PDA

View Full Version : Age/Style Question

pooks
09-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Just curious -- a catalog I really like is:

http://www.territoryahead.com/

I've ordered a few things from it and have always had people compliment them, which is rare for me because I am not much about style or fashion.

I didn't notice until today that the catalog has no models. And then I realized that I'm not sure what demographic it's aimed at, age-wise. It's not that I care -- I know I like it and that's all that counts.

But I thought I'd ask here to get a feel for what age person it appeals to or is aimed at, because now I'm totally curious.

Check it out -- do you like the clothes or not? And are you 20s, 30s, 40s, or higher?

I know it's an odd question, but I guess it's also a slow Saturday night!

SadieKate
09-30-2006, 07:23 PM
I love the stuff in Territory Ahead. I'd go broke if I allowed myself to order from it much. Bubba buys sweaters from it for me (he's such a sweetie. :D )

Oh yeah, older 40s.

Kitsune06
09-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Okay, I'm going to date myself, but as a 20 something, I'm saying I'd leave these clothes more to work-casual etc, and would suspect they're for a slightly older age group (then again, I have weird taste in dressing...)

pooks
09-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I wondered about that, since I'm (hate this word) middle-aged, I wondered if I was the typical demographic.

esther231
09-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I order from them too. I like their shirts and sweaters.

J Jill is my favorite though. I love J Jill.

I'm 54.

KnottedYet
09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
I like Territory Ahead. Can't afford their stuff, though.

Almost 40.

margo49
09-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Okay, I'm going to date myself, but as a 20 something,

Well done, Pooks-ie
I bet Kitsune thought she was safe from us detectives over here!

Nice catalogue btw

Kitsune06
09-30-2006, 09:21 PM
ARGH! Margo! You got me!

...maybe you're half right and I'm here from the '60s but only via reincarnation?

pooks
09-30-2006, 09:28 PM
LOL! I didn't realize she was keeping it a secret!

Well, I'm sitting here sighing and thinking, man, I really AM getting old because I'm thinking the cutest clothes I've seen in a long time are in a middle-aged catalog. (I guess my tastes are finally catching up with my age -- late 40s.) (And I guess I just dated myself by saying "man" instead of "dude.")

Kitsune06
09-30-2006, 09:43 PM
:eek: And here I thought 'man' was generally used instead of 'dude'.

pooks
09-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Okay, now it's getting worse. I thought my gen said "man" and the next said "dude" and have we already progressed to another that has returned to "man" again? LOL

Kitsune06
09-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Actually, I've noticed that style has a 30 year stutter. The '60s were surprisingly popular in the '90s (at least to us grunge rock fans, folks in the group I hung out with, etc) and now we have the Emo crowd, wearing clothes that were pretty popular (popular as in prevalent, not necessarily 'cool')in the 70s and early 80s. Anyone else notice this?

Tasteless Emo joke below... don't read it unless you'd get it...

"I wish my grass was Emo so it'd cut itself." See? Totally tasteless.

pooks
09-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I love Emo.

And the 60s were worth repeating. God forgive whoever designed the 70s, and curse whoever thought they were worth copying.

Kitsune06
09-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I think the '80s are far less forgiveable, with the neon pinks and greens that would make a RAVER's eyes bleed. Perms, rhinestone-studded denim jackets and that many sequins should be illegal. Straight-legged, high, high, high-waisted jeans with the bottoms rolled up, too.

Melstar
09-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Just curious -- a catalog I really like is:

http://www.territoryahead.com/
Check it out -- do you like the clothes or not? And are you 20s, 30s, 40s, or higher?

I know it's an odd question, but I guess it's also a slow Saturday night!

Don't really fancy most of the stuff on there. Sorry.

Not because its for an older age group or anything, but more cuz of the target fairsheeon market.

My age? 97 years old. 3 more years.

ClockworkOrange
10-01-2006, 12:22 AM
No, not my sort of place to shop but my friends would.

Kind of odd but since I hit the big 50, I dress exactly how I really want to. All my friends are use to it now and fortunately my partner is not bothered. I love real casual stuff, I live in flip flops, love anything that is remotely mtb connected, cropped jeans and T shirts.

