PDA

View Full Version : Long Runs 9/25 - 10/1

kaybee
09-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow, we're into October! :eek: Who ran long this week?

RP and I were scheduled to do 9 today, but she's doing a sprint tri tomorrow, so we "shortened" it to 8 miles. Fortunately, the weather is much better today than it was last Saturday -- in 50s this morning, with low humidity. It was a perfect mornign for a run, and we averaged a 9:58 pace, which we were very happy about! Riding tomorrow for the first time in two weeks. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

KB

colby
09-30-2006, 01:15 PM
RP and I were scheduled to do 9 today, but she's doing a sprint tri tomorrow, so we "shortened" it to 8 miles. Fortunately, the weather is much better today than it was last Saturday -- in 50s this morning, with low humidity. It was a perfect mornign for a run, and we averaged a 9:58 pace, which we were very happy about! Riding tomorrow for the first time in two weeks. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

9:58! Good work! My last 8 was at the end of the week, and I was something like a 10:30. I REALLY want to do a 12k under 9:40 next May, so I'm hopeful that in a race situation I'd be able to push harder, and that the rest of my endurance training and winter base building will do me good.

Your weather sounds great. Today was a shorter day for me (tomorrow the longer), and it was already 72 at 10:30 with sun sun sun. Tomorrow I'll be getting up earlier, but the weather's supposed to be cooler anyway. I'm so ready for fall!

Enjoy your ride, and good luck to everyone with their long runs :)

Lise
09-30-2006, 01:41 PM
1/2 Marathon tomorrow, so no running today. I take the notion of tapering a lot more seriously than I should! :p Did go down to the Expo today. You get a blue race number bib if you're a "returning" racer, instead of a white one for a first timer. Isn't that nice? AND they printed my first name on my bib! So cool! I'm off to finalize my running outfit. Looks like great weather tomorrow.

Bikingmomof3
09-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Lise,
Good luck tomorrow!

Running Mommy
09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Go get em girl!! I'll be thinking about you!! :)

colby
09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Good luck, Lise! You'll do great! :D

Grog
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I hope Lise had a good run, I was thinking about her as I went on mine.

I just ran 11 km today, I had thought I'd do 13 but I have a 10k race next week and I would like to feel good doing it. My thighs were already really tight, and I have a longboat race this afternoon so I didn't want to wear myself out. I've increased my volume, progressively, but nonetheless my body is adjusting.

For the first time of my life I am craving a massage...

Running Mommy
10-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Just a rather short long run for me this week. I'm just getting back into the swing of things after being lazy all summer. UGH!! You lose endurance alot faster than you gain it! :mad:

colby
10-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Today was an in-between week, 10 miles. Time was about 1:43, edging in on a 10-minute mile, and a slightly faster pace than 8 miles from a couple days ago (of course the 8 miles came mid-week, so not exactly a fair comparison). Someday I'll reach that 2 hour HM... even if it is only in my dreams for now ;)

LISE! Where are you?? :p :cool:

colby
10-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Just a rather short long run for me this week. I'm just getting back into the swing of things after being lazy all summer. UGH!! You lose endurance alot faster than you gain it! :mad:

How's the weather down there? Still toasty?

Lise
10-01-2006, 04:54 PM
LISE! Where are you?? :p :cool:
I am here! :D Race report: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=10630

RM, I feel your pain about losing the endurance so quickly. You'll build it back up.

limewave
10-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I've just been reading about everyone's runs this weekend, trying to motivate myself for my 20-miler tomorrow morning. I should have done it today, but we've been on vacation.

Lise--congrats on your race! I just read your report, sounds like you had a great day.

Lise
10-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Oh, limewave, that 20 miler is tough, but when you have it behind you, you'll feel like the Queen of the World. You'll *know* you can do that marathon once you've run the 20 miles. Have a great time. L.

colby
10-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I've just been reading about everyone's runs this weekend, trying to motivate myself for my 20-miler tomorrow morning. I should have done it today, but we've been on vacation.

Just imagine we're there with you, your own mini cheering squad right when you need it. :) 20 is on my plate for next weekend and I know I'll need it!! A big ol' string of TE runners pulling each of us along.

limewave
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
My philosophy for training has been to do it when I can no matter what the weather is and whether I feel like it or not. I'm too busy (as most of you understand) to be choosy about when I can train.

I was expecting rain today for my 20-miler . . . but not a squall! We've had severe weather all morning and it is just now starting to clear up. So, I'm heading out to do a 10-miler before the next storm comes off the lake.

So, my marathon is in 3 weeks. According to my training schedule, my next two long runs are 15 and then 10 miles. Would it be alright if I ran 20 next week to make up for this week . . . or is that too close to the marathon?

colby
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Hmm, I'm definitely far from an expert, but it seems like this weekend would be too close to the marathon to be doing 20M. Maybe increase the shorter runs this week so your total mileage is still high, then begin your taper as per the schedule?

I am going to miss 1 day this week (Thursday, an 8-mile day) because I am traveling. I am thinking I will either increase Wednesday to 8 miles (was 6 miles) and skip Thursday, or try hard to find someplace to run. I'm going to San Diego, so I know there has to be something, but whether I find the time and am comfortable with the route...