PDA

View Full Version : Rainy day fixes....

Tina
10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
So, after a year and a half of physical therapy and slowwwly getting myself somewhat back together, I'm finding my body is allowing me to take little runs again. OK, more like run/walk/run for now, but I'll take it! This morning it really hit me - I want to run as much as I want to bike (I never imagined that could happen). Thing is, can't hit the singletrack when it's raining and I guess I could ride the streets but between biking and running, it seems running would be less of a hassle and probably safer. What do you all do? Do you just say screw it, head outdoors and stomp in every puddle you possibly can or will you suck it up, stay inside and take a day (or three) off or find alternate indoor ways to work out? Will my shoes hate me for running in the rain with them or will they just shrug it off? I only have one good pair. Thanks for listening :)

Lise
10-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi, Tina, and welcome! I've run in the rain, especially when it's not raining too hard. The shoes don't seem to care. I warm up so much when I'm running that sometimes a light rain is a cooling relief. When it's pouring, or there's lightning, I stay inside.

Shape magazine has at home workout routines almost every month. I like one I found in the September issue--you might be able to find it in a library, or online. Or just look in the magazine when you see it in the stores every month, and get it if you like it. The one I found is called the 20 min workout solution. Nothing fancy, but it does get the HR up and work most of my muscles. That's what I do when the weather's too lousy to go out, and I don't want to go to the Y. I should do the workout every week, anyway! www.shape.com

Tri Girl
10-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I LOVE to run in the rain! It only rained once this summer, and when it did, I put on my running shoes and played like a little kid. Sure, my feet were wrinkly and I got a blister, but it was the most fun I've had all summer long.
I don't, however, like to run when it's cool or cold. That's no fun at all.
If you want to run, do it no matter what the weather. If it's hot, cut it short, if it's cold, make it longer- if it rains, just have some fun!!!

tattiefritter
10-06-2006, 02:17 AM
This may have an obvious answer but why can't you ride the singletrack in the rain ? Does it turn into wheel sucking bog ?

I mtb all the time in the rain (in the UK you have no choice) though a lot of the stuff I ride is rocky wet rooty singletrack is quite fun as you have very little control over the bike :D I don't like being on my road bike in really wet weather though, I likes my disk brakes!

I run in the rain too (again got no choice), I was out yesterday lunchtime in the pouring rain and howling wind. It was hard work, bloody freezing until I warmed up and was then too hot, I was soaked to the skin in about 5 minutes but skin is waterproof, I loved it (mostly) and could sit all afternoon smugly polishing my halo. I did do a shorter run than was planned as it was extremely windy and the rain was horizontal at times, if it had been less windy I would have probably been out for longer.

Shoes will be fine, I stuffed mine with newspaper and put them near a radiator, they were dry this morning. Only thing I would make sure about is if its cold and you get a drenching make sure you get out of your wet kit and into a warm shower PDQ when you finish, I faffed around stretching yesterday and got quite cold as works shower rooms have no heating - feeling a bit sniffly today.

Tina
10-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the replies! I wondered if it was just me having silly thoughts or if others actually choose to play in the rain. (it's not as if I'm training for an even yet and HAVE to get out there.) I wussed out this morning though and went to the gym. It was dark, cold, much too windy and pretty hard rain. Nasty.
Maybe it's just where I live, but I think one would garner a few discouraging looks from fellow MTBers if caught riding a muddy trail, for fear of doing any damage or contributing to further erosion. Around here it is really promoted that we should wait to ride for 24 hours after every inch of rain, but it all depends on the trail I guess. Otherwise, I'd be out slingin' mud like nobody's business! (but those wet roots get me almost every time!) :rolleyes:

tattiefritter
10-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Tina, I did wonder if it was something to do with erosion. The trails I usually ride are rocky/gritty usually so don't really suffer from erosion problems, though there are some trails that its not worth riding in the winter unless they're frozen. If we waited 24 hours between every drop of rain before we rode/walked trails we'd never do anything in the UK :D Though I realise attitudes/conditions are different elsewhere.

I almost wimped out myself yesterday but forced myself out there by saying to myself that the weathers going to get colder/wetter for a while and if I wuss out now then I'll never get anything done. As usual it was fine once I got warmed up.

Tina
10-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I've GOT to go educate myself on and go shopping for some proper clothing this weekend, or I'm going to be a nutcase in a few weeks when it REALLY gets chilly. I'm resolved to get myself outside as many days as possible, unless it's dangerously cold. I hate cold. But I've seen people kicking it out there in the snow, so I know it can be done. Man, I have alot of learning to do!