PDA

View Full Version : The "dark side" influenced our house buying

Aggie_Ama
09-26-2006, 09:24 PM
DH and I just put in the purchase agreement on our first house last night. One of the most exciting things is we can ride out of the neighborhood and onto some of the best riding in our area! The local cycling club has one ride out there nearly every weekend. Hills and quiet county roads await us after we close on November 7. We narrowed down our choice to two areas and one reason we decided to go with this one because the other would require us to drive to find safe riding. Oh yeah, the bikes will have their own room until we have kids. :D

LBTC
09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Congratulations! Owning a home is something wonderful and scary all bundled into one. I like your priorities! We previously lived where biking was easy to ride to in any direction. Here is different, but we'll find our way through it over time....at least we only gas up the car once a month, since we walk to work and school every day. Yes, that and a fenced yard on a quiet street for our furbabies, were the priorities for us.

Namaste,
~T~

kaybee
09-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Congratulations! You know what they say: "Location, location, location." ;)

KB

Bikingmomof3
09-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Congratulations on your first house!! :) Had I been a cyclist when we moved, I probably would be living in a more bike friendly area. :)

KnottedYet
09-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like you have very good priorities!

(my bikes want their own room, but think they might get lonely. They are now in the livingroom of my apt where they can be part of the action at all times. And where they can hold my laundry as it dries.)

bikerchick68
09-27-2006, 01:35 PM
very cool! congrats on your new home... I got SO lucky... was not a cyclist when I bought my house... but can ride from it in just about every direction... all rides from my place include a decent amount of climbing except 1 route I know of that's flat... sure is nice to leave the garage and just be able to ride! :D

pepe6599
09-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Congrats on the new house.. Ohh happy day!!

Lucky for me i live in between a beach and the mountains but the city we live in is so not bike/runner friendly. When I get my bike or want to run i need to drive to the next city over. I guess thats the price in living in paradise.

7rider
09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Congratulations on becoming a home owner! A thrilling experience - terrifying and exciting at the same time!
I don't think I slept for the first week after I bought my first house (a townhouse, actually)! I was a wreck!
But, yes, bike riding was a factor in the purchase of both my TH and the current house my DH and I bought!
As Kaybee said..."Location, location, location!"

CyclChyk
09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
I am so jealous!!! My home is not near safe places to ride so we have to drive to a riding destination.

Congrats on your home!!!! Just a word of advise - your first home purchase is always very stressful because you don't know what to expect or ask. Remember - no question is stupid and if you wonder about anything at all, ask your agent or lender. I work with so many first time homebuyers that would have had a much smoother, less stressful process had they only asked the questions they had in their head.

Can't wait to get an update when you are all moved in and go for your first ride! Keep us posted!

fixedgeargirl
09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Congrats, Ama!! And may I also congratulate you on your sense of priorities as well ;) !

May I ask where you bought?

Aggie_Ama
09-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all congrats and advice. I have been doing all the work since DH works long hours, it is very stressful. Finance was not my favorite subject, so talking about it makes me dizzy. I made a very hard earned B in that class and wish I understood more. Sometimes I ask the loan officer or realtor the same thing in three different ways, I am determined to know what we are getting into!

Fixed- We are buying in Liberty Hill. Everytime we ride out there it is a quiet and challenging. :D We liked the same floorplan in Georgetown, but the neighborhood was too far in town.

I can say the other priority, our furbabies, will be getting a very nice backyard to play in. They have patiently waited through four apartments for a place to run and play off their leashes.