PDA

View Full Version : Fish

sandy45
10-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Ok so i had tilapia for dinner last night...the only way i have made it was breading and frying, and i dont want to do that. so i asked the fish guy and he said marinaide it with italian dressing for an hour and then sautee it. so i did that with just some pam cooking spray...it was awesome! i did the no fat or low fat...dont remember. but it was great. with some peas and rice...mmmm....just had the leftovers for lunch...and they were great too!

Sandy

snapdragen
10-02-2006, 08:50 AM
One of my favorite "discoveries" is Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic. I sprinkle it on the fish, and grill it. Then I make a corn salsa sort of thing, copied from Applebee's, using Green Giant Mexican corn, and blackbeans. Put that on top of the cooked tilapia.

emily_in_nc
10-02-2006, 11:12 AM
I made up a tilapia recipe yesterday that was amazing (to me) and as simple as pie (well, a lot simpler than pie, actually!)

A small glug of olive oil in a pan, heated to med-high. Drop a tilipia fillet on it (sizzle). Sprinkle top side with salt, pepper, cayenne to taste, paprika, and celery seed. Let it cook awhile on the first side, then flip and add the same spices to the other side (I skipped the cayenne on the second side). Depending on thickness, you might want to flip it back one more time for a little more "blackening" on the first side again. I wish I could say exactly how long I cooked it, but I didn't let it dry out; it was still very moist, but cooked through.

Major yum!!!! The spices and kick of heat were just perfect together on this delicate, sweet fish. As good as fish I've had in a restaurant for $14.95+, if I do say so myself. And the tilapia was on sale for only $2.99/lb, so qiute a deal too. :)

I don't cook very often (DH is retired so does most of that - lucky me!), but I was proud of this simple dish.

Emily

CyclChyk
10-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Emily - thats pretty much what we do. We eat talapia at least 3 nights a week. I drop some olive oil in a pan, drop in the fish, sprinkle it with Creole cajun seasoning, wflip it a couple times til its white and flacky and eat.

Its soooooo good!!! This works great for shrimp, scallops, even chicken.

Alot of times with the chicken breast, I will cut up zuchinni, squash, onion, and bell pepper and saute them in one pan, cut up the chicken breast in another pan (see above), then mix the two. Throw in some light soy sauce, or better yet, terayki sauce, and serve with rice.

YUM!

7rider
10-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Try doing that with a flounder (my favorite is grey sole), too.
Dredged in flour, and pan fried. Major Yummmm....

love2bike
10-04-2006, 05:34 AM
We always marinate tilapia in Emeril's Hickory Maple Chipolte marinate and grill it. We usually make a bunch of it, so that we can use it for fish tacos the next day.

latelatebloomer
10-05-2006, 03:05 AM
mmmm, fish tacos.

Sometimes to get a little of that "fried" feeling, I sprinkle tilapia with cornmeal, cracked red pepper and salt, and broil. Crunchy & spicy and not so decadent. But every once in a while, fish deserves to be fried.

SheFly
10-09-2006, 06:23 AM
We like it on the grill - marinated in Lawry's Tequila Lime and sprinkled with cococut for some crispiness.

SheFly

Reesha
06-08-2009, 09:32 AM
This is a mega-bump, but I wanted to talk about fish with the masses!

The only fish I've been feeling like toiling with lately has been Norwegian Salmon. It's farmed sadly, but the fish monger says it actually has higher omega-3 fatty acids. I like to cook it skin side down in the pan in a little olive oil and then flip it and crispen up the meat side. It's absolutely divine with my favorite watermelon-basil-feta salad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/femmeke830/IMG_4027.jpg

I'm a little sad that fish is so much more expensive since I've moved to the midwest, but I suppose sensibly so. I should really try to get on the catfish bandwagon, but I don't know what to do with it! Any suggestions?

Cataboo
06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I do similar with salmon - cook it with lemon & olive oil, about 6 mins per side.

Then I made a pineapple/mango/ginger salsa for it.

Catfish is something I usually caramelize:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Vietnamese-Fish-Simmered-in-Caramel-Sauce-Ca-Kho-To-56112

Reesha
06-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Bookmarked!!! :eek:

I wonder if I could substitute agave syrup for the sugar. Looks delicious though!

Reesha
06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
I made it for lunch :D

It was delicious-- however, I think I don't like the catfish. I think it's too freshwatery for me. I think tilapia, another freshwater fish tastes literally like dirt and to me that's the freshwatery taste.

spokewench
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I often cook tilapia with paprika/chile powder/salt and pepper seasoning sauteed in olive oil. I also think the little hot spice is great with this fish.