Possibly because I use to work in an environment where I had to be 'suited and booted', I have rebelled! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brilliant, slightly off topic but I am so enjoying reading Planet Pooks.

Rick, Kenny and Brad................what hunky cool looking guys you are friends with, care to share? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have bookmarked this, there is just so much to read, it's really great.

Sally

Bluetree
10-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Not my cup of tea, either. I'm almost 40, but don't live in an area where people wear thick fabrics or multi layers of clothing. Plus, I prefer clothing that is more tailored and fitted, i.e. BCBG, MaxStudio.
My mother, on the other hand, would love this web site and she is considered quite fashionable.

margo49
10-01-2006, 06:33 AM
ARGH! Margo! You got me!

...maybe you're half right and I'm here from the '60s but only via reincarnation?

You have 2 choices:

1.Get that egg (or mushroom or whatever your Mum called it in your misspent, poverty-stricken youth) and start darning that hole in the fabric of the Space-Time Continuum

2. Move away from the frayed edge of it so you don't "fall through" again. Accidentally on purpose I would add.

Bad JuJu
10-01-2006, 06:43 AM
I like some of that Territory Ahead stuff, but except for a few of the sweaters, I simply wouldn't wear it. I have a remarkable simple style: t-shirts and jeans at home, button-downs and jeans at school. In summer, the jeans-at-home turn to shorts, and the jeans-at-work turn to linen. In winter, I throw on a sweater over the top, and maybe a blazer to teach in. That's about it.

I do occasionally find some sweaters and linen stuff I like in J. Jill and at Chico. Other than that, I'm pretty much a classic casual kind of dresser.

Here's a little quirk though: I seem to like the men's clothes at TerritoryAhead as much as the women's--if only they came in my size. *sigh*

newfsmith
10-01-2006, 06:48 AM
My husband (60.75 yrs) is addicted to the Territory Ahead. For the first time in his life he eagerly awaits the arrival of the catalog, and goes through it carefully, and then asks me what I like. He is actually spending more money on clothes than we have ever budgeted before. I like some of the women's things, but after 59.5 years of frustrated shopping, I know that they won't look good on me. I wish they would because I really like some of their things, and they wouldn't look silly on someone my age. At 35 or even 40 you can wear some of your teenagers cast offs, but at 60 you would look ridiculous.

Brandy
10-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Not my style and I'm 30. Of course...I'm very basic in my clothing choices. Shirts are usually black and paired with jeans.

wannaduacentury
10-01-2006, 08:36 AM
The Territory website is nice and there are some things I like, but I'm like juju and several others, I'm casual and simple. I do like L.L. Bean though and dh and I are going to buy the adirondack barn coats this fall, they look so nice and perfect for my down home Ga climate. Easy and simple. Jennifer

Python
10-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Like the loafer shoes (they look really comfy) but doubt if they'd fit me. I'm a UK size 3 - small feet.

Also like the men's shearling jacket. Hubby would need XXLG at least.

Anyone know what American sizes equate to in UK sizes?

chickwhorips
10-01-2006, 08:54 AM
there are some cute things, but i can't say its a place i would do a bunch of shopping from. just one or two items here and there. (i fancy victoria's secret more) age: mid 20s. ;)

and i'm still the only one that knows the truth about kit and her age. :cool:

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Pooks, we all have different taste. Yes, there are some nice items in that webcatalog, but I have to say overall that I find it to be mostly (how can I describe it?) -too suburban/mall/JCPenney/officey looking for me. (I hope I am not being insulting, but it's just my impression, and you asked!)
I like clothes that I can wear while working at my computer, jump on my bike to get a loaf of bread, pull a few weeds as I pass the garden, then go on ahead to a friend's house for dinner- all while looking good, simple, practical, elegant, and without changing clothes. I like the clean-lines style of unfussy clothes in pure wool or linen and mostly non-patterned solid colors that they sell at Ibex or SmartWool or Brynn Walker(for summer linen), for example. It just works beautifully for everything I do.

