PDA

View Full Version : Youghiogheny River Trail, PA

Kalidurga
10-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm heading to western MD/PA in a week to do some biking. I've ridden the Yock River Trail from Ohiopyle to Confluence (http://www.atatrail.org/maps/map6.cfm) and back, so I'm thinking of riding it west from Ohiopyle to Connellsville (http://www.atatrail.org/maps/map5.cfm) this time. Anyone know of a good spot in Connellsville for lunch? Also, the map of the trail mentions "no services" along that section. That can't possibly mean no Porta-Johns, can it?

Eden
10-07-2006, 09:35 AM
That is so cool - I grew up in Pittsurgh, but I left there almost 17 years ago! I had no idea that there was a rail trail that pretty much connects Pittsburgh to DC - and I'm thinking that 17 years ago there wasn't one. Now I want to go.....

susan.wells
10-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I did Boston (map 2) to Ohiopyle earlier this spring with a friend who lives in Hermitage, PA. When it says no services ... it means no services so make sure you're stocked up in Connellsville. There was a porta-john (or sweet smelling toliet I think they were called along the trail) in the Camp Carmel area but it was pad-locked. It was a lovely trail though and I look forward to doing it again.

Kalidurga
10-09-2006, 08:38 AM
17 miles with no place to pee but the woods? Hmmm... I have no problem dropping trou in the woods as long as I know it's totally secluded. The idea of someone pedaling along and catching a moon view, though, gives me pause.

Maybe I'll do the same stretch towards Confluence again, but continue on a bit further. Though next week's weather forecast may make all of this a moot point, anyway. :rolleyes:

Cyclesome
10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I hve ridden on both sections of this ride, Confluence to Ohiopyle and Ohiopyle to Connellsville. I love the Confluence to Ohiopyle stretch better than Ohiopyle to Connellsville. The Confluence to Ohiopyle trail runs along the river, the foilage is spectacular right now. The Ohiopyle to Coonellsville is a longer stretch but has less scenery IMO. According to the map, they both run along the river, but you can actually see more of the river on the Confluence to Ohiopyle stretch.

Another beautiful strech on this same trail is Garrett to Meyerdale. It features high Viaduct and many, many windwills on the horizon.

Kalidurga
10-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Another beautiful strech on this same trail is Garrett to Meyerdale. It features high Viaduct and many, many windwills on the horizon.

So that I know which section of the map to look at, is that east or west of Ohiopyle?

Cyclesome
10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
East of Ohiopyle / West of Confluence.
If you start at Confluence go west toward Ohiopyle.

Kalidurga
10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
East of Ohiopyle / West of Confluence.
If you start at Confluence go west toward Ohiopyle.

Heh, actually I meant Garrett to Meyersdale, but that's ok. I found that section on map 8. Maybe one day I'll do Ohiopyle to Confluence and back, and then the next day I could do Rockwood to Meyersdale (with Garrett in between). Or, I could do Frostburg to Meyersdale. That's the problem with such long trails- Too many decisions!