today.

Cassandra_Cain
10-09-2006, 10:58 AM
A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM SOUTH OF THE ALASKA PENINSULA WILL
MOVE NORTH INTO BRISTOL BAY TONIGHT AND INTO MONDAY. THIS WILL
ALLOW FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS OF 45 TO
60 MPH EARLY MONDAY MORNING WEST OF SAND POINT WITH GUSTS TO
75 MPH. THESE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON AND DIMINISH BY MONDAY EVENING TO WESTERLY WINDS AROUND

Woah CWR! Now that is some weather you have there!

Funny because where I come from (the tropics) those kinds of winds are usually associated with the words Hurricane or Tropical Storm - yikes :eek:

Stay safe and warm :)

chickwhorips
10-09-2006, 11:29 AM
this is what's left of a typoon that was over in japan. we always get their storms.

i also forgot how bad ice pellets hurt when its blowing this hard and your trying to drive the quad into the wind. OUCH! :eek:

spokewench
10-09-2006, 11:31 AM
We had a dusting of snow on the mountain - pretty benign compared to that wind!

chickwhorips
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
but flagstaff is beautiful. loved the drive up there when i lived in phoenix.

it cleared up enough to see the mountains around here and the snow line is almost all the way down the mountain. it happened in under 24 hours too.

Geonz
10-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I thought maybe you were a lot closer to me - that was my reaction when I saw the little weather icon for our Thursdya night.

Yup, it's going to be wet ... and then a cold front is coming in... so there's a chance of flurries.

Slip slidin' away....

But no 45 mile per hour wind!!! Time for shelter!!

CyclChyk
10-09-2006, 04:59 PM
So I'm guessing now is not the time you want to hear about the 85 degree weather we had today?? :D

Bikingmomof3
10-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I am so jealous. :(

pyxichick
10-09-2006, 06:53 PM
There's snow in my forecast, too, and I try not to get too obviously excited about it because people give me dirty looks when I say I want winter to come soon. :D

I know it won't stick to the ground this time of year, but I still get really really excited when I see the first snow of the season.

Kitsune06
10-09-2006, 07:05 PM
oooh first snows...
*happy shivers*
Always reminds me of hoping for at least a dusting of snow for the first days of the deer season...
Oh, Wisconsin, Why do you have to be so far away?

eclectic
10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
so if your wind comes from Japan where do our winds come from? I thought they all came from Alaska (or blame the Canadians w/ the Alberta Clippers)

I thought 40 -50 mph here on Sat was bad. A walk in the park compared to what you are getting

Alas we also have that bad s word in the forecast for Wed (it wouldn't be bad if it were December)

Well be safe and batten everything down!

annie
10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
WOW! Gusts to 75 mph??? No, thanks, keep it away! :eek: :D
Is that normal weather for you in Alaska, CWR?

We've got snow flurries in the forecast for Wed. and Thurs., too, but I will believe it when I see it. I think they (the weather gurus) enjoy over-dramatizing the forecasts. I hope so! I am NOT ready for snow yet, no way, no how!

annie

DDH
10-10-2006, 03:35 AM
I wouldn't want that wind, but it sure would be nice to see snow again. I think the last time we had a good actual snow here was back in 1985 or 83, something like that. We get ice storms sometimes, or maybe snow flurries, but nothing that the kids can actually go play in.

Lise
10-10-2006, 03:47 AM
We get beaucoup de actual snow here in Chicago, and plenty of wind, but nothing quite like Alaska with their leftover Japanese typhoons! Yikes! :eek: Batten down the hatches, CWR, and ride it out!

I saw those little snow flakes in the forecast for Thurs in Illinois. :( I'm picking up and flying to DC on Friday just to escape it. And to go to my brother's wedding. :p Winter comes plenty soon enough in Chi-town, and sticks around far too long for my taste.

Bad JuJu
10-10-2006, 04:24 AM
I'm with Cassandra--those kinds of winds around here can only mean a tropical storm is nearby, taking aim at some hapless coastal communities. And they always come with torrents of rain--though no SNOW!

Stay safe and warm!

chickwhorips
10-10-2006, 08:53 AM
yep typical weather for here. its only going to get "better" through the winter. though i do like our winter storms, but the winds do hurt after a while on the face.

last winter it took me 20 mins to get across to the quad to go home after work. between the ice on the only pavement in town and the winds that were gusting to about 80 i practically had to crawl.

gotta love it though! so happy to see snow again! and glad i'm not the only one.

the storms hit here and then travel down to the rest of you in the upper half of the lower 48 or canada. so go ahead and blame us, we just blame japan.

Tater
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I am so looking forward to the snow flying! But, like Pyxichick, I don't voice those sentiments too loud. People already think I nuts for biking in thirty-odd degree weather as it is. I can just hear it once there is snow on the ground!

pyxichick
10-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I just brought in a pile of firewood in the hopes that I'll be able to sit by the fireplace with snow falling outside soon.

Kitsune, where in WI are you from? I'm from north central WI and I go back as often as I can (usually for skiing because MN has had some crappy winters lately.)

chickwhorips
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
d@mn cheeseheads.... ;)

mtbdarby
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Come on Amber, you know you love us cheeseheads;)

We got some snow this afternoon (not it's just drizzling). Darn Japan,hahahahahaha. I was supposed to go golfing on Friday, guess I'll have to go biking instead.:p My little guy keeps asking when it's going to snow so I hope he got to see it. It sure is purdy.

chickwhorips
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Come on Amber, you know you love us cheeseheads;)

my inner cheesehead won't let go. :cool:

i love the cold crispness that's outside now. though i keep forgetting to put on my hat and gloves when i go out so i freeze and then remember once i get home that i forgot them at work.