Kitsune06
10-01-2006, 08:56 AM
(Temporary Threadjack)

CWR- I didn't know that Victoria's Secret stocked rain pants and waders! *giggle*

(Threadjack over)

tygab
10-01-2006, 09:02 AM
The Territory website is nice and there are some things I like, but I'm like juju and several others, I'm casual and simple. I do like L.L. Bean though and dh and I are going to buy the adirondack barn coats this fall, they look so nice and perfect for my down home Ga climate. Easy and simple. Jennifer

Gah, I live on LL Bean. It's almost sad, but most of the clothes that I have & like are from there. Some years I like their stuff more than others, but overall the style doesn't change too much from year to year.

I have tried other clothing lines and felt less satisfied, primarily with the quality. I get annoyed when a shirt I bought falls apart in its first or second washing.

I do wish they didn't send me so many catalogs. I'm not going to purchase much elsewhere anyway, and if I need something I'll find it via the interweb or (now) new store in the area.

As for the LL Bean branded outdoor gear (packs, tents, sleeping bags, snowshoes etc) - I find it generally runs a bit more to the recreational side, i.e. it could be heavier and less technical than gear from a specialized manufacturer in the respective activity. Decent prices though, and very durable like their clothes - it all depends on what you're looking for. Great stuff for car camping, train-travel across Europe, the weekend day hiker, that kind of thing.

chickwhorips
10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
(Temporary Threadjack)

CWR- I didn't know that Victoria's Secret stocked rain pants and waders! *giggle*

(Threadjack over)

you haven't gotten the new fall catalog yet have you? (or was that cabela's catalog? so confused.) i get my 'town' clothes from vikki's.

back to the regularly scheduled thread. beeeeeeep!

HipGnosis6
10-01-2006, 09:17 AM
My mom loves Territory Ahead. She and Dad (who can't wear off the rack sizes) are both outdoorsy folks in their 60's, though you'd probably guess them to be 10 years younger than they are.

I'm 30 and think some of the stuff is OK as simple casual basics but probably would find the same type of piece for less cashola elsewhere.

cherinyc
10-01-2006, 01:17 PM
My guess is that the demographic is late 40's, 50's - definitely suburbian wear. However, I think it also depends on the climate you're in. All that denim would suffocate me somewhere hot and humid like Florida, but maybe not so bad in....Missouri? don't really know, never been there, but the clothes look kinda "ranchy" (not to be confused with "raunchy", which chickwhorips can explain due to parading around town decked out in Victoria Secrets) ;)

hee hee. personally, my style ranges from BCBG, Calvin Klein to GAP or Buffalo....and I gotta have my Chuck Taylors.:cool:

Bad JuJu
10-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Gah, I live on LL Bean. It's almost sad, but most of the clothes that I have & like are from there. Some years I like their stuff more than others, but overall the style doesn't change too much from year to year.

As for the LL Bean branded outdoor gear (packs, tents, sleeping bags, snowshoes etc) - I find it generally runs a bit more to the recreational side, i.e. it could be heavier and less technical than gear from a specialized manufacturer in the respective activity. Decent prices though, and very durable like their clothes - it all depends on what you're looking for. Great stuff for car camping, train-travel across Europe, the weekend day hiker, that kind of thing.

I'm an L.L. Bean junkie, too, which you might've figured from my earlier post on this thread. Had the same impression of their outdoor gear, but lately they've been offering a wider selection of brands other than their own. For example, they had Shebeest shorts and some PI biking gear this year. And in case you find yourself in the vicinity of Freeport, ME, they now have a separate store for cycling and kayaking/canoeing. Not sure whether the separate store is open 24/7 like the main store is, but my guess is that it probably is.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
CWR- I didn't know that Victoria's Secret stocked rain pants and waders!

Their rain pants are just black rubber thongs. In winter you'd have to layer several of them to keep warm.

Kitsune06
10-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Their rain pants are just black rubber thongs. In winter you'd have to layer several of them to keep warm.

:eek: Remember the early '00s fad of "clothes-and-accessories-made-of-tire-innertubes? Remember how they had to be powdered or they'd pull hair outrageously, both going on and coming off?

Please! Think of the Follicles! :D

Bikingmomof3
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I am 37 and it is nothing I would wear, not because I do not like the clothing, it is just not "me". I am very casual. Gap jeans and T-shirts. In the winter, I wear LL Bean shirts and jeans. Being a SAHM I do not need to dress up or accessorize. I could, I just choose not to. I am most comfotable in casual clothing. Gap, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean.

