PDA

View Full Version : I'm never to "tire-d" for TE

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I feel like I'm stuck in tagline world. I can't help myself after my last thread, "A Wheel Compromise"
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=10734

So, I think I will wait until spring to upgrade my wheels, though Deb's mention of being stuck if I break a spoke, has definitely got me worried. I still haven't tackled changing a flat yet (I plan on doing a practice run when I get my own cheapo wheels back - don't want to risk damaging the expensive demos. "you break, you buy"?:o )

Which brings me to the subject of tires. I would like to simply change my tires for now - go from the 25's to 23's, but have heard mixed reviews. My BF swore by the Conti-GP3000, which are near impossible to find now. It looks like they've since upped it to the GP4000 (which BF tried last year, and took 2 spills from- due to lower traction). But when I've looked up this tire online, they are using words like 'clincher' in the description. Does that mean they've made the grip better now? I also read that the GP3000 is comparable to the Michelin Pro2 Race - but that the Michelin is prone to flats.

What tires do you use on your road bikes? Also, for the record - I most likely will not be riding in wet weather (unless forced by unforseen circumstances).

Many thanks to all my wonderfully smart, beautiful, strong and curageous TE friends!!!:D

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
How about these: Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp ? Any comments?

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi Cheri :)

Practice changing flats, it is really easy ;)

For pure speed and low RR, the Michelins are hard to beat. They do have a bit of a reputation for being a touch squishy, but that's an individual thing. As for flats, well when you get into that category of tire, I don't know that you can exactly avoid it.

Clincher is just a name for a tire that has an inner tube vs. something called a tubular, which has no bead, and is essentially held to the rim by bonding/glue/sewing - they are used for racing at high levels. IOW, you want a clincher, not a tubular :D

I use kevlar tires for all my training and riding, as I am more concerned about avoiding flats than outright speed/pace. For an event, I would switch over though.

Good luck!

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Cassandra - I believe you are on the lighter side weight-wise (as am I). Is there a difference in tires with relation to lighter/heavier riders? Which model do you use?

I think I am more concerned w/ speed right now - than flats - though that could be b/c I've never suffered a flat 'knock on wood' and been stuck somewhere. I definitely plan on practicing flat changing, if I can do it on my car, I can do it on my bike. Or atleast follow the directions to the best of my ability? :o

Susie
10-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I actually use the GP-4000. I first bought them a year ago for my "old road bike" and absolutely loved them over whatever piece of crap came with the bike (not sure what). When I got my first Ruby (the now destroyed one), I used the Specialized tires that came with the bike. There was a world of difference and I absolutely hated them. My second Ruby has the GP-4000. 3 of my friends have since switched to those tires (including my LBS owner who is a former racer) and love them. I'm kind of surprised your BF had trouble with them. They have great traction and I love the feel on the road, espeially in the rain. Just don't use them on a trainer -- first time I did that the rear tire started smoking and left rubber blobs on the roller.

Susie

Artisan
10-06-2006, 07:54 AM
I also have the GP 4000s on my road bike. I've ridden in the rain a few times with them with no problems but that was during the summer months with no issues of fallen leaves and such. I do think for the winter season I may switch over to my old tires. I bought the GP 4000's for a time trial I was doing and liked them so much that I haven't taken them off since.

I saw some really good deals on e-bay for wheels when I was searching for UST's for my mtb. Maybe since you have decided to wait till spring you can keep an eye out there during the winter months and snag yourself a deal on a nice set of wheels.

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Cassandra - I believe you are on the lighter side weight-wise (as am I). Is there a difference in tires with relation to lighter/heavier riders? Which model do you use?

I think I am more concerned w/ speed right now - than flats - though that could be b/c I've never suffered a flat 'knock on wood' and been stuck somewhere. I definitely plan on practicing flat changing, if I can do it on my car, I can do it on my bike. Or atleast follow the directions to the best of my ability? :o

Cheri - I'm 72kg/1.78m FWIW. What changes with different tires to my understanding is the rolling resistance - that's a property of the tire and inherent. Weight is a whole other factor in the speed/power equation.

For 95% of my riding I now use specialized armadillo's....they are not light or plush, but very, very durable and less prone to flats. If I had an event next week though, I'd switch to the michelins and do some riding on them in advance.....this way you get familiar with the tire's performance, while getting a boost to your own thanks to the lower rolling resistance.

LOL - if you can do a flat on a car, you can do anything on a bike, I'm sure of it!

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 08:03 AM
I also have the GP 4000s on my road bike. I bought the GP 4000's for a time trial I was doing and liked them so much that I haven't taken them off since.
Maybe since you have decided to wait till spring you can keep an eye out there during the winter months and snag yourself a deal on a nice set of wheels.

