PDA

View Full Version : Fenders

GLC1968
09-27-2006, 06:51 AM
What is the purpose of fenders?

DH and I were talking about this last night and while we know that they keep the water from splashing off the tires/road, why do we see them listed as 'essential' when commuting? I mean, if it's raining, you are going to get wet...whether you have fenders or not, right? Or do they really work that well?

I can see how they would be good for touring, where you could be out in the rain for hours on end and where a wet pack would REALLY suck...but for commuting?

Tell me why you love your fenders (or why you hate them?)!

Thanks!

mimitabby
09-27-2006, 06:53 AM
without a back fender you get a stripe of filthy water up your backside.

it's uncomfortable, unsightly, and makes a person feel like an idiot.

KnottedYet
09-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Fenders make a huge difference in how wet you get on a commute. I'd guess about 90% of the water I was getting soaked with on my commute was coming from my own wheels.

Once I got fenders I was amazed by how much drier I was. Even my shoes!

miffy'sFuji
09-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Part of my commute goes along a bike path in the park in my city. Early in the morning (before I get there) they have the sprinklers on. It is amazing how much even the thinnest film of water splashes up.

I don't have fenders, but often wish I did. I change once I get to work (and I usually need to!).

One time I made the mistake of riding through a few wet leaves. There weren't many, but they splashed up some chunks of dirt as high as my glasses. oops.

Blueberry
09-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Fenders also keep the spray off the bike - most noteably the drive train. Less wear and tear (and cleanup) from the icky road water mixed with grit!

GLC1968
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow...so fenders really do keep one that much dryer? VERY interesting!

Oh, and Carrie Anne...that totally makes sense about protecting the bike as well. I hadn't thought about that!

Eden
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
plus, if you ever intend to ride with someone else and it is raining a nice pair of fenders with a good buddy flap (an extra flap attached to the rear fender, generally homemade, sometimes from half a water bottle) will make the whole experience much nicer and cleaner for them.

velogirl
09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Or, if you're riding on wet roads (post-rain) and you won't get wet from rain, fenders will prevent getting wet from splash.

In groups, fenders are pretty much required during wet weather. Nothing worse than trying to sit on someone's wheel and getting sprayed.

And fenders are great for putting reflective tape on!!!

light_sabe_r
09-27-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm not getting a wet butt anymore since I got mine. I'd wait at work for the rain to stop only to get a soaked backside anyway. it's made a huge difference to my comfort level.

I've got one of those quick release detachable ones. My main grief with it is it moves around a LOT.

MomOnBike
09-28-2006, 05:14 PM
On a recumbent a front fender prevents you from getting a lap or face full of Gawd Only Knows What :eek: The back one keeps the stripe off the backside of your head.

Geonz
09-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Fenders are IMO more important for commuting than long rides - street grunge is grungier! And... what everybody else said too :-) and they help add to one's Fred Factor~

GLC1968
09-29-2006, 06:04 AM
I think I'll now be adding fenders to my 'need to buy list'. :D

SadieKate
09-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Fenders are IMO more important for commuting than long rides - street grunge is grungier! And... what everybody else said too :-) and they help add to one's Fred Factor~Hey,speak for your own roads. You ever raced on rainy rural roads during tomato harvest? Fenders sure would have been nice.

7rider
09-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey,speak for your own roads. You ever raced on rainy rural roads during tomato harvest? Fenders sure would have been nice.

Geez, I can't even imagine that one!
I'm trying to do the math here....Rain + rural roads + tomatoes = :confused: ?

SadieKate
09-29-2006, 08:18 AM
It equals riding through greasy rotting tomato paste.

7rider
09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
It equals riding through greasy rotting tomato paste.

EW!
Yuck!