Eden
10-01-2006, 02:51 PM
.....high, high, high-waisted jeans

argh curse those who brought back the hip hugger (aka low rise). I can't wear those buggers without advertising my underwear brand to the world via the large gap in the back says the gal with the long rise (well at least for a short person) and little waist. I promise to buy only those jeans short enough so I don't have to roll the cuffs though....

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-01-2006, 03:04 PM
:eek: Remember the early '00s fad of "clothes-and-accessories-made-of-tire-innertubes? Remember how they had to be powdered or they'd pull hair outrageously, both going on and coming off?

No, but what about the fad of the early '00s of wearing waist hugging apparel with bone ribs and tightened laces that pushed your organs out of the way so you could have an 18" waist? Forget about saving your follicles, what about your poor LIVER and KIDNEYS?? (Ooops- maybe I'm thinking of that "other" early '00s!)

Hey, maybe we're onto something here... rubber innertube biking leg warmers that wax your legs when you whip them off! I claim patent rights!

Kitsune06
10-01-2006, 03:06 PM
You have 2 choices:

1.Get that egg (or mushroom or whatever your Mum called it in your misspent, poverty-stricken youth) and start darning that hole in the fabric of the Space-Time Continuum

2. Move away from the frayed edge of it so you don't "fall through" again. Accidentally on purpose I would add.

*whines* but darning is hard and time-consuming, and moving away from the edge would mean not having as much fun... Besides- what thread do you USE for the fabric of the Space-Time continuum?!

Eden- I hear ya on the 'low rise'. There's 'hip-hugging' low, then there's "OMG, she's wearing a G-string?!" low. I love hip-hugging 'low', but can't stand revealing pants. I wear clothes so people can't see my underwear, thankyoo.
Reminds me of my complaint about A&F (sorry if you shop there) If they're trying to advertise their clothing, maybe their models could actually be wearing some?

Lisa S.H.- Yow. You can keep that patent! BTW, you're actually dead on. That did come back in this '00s as well as that '00. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tightlacing) Link is Wikipedia, and as such fairly inoffensive, but still scary. Cathie Jung has a ~15" waist. :eek:

Bikingmomof3
10-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Reminds me of my complaint about A&F (sorry if you shop there) If they're trying to advertise their clothing, maybe their models could actually be wearing some?

Choked on my coffee, note to self, do not drink and read. :p
I have one pair of A&F jeans. They are great for about 5 minutes then a huge gap forms and they begin the decent down my rear. Trust me, not an attractive look or feel.

suzieqtwa
10-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Im 52 ,and there is nothing in that catalogue that I would wear. Just give me some low rise jeans from Express ,or Limited.

Triskeliongirl
10-01-2006, 05:21 PM
I am 49 and would not wear the clothes in that catalogue. My daughter helped me buy the greatest jeans from AE (artist slim w flare leg). While I admit they are little too low rise for my liking, they actually look great and I just cover up the undies with a long shirt. I buy a lot of clothes at old navy, like express and limited too. I like to keep my look modern and a bit bohemian.

Xrayted
10-01-2006, 06:26 PM
In my former career, I worked on a lot of catalogs and magazines. Territory Ahead is geared as an "edgy" LL Bean. They sometimes deliberately pick complimentary colors so you can match w/ your LLB stuff easier. J. Jill is also designed to catch the LL Beaners like TA does but they took it up a notch or two. Coldwater Creek goes along those lines too. I also worked on Eddie Bauer (don't pay their bills on time), Anthropologie (good one to check out - something for everyone), Vicky's Secret (rather snobby), Carabella's (good swim suits, better made than VS, would recommend - cheap made clothes though. The "shots" are all taken at the publisher's house in FL - he's a bit of a letch. His editing of the pics just terrified me at times. blech) Long Elegant Legs is good, for those of you who have 'em.
I say wear what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I don't look at clothes as age specific necessarily. (except some of those stretchy, flowery tops my mom wears - yech) I'm a t-shirt/cami and shorts/jeans kinda girl around home. I live in sweaters over the winter. Dress up when I need to but otherwise, very casual.

