PDA

View Full Version : Narrow and shallow drop handlebars??

zigzag17
03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm looking for narrow 36 or 37cm width handlebars with a shallow drop. I've read about the Salsa Moto Ace Short & Shallow Bar and Terry's, but wondering what else is out there. Also, I have very small hands and have trouble reaching the brake levers. Any suggestions?
p.s. for my road bike and future fixed gear

adkoch
03-23-2004, 04:09 AM
Not sure if you are talking Mtn or Road - I confess that I don't recognize those part names, but have you thought about the bull/cow horns? I have those on my tri bike and am thinking about putting them on my custom road bike, too, since I love them so much and never went into the drops on my current road bike, anyway (like the aero bars better!)... just a thought...

~Angie

emily_in_nc
03-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi zigzag,

I have used both the Terry t-bars (38cm) and now have the Salsa Poco bars (also short and shallow - very similar to the bar you are considering) on my new road bike. There are some definite differences between the two bars I'll try to explain.

The Terry t-bar is a bit narrower, in the same size (both are 38 cm). I believe Terry must measure the width outside to outside while Salsa must measure center to center, which is something to keep in mind. Terry bars do come in 36cm, and I am not sure if the Salsas do. One thing to keep in mind is that the narrower you go in width, the more squirrelly the front end of your bike can feel, although some people consider that "responsive". It can make standing to climb out of the saddle less smooth, for one thing. Unless your shoulders are really narrow, you might enjoy a 38 cm bar a bit more overall. I'm pretty small (size 4) and use a 38 with no problems. But if you've been measured and told that 36 cm is right for you, then go with that, of course.

The Terry bars have less straight "top" part of the bars - they start curving from the top into the drops sooner. I found this less than desirable as after I mounted my cyclocomputer and heart-rate monitor on the tops of the bars, I had very little room left for my hands if I wanted to ride on the tops (which I rarely do, but would like the option). A 36 cm bar would obviously have even less real estate on the top part of the bar. The Salsa bar has a flatter top part and very little curve til the drop part starts. It's hard to explain, but I like it a lot. It gives me more space for a cue sheet or my hands should I choose to use it.

Another difference in these bars is that the Salsa has an ergonomic drop curve vs. a regular round curve on the Terry. This affects you if you ride in the drops. At first, I didn't think I'd like the ergo curve because I was used to the Terry bars smooth, traditional rounded curve, but now that I've gotten used to the little "hump" in between my finger and thumb when I'm in the drops, I like it very much.

Both bars are short and shallow, which helps with reach to the brake levers and gears. Overall, I prefer the Salsa bar, but I was looking for a slightly wider bar, so this one fits me better. It's all a matter of preference, though as they feel and look slightly different, as well as being different in width.

If you have Shimano components, you should get the short-reach brake levers. I have those on my Terry (Ultegra), and they're a breeze to reach. Unfortunately, Campagnolo (which I have on my new Aegis and love) does not seem to make short-reach levers, but my hands aren't too small to manage the regular ones, fortunately.

I hope this helps! If you look at pictures at www.terrybicycles.com and on sites that sell Salsa bars, you should be able to see some of the differences I am describing, but without actually using both bars, it may be difficult to know which one you'd prefer. Good luck!

Emily

zigzag17
03-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi emily_in_nc,

I really appreciate all the info. After posting that message and more surfing, I happened on the Salsa Poco bars and thought they might be my best bet. I remember trying Terry bars back in 2001 when I got my bike, and not finding them quite right but don't recall exactly why. I'll see what's new on the Terry site.

Also, I've been contemplating the Shimano ST-R600 short reach levers but wondering if they'd make that much difference. Right now, I have a velcro shim in my 105's, and in warm weather with light-weight gloves it's not too bad, but in winter with lobster gloves, it's a little scary. I think I'll try out the Poco's and spring for the short-reach while I'm at it.

Holly

emily_in_nc
03-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Holly,

Glad I could be of help! If you get the Salsa Poco bars you'll have to let me know how you like them. Give yourself a few rides to get used to them before making up your mind. The first couple, I wasn't so sure since I was used to my Terry t-bars, but now I love my Pocos and wouldn't go back.

One other note, my LBS had installed the bars so that the ends of the drops were slanted downwards somewhat rather than straight across at the bottom. Some riders prefer the slant, because it brings the brake hoods closer to you up top, but I hated it since I felt like I was sliding right off the drops when I used them, and it caused my wrists to be cocked back at an uncomfortable angle. I rotated them back so that the drops are parallel to the ground, and now the bars are just perfect for me. If your brake hoods are too long a reach when you do that, they can be repositioned farther up, but you have to remove the handlebar tape. Fortunately mine were fine without having to go to that trouble. :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Emily