PDA

View Full Version : Happy dog with carrots!

KnottedYet
09-27-2006, 07:55 PM
My dog loves carrots, but they have to be warm carrots. I just toss a whole one into the microwave for a minute, then let it cool a bit.

I've started buying the giant bags of carrots at Costco so he can have a carrot a day. (he also gets a cooked egg, some plain yogurt, tastes of leftovers, and kibble)

Any other dogs out there who love veges?

Aggie_Ama
09-27-2006, 08:01 PM
My little Schnauzers have sensitive stomachs and carrots are one thing the vet suggested to substitute for store bought treats. The smaller one (the one in my avatar) has trouble chewing raw carrots and bores of them. I may try warming them up and seeing if she likes them better.

Kano
09-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Khan has salad with DH every evening -- DH buys the bag salad at Costco, and shares a handful every night. The first couple of weeks were pretty fragrant, but eventually...

Karen in Boise

velogirl
09-27-2006, 08:09 PM
My cavalier loves carrots (raw baby carrots). I give her these instead of processed/fatty doggie treats. She also loves green beans (raw or cooked). Tomatos don't work so well (she can't seem to bite them) although she likes to play with them.

SadieKate
09-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Cold, crispy and sweet for my dog. That means carrots, snap peas, pear, apple, etc., etc., etc. The little girl next door saves carrots and Cheerios just for Izaak.

kelownagirl
09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Angel and Gabe love all sorts of raw veggies. Whenever I make a salad, I just toss any scraps I don't want onto the floor and they wolf them down. Carrots, lettuce, the stem ends of tomatoes, whatever... Stuff my cat would never considering eating....

Bad JuJu
09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Gator, my sweet but nutty cocker spaniel, who passed away about 13 years ago, used to beg for the tough stalk of broccoli, which he would gnaw like a bone. What a nut!

Bad JuJu
09-27-2006, 08:18 PM
And my golden retriever (ca. same time period as Gator, the cocker) used to steal tomatoes out of my dad's garden. He kept chicken wire around the plants to keep rabbits out, but Sheena figured out how to work her snout under the wire and grab the tomatoes that grew lowest on the plants.

Cocoa, my current dog, likes seedless grapes.:D

Bicyclette
09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Our dog loves baby carrots - and she goes nuts over ice cubes - she loves 'em!!

velogirl
09-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Julie loves ice cubes too!

GLC1968
09-28-2006, 05:19 AM
My previous dog wouldn't eat anything but green beans and hummus, until I moved in with DH and he managed to convince her that she should eat carrots....but only when he gave them to her...not from me! She was a very picky eater probably because I never ever fed her any people food until I met DH. He spoiled her!

One of our current dogs loves all types of food, but is particulalry nuts about bananas. She'll smell when we are eating one when she is on the other side of the house and come running! Our other dog hasn't shown us his crazy food loves yet...he's only been with us a month, so we are learning!

I always thought all dogs loved ice cubes because every dog I've ever had was nuts about them. But our newest addition isn't interested in them at all. When we get ice, both dogs come running and when I give them each a cube, Maggie chomps up hers and then waits for Charlie to lose interest in his and then eats that one too. ;) I guess it's a dog-specific obsession!

Haudlady
09-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Zaboo, my Norwegian Elkhound mix, loves veggies... but not root vegetables! He won't eat carrots, potato, or onion (I know, onion isn't a root vegetable)... unless another dog is present and then he MUST eat it so the other dog doesn't get it! :rolleyes: He is particularly fond of zucchini and pattipan "ends," broccoli stems, apple cores, etc. He likes green pepper, but won't eat the seeds - he is careful to eat every other part of the pepper. There is always a little pile of white seeds on the rug when he is done.

He also likes eggs, so DH and I have to be careful where we put them when we are out gathering them from our chickens! And, he adores uncooked pasta! It's really funny to watch him chasing pieces of angel hair around with his nose; he has to position them just right to crunch down on them! :D

KnottedYet
09-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Oh, yeah, my dog loves baked potato skins. If I'm eating a baked potato he'll sit right there and looooooook at me until I'm done and give him the skin.

Nashville Mish
09-28-2006, 06:03 AM
My two very spoiled pups, Bear and Kai, each have different tastes. Bear is an American Eskimo/Japanese Spitz and Kai is a purebred Japanese Spitz. Both love pasta and most veggies. Kai is the bigger eater of veggies. Bear is very much a "guy" dog, he prefers pizza and if we are not careful beer! Kai loves fried rice and tacos. Funny how they each have a preference but if it is people food they will eat just about anything.

Do be careful about onions and garlic though. My vet told me not to give them raisins, onion, or garlic because it can cause serious problems in dogs and may even be fatal in large quantities.

I have to go enjoy a nice snack and figure out how to divide it evenly between the three of us :p

CyclChyk
09-28-2006, 06:40 AM
My chihuahua, Kong, absolutely LOVES carrots! I use that instead of dog bones (he hates dog bones). He also loves grapes (peeled of course), green peppers, tomatoes, onions (but I don't give it to him next to ever cuz onions are very bad for dogs); pretty much any vegetable. He prefers them over dog treats. He doesn't even like bacon! :eek: How's that for a confused dog???