Thanks Artisan - so that's 2 for the GP4000's. Would it matter that my BF had them on Bontrager wheels? probably not - I'm still learning what all these parts are called.

I will definitely be looking around for deals. BF and I are gonna have to get a trainer to stay in cycling mode during cold times.

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Just don't use them on a trainer -- first time I did that the rear tire started smoking and left rubber blobs on the roller.

Susie

Yes! You are absolutely right Susie....trainers are hard on tires. I'm getting my old and worn tires for trainer duty :D

spokewench
I've run all of the above tires, Michelins (can't remember the #); specialized pro comps (i think); continentals - not hte 3,000 number but the level below that which I think is a 2,000 number as I recollect. Sorry, I'm not a real gear head so I never remember all the model numbers. The conti tires are excellent, not as soft rubber as the Michelins that I had so they are not quite as forgiving on the road, the Specialized pro comp works great too (very comparable to the Michelins

The contis are more durable cause they are not as soft. Softer the rubber, the better traction, the faster they wear out. The softer tire will adhere to the road a little better and give a little better ride.

Smaller tire equals less rolling resistance which means that it is easier to pedal. I used to ride 19s in California - the roads were better than they are here where I live. I now run 23s. If you ride a smaller tire, it will make your bike feel stiffer. If you want a more forgiving ride, you should ride a larger tire. It is sort of a personal preference and also a balancing act between do you want comfort or less rolling resistance.

If you have trouble changing a flat, be aware, that tires act different when you are taking them off the wheel. Some are really hard to get off and some are really easy. (this varies from brand to brand) The ease of changing a tire is also affected by the size, generally, it is harder to get a smaller tire off! So if that is an issue, check them out to make sure you can get the dang thing off the rim! Take them home, learn to change your tire at home, change it 2 times in the living room. Then go ride!

Hope I didn't confuse you. If you have questions, give me a holler.

Trekhawk
Which brings me to the subject of tires. I would like to simply change my tires for now - go from the 25's to 23's, but have heard mixed reviews. My BF swore by the Conti-GP3000, which are near impossible to find now. It looks like they've since upped it to the GP4000 (which BF tried last year, and took 2 spills from- due to lower traction). But when I've looked up this tire online, they are using words like 'clincher' in the description. Does that mean they've made the grip better now? I also read that the GP3000 is comparable to the Michelin Pro2 Race - but that the Michelin is prone to flats.

What tires do you use on your road bikes? Also, for the record - I most likely will not be riding in wet weather (unless forced by unforseen circumstances).

Many thanks to all my wonderfully smart, beautiful, strong and curageous TE friends!!!:D

I have 25's on one road bike and 23's on the other. The 23's are Continental GP 4000 and I really like them. I have not used these in the rain though so cant give you any report on that. If its raining I use my bike with the 25's and if its really pouring or snowing I take my Mountain Bike.:D

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 08:05 AM
I will definitely be looking around for deals. BF and I are gonna have to get a trainer to stay in cycling mode druring cold times.

Cheri - I just got a Kurt Kinetic road machine trainer. Highly recommended, with a very useable power curve and no leaks :)

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Cass and Susie - BF thinks that the trainer shouldn't hurt the tires (normally). What is it that's causing the issue?

Also - Cass - through lots and lots of research, we are leaning towards the Kurt Kinetic trainer as well. What particular model do you recommend?

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Cass and Susie - BF thinks that the trainer shouldn't hurt the tires (normally). What is it that's causing the issue?

Also - Cass - through lots and lots of research, we are leaning towards the Kurt Kinetic trainer as well. What particular model do you recommend?

Cheri - I disagree with your BF, trainers are hard on tires. I would not use high-end tires, like those nice Michelins or Conti ones, with a trainer.

I got the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine model - it is excellent, and will serve as my indoor 'labratory' for power gains!

I purchased mine here: http://www.1upusa.com/kurtkinetictrainer.htm - it had free shipping which was a nice savings.

One thing, you may find the KK on the web, but the manufacturer will not honor the warranty on any unit sold for < $275....so beware :eek:

Mimosa
10-06-2006, 09:13 AM
The GP's are good tires.

However I remember from another forum that the brand Vittoria (http://www.vittoria.com/) have a slightly larger diameter so they are easier to get of and on the wheel and change the inner tube. This would help during your first tries at changing the (inner) tyre. Though the wheel is also a significant element in how easy you can get the tyre on and of. For instance it is said that the DT Swiss (http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bike) rims are hell to get a tyre on.

