PDA

View Full Version : There's a hole in my skin

HipGnosis6
10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
No really, there's a hole in my skin. It's about an inch wide and half an inch tall and probably a quarter inch deep. It's right along the line where the bumper of the car struck me in my accident in August. I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as MRSA, the milder of two forms of super-drug resistant bacteria that can eat away your flesh. It's caused by staph, a common infection that's frequently picked up at hospitals. (The other causes necrotizing fasciitis, which is like my little skin ulcer times 1000 and is caused by strep, the same little bug that gives you those nasty sore throats).

I was given an injection of some very potent antibiotic as well as an oral prescription, and I have a followup on Monday. And probably another two weeks after that. If the antibiotics don't work, then I don't know what's next. I'll ask the nice doctor lady, but I think I'd rather have faith that the medications will be effective.

Raindrop
10-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow! That's really scary. I hope the antibiotics work for you as well. Did you have other symptoms other than the hole? And did the hole start as a small injury that kept enlarging?

I know...too many questions, but I had a former co-worker whose husband died from the flesh-eating bacterium thing and for him it progressed extremely fast and within a week he was gone.

Again...very sad. :(

Keep positive and again, I hope for a speedy recovery for you.

KnottedYet
10-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Don't worry, Hip, that won't happen to you!

Did the clinic give you any wound care instructions? Do exactly what they said, and call them instantly if anything looks icky.

Xrayted
10-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear about that Hip. Unfortunately, MRSA is more common these days mostly b/c the bacteria are getting used to the antibiotics over the years. Like KY said, do exactly what they tell you to do. No cheating or quitting meds early because "it looks better". It can get serious if you do. Be a good patient and I'm sure everything will turn out ok. Healing wishes being sent your way. :) :)

Now get out there on that bike! :D

cindy

CyclChyk
10-05-2006, 07:59 PM
OMG! Thats aweful! I feel so bad for you. Will they be able to treat it to kill the bacteria, or treat it to a managable level and it will stay with you the rest of your life???

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

DDH
10-06-2006, 04:16 AM
You be careful with that and make sure to follow up if your antibiotics don't work. That could be really dangerous if it got out of hand.
Keep us updated.

esther231
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

LBTC
10-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, Hip? How is the healing coming along? Are the drugs working? Are you feeling good otherwise? Does it hurt?

I hope you're doing well, healing fast and still having fun!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Bikingmomof3
10-15-2006, 10:28 AM
How dreadful! I just watched an episode on PBS that was devoted to MRSA. Take it easy, do what the doctors tell you, do not push yourself. I shall be keeping you in my prayers. Please keep us updated.