Oh and Kong is also the lush of the family. He loves wine and booze even more than I do!!! Nothing funnier than a drunk Chi-wowow

Hub
09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Gizmo loves bananas, broccolli, cantaloupe, watermelon and grapes. Kasey,
the baby, is too young to have tried theses delights!

RoadRaven
09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh... this thread took me straight back to high school

My teacher had a black mogrel dog called Pokey, who used to dig up the organic carrots from his garden and chow down!!!

cherinyc
09-28-2006, 12:03 PM
I haven't really tried carrots with Biggie, unless a piece fell on the floor while cutting one up. He loves the grape tomatoes - but he has to chase them around for a few minutes first. I used to give him grapes, but I was told that they cause kidney problems in dogs. Every once in a while I will give him one though.
My ex gave Biggie some Prime Rib grissle (the fatty stuff) once, which he loved, but Biggie ended up with bloody stool afterwards. We took him to the vet and it turned out he had Ulcerative Colitis which was aggravated by fatty foods. The funny part about this was that my ex had colitis too, so dog and ex were on the same medication.
Now that he's my "ex" I think maybe I should've seen that as a sign. Though I like my dog a WHOLE lot more, so I'd hate to knock Biggie down to ex's level.

newfsmith
09-28-2006, 12:31 PM
This is a relatively newly discovered toxicosis of dogs. So far, it does not appear to be related to pesticide use as cases have occurred in dogs that had eaten organic grapes. The agent is still unknown, so "safe" levels can not be determined. There have been cases reported of dogs that have habitually "harvested" grapes from home vines for years that suddenly developed toxicity. The safest thing to do is to avoid them altogether as treats for your pets, certainly no more than 1 or 2 should be given in a week, but even that amount has caused problems. http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16645 If the poison control link sparks your interest, google on "dogs + grapes +toxicity" to get lots of other leads.

I know how much we all love our dogs, but this is something lots of people, including vets, aren't aware of.

cherinyc
09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Re: grape and raisin toxicity
that's crazy. it's like the same effect that anti-freeze has on an animal. I lost a cat that way once, when he must've licked at a puddle of anti-freeze off a neighbor's driveway. Apparently it tastes like sugar water to animals.

eclectic
09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Last night our dog "Tank" Breed: over the fence, was doing her usual laying around the kitchen looking forlorn act (she knows I never feed her anything while we are cooking or eating) when I dropped a piece of celery, of course she had to jump up run over sniff it, then go back and dejectedly lay down - celery - not on list of favorite foods.
I then dropped a mushroom and whoosh it was gone - mushrooms - many points, but if they are in leftover spaghetti sauce she will eat around them just like a kid - go figure:)

KnottedYet
09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
CherinyC - "ex"? Did I miss something?

crazybikinchic
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I never knew that so many dogs like ice. Taquana will run to the refridgerator when we are getting into the ice (he like's it after our morning run). He also likes popcorn. All I have to do is rattle the package to open it and he goes crazy. He is so impatient, he sits and stares at the microwave.

CyclChyk
09-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Regarding the potatoes I fogot to mention how much my chi loves RAW potatoes.... prefers raw rather than cooked potatoes; well, unless its a french fry (which is no longer on my diet :( )

Anybody else feed their pets with a fork?? All 4 of mine eat with a fork very well! Well, almost all 4. My boxer is just now getting the hang of it but his flappy gums sometimes get in the way.

chickwhorips
09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
i'm jealous of these dogs that get to eat veggies. real and fresh veggies! if something like that dropped on the floor here i would fight both my dogs for it!

then again they get salmon for dinner instead of precious veggies. they do like ice cubes and snow i swear is like pixie stix for them.

Ocultica
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Chloe Loooves carrots! And eggplant, and raw potatoes ( We found this out when we caught her digging them up in the garden and gnawing on them.)
She also likes ice. She likes to bat it arond before she eats it. Or leaves it in your shoe. Her favorite is granny smith apples with a tiny bit of peanut butter. Other than veggies, we don't give her people food. We've unfortunately seen the damage it can do to a dog that gets too much of the wrong stuff.

pepe6599
09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Abarendo (chihuahua) doesn't eat vegs or bread; he'll play with it, throw it in the air and catch it with his mouth then he give it to our other dog.

Abby (chihuahua) and Ace (staff. bull terrier) will eat anything and everything, but they love poi.

Makana ( labrador) will take a coconut, skin it, and then try to eat. It's quite amusing to see his do that.

CyclChyk
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Ocultica - Chloe is BEAUTIFUL!!! My dogs would LOVE her (expecially my boxer)!!!

Chicwhorips - off subject but is it true what they say about Alaska having 10 guys for every gal?? Those odds sound like they can be fun!

MomOnBike
09-28-2006, 05:30 PM
The late and greatly lamented Vrka would eat any vegetable she could get ahold of - and she was alwas trying to get ahold of food. I'm including jalapenos, here, too. (I know she tasted that one, I heard it crunch, and she licked her chops for a long time afterward.) She'd eat tomatos, including the vine, I had to fence her away from the broccoli, and she made herself sick once on peaches.

