PDA

View Full Version : Storm Season Hath Begun

light_sabe_r
09-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm sitting here at my desk waiting for the rain to calm down. Nup it ain't happening.

In brissie from Oct to Nov we get thunderstorms very frequently... some cases morning and afternoon for a week... At least that's what happened when I was a kid.

I've got my wet weather gear and all the lights and stuff in my saddlepack... and my bike's screaming for me not to leave it at the hospital overnight so public transport's outta the question.

Anyhue. It's started... On days like this should I risk the wet weather and low visibility, the maniacs on the road and the flooded bike paths and just go... Or should I just call a freaking cab?? (I'm a tightarse!)

crazycanuck
09-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Light,

Is it possible to stop & hide under an awning or something on your bike ride if it starts to bucket down?

I'd ride albiet very slowly...

I'm not sure how Brissie is planned out & can't really remember the bike path situation either..Anywho, does the bike path follow the train line like it does here? Perhaps you could take the train if it is raining and then just get off once it stops?

c

Geonz
09-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Keep your arse tight and your presence bright!!

We, too, are supposed to get some stuff today... but we are somehow in an area that gets a lot less stuff; it just calms down right before it gets to shampoo-banana (Champaign-Urbana). Hopefully the same wil happen, but I wore my mesh waterfall-climber shoes anway (thanks, steepa nd cheap!) just in case...

margo49
09-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I remember that about Brizzie.
I remember hailstones as big as chook eggs .

light_sabe_r
09-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Well I got home safe enough. Checked out the BOM site before I left and all the heavy rain and hail was up the sunshine coast.

Was thunder but rain was easing and no wind so it wasn't too bad.

I was lit up like a christmas tree on my way home, but still think some reflective ankle straps wouldn't go astray in weather like that. My tire rims are more reflective than my reflectors so I suppose it it doesn't really matter side on.

crazycanuck,

there aren't many awnings on my commute. The only one is the SOUTH EAST EXPRESSWAY. which is real close to work. I did keep to the bike paths which lucky for me hadn't flooded over yet... although the creek was lapping the base of the pedestrian bridge AGAIN.

My bike path DOES follow the train line, only if I was gonna catch it it'd be a waste of time because I'd jump on the train at work and hop off at the next stop anyway and still get wet riding home. :P

Oh well least it didn't hail. ^_^ I'm thining about keeping a set of surf sandals at work now for those sudden rainy afternoons. My shoes were still soaked this morning and I don't think getting them wet too often is good for them.

Geonz
09-28-2006, 05:43 AM
Yea, I hate the day-after-drenchings. I ride in regular shoes so I've got more options, though, and I just got some ugly meshy things (outlet special) that are doing really well for rainy days. I'm still a little afraid that if I get too much gear for rain, it will rain on me more than 3 times a year. I have this arrangement with the frontal systems...

Veronica
09-28-2006, 05:49 AM
My shoes were still soaked this morning and I don't think getting them wet too often is good for them.

Did you stuff them with newspaper? That speeds drying time.

V.

Geonz
09-28-2006, 06:36 AM
DOn't put 'em too close to the toaster :) (HOw would I know???)