I train on Vittoria Rubino Pro tires, they are simply the best and cheap to come by (last set was about 15 dollars per tire). I haven't really had a punture with them. Only once did I have a flat but that was because I hit a sharp edge hard so the rim dug into the inner tube.

For competition I am still doubting between the Michelin (http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004114308&lang=EN) Pro2, Schwalbe (http://www.schwalbe.de/language/) Stelvio and Vittoria (http://www.vittoria.com/) Corsa CX. The michelin because I allways used to race on them, the Schwalbe because they seem to have a good rain grip and the Vittoria because I now train on that brand and am happy with them .... *sigh*, all those choices.

Oh and go for the 23C. 25 is my opinion to big and 21 to small.

And yes trainers are hell on your tyres, so either by a cheap set of tyres for the trainer or get one of those special trainers tyres.

Fredwina
10-06-2006, 09:15 AM
My experience has been that Trainers will wear tires faster.

PinkBike
10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
couple observations: my 1Up trainer killed my conti GP 3000 tires, so i put gatorskins on for training and everyday riding and put the conti's back on for racing.

changing a tire is no big deal, you can do it in a matter of minutes. really!

as for the GP 3000 and 4000, i just love them, yes - bontrager wheels, and i actually found them with a pink sidewall.

but i dont use them for everyday, for flat protection the conti gatorskins or maxxis re-fuse or specialized.

RoadRaven
10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
My experience has been that Trainers will wear tires faster.

Before we bought our spin bike, we used a trainer. We had one wheel which was used for whatever bike was put on the trainer, and it lived inside beside the trainer when no bike was on it.

It only ever had a worn out, no-ggod-for-road tyre on it... because yes, trainers do wear tyes quickly - and only in one spot. On the road, remember, tyres contact the road in different angles/places... on the trainer the wear is constant in one line...

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I am really glad that you all mentioned the trainer on tire effect. I would've had to find out the hard way (as you all have) so THANKS!!!

The cheapest I have been able to find the GP4000's are on www.biketiresdirect.com , and they will be about $89 shipping included. Is that about right? They seem to be cheaper there than on performancebike.com or anywhere else, but maybe there is a better place to look?

Wish they were free. :(

SR500
10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
For a silky smooth ride on a road tire Vittoria EVO Open Corsa CX's are about the best around. The Michelin Pro Race 2 is likely the best all around tire for ride, wear, etc... but Vittoria's have a smoother feel. About the best place to buy tires, Conti's included is www.probikekit.com, great prices and free shipping to the states, often faster shipping then Nashbar or Performance. My husband has ordered multiple times and never had any problems.

SouthernBelle
10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm eagerly reading this as Cher and I have the same wheels and similar bikes.

I also have a trainer question. Does this contribute to wear on your components as well? Even though you aren't on the road, you are still turning, shifting etc. :confused:

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I also have a trainer question. Does this contribute to wear on your components as well? Even though you aren't on the road, you are still turning, shifting etc. :confused:

turning? where ya going?

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 12:27 PM
turning? where ya going?

LOL :D

BTW, Cheri, performance has 20% off today on everything.

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks Cass - I saw that Performance sale. I am excited that when I move to Denver that there will be a Performance Store nearby. I so much like seeing things in person rather than being restricted to online.

How far is Denver from Alberquerque (that's a really hard place to spell)?

Doh!! : Al-bu-quer-que...there.

SouthernBelle
10-06-2006, 12:40 PM
turning? where ya going?

to h811 and back. :cool:

cherinyc
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
to h811 and back. :cool:

that'll be a loooooooong ride on a trainer. hee hee....;)

Bikingmomof3
10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
BF thinks that the trainer shouldn't hurt the tires (normally). What is it that's causing the issue?

Cheri,
Trainers are very hard on tires. Do not use your new ones. Save your old ones for the trainer.

Cassandra_Cain
10-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks Cass - I saw that Performance sale. I am excited that when I move to Denver that there will be a Performance Store nearby. I so much like seeing things in person rather than being restricted to online.

How far is Denver from Alberquerque (that's a really hard place to spell)?

Doh!! : Al-bu-quer-que...there.

That is exciting - denver is a really neat place! :D

I agree about seeing things in person, it always helps.

Denver to ABQ is a straight shot on i-25, about 430 miles or so = 6.5 hours of driving. The speed limit is 70 or more virtually the entire way. I've done it a few times on weekends before.

SouthernBelle
10-06-2006, 04:59 PM
But it will take a little longer by bike.

Cassandra_Cain
10-07-2006, 06:08 AM
But it will take a little longer by bike.

LOL - just a wee bit :D