PDA

View Full Version : real age test

mimitabby
09-28-2006, 08:25 AM
http://www.realage.com/index.aspx

find out what your real age is, according to your health, not your calendar!

mine is 45 hahahaha (I will be 55 in november)
biking has had a lot to do with this difference.

Artisan
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow, Mimi, you did really good! I got 33 and I'm 40. I do think they need to tweak the test a little. It said my low resting heart rate went towards the side of making me older. I have a low resting heart rate because I exercise, not because of any heart issues. I would have thought it would have took that into account from my other answers but obviously not. :confused:

xeney
09-28-2006, 12:22 PM
It said my real age is 32.1 (I'm 37.2). Pfft, tell that to my ovaries.

I agree that it's not a very good test, though. The things that are bumping me up are blood pressure -- I have low blood pressure and I said so! And I don't eat enough fats and grains. And I have stress.

I guess I should be glad that it didn't make me 75.

mimitabby
09-28-2006, 12:29 PM
are you sure about the low resting heart rate? My heart rate went from 80's to 60's since i started riding harder; and when i put in that 66 my "age" went down immediately (from the last time I took the test)

low resting heart rate means you have a stronger heart.

Kitsune06
09-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm 20.9 in my test... =D

limewave
09-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I was 24 and I'm really 28.3.

I already know I'm doomed to live to be 99. All my maternal grandmothers, greatgrandmothers, great-great grandmothers live into their late 90's or early 100's.

Bikingmomof3
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
32.3 and I am 37.3, not too shabby.

Artisan
09-28-2006, 01:50 PM
My resting heart rate is 46, before I started biking consistantly it was 66. Yes, the test put it on the side of making me older. I took a print screen of it so you could see. Now everyone will know about my bad flossing habits, lol:eek:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1647&stc=1&d=1159479954

Artisan
09-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Kitsune, I was majorly impressed till I checked your profile, lol.

mimitabby
09-28-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4701
Resting Heart Rate

What is resting heart rate?

This is a person's heart rate at rest. The best time to find out your resting heart rate is in the morning, after a good night's sleep, and before you get out of bed.

The heart beats about 60 to 80 times a minute when we're at rest. Resting heart rate usually rises with age, and it's generally lower in physically fit people. Resting heart rate is used to determine one's training target heart rate. Athletes sometimes measure their resting heart rate as one way to find out if they're overtrained. The heart rate adapts to changes in the body's need for oxygen, such as during exercise or sleep

chickwhorips
09-28-2006, 02:41 PM
my age is 25.6 and my real age is 30.2.

think the history of breast cancer and low hr kinda messes me up on this test.

ClockworkOrange
09-28-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.realage.com/index.aspx

find out what your real age is, according to your health, not your calendar!

mine is 45 hahahaha (I will be 55 in november)
biking has had a lot to do with this difference.

Hi Mimi

Well, judging by your avatar, you are doing extremely well! :D :D :D

Mind you, looking at mine, I really am sagging a bit! :(

Just waiting to hear back about what my 'real age' is. I think I put on several years just trying to answer all the questions.

Have a good weekend.

Sally

pepe6599
09-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I aged at 25.5 and I'm 25. I thought it was amusing when it pulled up my stats. hahah

light_sabe_r
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm 23.6 and I pulled up 15.7!

O_O WHAT THE ****!!!!!

That's INSANE!!! I haven't been riding all that long so I can't possibly be that young!! I'm ALMOST 8 years younger than I really am. (yeah... tell that to my face!)

Although... I do think I'm just a big kid. :P

Brina
09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
funny you should post this - I just took the test recently. Two years back my real age was a wee bit over my calendar age. Today, i am 40 and my real age is 33.4

Python
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
My real age is almost 50. The Realage thing put me at 66.5:mad:

Seems to think I should eat fruit. I don't like fruit (except bananas) but I love vegetables and have at least 5 different types with our main meal.

Probably also because I smoke and I refuse under any circumstances to fall prey to the cholesterol scam.

