PDA

View Full Version : Camelbacks

bikemad1
09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi all! I'm thinking about purchasing a Camelback but I have a few questions about them. I 'd like to know how many of you use them and which style you use? I'm also curious if your back sweats a lot when you're wearing it (could be my imagination!!!) and is it heavy when it's full of water? Do you use it for mountain, road, or commuting riding?

Fredwina
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I have the Dream, which I use for everything. Never had a problem with sweating - but I know some people do.
Wieght, I usually don't notice it, but this agian is a personal observation

Bikingmomof3
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
I have the Charm and love it. It is small, there is not a lot of carry space, but that is what I wanted.

Trekhawk
09-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I have the Magic that I use when Im mountain biking. Its a larger Camelbak and has plenty of room for tools, tubes, food and lets not forget the first aid kit.....trust me when you fall off as much as I do mtb you need room for that.:D

colby
09-29-2006, 04:11 PM
The only Camelbak I've tried is the waistpack, Flashflo, which on the website says 1.3L but I swear the one I got said 1.8L. I wear it running and biking, and bought a clip to add on so I can clip it to my jersey.

I did not get a backpack mostly because I sweat so much running that an entire pack would be too much for me in the summer. I have used it several times riding, and it's great, though I'm pretty sure it covered up my jersey pockets. I carried gels, my cell phone, keys, a couple of other things. No huge cargo capacity, but I have a frame pump and bag on my bike for tubes and tools, too.

I had to buy the clip to put it closer to my mouth (otherwise I have to reach to my waist to get the valve), I believe the backpacks come with them. The capacity is perfect for me for about 2 hours of riding/running in the sun, much more if it's a cool/shady day or low intensity ride, less if I'm super thirsty or it's a warm/humid day.

As for weight, I didn't really notice it biking, but I notice it a lot running. I fasten it as tight as I can to my waist for running (or it's really bouncy), but I can wear it more loosely for riding. I think a backpack would be similar on that front, but a little better distributed. As your ride goes on and the camelbak empties, the weight becomes even less of an issue. I usually forget about it entirely within a few minutes.

Sometimes I put mine in the freezer 30 minutes before I'm going to go to make the water super cold. Having it against my body can make either my body colder or the water warmer. Sometimes, I empty a bottle of filtered water I always have in the fridge into the camelbak and restock the fridge. I would store mine in the fridge, but then it picks up the "Fridge Smell" if we have leftovers in there ;) Sometimes water out of the tap is cold enough, but I find that when I'm exercising I like my water COLD, colder than I do otherwise.

I really prefer it to reaching for bottles for water, I can carry much more this way, and it means I can put cytomax or something in my polar bottle instead.

Kalidurga
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
I also have the Dream. It's a great size for most rides, holding 2 liters of water and a snack or two. I don't feel at all encumbered by the weight, and I only sweat under it on really hot &/or humid days.

I did decide, though, that I wanted more compartment space so I picked up one of the new Chaos models. It's a cool golden brown color, which I way prefer to the usual Camelbak shades (a great big thank you to you mtb'ers out there who convinced Camelbak to go earthy :D ). It's a men's model, though, so the straps are a tad wide and the length of the pack might be a bit long. I have yet to actually use it, but I'm thinking that being able to carry my camera and stow cold-weather gear will make up for the not-quite-right fit.

guanajagirl
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
I have the day star. Its a women specific pack and super comfy IMO. It has a lot of carry space but if its not full its really light. I havent taken it on the bike yet. Just lots of hikes. But i dont anticipate any problems. Camelbacks are just great products whichever modle u may go with.

emily_in_nc
09-29-2006, 06:29 PM
I also have the Camelbak Flashflo waist pack. It carries about 48 oz of water, not nearly as big as most of the shoulder models, but perfect for most of the road and mtb rides I do (I can supplement with a bottle of Accelerade if needed). It seems heavy around my waist when I first put it on, but once on the bike, I never even notice it. Recommended!

