PDA

View Full Version : Cycling's Infectious

Python
09-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Went up to the market where I bought Allie the Raleigh yesterday. Got chatting to the chap who sold me the bike. A few days ago, Hubby swore blind he wouldn't get on a bike again etc. etc. Yesterday there he was, asking the chap to look out for a bike suitable for his size:eek: I thought I was hearing things.

Hubby had a major heart attack 2 1/2 years ago (a large part of his heart doesn't work now but otherwise he's fine) and he was told to get some exercise by either playing golf (which he loves but I hate), swimming (we're both good swimmers) or cycling.

The only thing that worries me is he goes and overdoes things.

Men! And they say us women are always changing our minds:confused:

RoadRaven
09-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Well, I suppose if he consults with his doctor and does mild, low intensity cycling...

A guy in Ramblers was back on his bike at a race one week after being in hospital with angina - the guys in his grade told him off for being there. However, he does still ride, and even race, but he uses his heart-rate monitor religiously and keeps his heart-rate under a certain level. When he races, he rides down a grade or two so he is not exerting himself overly.

Good luck with your truculant, addicted man - I am sure if you both work with his doctor there is a way to feed the addiction while keeping him safe.

Python
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
By his own choice hubby doesn't take any medication and has little faith in our medical profession (he has just cause but it's a long story) so stays away from the doctors. We have a BP monitor so we do regularly check our BP (son has one because of his dialysis) and hubby's BP is slightly below normal for a man of his age and build, probably due to the fact that we are very careful what food we eat. None of us like salt (one of the biggest culprits for causing high BP) and hubby doesn't smoke and drinks very little. We also know what veg is good for the heart and blood so eat plenty of it (grow a lot of my own - yum).

I should just make sure if he does get a bike that he takes it carefully and gently builds up. He is sensible and knows how far to push himself. I know in the week I've been cycling I've felt happier in myself, so it's obviously doing me a lot of good.

RoadRaven
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
OK - no doctor
My man is the same way.

So you have a heart rate monitor?
Have you worked out his various training zones at any point?
This would be a great guideline for how he should train... like the guy at our club I mentioned... he just watches his HR, and rides according to that.