Cassandra_Cain
10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
The clothes in the catalog are nice, just not me - kind of how others have said. Just not my persona as I'm a rather athletic, relaxed, non-label type.

I'm a fan of henley's, deep v-necks, cord vests with s/s blouses, big-wide belts, and of course, low-rise for bottoms, especially jeans.

Truth be told, I've gotten more casual (but with better taste) as I've gotten older - I'm early 30's. I shop for clothes almost exclusively in juniors, and stores that cater to that set....Charlotte Russe, the junior's dept at JCPenny's.

In the process I no longer use any makeup at all -regardless of occasion, bra's with wire (I only wear sports bras!), heels, and dresses.

I used to hate low-rise stuff but then I wasn't nearly in as good a shape, so it didn't suit my body before. In fairness, I think it tends to suit certain body types better than others - having a racer girl build, it works for me. Naturally, stuff that more curvy types can look good in makes me look terrible.

emily_in_nc
10-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I had never seen this catalog before so checked the link. It is definitely a "western" company (even to the photo on the upper right of the home page). I like the clothes, though some of them have a bit too much of a western feel for me, living in the east (a lot of denim and patterns - more than I care for). And there weren't a lot of petites, which I need. And a lot of dresses and skirts, which I almost never wear. Some of the simpler pieces I like a lot, but the patterned stuff, not so much. There are at least some models, for example these jeans (http://www.territoryahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=833&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C6%2C180%2C303&iProductID=833&sortBy=alpha&page=1&onePage=1). She looks pretty young to me! But I would never buy jeans (even tho the price is great) from a picture like this - I want to see the back and front, not covered by a jacket or sitting down - and I have to know the inseam! Knowing they're petites doesn't help at all, as I've seen petite jeans with inseams from 28-30", and I have to have 29".

I'm 45, like to dress young for my age (but certainly not teenybopper - just modern). My favorite places to shop are LL Bean and Lands End (both have some dowdy stuff but some nice things if you shop carefully), and Gap and Anne Taylor Loft (when I need dressier stuff), in the mall. But my true favorite places to shop are Team Estrogen, and Terry! :D

Emily

GLC1968
10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm close to 40 and I'd have to really search to find things in that catalog that I'd buy/wear. It's not my style...but I don't think it's an age thing. I think its the styling...everything is so 'drapey'. As a short, stocky girl...drapey and I don't mix! I do like some of the shoes though...for weekend wear.

I will say that no company completely suits my style as it varies pretty drastically depending on what I am doing. I can be extremely sports oriented, totally grungy, preppy, fashion forward...you name it. I shop mostly at Banana Republic and Eddie Bauer for work (business casual), and my weekend clothes are from the far reaches of the globe...Patagonia to Gap to Ralph Lauren to Adidas to etc... I guess I like variety!

Dianyla
10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
My immediate tongue-in-cheek description of their target demographic is as follows:

Middle aged (40-60) middle-class WASPs who live west of the Mississippi. If they mated... Coldwater Creek (http://www.coldwatercreek.com/) and Eddie Bauer (http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/default.asp). :p

NB: I'm replying without having read past the first post in this thread. I'll read the rest of the replies once this posts.

pooks
10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
My immediate tongue-in-cheek description of their target demographic is as follows:

Middle aged (40-60) middle-class WASPs who live west of the Mississippi. If they mated... Coldwater Creek (http://www.coldwatercreek.com/) and Eddie Bauer (http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/default.asp). :p

NB: I'm replying without having read past the first post in this thread. I'll read the rest of the replies once this posts.

Love it. And right on target!

Let's see, I live in jeans and tees, am most likely to shop at LLBean via catalogue. I luuuuurve Chucks -- have several pair, and my "business" wear is jeans, white tee, black blazer and black Chuck Taylor hightops, but that's because I'm a screenwriter and casual is the name of the game. Also, I could do without the blazer if I lost some weight. (Lightweight blazer, nothing too structured.)

Since I started cycling, I've done lots of shopping but not much "keeping." The jerseys are usually too tight -- I'm not used to wearing stuff that formfitting (again, a weight issue) but as i continue to lose I assume that will change.

