PDA

View Full Version : is just water enough?

uk elephant
09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I keep seeing recommendations to carry (and drink) both water and sports drinks like Gatorade and such. I never have. Is that bad? I really don't like the taste of the isotonic drinks (at least not any of the ones I've tried so far). They remind me of not very plesant things such as colonoscopies (had to drink stuff mixed with gatorade to clean out the system before colonoscopies and surgery).

I have a lot of experience with long days of endurance type stuff such as hiking for days in the mountains (months even) and I have always just carried water (and perhaps a cup of tea or cocoa to warm me up for lunch). Now that I am picking up the miles on my cycling though, I'm wondering if water is enough. I've been drinking at least 6 pints of water a day and still feeling thirsty. And I'm always craving salt, which I assume is because of sweating so much. Replenishing salts with crisps and pretzels is maybe not the best idea.

So what should I do? Will just increasing my water intake be enough? Should I force down some gatorade and try to keep it down? Or are there better suggestions out there? Lately I've been mixing in a bit of blackcurrant squash inbetween the water hoping that that might help.....

AuntieK
09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Here's my .02:
It's not necessary to drink anything but water. Gatorade and other such drinks are just an easy, convenient way to get in the carbs and electrolites that you do need. There are other ways to get the carbs and electrolites, so I say if you don't like the energy drinks, stick with water. Just make sure that you are getting the other things some other way, like crisps and pretzels, if you're riding for more than an hour.

salsabike
09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Water is definitely enough for me--it's the only drink I ever take with me. My doc, who is a major cyclist and mountain climber, told me when I asked about this that she used to date a guy on the US Olympic team nutrition committee, and he said that if you eat foods like PB&J, water is absolutely enough. I've now done some VERY long rides this way (e.g., 206 miles in one day on a tandem in July) and have never bonked or gotten cramps yet. There are lots of others who swear by their sports drinks. So...whatever works for you.

Eden
09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree with AuntieK. You don't necessarily need to use drinks if you have other souces of electrolyes and energy and then only if you are riding for more than 1 hour. There are some gels that also contain electrolytes that specify that actually do not recommend using anything besides water with them to prevent stomach upset.
If you want to get your electrolytes in your drink, but don't like sports drinks there are some colorless, tasteless products or just mix some honey and sea salt into your bottle (I have a team mate who swears by her mix of honey and salt even for racing)

margo49
09-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I make my own with a development of a recipe I got off a Simple/Frugal site.

1/2 tsp salt
4 dstsp glucose/fructose/sugar
one lemming (squeezed)
made up to 1 litre with water

You can vary the flavouring - sometimes I use pomegramate syrup, orange in season or some left-over juice or soft-drink.
I read something from the UN/UNICEF/WHO years ago that they field tested and recommended for babies in 3rd world etc with stomach upsets . It was the same basic theory- lots of water, a tiny bit of salt and a very little sugar .
As long as you are actually eating in general I think you don't have to worry about minor salts you sweat out. (Unless your riding ultra-distances which I at least am not even contemplating)

Trek420
09-27-2006, 07:21 PM
UK, that's great that you are experimenting with food. It's good to find out what fuels you ride on.

I've told people that you train your stomach for the AIDS ride and your legs. On the ride you'll be encouraged to drink both sports bev and water all the time. But if you prefer another way just do that.

If there's a sports bev that you like pack some in bulk because Gatorade is what they have. By then you should know what works for you. Honey and sea salt (that sounds good, really!) there will be honey, bring sea salt for example.

Now's the time to experiment.

Margo, instead of a squeeze of lemming, can you use lime hee hee

JK, or maybe you know that UK studies lemmings. She's lemmingdoc ;-)

~aunt Trek

Eden
09-27-2006, 09:58 PM
:D :D :D sorry Margo, but I got a really good laugh out of a squeezed lemming...

My other favorite typo was the guy who was wondering if anyone else had been chased by a viscous dog.....

Bicyclette
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
one lemming (squeezed)

:eek: I don't think I want to squeeze a lemming!!! ;) :D

uk elephant
09-28-2006, 12:20 AM
I have squeezed many a lemming in my studies. They don't make for a very good sportsdrink. Either very squeeky with vicious (or viscous?) teeth, or when dead very smelly.

