PDA

View Full Version : bars for a hybrid

pooks
09-28-2006, 07:17 AM
I know nothing about handlebars. Or bars. Or whatever the proper term is.

All this talk about different types made me curious, so I went to see what kind are on my bike and I still don't know. The website said:

Alloy Handlebars, 40mm rise

Oh, well, I just googled that and found a pic (only mine are silver) so I guess I do know what kind. It just doesn't have a name like "albatross."

http://www.amazon.com/Alloy-Handlebars-40mm-580mm-Black/dp/B000GAO348

So now I know they're cheap bars!

What kinds of bars work on a hybrid? I've noticed that by 8 or 10 miles, sometimes my wrists and/or hands give me a little trouble with pain or numbness. I work on changing the way I'm gripping the bars but there aren't many options.

I can post a pic of the bike if that helps. Well, I'll do that now, just in case.

http://planetpooks.wordpress.com/files/2006/05/runabout.jpg

I'm also considering other changes to it, but I guess I'll take them one discussion at a time in different threads.

Thanks.

mimitabby
09-28-2006, 07:38 AM
i thought you were getting a new bike!

okay. If your hands hurt that much sounds like the bike isn't fitting you right.
It's not the handlebars that are the problem. they are too far, or too low, or angled wrong..

pooks
09-28-2006, 07:41 AM
I want a new bike -- I can't afford a new bike!

They aren't killing me or anything. But then I've never ridden farther than 11 miles, either.

Sigh. I've raised the seat so that my legs are more comfortable and get more power. Let's see what that does to my hands.

As for the problem not being my bars -- okay, maybe not.

So, what are the reasons people use different kinds of bars?

Bicyclette
09-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Like Mimitabby said - they could be angled wrong..

I put bar ends on my hybrid to give me more grip options - I love them - I use them more than the top of the handlebar now - and the problems I was having with my thumbs has resolved itself. I also changed out the grips on the bar to a set for smaller hands - they have also helped

pooks
09-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Oh, thanks!

There are a lot of different kinds of bar ends, aren't there?

Why am I surprised? Hmmph!

SadieKate
09-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Width and degree bend in the bars can have a lot to do with wrist and hand pain. This thread below was specific to mountainbiking but much the same stuff applies.

Not all alloy bars are made the same. A lighter weight bar may absorb more road buzz than another.

Your forearms, wrists and hands should, in relationship to one another, be as straight as possible in all planes. If you hold the bar closer inboard or outboard does it make a difference? If your brakes levers are tipped too far upward and you ride with your fingers out over the levers, you'll cock your wrists upward.

Also, are you using a death grip on the bars?

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9026&highlight=flat+width

SadieKate
09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Pooks, does that bike have internal shifting or grip shift? I'm not sure what bar ends will work with GripShift.

KnottedYet
09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Moustache bars are pretty cool, but sometimes you have to switch your brake levers and shifters to something compatible with the bar.

xeney
09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
The good thing about moustache bars is that you can choose your bar to match your existing components. The one Rivendell sells is compatible with road bike levers. The (cheaper) one that Nashbar sells is compatible with mountain bike levers. They are a slightly different shape but pretty close.

7rider
09-29-2006, 05:04 AM
Pooks, does that bike have internal shifting or grip shift? I'm not sure what bar ends will work with GripShift.

My mountain bike has Gripshift, and it has bar ends (the short, stubby ones).
My DH's flat bar road bike also has GripShift, and it also has bar ends.
(edit: Oops...I read that as "not sure *that* bar ends will work.." rather than "WHAT bar ends work" Sorry! I can check for brand tonight - but I would think your LBS can help in that regard).

So, regardless, I think bar ends would be a good, cheap option to add some hand positions to the bike, and don't require replacing the whole bar (if the bar itself is adequate, of course, and it sounds like perhaps, Pooks, you can see if the angle of the bar and reach is okay for you).

recycle613
09-29-2006, 05:24 AM
I had my hybrid set up quite comfy with bar ends. First, though, I cut the bars narrower, put on ends and then opted for bar tape ... which made a nice uniform holding surface with lots of choices. Finally I realized I just prefer my hands parallel to the bike and went with drops. I also couldn't get my risers quite narrow enough for my comfort.

pooks
10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Oh wow, lots of replies since I read here.

I need to work my way through them and give this some more thought.

But yes, I have gear grips or whatever they are called, and the bar ends do work with them, because I had the LBS add them when I had my new armadillo nimbus tires put on -- which I LOVE LOVE LOVE.

The bar ends, not so sure about. Maybe because my bar is so wide that they just put my hands out wider but that doesn't help me a lot. The guy cocked them forward at the same angle my stem is angled forward, but said they could be twisted back toward me if that would help, and we could also work on the angle of the stem.

I've come to the conclusion that I can only ride and ride and ride until I learn more about my body and my bike, because people at bike stores always speak with such authority when they look at me and say, "Oh, this is what's wrong, let me adjust this," and I ride and it feels different but who knows if it's really better?

So the guy says we can change those angles and I think I should, but I'm not sure HOW yet. I'm going to read more, ride more, etc.

And drops -- are those the bars I associate with road bikes, curved under? I don't think I'd be able to use them with these gear grips... But I've been thinking I'd love to have them. I've been thinking I need a road bike eventually, though, so that's no surprise. Do people use drops with hybrids, ever?

pll
12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi pooks,

Did you ever get around the pain in your hands while riding? I was just looking at this thread and thought I'd recommend the grips I installed on my mountain bike -- from a German company called "Ergon". I have the "race" magnesium version, which has the longer bar ends (although they are small relative to most bar ends I have seen). These grips are extremely comfortable and I find the bar ends helpful for a different hand position.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=708
or (cheaper here)
http://store.airbomb.com/items.asp?CartId={46C97FB1-F375-4A81-A7CC-3B7C060F403EVEREST7}&Cc=131%2DT%2D499&iTpStatus=1&Tp=

Another modification in my bike was to cut half an inch from each side of the handlebar. With the original width, holding the handle bar closer to the stem was more comfortable on my wrists, hence the shortening...