Then I make a salsa, with poblana pepper, tomatoes, corn, sweet onion to put over the fish. yum

Jolt
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I made it for lunch :D

It was delicious-- however, I think I don't like the catfish. I think it's too freshwatery for me. I think tilapia, another freshwater fish tastes literally like dirt and to me that's the freshwatery taste.

Catfish does sort of taste like mud IMO--I've had it a couple of times and wasn't thrilled with it for that reason. I don't think all freshwater fish are like that though.

smilingcat
06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
hmm maybe it wasn't prepared right. Channel cat fish needs to be "cleaned up" first. catch'em and let them swim in clean water for few days to remove that mud smell and taste.

Fried catfish, hush puppies, succotash and pecan pie. yummo. And no mason jar for drinks.

Reesha
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
well, i did have some delicious blackened catfish in louisiana when I was down there last. didn't taste like dirt :o

tilapia has that same taste though to me. i don't know what it is... the taste of a bottom feeder?

Grog
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
No recipes, but some info about fish:

For those who may be curious about the provenance and sustainability of the food they eat, a little detour by the Monterey Bay Aquarium's web site might be of interest: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx Check out their links to "Learn about the Issues" and "See what you can do." There is also info about specific species.

For those in Canada, OceanWise works along the same lines: http://www.vanaqua.org/oceanwise/news.html

Sad as it is, I now keep my consumption of fish in check. The super-low salmon runs in the PNW this year have got me really worried and I'll leave my portion to the bald eagles who are not too good at cooking chick peas. We do have salmon for extra-special meals, though. :(

This article was published in the Can. Med. ***. J. recently and I thought it was quite interesting, too: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090317142843.htm According to them the evidence supporting fish's health benefits is not very strong, in part because other variables were not controled too well. (Ex: People who happen to eat more fish may have a healthier diet over all.) I LOVE fish and find it delicious, but the state of fisheries has got me extremely concerned...

shootingstar
06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I have not bought any fresh tilapia, red snapper, etc. for home cooking. Not sure why. When I did see the rare fresh catch of freshwater pickerel, whitefish at the market, I did buy 1 since it's been several YEARS I've had one of those fish. Those fish are more common in Central Canada (probably northern central U.S.).

The salmon runs have been noticeably low this year. It is reflected in the still high pricing of fresh salmon at the fish mongers in the Greater Vancouver area when right now the pricing should be lower if there was a healthy run of salmon. Wonder what Seattle is witnessing right now.

Federal Canadian Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) is trying to figure out why (as they have been for past few years) since it is this govn't authority that has the legal right to impose limits on river/ocean activities that can threaten salmon sustanability. There was a recent article in the press a month ago, that the silt dredging from the Fraser River might be one particular cause, a major river which all of the Pacific salmon enter in to lay eggs upstream in the river beds and in the secondary rivers/streams..

DFO does impose real limits on construction /industrial activities by rivers where there are the salmon runs at certain times of the year. Int he environmental protection world it is called the "fish window", for that time period. I worked for nearly 3 years at a construction site near the mouth of the Fraser River/Pacific Ocean where traditionally over 1 million salmon swim inland.

But still, the sea/marine ecosystem is a fragile thing where 1 event can spin-off effects for many years thereafter.

Best to eat salmon....reverentially and not waste the fish that you have on hand.

Grog
06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Best to eat salmon....reverentially and not waste the fish that you have on hand.

Actually that's how I try to eat all food. :) But I do think about it more for fish and meat. Thanksgiving is every day.

(Connected to the veggies gardening thread: I had to thin my beets seedlings the other day. I pulled out the 3 or 4 tiny little beets, feeling truly awful, and made a tiny but enjoyable snack of the leaves.)

indysteel
06-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the inspiration, ladies. I bought some tilapia fillets for the first time. Sprinkled them with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Fried them in a little olive oil and served then with a black bean, corn, tomatoe and red onion salsa, and drizzled with lime juice. I really liked them!

Grog
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
served then with a black bean, corn, tomatoe and red onion salsa, and drizzled with lime juice. I really liked them!

That sounds yummy, I think that'll be a part of my dinner tomorrow.

Love the lime juice in the salsa.

jesvetmed
06-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I've never been brave enough to try tilapia. You all may have talked me into it. i'm spoiled here in the Pacific NW -- fresh line caught halibut and king salmon are always in the stores (ok.. not always, but close). spendy though. And I notice tilapia is not nearly as expensive.

Anyone know anything about the nutrition comparison between salmon or halibut and tilapia?