PDA

View Full Version : numb hands

Jen
10-02-2006, 04:26 AM
What causes that? I am ok starting out but at the end, my hands are numb. Would the extra gel under the handlebar tape help? Are my handle bars places wrong? Seat hurt too. Maybe it was my shorts instead of the seat. The seat is a Bo..... something that came with an expensive womens specific trek.

CyclChyk
10-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Boy oh boy - numb hands. Story of my life.

There are a number of things that can cause it. Seat placement, handlebar placement; alot of it is your weight is being supported by your wrists/hands instead of being distributed to areas that would aleviate your pain. Seat placement/handlebar placement will fix this or make it worse.

You really need to get a professional bike fit. And I don't mean one where they plug your numbers into a machine and the machine calculates what is supposed to work best. That's what they did on my first "fitting" and it was aweful!! Nothing felt good on that fit. Did the bike shop where you got the bike fit you??

As far as the saddle goes, BO I'm guessing is a Bontrager? They have a bad reputation for everything I've read. "Bone Crusher" comes to mind. Most people go thru 3 or more saddles before finding the one that works for them. 4 was my magic number.

Sorry I could not be of more help. Good luck.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-02-2006, 05:24 AM
Numb hands- I got them when my handlebars were too far away and my weight was falling too much onto my hands to hold myself up. Got a shorter stem which pulled my bars closer, now I don't get numb hands.
Saddles: Read the abundant threads on favorite and most-hated saddles.

Jen
10-03-2006, 04:12 AM
I got the bike used. The woman I got it from told me to get a fit. Guess I have to break down and do it. I readjusted the handlbars so that may be what caused it. Hey, cycle chick, you dog looks just like my dog. Rat Terrier. I love love love him. I hear bike seat hunts can be long and treacherous.

Melstar
10-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Yea i had the problem with numb hands initially. It turned out that it was cuz of my bike fit. Off the shelf i had bought a bike that was on paper for a 5`10 person, but the top distance was too far or something, so they had to readjust (*the stem length?). So i was riding around in a very stretched out position and had the whole aching numb hands thing going on.

So yea i think if you bought the bike stock, these generic sizings might not be too accurate.

CyclChyk
10-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Jen - I changed my avitar but the rat is "Zoe". She's my baby girl and rules the roost, including my 70lb boxer. She is an awesome dog.

The saddle hunt will be long and treacherous, just as you think And at times, painful. But at least try to find solace in knowing that you are not alone and that one day (however long it takes) you too will find the perfect saddle.

I and my bum are so glad I finally found mine. :)

Eden
10-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Sometimes the cure for numb hands counter intiutive too. My hands go numb if I wear fancy padded/gel type gloves. It seems like the more ergonomic they try to make the pads the worse my hands take them. I do better with thinner gloves and I have to make sure that I don't make the strap across the back too tight. I usually have to loosen it part of the way into my rides, especially if it is warm out.