Emily

love2bike
09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I now use a Camelbak for every ride - I prefer it because I don't have to grab for a bottle, so I take sips more often. I have a "Dream" (70 oz w/ compartments) for trail rides and a "Blue Wave" (small 50 oz. $15 at Bass Pro Shop) for road rides. It has a nice cool feel on your back when you fill it with ice, or for hot days, I freeze my water in the blatter and it stays nice and cool for hours.

bikemad1
09-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I think you girls are reading my mind!!:D I want to get a Camelback because I want to use my bottles for the electrolyte stuff and also because I really do drink a lot of water. I 'm finding myself rationing the water in the bottles I have now, which really isn't good if I decide to ride a little longer, and it really, really isn't good in the 90*+ heat that we have here in Arizona. There's so many styles to choose from. I think I'll get one that has a little bit of room for the first aid kit that Trekhawk mentioned!

gobles
09-29-2006, 08:43 PM
I have several Camelbaks and I love them all. They have a new one coming out April of 2007 that has speakers on the straps so you can plug in your Ipod and cell phone for hands free and head phone free riding. My friend was lucky enough to touch it at Interbike and said that they will retail for $250, a bit to much, but I will ask for it for my 16th wedding ann. in April.

Thistle
10-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I bought my first camelbak yesterday, and after trying on heaps of styles and "assuming the riding position :D " decided on the "Rogue".

I wore it today for a long ride, and it was incredibly comfortable. Most of the time I wasnt even aware it was there. I didnt find it hot, even though it was hot enough to get sunburnt.

I think they are great.

EBD
10-01-2006, 08:50 AM
I have the Alterra, which appears to be a smaller (28 oz) version of the Flashflo. (see Camelbak site - I bought mine at REI). I only use it for running, not biking, and 28 oz is enough for me to run for 90 minutes or so in the North Carolina summer heat. I compared it to bottle-packs and found the Camelbak was the least bouncy. It also has a soft lining, unlike some bottle belts, which is important because it invariably rides above the waistband of my shorts to rest against my bare belly. I cram my tiny mp3 player and a gel into its nooks and crannies, but there is minimal storage. The tube wraps around the waist and clips in place, but it also came with a clip to attach to your shirt if you prefer. I highly recommend it for running - probably not enough capacity for cycling though!

wannaduacentury
10-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I have the WSD Charm, it blue w/ a small pocket for wallet etc and a bungee holder. 50 oz capacity. Fine for not so long rides and fairly lightweight. It works for me. Jennifer

Grog
10-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a Charm which carries 1.5 L. That means 1,5 kg if totally full.

I had bought it for running and tried it for the first time today. I'm bringing it back; I really dislike having the whole thing on my back. I'll get the waist-only model.

I could totally imagine it for mountain biking, though. But for the road, I much prefer bottles on the frame, because otherwise my back tends to get really wet.

bikemad1
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I bought a CamelBak!!!! Since I don't have a LBS in my area, I have to do most of my bike shopping through the internet. I logged onto Nashbar.com and bought the M.U.L.E. Camelbak. They're offering a free cleaning kit to go along with it. I can't wait for it to get here!!:D

roadie gal
11-03-2006, 09:57 AM
OMG I think I am the Camelbak Queen!

I have:
1. the Flashflow waistpack for running and XC ski skating (the shoulder straps are irritating on the backpack style with the arm motion)
2. the Hawg for long road and mountain bikes with a 100oz bladder
3. A minimalist one with a 70 oz bladder and a neoprene covered tube for downhill skiing
4. a big honking REI backpack with room for a 100 oz bladder for long hikes where I need to carry a bunch of stuff

I'm sold on them. :D

Geonz
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I've got a blowfish that I love - it's very faded and has those salt-streaks all over the place. I can carry that Road Morph pump and that travel iron that I have to bring to the graduation party... I also have a hi-viz one from e-bay, but it has NO ZERO ZIP NADA cargo room. There's gotta be a way to integrate it with a backpack or something and have it outside... but it's beyond my linear, verbal brain.

Dianyla
11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I have had a variety of camelbaks over the years, and yes the sweaty back thing is a problem. Then I found the Deuter Race X Air on clearance at REI-outlet.com for $30 - it has an air web suspension thingy. The pack is held an inch away from your back by a mesh screen.

They are a little hard to find, but I'm a big fan of Deuter's bicycling specific packs.

caligurl
11-03-2006, 05:46 PM
rogue.... no sweating... and i live in the 120+ degree desert!

Kitsune06
11-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm using my flashflo for commuting, because I *do* sweat (don't have an actual Camelbak backpack, though... it's a Camelbak bladder in a Hydrapak bag) and also don't need the temptation of a big bag to carry with me (because y'know, if you've got a big bag, you're probably going to want to *fill* it...)