PDA

View Full Version : Top Mounted Brake Levers

julypace
10-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi -

How many of you use top mounted brake levers (MB brake levers mounted on the top flat section)?

If you use them, are they really useful? If so, in what circumstance (s)?

Thanks in advance!!

SadieKate
10-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Do you actually mean mtb levers for flat bars or interrupter/cross levers like those in the link? Cross levers integrated with your drop bar levers.

http://www.canecreek.com/crosstop_lvr.html

velogirl
10-06-2006, 08:37 PM
aka Chicken Levers

I raced my first 3 seasons without them. I got them this season because I've been working with a skills coach who would like to see me spend more time on the tops (rather than the hoods or the drops). So far I really like them, although I occassionally have to remind myself to ride on the tops.

My theory is that those cross racers who come from a mtb background spend a lot more time on the tops. Those who come from a road background spend more time on the hoods and drops. My coach comes from a mtb background.

I like them and they're definitely useful. I've learned to be more comfortable (and more in control) on the tops during descents. I can be more stable with my hands closer to the stem. I've only done one race with them, so I'm still deciding whether or not they'll stay for a second season.

On thing I've noticed is that my bar isn't ideal for riding on the tops. I got the Salsa Bell Lap, which is a traditional cross bar. It's curved on the transistion from the tops to the hoods, so there's not enough room for me to do my mounts or dismounts comfortably from the tops without turning my wrist in an akward position.

Kalidurga
10-07-2006, 03:21 AM
My theory is that those cross racers who come from a mtb background spend a lot more time on the tops. Those who come from a road background spend more time on the hoods and drops.

That makes a lot of sense. I find that the portion of the bar I use depends very much on the surface I'm riding. When I'm on pavement, I use the hoods and drops and only reach for the chicken levers if I have to maneuver around pedestrians or cars. When I'm off-road, though, I spend most of my time on the hoods and the flats. The drops just aren't as comfortable on a rougher surface and I feel like I have less control if I hit a tree root or go through a mud puddle.

spokewench
10-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Hi VElo girl: I've been thinking of adding the levers to my cross bike for this season - thanks for the heads up on that bars - I have those Salsa bars on my bike as well.

I'll have to take a look around to see what to do

julypace
10-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Do you actually mean mtb levers for flat bars or interrupter/cross levers like those in the link? Cross levers integrated with your drop bar levers.

http://www.canecreek.com/crosstop_lvr.html

Thanks for the link. Yes, those are what I was talking about!