PDA

View Full Version : Calling all southerners with IM dreams...

Running Mommy
10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
It looks like IMKY is the newest kid on the block...

Louisville To Host Newest Ironman Event

Ford Ironman Louisville scheduled for August 26, 2007

Published on Wednesday, Oct 4, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

Today, Ironman and the Greater Louisville Sports Commission areproud to announce an addition to the global Ironman event series in2007, Ford Ironman Louisville. The five-year agreement for Ford IronmanLouisville will enhance an already substantial list of Ironman events,with more than 12 events nationwide. The inaugural Ford IronmanLouisville is scheduled for August 26 and will serve as a qualifier forthe 2007 Ford Ironman World Championship taking place on October 13 inKailua-Kona, Hawaii.

"This is one of the biggest amateur sporting events that has ever beento Louisville and the state," says Jeff Schneider, Interim ExecutiveDirector of the Greater Louisville Sports Commission. "The city andstate will embrace Ironman and we look forward to combining theathletes passion for Ironman with Louisvilles ongoing enthusiasm andsupport for sports."

Ironman consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run.Athletes must complete the three disciplines in succession within the17-hour time frame. The 2.4 mile swim for Ford Ironman Louisville willtake place in the Ohio River and the bike and run course will takeathletes throughout various areas of Louisville to include not onlydowntown but also Prospect, Clifton, the city of LaGrange, Clarksville,Ind. and Butchertown.

Louisvillehas all of the key elements that an Ironman venue demands: scenic,rolling hills, community support and several beautiful parks. It alsohas another element that will make this event one of Ironmans mostpopular destinations, Louisville hospitality, comments President andCEO of Ironman, Ben Fertic.

Athletes can register for theevent beginning on October 21 at 3 p.m. EST by visitingwww.ironman.com. The 2007 event will reach capacity at 2,100 athletesand includes a $50,000 professional prize purse. For event-relatedquestions, contact the Event Director, Steve Meckfessel via email atsteve@ironman.com.

The Greater Louisville Sports Commission(GLSC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing the bestsporting events possible to the city. Created in 1999, the GLSC hasplayed host to or are preparing to host international and nationalevents, including: 2008 Ryder Cup, 2007 National Senior Games, 2006 DewAction Sports Tour, PGA Championship, the Kentucky Derby (the longestcontinuous sporting event in the history of the United States), U.S.Figure Skating and many more. Because of Louisville's geographicallocation, southern hospitality and interest in all sporting events, thecity has thrived. Muhammad Ali, the only three-time heavyweightchampion of the world, hails from Louisville as do former athletes suchas Pee Wee Reese, Mary T. Meagher, Phil Simms, Paul Hornung, Pat Day,Darrell Griffith, Wes Unseld, Allan Houston, Ralph Beard and others.

Lise
10-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow. Louisville in August. That sounds hot!

Wonderful, though, to have another IM venue in the middle of the country. Isn't it amazing that so many people want to do the IM distance?

skibum
10-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Not just hot, humid too! It's a beautiful area and will be a great event. But it definitely will have some challenges.

mommelisa
10-05-2006, 08:36 AM
It looks like IMKY is the newest kid on the block...

So... does this mean you're planning your next one???

Tri Girl
10-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Our Tri club is all excited about this race. It's the closest M-Dot race to us, and although it's hot and humid, it won't be a lot different than our own weather. Sounds like fun, but my heart's still set on IMAZ '08. If I'm gonna do another one, I might as well go "home" for it. I just hate having to sign up a year in advance and pay the ridiculous entry fee for an M-Dot race. I may reconsider KY tho!
You goin' Denise??? :)

makbike
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Welcome to my neck of the woods. Yes, it will be hot and humid, very humid I might add. In all honesty I can't image swimming in the Ohio River but I know lots of people do so I guess it is safe. The bike ride should have lots of hills (I'm not sure where they are taking you but it is a given you will face some nice climbs). If the bike ride takes you out towards LaGrange and Prospect know the climbs will be very challenging but you also have a nice mix of flats and rollers to balance your ride. The eastern regions of the Metro Louisville area are very beautiful and filled with great roads to see from atop a bicycle. Regardless of where your routes take you know the people of Louisville and the surrounding communities will welcome you will open arms for this is a great place to live. I can't image living anywhere else these days. So welcome in advance and please those of you who decide to attend feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Louisville.

Marcie