PDA

View Full Version : book i just read; Bold Spirit

mimitabby
10-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Bold Spirit; Helga Estby's forgotten walk... by Linda Lawrence Hunt

This is the true story about a woman who walked across the USA in 1893. Her husband was unable to work, and she had 8 kids to support and she was afraid that her home would be foreclosed on because they had no money. Someone offered her 10,000 dollars to walk across the US from Spokane, WA where she lived to New York City. She and her oldest daughter did it.
One of the things they did as part of the deal was to wear a Biking skirt. It actually showed the tops of their shoes! These dresses were considered outrageous and immodest, but considering they walked through mud, snow and floods they had to be better than the dresses they had worn before, that swept the ground!

In the story it is told that a group called the rescue league of washington was formed to keep women from becoming immodest. The bicycle was called "the devil's agent" and it was considered improper for women to exert themselves or sweat!

it's a good story, although it's sad

kelownagirl
10-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Sounds like a good one Mimi, thanks for the recommendation! I'm always looking for something good to read.

CyclChyk
10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
sad that I will need tissue?? I cry at commercials.

But you got my curiousity piqued. I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

mimitabby
10-06-2006, 06:10 AM
it didn't make me cry, but you know, back then life was pretty hard.
It was great reading about her actually shooting guys who were harassing her.
and the book is beautifully done with a lot of photos and half tones.
so you get to see the "bike skirt" what a joke.

oxysback
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
This sounds like a promising read. I'm always looking for good books when my turn comes around to host our book club. I'm not due until Oct. 2007, so I have plenty of time to find something.

Thanks for the recommendation!