PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get to Lewiston, Maine?

Thistle
09-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok, i'm going to a conference in Lewiston, Maine next year (yay... get to see more of the US :D ), and just wondered if anyone can give me advice on the best way to get there?

Am flying over from Australia, so didnt know whether to go to New York and drive/train/bus up from there, or go to Canada and come down :confused: .

Any advice would be really appreciated. If your trains in that region are good, then that's definitely an option cos DH loves trains, and i'm bringing him too.

Veronica
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I typically fly into either Boston and drive up or fly to Portland, ME if family is picking me up.

V.

CyclChyk
09-24-2006, 06:45 PM
My DH is a born and bred Maine-r. He thinks Boston would be best to fly into. New York as a second option.

I LOVELOVELOVE the state. His family is still there so I get to go visit every now and again. :)

tygab
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Fly into Logan (Boston), and if you want to incorporate a train, you can, but only to Portland:

http://www.thedowneaster.com/

You could then rent a car in the Portland area.

If you have more questions as your trip gets closer, feel free to ask. What time of year will you be coming?

Thistle
09-24-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks for the advice. Boston it is then :D which is really cool cos i've never been to boston and would love to go. might have to spend a day or so there before the conference ;)

conference is from 25 - 29th July... yes i know i'm getting organised early but i want to use frequent flyer points to get there, so i'll have to book soon.

Am very excited cos it will be your summer :D and i'll be leaving our winter behind for a couple of weeks. that's just all good. :)

Bad JuJu
09-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Maine is great in the summer. My family used to summer there when I was growing up, at a lake very near to Lewiston--Snow Pond, near Oakland. Boston is a good choice of airport. It's big and crowded like most international airports, but it gets you to Boston which is a cool city in a lot of ways. We now live in Florida and often fly into Boston and rent a car to drive up to Maine, rather than just flying into Portland, because we just like the drive up through New England.