Popoki_Nui
10-11-2006, 05:04 PM
You wouldn't think as a Canadian I'd have to hope for snow (like our image of the Great White North doesn't say it all?! :rolleyes: )...but every year my partner and I look to the skies and pray to the snow-gods to give us at least a dusting...even a centimeter or two. Even a heavy frost would be nice! Here on southern Vancouver Island and the surrounding Gulf Islands the climate is classified as Mediterranean and sub-Mediterranean. A good snowfall here is a few hours of snow on the ground, and if we've been good girls and boys all year, some snow may hang around for a day or two. Snow at Christmas? hahahaha...been about 10 years since THAT happened :(

Did I mention I love snow...? :D

CyclChyk
10-11-2006, 05:05 PM
d@mn cheeseheads.... ;)

Umm..... I don't think you were supposed to *say* that outloud.....

Go PATS :D

Kano
10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Tater -- snow flying -- we're looking forward to it too! I'm not so sure about this crazy idea of riding your bike on the snowy days though!

PyxiChick -- leaving MN to go skiing and going to Wisconsin.... We left MN a long time ago and THEN took up skiing here in Idaho: Season Passes arrived today! Here comes winter!

Karen in Boise

chickwhorips
10-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Umm..... I don't think you were supposed to *say* that outloud.....

oh but i was! though it was directed more at someone like *coughkitcough*

CyclChyk
10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Not mentioning (kit) any names huh, Chick?
;)

chickwhorips
10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
exactly! i would never say any names K. sune06 i mean kit s.

i think she's ignoring us now.

tygab
10-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Buffalo NY getting pounded. Happy Friday the 13th!

Seriously they get so much lake effect that they have my utmost respect. Snow in Massachusetts is wimpy compared to that area.

Trekhawk
10-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I love snow. Im hoping our last winter here in NorCal will be a snowy one. Are you listening weather gods - pleeeeease pretty pleeeeease.

Bikingmomof3
10-13-2006, 10:05 AM
All this talk about snow has me so envious. I come from snowy states. Moving here, I *assumed* there would be snowy winters. Nope. :( We will see a little accumulation, but mainly when it "snows" the sky basically just spits a little at my area of the state. I need snow!

chickwhorips
10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
BMof3 don't feel to left out, in the winter time we can have a HUGE storm with winds out of the north (artic air) come through that will drop a few feet of snow, but 3 days later the wind will switch out of the south (warm pacific air) and it will all melt away. :(

though last year the snow did stick around for a long time, which was nice. it looks so clean with it here. the year before it was the pattern of snow/rain/snow/rain/mud/mud/mud.

Tuckervill
10-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I think I heard that this is an El Nino year, so the weather is going to be very strange.

I could use a warm winter again.

Karen

CyclChyk
10-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey Kit! Chick isn't saying any names.... do you know who she might be referring to??? <stirringthepot> :eek:

Kitsune06
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Geez, I don't check a thread in a few days, and people are all paying attention to me and poking fun at me! Geez.

D@mn Cheeseheads, indeed.

PyxiChick, I'm from Fremont... Waupaca County (can't get much more central than that! ;)

and GEEZ, miss Chick who Rips, for an ex Wisconsinite who clings to the accent just as much as I do, you sure can talk!

:D

hsmpcycle
10-13-2006, 07:20 PM
d@mn cheeseheads.... ;)

My mother's family lives in Wisconsin. They go wayyyyy back. I spent many holidays there. The snow is just like in Eastern Idaho, abundant. I love the way y'all talk (being a native Idahoan, I picked up on the Southern drawl).

Kitsune06
10-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I love the pronunciation... HAM-mock, HAV-ock, wisCONsin, (any others I'd missed?) and the Yoopers with their inherant Swedish lilt.
"He's the Super Polock"
"Super? How?"
"His name's Skibinski- He's got a Ski at both ends!"
...sorry if you found that offensive... I am not prejudiced, just crass. :D

Funny, I always pick up on native oregonians with midwestern parents/grandparents, too... not the accent but the speech pattern. A little slower, and sometimes they say '...yah?" to confirm something, or ask "Can I come with?" missing the last pronoun. Interesting stuff. :D

chickwhorips
10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
its Da Yoopers to you missy!

is it da second week of deer camp yet?

Kitsune06
10-14-2006, 11:21 AM
EEEEE! I'd forgotten about that song until you brought it up! I LOVED IT! That and Bananas At Large...

It's the second week of deer camp
I got a swollen head
I'm lying with the dustballs
Underneath the bed
An icy breeze is blowing
Into the tongue and groove
My pants are frozen to the floor
And I'm too sick to move
I didn't drink so many
Just durty cans of beer
It musta been that last shot
That put me under here

It's the second week of deer camp
And all the guys are here
We drink play cards and shoot the bull
But never shoot no deer
The only time we leave the camp
Is when we go for beer
The second week of deer camp
Is the greatest time of year

Kitsune06
10-14-2006, 11:39 AM
well we partied all night, never made it to our bunks,
i was sittin in da tree stand on a t'ree day drunk
windmill blowin 45, temp thirty below,
i was freezin to death,
then it started to snow
so i got down from the tree stand, started headin' for the truck
and thats when i seen it 'dere,....*gulp*... the turdy point buck:eek:

chickwhorips
10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
oh cr@p! what have i started!?

Kitsune06
10-14-2006, 02:48 PM
lots of reminiscing, that's what. :p I feel a polka comin' on. ;)