I think I'm very healthy (can count on 3 fingers the amount of times I've been ill in the last 20 years, and that was just your average heavy cold/flu) and very active - apart from my born-again cycling, I'm also a dancer and do tap and ballet. I'm also a 1st Kyu Brown Belt in Karate, so I think they've got it a bit wrong. The job I do involves a lot of walking. Keeps me fit:D

Never mind, it was fun doing the survey.

lauraelmore1033
09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm 43, but my "real age" is 39.2. I must have made a mistake. People have been telling me I look 40 since I was 28, and they're still always assuming I am my husband's mother. Well, he's always been such a baby face anyway. Interesting test.

jeannierides
09-28-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm 56, and my *real age* is 45.8! :)

kelownagirl
09-28-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm 46.5 with a realage of 40.9. Breast cancer in family was a problem and I don't floss...

barb

Trek420
09-28-2006, 06:53 PM
RealAge says I'm 45.1

My real real age in 50.5

Xrayted
09-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm 36 but the test says 33. But most days I feel about 28 so I choose to go by what my body tells me. Of course she could be just messing with me... :rolleyes:

snapdragen
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I came up with 45.7 - I'll be 50 in March. I already knew the changes I need to make - good to have the confirmation!

DirtDiva
09-29-2006, 01:22 AM
I scored a 20.3 - down 6.6 years on reality, but I still got done for bad flossing habits because I only said I flossed six times a week instead of every day! :rolleyes:

margo49
09-29-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm 20.9 in my test... =D

A-ha; more clues
The plot thickens...

chickwhorips
09-29-2006, 08:09 AM
A-ha; more clues
The plot thickens...

dun dun DAAAAAAA!!!!!:eek:

mary9761
09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
I haven't gotten my final results, but the more questions I answered the older I got!! :eek: :eek: :( I don't know if I knew the answers to some of my numbers if that would have helped, but if the site was to make us feel better, I feel worse...:(

RoadRaven
09-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Well, my birth age is 41yrs, 1 month

They gave me 36.5 as my "real" age.

They said I could lower my age further if I reduced my eating of red meat to once a week (c'mon - I'm a Leo, I'm a carnivore!!!) and if I reduced the quantity and intensity of my exercise (c'mon - I have to increase it if I want to be nationally competitive!!!)

I guess I am at an advantage over some of the women here who cycle, as I have had no serious health issues (the last time I was in hospital was 11 years ago to have my tubes tied), I take no medication/prescription drugs (last time was 4 years ago for a sinus infection, I don't smoke or drink, no history in my family of most of the diseases they list.

Don't take it to heart, Mary - anyone who tells an exercising woman to cut out red meat hasn't got everything 100per! Its interesting, but not a gospel.

velocilex
09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm 40.8, my RealAge is 38. Among other bizarre things that make me older (like controlling my arthritis with diet and exercise intead of medication I don't need), I apparently exercise TOO MUCH!

I'm jealous of all you ladies who are many years "younger" but thankful I didn't get clocked as an old, old lady! ;)

fatbottomedgurl
09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Did you all read the fine print or did you just hit "accept"? Stuff like this sounds fun until you understand how these sites are violating your privacy. There's no free ride here.

In part you agree to:

We do not use third party advertising services to display advertisements or links on our sites. However, when you click on such advertisements or links, you will leave our site and go to another site. During this process, a third party (including a third party advertising service that may provide services to an advertiser) may collect Personal Data or Anonymous Data from you, such as the URL you just came from, the URL you go to next, your browser type, and your IP address.

I hope everyone uses AdAware free from Lavasoft to kill all the spyware this sort of site makes you vulnerable to. And sorry for ending on a preposition, you grammar goddesses.

chickwhorips
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I hope everyone uses AdAware free from Lavasoft to kill all the spyware this sort of site makes you vulnerable to. And sorry for ending on a preposition, you grammar goddesses.

yup use that and also CCleaner to clear up extra some extra space on my computer so it runs faster.

now back to your scheduled thread....

emily_in_nc
09-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I hope everyone uses AdAware free from Lavasoft to kill all the spyware this sort of site makes you vulnerable to.

Thanks for the reminder, fbg! I'll do that and Spybot Search and Destroy as well, since it's been awhile since I've run either.

I took the test but was disappointed in some of the conclusions. My age is 45.5, it came up with 40.5 for my real age. However, one of the many things that "aged" me was selecting "high HDL" instead of my exact HDL number. The reason I did this is because I haven't gotten my cholesterol checked for a few years, so I felt it would be a bit presumptious to put in the exact figure from my last test, which I actually remember (103 - very high). I would have put that in if I had known it would be significant.

I also got dinged for "only" weight lifting twice a week. Honestly, how many of us even do that? I go to the gym at work and am normally the only woman lifting at all (most are doing the treadmill). I'd lift more, except that I am riding, running, and hiking so don't want or need to do a lot of leg weight work, so I think twice a week is fine for upper body since I am not a body builder. Sheesh!

