PDA

View Full Version : Need motivation girls

btchance
10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I still want to do the half marathon in November, but I seem to be lacking the motivation to do it. I have gone up to 9miles so far, so I'm completely on schedule, but just can't convince myself to go out and do the runs right now. This happened a couple of months ago when I was wanting to do the full. I got to 9miles, then started making excuses, most of which were real.

Most of you know I am in medical school, so time is definately a factor here, and both times I have lost motivation is in the last weeks of a rotation, just before the shelf exam. It's not that I don't have the time to do the training, I just feel tired, guilty about studying, and don't want to do it. I'm getting enough sleep, still want to go out on my bike (part of the reason why I didn't run this weekend), so I just don't know what's going on.

Part of the problem, I think, is that I don't know if I'll actually be able to do the race (1/2 or if I had kept with it, the full). I'll be on a q4 call schedule (call every 4th night), and won't know until the week before if I'll be on call, or post call (ie, 50% chance of not being able to do it).

Sorry about this, I just had to get it off my chest. I'm just upset with myself anytime I give up on something, especially when it's something I find difficult, but know that if I work at it I can get through it.

Thanks for listening!

Nanci
10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
If you're doing nine miles now, you have the base for the half. Just maintain!! See what happens. MWBR!

Tri Girl
10-02-2006, 06:46 PM
I agree with Nanci. 9 miles is only 4 off a half, and if you can do 9 now, then you won't need to worry about going the extra 4. Give yourself a break- you've got A LOT on your plate right now, and sometimes it's hard to find the motivation to do things you like when you're bogged down. And I hear ya- I'd much rather ride than run. Could you run only 2-3 days per week (one long run, one short run, and then maybe a run w/hills or speedwork for the third)? That way you'd still be maintaining the endurance, but not running ALL the time. In my opinion (and that of others as well) the long run is the most important.
Don't give up on yourself! I know you can do this half mare easily, and you'll do fine if you can maintain the base you have now. :)

Beverly Fay
10-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Perhaps this is a race where you need to take a "what the heck" attitude, turn up on the day, carry on for as long as you feel comfortable, and then stop.

It's no disgrace not to finish -- I've often done longer races as training races or when I wasn't feeling all that great where I had no intention of finishing, and other than not getting the tee-shirt or the medal, you don't lose out on anything. You can still go to the pasta party the night before and enjoy the buzz!

It may even be that allowing yourself to go in there with the promise to yourself that you can stop whenever you feel like it will relax you to the point of carrying on to the end.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Beverly

rocknrollgirl
10-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Do you get a T-shirt? That is always our fall back around here if race day is looming and motivation is hard to find. Go have fun, get a T-shirt, maybe some swag in a goodie bag, meet some nice runner type people...

Do the half...
I always look at this way, even if I go and suck it up, at least I am not at home on the coach like most of the country, or shopping for shoes like most of the women I know....

Ruth

btchance
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm probably going to keep working at it, try to get a couple more long runs in and just play it by ear. Maybe the duathlon will help this weekend. Oh, and I did a short run today and enjoyed it again. Last weekend was probably just the pressure of the presentation, being exhausted from call, and knowing that I need to recover for this weekend.

Thanks girls!

Lise
10-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Believe me, bt, I know about being exausted from call and conflicted about going running, or just too tired to even think about it. Sounds like your spirits are up a bit. I know you're in no position to determine your own schedule, but perhaps you could make some switches with another student if you need to. If it comforts you at all, last year I decided to do the marathon a bit late in the season. I completely spaced on putting in a request for days off before or after. As a consequence, I worked two days and three night shifts the week before the race. One of the docs I worked with was appalled to see me on the unit late at night again that week. "Aren't you running a marathon on Sunday? You should be in bed!" Problem was, everybody who could switch with me had requested those days off for various reasons. So I did the work, and ran the marathon.

The day of the race, I had plenty of energy. The excitement and power of the crowd really infused me. My words of wisdom to you are: Nourish yourself very, very well for the next month. You don't have much control over your hours or your tests or anything else, but you can control how you eat. I believe that makes a big difference. And come back here any time for encouragement! :D

MomOnBike
10-05-2006, 01:11 PM
One other thought, bt, beating up on yourself takes a lot of energy that could be used for more productive things.

You have a lot on your plate, don't add to it with guilt.

btchance
10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Lise, I wish I could request those days off, but I've already requested Thanksgiving weekend, and you only get 1, maybe 2 weekends off a month. Going home that weekend is much more important to me than the 1/2 mary since I haven't seen my family since my step-mom died in February, and since then my Dad has had a lot of health problems and my grandma died. So obviously, family is much more important. And unfortunately, the way the call schedule works is that you either have Friday Sunday call with rounding around 8am Saturday, or Saturday call beginning at 8am. I'll just have to play it by ear and hope for Thursday call.

As far as the race goes, I'm just going to wait until the week before and see how I feel. If I'm ready for it, then I'll just sign up then (luckily the fee is very cheap). If not, then I'll just not do it.

My main motivation for this was to improve my running for tris next year. If I never get past this point, it's still done it's job. I know I have the ability to do the long runs, longer than the Olympic distance, so when the time comes, mentally and physically I'll be more prepared. And with these longer distances I have noticed I'm getting faster, which is all I can ask for.

MomOnBike, don't worry, if this starts to interfere with school, I'm not going to do it. Right now that's the most important thing, and running, biking, and tris are all supossed to be my escape from the stresses of medicine. It works great, I just have to keep my competitive side squashed a little, and remember it took years and years for me to get to the level I was at with the horses, and that this is the same way. I skipped very important shows back then to study, and I will do the same now. I just get that doubt in my head when people comment on how they don't understand my ability to do both. But then, most of them come home and watch a couple of hours of tv a night. I tried to get some friends to do this duathlon with me this weekend, but they haven't started studying for the mini-boards in 2 weeks, so they're craming this weekend. I've already finished one review book, and am 1/2 way through another, so taking a few hours off that one morning won't affect my grades in any way. I just get the negative comments about it, that I'm not dedicating enough time to my studies, when I know I am, and that gets to me sometimes.

Whew, I went off on another rant, sorry girls!

Lise
10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Balance is elusive, bt, but it sounds like you're doing well with the studying, and some athletics may keep your mind and body fresher. Hang in there, and rant any time you want on here! L.

chickwhorips
10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
hang in there chica. do what you feel your body can take (half or whole). i say do the half for sure. your trained to do it and you'll have fun doing it. though if it comes down to that day where you do have to work, then so be it. i don't think you should give up now though. your doing a good thing for yourself by being out there. keep up the good work!!!!