I told BF about my question about water vs sports drinks. He suggests I try something called Barely Water. Apparently it is what the cricketers and tennins players and footballers used before the invention of isotonic sports drinks. I'm a bit skeptical about a fruit squash made with barley, but he says it's good. I'll give it a try next week. Problem will be how to find it in CA next year if it works.

Otherwise I will just stick to the plan of drinking more water and juice and eating healthy snacks often. Don't want to overdo the crisps with all the fat, but pretzels may be better.

Bron
09-28-2006, 03:21 AM
I told BF about my question about water vs sports drinks. He suggests I try something called Barely Water. Apparently it is what the cricketers and tennins players and footballers used before the invention of isotonic sports drinks. I'm a bit skeptical about a fruit squash made with barley, but he says it's good. I'll give it a try next week. Problem will be how to find it in CA next year if it works.

Otherwise I will just stick to the plan of drinking more water and juice and eating healthy snacks often. Don't want to overdo the crisps with all the fat, but pretzels may be better.

My mother used to make me drink barley water - it's supposed to be good for cystitis, but personally, I prefer the taste of cranberry juice.

Have you tried eating marmite for the salt cravings? My sister and I both eat marmite on toast after sports. Obviously this won't help if you are one of those people who can't stand marmite.

Bron

Trek420
09-28-2006, 05:30 AM
uk elephant "I have squeezed many a lemming in my studies. They don't make for a very good sportsdrink."

besides if you drink lemming hydration bev wouldn't you and the whole group would ride off the cliff? :p

rocknrollgirl
09-28-2006, 08:29 AM
LOL at my desk.....

riding off the cliff....made me think of Cliff bars.....and it just continues...

CRISPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

susiej
09-28-2006, 10:06 AM

The Korean grocery near me (HMart in Philly) sells barley for making barley tea, barley tea bags, and pre-made barley tea. Check out the Korean and Asian grocery stores when you get to California.

RoadRaven
09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't do endurance rides so cannot speak from the perspective.

I only ever take water whether training or racing or commuting (2-3hours max).

My partner and eldest son do a 90-170km training ride every Sunday, so they are several hours "on the bike". They take one bottle of plain water and one bottle with plain glucose dissolved in it. They top up the plain water at when the bunch stops to wait for everyone at schools. If they know it will be over 100km they will take Leppin's with them. (They always take a handful of muesli bars, although they often come home uneaten)

As for lemmings, I guess well squeezed and filtered they might just work - don't want that fur stuck in the back of your throat like a crusty bike bar though!

margo49
09-29-2006, 03:49 AM
IAs for lemmings, I guess well squeezed and filtered they might just work - don't want that fur stuck in the back of your throat like a crusty bike bar though!

If Diddums is so sensitive then Diddums can put the lemming in the Juicer. Remember to push down really hard on the pusher-downer thingy so you get all the nutrition out of the lemming. And to make sure you get their viscous little teef ground up fine - calcium you know .
Very expensive are organic lemmings out of season.
Of course you could always collect a year's supply *in* season (net them mid-air half-way down the cliff) and dehydrate them over at DebW's...just add water , glucose/fructose and salt for Instant Lemming flavoured re-hydrating beverage.
And Yes Trek420 you can use lime. Pleasant citrus-y notes. I have used lime too, but lemmings are more plentiful here (as there are no really worthwhile cliffs apart from the one described in Matthew Ch. 8 : v. 32 and the Top Predators there were not lemmings). Also I doubt that lemmings are kosher.

Trek420
09-29-2006, 06:41 AM
margo49 "Also I doubt that lemmings are kosher."

Even without cheese? :confused: I know my lemming cheese n' bacon burger is not kosher. But plain? Probably not, they don't have hoves right?

mtkitchn
09-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the laughs this morning!!!
I never had any problem on my longer rides (65-75 miles) with just water. I usually have a couple gels and a kashi bar or something along the way. Those sports drinks just seem to make me thirstier.