Other things I got dinged on were not eating enough servings of grains, fruits, veggies, etc. I think I eat adequate amounts of all of those things (~3 servings grains, 1 fruit, 3-5 veggies), but I'm very petite and just don't eat nearly as much overall as they must want me to be eating, since I do eat balanced. They also didn't ask some nutrition questions I think are really important: I buy nearly all my groceries at the local farmer's market (organic) and whole-foods co-op (at least 75% organic), buy no processed foods, eat out only very rarely, etc. etc., but I didn't get any credit for those things, just got dinged because I eat fewer servings of everything than the average Josephine! I weigh less than 105; I just don't need to eat all that much when I am not riding mega miles.

One other thing I got dinged on was taking prescription medication. I take one Rx: Advair for asthma, in the lowest dosage possible. Why is that worse than untreated asthma?! I don't get that at all. I follow the Rx instructions, and my asthma is completely controlled.

And yeah, I am not perfect on the flossing thing either. :eek: That one I fully admit to. <hanging head in shame>

Overall, I take issue with some of the questions they did ask, some they didn't ask, and their overall conclusions. I get teased all the time at work for being a health nut, a fitness fanatic, etc. and compared to my 40-50 year old peers at work, I feel like a spring chicken in appearance, attitude, energy level, and yet I only tested out 5 years younger than my actual age.

Emily, who really wanted to be in her 30s again.... :(

tygab
09-30-2006, 03:22 PM
I am 34 and it pegged me at 32. There were some good suggestions (ahem, more flossing, more fish etc), but I think I would have fared better if I hadn't seen the following (duh, yes I knew this) paraphrased in the opening of my little report:

"You have had a number of major life stresses this past year."

So hopefully next year I will be like 23! ;^)

-T

tygab
09-30-2006, 03:31 PM
oops and not sure if you all saw this but it may explain the blood pressure ding...

>>You estimated that your blood pressure is lower than average, and that would make your RealAge younger. It is very important to check your blood pressure regularly to be sure that it is as low as you estimated.<<

I agree, it's not a perfect test, but it is interesting and makes you think about what you are and aren't doing best for your health. Hopefully the test will evolve over time, some of this feedback might be very good to give the site!

I think not nearly enough women strength train (it complained about that for me too, and I typically do 1-2 times per week in addition to my other exercise), but heck, lots of women don't even exercise or walk.

Melstar
09-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Ah this test sux.. puts me older than i am.

DirtDiva
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sure I'd have fared a lot worse if they'd asked all the family history questions they didn't ask...

CR400
10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
28.5 years old for real here but my test came back 20.7 So I lost almost 8 years. I could have scored better had a lower BMI. I hate BMI because it is really a meaningless number that only works in thorey for people who are couch potatoes or lift weights seldom.

Raindrop
10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I came in at 45.5 and just turned 54 on Sunday. It also said that I exercised too much. Well yeah, I own my own business which is In-home Personal Training, plus I teach four indoor cycling classes weekly and I weight train for my own health four to five times weekly, in addition to outdoor riding as often as possible between clients and classes. This shouldn't ding you as a health deterient (sp?).

Consistent exercise is the key to health. There are a lot of weekend warriors out there that believe the weekend of exercise will excise the week of sedetary, overeating and overdrinking and that just isn't going to cut it!!

Likewise, diet is a little generalized here in that it doesn't take into account lean protein intake, healthful whole grains and that fruits are helpful when eaten whole, not dried or as juices.

This is just like any other test that is geared toward the general public. It has to generalise to offer a standardized result. Likewise the BMI, which I think is one of the worst indicators of obesity, besides scale weight, that is used on a consistent basis.

Frankly, how hard is it to train the staff in a medical office to use calipers to measure bodyfat? Or to take the waist/hip measurements to determine the probability of viseral fat?

OK...getting of my soapbox now and getting ready for bed.

GLC1968
10-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Bwaahahaha! I'm older because I don't drive a big car?! Give me a break. So, to make myself younger, I should buy a gas-guzzling SUV that polutes the air and ages the planet? Wrong.

All in all though...interesting test. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know (except that my car makes me older! :p ), but it's cool to see it all out in front of me. Oh, my real age is 33.2 when my actual age is 38.7. Not bad! :D

pooks
10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
I wonder why they want to know how much you drive and what size car? If they're using that to calculate the odds of you getting killed in an accident -- well, I assumed this was a health quiz. If you start figuring in all the OTHER stuff that can happen to you, its reliability seems to go right out the window, if it hasn't already.

That said, it was interesting and I'm waiting for mine now. And since I was already three years younger before I answered the final questions, I'm now happy to respond to "how old are you?" with my Real Age. Heh.