PDA

View Full Version : electrolyte supplements?

Brandi
09-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Nanci metioned electrolyte supplements on a thread. Does anyone know exactly what she is talking about? On a trip i experienced Bonk because i was not replenishing my electrolytes enough. I just could not drink the sweet sports drink. I just don't like them, but I forced myself to after my Bonk. I washed it down with a gulp of water to get rid of the sweet taste. But are there supplements? Or what is out there that is not so darn sweet?

SadieKate
09-27-2006, 09:07 AM
You don't bonk because of a lack of eletrolytes. Bonking is from a lack of calories. A simple sports drink should not be your only source of calories on long days - particularly on a multi-day trip.

Electrolyte loss can account for such things as cramping and spasms.

Search the forums for electrolytes, e-caps, endurolytes, etc.

skibum
09-27-2006, 09:09 AM
I use endurolytes from Hammer Nutrition (http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=ELECT&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104). It's supplement you can take to help replenish your electrolytes during a ride.

There's lots of other products out there. You may need to experiment some to find what works for you.

wavedancer
09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
There are lots of choices out there, and I have only tried two of them for electrolyte replacement. I tried HEED by Hammer but found it had an unpleasant aftertaste, maybe from the xylitol or stevia they use as sweetener. The other I have tried and really like is Gookinaid. My BF has used it for many years as a racer and it is not at all sweet, but a refreshing lemon or orange flavor. It goes down and is easier on my stomach than plain water and has prevented the cramping I was getting when I first started doing longer rides this summer. Gookinaid (http://gookinaid.com/index.htm)

The bonking is probably from lack of calories. I started using some Hammer gel (unflavored) and it has worked well for me. But mostly I have found Fig Newman's to be my food of choice while riding. One old-time racer at my LBS suggested making squashed sandwiches with peanut butter and jelly or thin slices of turkey on potato bread, squishing them flat and cutting into quarters to carry in a jersey pocket.