And yes, lately I've spent a lot of time in bike shorts and jerseys!

The two things I've bought from TA and love are:

this sweater, worn with jeans or cords (http://www.territoryahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=966&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C5%2C31&iProductID=966&sortBy=alpha&page=1&onePage=)

and this jacket, again worn with jeans or cords (http://www.territoryahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1415&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C5%2C32&iProductID=1415&sortBy=alpha&page=2&onePage=)

And now that I think about it, maybe the reason I got those compliments is simply because people were so relieved to see me in something besides jeans and tees!

When I check out this site/catalog, I'm always looking for something to dress up jeans a bit.

pepe6599
10-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm not a catalog shopper for two reason 1) I lilke to try on my clothes before buying them, which catalogs shopping makes it to compicated to do. 2) I have a interesting body type so my size differs from brand to brand.

I have seen some catalogs, such as Delias and Alloy, I like their stuff but I always can find it at a store or mall.

My style is more like Classic mixed with some new. I'm the girl at work who wears the preppy clothes and punk it up a little, weather it be with diiferent fabric or patterns. I don't wear skirts and anything above the knee.

At home I'll admit I'm a bit of a tom-boy. Some bermuda shorts and a baby tee will work for me.

SouthernBelle
10-03-2006, 11:10 AM
This turned into a fun thread. It's just an OK catalog.

I like the Eddie Bauer store near me, mostly because it's an outlet. But I doubt I would order much from the catalog.

Like JJill better than Coldwater Creek. CC is a little on the shapeless, primary color side sometimes.

I've also realized that I hardly ever wear jeans anymore. :eek: Pants, not jeans. Whodda thunk.

eclectic
10-03-2006, 02:31 PM

NB: .

Well I am finally almost middle aged (I plan on living to at least 100 and the middle is 50), I live west of the Mississippi, I am middle class and a WASP. So I fit all the demographics BUT I don't like any of the clothes (there was 1 cool pair of shoes and a nice sweater I must admit) I find them all a little dowdy and 1 dress looks exactly like one I bought in the late 80's PULEEEZE don't tell me those styles are coming back (I did love the colors though - teal and magenta - I wonder what I did withe those shoes:rolleyes: )

My dress style is pretty much capris and variations on the t-shirt, in the winter boring pants and solid color sweaters. For work I don't get too contemporary because I work with high school students and for the most part they don't want their teachers dressing like them, especially the ones over 30. And I don't want to dress like them, even I feel people who are 50 and try to look 18 are a little tacky

pooks
10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
You mention colors --

I realized last night that the main thing that appeals to me in that catalog is that they have a lot of what I consider true fall colors. LL Bean is still tossing out all sorts of pastels and weak colors in their women's clothes. I'm a redhead with green eyes and would wear dark greens, golds, browns, oranges, purples and such all year round if I could find them!

Bluetree
10-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Middle aged (40-60)

Wow, 40 and middle aged! As I'm heading towards the big 4-0 soon, I hear a sound of its approach... it sounds like the Darth Vader death march!

pepe6599
10-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I tend to buy dark colors, I can't seem to keep light colors clean. Don't get me wrong i own a couple of light colors shirts but not very many. I do love the salmon color, which is one of the very few light colors I can keep clean, I have about 5 woven shirts that color.

Kitsune06
10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
ARGH.

That's one of my huge gripes- pastels. My 'casual' look leans toward casual, comfy jeans or cargo pants, and a tee (or if going for a 'look', a plain shirt with collared overshirt left open)

My less casual/more work-friendly look leans toward a bohemian black/white/grey with something subtle to either go with my eyes or hair...

