PDA

View Full Version : 9/24/06 Tri Girl Duathlon Bloomington, MN

roshelleuop
09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
The Tri Girl Duathlon in Bloomington, MN was yesterday and I enjoyed ever moment!!!! The event coordinators did a FABULOUS job and I would HIGHLY recommend the other Tri Girl events to all TE ladies!!!! There was everything from professionals to first timers. See the website at http://www.irongirl.com/bloomington/index-bloom.html for other Tri Girl events. :p :p :p :p

Weather ~ 65F and sunny (little chilly when I got there, but absolutely perfect running and riding weather!) :cool:
Distance ~ 2 mile run, 22 mile bike, 2 mile run
Total participants (signed up) ~ 600 (limited to keep event small)
Total participants (attended) ~ 507
Total finished ~ 502
My Age Group ~ 26-30
My Total Time ~ 2hr 25mn 03sec
My Age Rank ~ 75/95
My Overall Rank ~ 408/507
Goal for the day ~ to run all 4 miles with OUT walking :eek:

Pre-Race Routine:
Woke up at 5:00 am (I was very happy because my last event I had to wake up at 3:00 am), stumbled into the shower, consumed my power bar, 2 bananas, a gatorade and 2 bottles water, threw a pillow at DH to wake him up, then we headed to event at 6:00 am. Transition didn't open until 6:30 so I tried to sneak in as much sleep as possible. DH dropped me off, setup transition, (I love only having to setup for run/bike, no swimming, yahoo!!!), walked around to get familiar with transition directions, used restroom, then started warm up (10 minutes of stretching, 10 minutes jogging, 10 minutes stretching, 10 minutes jogging, one last set of stretches).

RUN:
7:30 am mass start and it was really cool as it was 500 or so women all standing in a huddle to stay warm since the sun was barely up. The gun sounded and I let the crazy ladies that will run you over to save 3 seconds go past (you know who you are;) ), then off on my run. I ran the entire 2 miles, woohoo!!!! It took me 25min and 41sec but I didn't walk!!! I was 489/507 so I'm DEFINITELY going to work on my running for next season!!!! The route was absolutely beautiful and I met a few women that were a blessing to run with :D :D :D

BIKE:
The run was alot easier than I thought it would be, so I wish I would have ran faster, but I didn't walk and that's all I cared about. Grabbed my bike and I was off!!! The 100 or so women that passed me on the run unfortunately got passed by me during the bike! I finished the 22 miles in 1hr 28min which was 322/507 and 59/95 in my age group. ALOT better than my run huh?!?!?!?!?! The ride was also absolutely beautiful and the traffic cops did an awesome job!!! It was mostly rolling hills and there were some pretty decent ones here and there, but nothing too bad thank goodness:) . Also, it was two 10 mile loops, so I knew the course the second time around which was really nice!

RUN:
So my goal was to run the whole way and I was going to do this no matter what it took. I got off my bike and started feeling the "why aren't my legs working" feeling, but I kept going and threw my bike into transition, threw on runnig shoes, and was off again. The first 1/2 mile was yucky becuase I didn't have my running legs yet, but I knew the feeling would go away soon and kept going. I felt like I was running soooo slow, but was still passing ladies that were walking. And of course, about 20 or so of the ladies I passed on the bike, were now passing me on the run (I hate when that happens ;) ) DH met me 1/4 mile from the finish line and says, ok, lets sprint to the end~~well my head was saying YES YES GO GO, but my legs were screaming NO NO YOU ARE CRAZY :eek: . So I kept my regular pace and finished the 2nd run in 26min 5sec and I DIDN'T WALK!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Event Comments:
The coordination of this event was incredible. Registration was easy online and there was constant notification e-mails sent out. Packup pickup the day before, I was able to sign in and pick everything up within 5 minutes. Granted there were only 600 participants, but things were run very well. The commentator was my favorite part!!!! Every time I came into transition, he always had something cute to say. During T1, he says, "now here comes Roshelle, one of our better dressed athletes of the day" and starts describing my pearl izumi shorts and arm warmers, with a light blue jersey, etc. It was hilarious!!!! Then at the finish line he announced my full name, said what city I was from, and thanked me for joining the other tri girl athletes. It really feels great to hear your name on a loud speaker when crossing the finish line and to be called an athlete. It really makes all the hours or training worth it!!! Last but not least, the traffic patrol was phenominal. There wasn't a single intersection where I had to break (and there were a few big ones). There was police at every single interesection, even small condo duplex entrances and exits. I would HIGHLY reccomend TRI GIRL events to all triathletes, new or experienced. It was a wonderful and experience and I can't wait until registration opens so I can sign up for next year!!!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee :D :D
http://wisconsinbetties.blogspot.com/

Lise
09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Wow, Roshelle, that sounds Extraordinary! I am so happy for you, and what a great report. I love all the detail. The commentator sounds so fun! It really, really does make a difference. I know when I finished the marathon and they pronounced my name correctly "Lisa", even though it's spelled Lise, it made the triumph that much sweeter. How funny that for a women-only event the guy knew to describe your clothes. :p Your DH sounds like a great guy, too. And, finally, I didn't know you were such a young pup!
My Age Group ~ 26-30 I think everybody here is my age. Older women? My age. Younger women? My age. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on such a great race. I will definitely keep my eye out for Tri Girl events in the future. :D L.

PS, I hadn't really thought about duathlon much, but 2/run-22/bike-2/run sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe they'll do some closer to Chgo in the years to come.

colby
09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Congrats, roshelle! It sounds great. No walking, yay :D

Tri Girl
09-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Way to go, Roshelle! I'm so happy for your race! It sounds like everything went as planned for you, and you know you can do it!!! Congrats on running the whole way (doesn't matter the time, just that you did it). I'm so thrilled for you!!!!! :)

Oh, and I want to thank you for the quote you gave me (the thing your husband told you before your tri). I said that on the bike when I had my low point- and it helped me out. Thanks for giving me that ace in the hole!

KSH
09-26-2006, 06:02 AM
Great job!!! :D

Looks like you reached your goals... and had a wonderful race! Who could ask for more?

Thanks for sharing your race report!

mtbdarby
09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Awesome job Rochelle! Sounds like such a neat experience and dh sounds like a doll too.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on those races. So when's the next one??

Lise, I love your comment on our ages. I too assume everyone here is my age, lol. The disception of the internet:rolleyes:

KnottedYet
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Congratulations!

Great race report!

RoadRaven
09-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey there Roshelle - that would be me I think, passed by so many while I attempted to run, and then hopefully catching some of them as I rode.

Well done on completing the event - fantastic that it was so easy to participate in - when everything runs smoothly from registration on it is so much easier to get your head in the right place and focus on the job/fun at hand.

:)

spindizzy
10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
You set your goals, and you reached them. How could you not be proud!?Way to go!

Bikingmomof3
10-08-2006, 05:40 AM
I somehow missed this thread. Congrats Rochelle. Bloomington is a nice area. You did an awesome job!