EDIT: Elder daughter has fond memories of going out into the garden, pulling up radishes and feeding them to Vrka.

My other dogs have had, um, more refined tastes. Right now, Monty is getting canned green beans every night to help with his rather finicky digestion.

chickwhorips
09-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Chicwhorips - off subject but is it true what they say about Alaska having 10 guys for every gal?? Those odds sound like they can be fun!

in some bush communities yes that is true, but in anchorage no. there is more women than men.

they also say this (which is VERY true): The odds are good, but the goods are odd. ;)

Kano
09-28-2006, 08:40 PM
CyclChik --

both Sneak and Cassius were EXCELLENT fork feeders. Their flappy boxer lips didn't slow them down one wee bit! Khan is pretty good with a fork too.

Cassius was especially good with the kids' sippy cups....

(Sneak loved strawberries -- I had a strawberry patch that was supposed to be "everbearing" but for some reason seemed to be "neverbearing" instead. Then I discovered, one day when I saw one almost ready to pick: he was swiping them!)

Karen in Boise

cherinyc
09-29-2006, 06:14 AM
CherinyC - "ex"? Did I miss something?

By "ex" I am referring to my ex-husband, who I left a year ago (and should've left much much sooner). Me and current BF (the one who lead me to cycling) are still going strong!!:D

Thanks for caring though.:)

Melstar
09-30-2006, 10:39 PM
My dog loves carrots, but they have to be warm carrots. I just toss a whole one into the microwave for a minute, then let it cool a bit.

I've started buying the giant bags of carrots at Costco so he can have a carrot a day. (he also gets a cooked egg, some plain yogurt, tastes of leftovers, and kibble)

Any other dogs out there who love veges?

I've got 3 dogs. They all love eating fruits! But they more or less eat whatever i'm having for dinner, so it'll be japanese rice and beef, and they'll have the left overs someitmes.

ALthough i find that they don't seem to like jelly and agar. Usually they give the jelly desert a couple of sniffs and just walk away.

Trek420
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Mae loves carrots, I buy a bag of baby carrots. At the vets suggestion they replace some treats, also put leafy greens in with her kibble. She could stand to loose a lb or two like her Mom. She's lost 7 lbs which in dog weight is quite good!

That's mostly a credit to Mary, her dog walker.

One of her favorite games is "find it".

Dog does a long stay in one room while I wander the condo and hide the treats in another room, release her with "find it!". Maes job is find the room and the treats. To make it more interesting sometimes I load the treats in a toy.

I was talking to this customer at work (who works for advocacy group Marin cyclists so if you're lurking...thanks) a cheap recycleable dog toy is egg cartons!

Load egg carton with healthy dog treats of choice, close carton (use the paper type not plastic of course) hide or just give to dog.

Watch happy dog work to open the carton. Recycle remains of carton. Messy but fun for dog.

Pascale
10-01-2006, 01:55 PM
My 16 month old female Borzoi "shops" in the garden for whatever she likes. This year she has picked EVERY melon we had before it was big enough for us to pick. She would pull radishes and eat them - her FAVORITE was kohlrabi - which I ended up planting in the very middle of the garden because she kept pulling the plants before they had developed. She picked every cucumber that she could find before I could get to them as well...

Selkie
10-02-2006, 04:31 AM
And my golden retriever (ca. same time period as Gator, the cocker) used to steal tomatoes out of my dad's garden. He kept chicken wire around the plants to keep rabbits out, but Sheena figured out how to work her snout under the wire and grab the tomatoes that grew lowest on the plants.

Cocoa, my current dog, likes seedless grapes.:D

Watch out for the grapes, as they are on the "don't give to dogs" list.

Goldens will eat almost everything. My three goldens love lettuce, cantaloupe, carrots, tuna, bananas, yogurt, whipped cream, any kind of meat, etc. If they see me eating it, they want a bite. A guy at work has a golden, Annie, who came across a deer carcass in the woods. She was feasting on it until her dad came upon her impromtu picnic. He had a hard time getting her away from it!!

7rider
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
My guys, Noah and Tasha, LOVE veges!!
Carrots, red and green lettuce, cilantro. Why, they're bigger salad eaters than DH and me! Oh....and don't get between them and a slice of banana, unless you want to lose a finger!
But, oh....
wait...
They're rabbits!
Bwahahaha!!! :D :D :D
Sorry...no pups, but I enjoy reading about the fun things they get into (even if you don't consider them digging up your garden "fun"!).

emily_in_nc
10-02-2006, 11:05 AM
My guys, Noah and Tasha, LOVE veges!!
Carrots, red and green lettuce, cilantro. Why, they're bigger salad eaters than DH and me!

You had me going there!

As I read this, before I got to the punchline, I was thinking "Lettuce? Cilantro?" My Boston Terrier, who eats just about anything, won't touch things like that - weird texture, no taste, I guess.

But a rabbit....it all becomes clear! :D

Emily