Nowhere in there do pastels fit in, and it's just outrageously hard to find what I want (at normal prices...) :rolleyes:

SadieKate
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
You mention colors --

I realized last night that the main thing that appeals to me in that catalog is that they have a lot of what I consider true fall colors. LL Bean is still tossing out all sorts of pastels and weak colors in their women's clothes. I'm a redhead with green eyes and would wear dark greens, golds, browns, oranges, purples and such all year round if I could find them!Pooks, I completely agree with you. Where are all the beautiful rich jewel tones that actually make people look alive? The current fashion trend for so many seems to be true neutrals and pushed neutrals. I am so sick of grayed out colors. They aren't even true clear pastels. I just cruised JJill. There are a few things that are classic fitted jackets much like Territory Ahead and then there is the shapeless grandma's curtains and antimacassar look in old rose and mildewed turquoise. Call me an old fogey for liking rich colors, but at least I don't look like my clothes sat in granny's attic for years.

tygab
10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
You mention colors --
LL Bean is still tossing out all sorts of pastels and weak colors in their women's clothes. I'm a redhead with green eyes and would wear dark greens, golds, browns, oranges, purples and such all year round if I could find them!

I think of pastels as pink for some reason, and I hate the color pink. I don't fortunately see much pink in their catologues and I generally wear the following colors:

white, black, grey, blue, beige. On an odd day I might wear dark green, maroon, or brown.

One thing I like about LL Bean is that they have a lot of solids. I don't like stripes, paisleys, stitched stuff, flowers, tie die, or anything else that seems uselessly adorning. Putting this into words, I must sound like a really boring dresser, and I'm only 34.

But the truth is 90 percent of the time for work I am wearing their jeans (as dark blue as possible, I save faded ones for at home), black socks and shoes, and a solid shirt and/or fleece or sweater in one of the above colors. I want clothes that I don't have to think about, and these are what work for me...

When its free time, I wear synthetic clothes more appropriate to hiking or something outdoors because that is what I try to do with most of my free time. Zip off pants, and a mesh type shirt are perennial faves.

Now all that said, my favorite color for a cycling jersey? YELLOW! Preferably with some cool graphics to look at too!

:)

Kano
10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow, 40 and middle aged! As I'm heading towards the big 4-0 soon, I hear a sound of its approach... it sounds like the Darth Vader death march!

Oh no! Not a death march at all!

40 was about when I started being my own person -- this has been a GREAT decade!

Karen in Boise

Quillfred
10-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I think The Territory Ahead is a great company. I like to catalog or on-line shop and they are one of my favorites. Their catalog is enjoyable to look at with nice travel photography. I have ordered several things now and am pleased with the high quality. Their fabrics tend to be pretty natural: cotton, wool, silk, tencel and leather. The textures are better than what you usually find.

The clothes are comfortable and causual. I especially like their pants--cotton velvet with spandex, alternating-wale corduroy. The linen shirts are nice. The sales are outstanding.

To sum it up--classy but comfortable.

Cassandra_Cain
10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
You mention colors --

I realized last night that the main thing that appeals to me in that catalog is that they have a lot of what I consider true fall colors. LL Bean is still tossing out all sorts of pastels and weak colors in their women's clothes. I'm a redhead with green eyes and would wear dark greens, golds, browns, oranges, purples and such all year round if I could find them!

Woo Pooks :D

You and me both - total fall types. I've lost count of how many brown and olive tops I have - answer? never enough!

Pastels and the like fit a very different color type than ours - yes I can't stand those spring lines full of peaches, limes, and other offending hues :D . So like you, I also look for places and styles that have flattering colors.

emily_in_nc
10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Pastels and the like fit a very different color type than ours - yes I can't stand those spring lines full of peaches, limes, and other offending hues :D

Hehee, I am a "spring"! I look good in greens (but not olive), peach, ivory, aqua, yellow.... Different catalogs for us all, I guess! :D

Emily

Kano
10-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Since I started cycling, I've done lots of shopping but not much "keeping." The jerseys are usually too tight -- I'm not used to wearing stuff that formfitting (again, a weight issue) but as i continue to lose I assume that will change.

Hee hee, Pooks -- yeah, form fitting can be a scary thing when we don't have "model forms," can't it? I don't know who's more scared by "form fitting" when I wear it: me or the genneral public!

Karen in Boise

ClockworkOrange
10-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Another reason I am not keen on buying clothes online, or from catalogues is sizes, for me anyway, they can vary so much.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Missbe/George_pajamas.gif

I open my wardrobe and colours are not too varied, tend to buy red or black, without really realising it. Perhaps this says something about my personality. :rolleyes:

Sally