PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody read books here?

Dogmama
09-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Just wondering - if you read - what do you read? I'll start.

Currently I'm into lighter stuff - no heavy plot or deep message.

Anna Quindlan's Rise & Shine - good book, good story. Difficult to follow because she bounces between present & past tense without warning.

Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep a Secret? Cute story about an English girl who gets drunk & scared on an airline flight & spills the beans about her personal life (all kinds of details) to the man next to her - who ends up being the owner of the company where she works.

Most books by Anna Maxted & Mary Kay Andrews are cute too.

Anybody else?

Lise
09-23-2006, 12:36 PM
We're a veritable passel of readers around here! If you do a search for "books", you'll find several lengthy threads about favorite books. I'm currently reading I Know You're Out There, by Michael Beaumier, who was the personals editor at the Chicago Reader for 7 years. It helps me feel better about my own comi-tragic attempts at dating. :p

At the other end of the spectrum, I'm also reading The Great Transformation, by Karen Armstrong, about the Axial Age when the world's major religions were forming.

Trekhawk
09-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Just finished reading French Revolutions By Tim Moore. It made me burst out laughing so much that I had to keep reading parts to my husband so he could see what I was laughing at.

Im now reading Points Unknown - A Century of Great Exploration edited by David Roberts. Inside Cover quote "From Robert Falcon Scott's final journal entry to Jon Krakauer's daring solo climb of the Devils thumb to Tom Wolfe's brilliant portrayal of Chuck Yeager shattering the sound barrier, David Roberts and the editors of Outside magazine have gathered the most enduring adventure literature of the century into one heart-stopping volume".

As Lise said plenty of great threads on books here at TE and I have used them as a great source of info when looking for a new book to read.:)

Sheesh
09-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Dogmama - Have you read any Jodi Picoult? Based on your other books, I think you might like her. Her books are quick reads, like the lighter fare, but they hit on some pretty good/controverial topics. So far, my favorites by her are My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth.

margo49
09-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, we sure read here on TE
This is the smartest bunch of women *ever*

I went back to Karen A's TGT btw Lise and am more into it now. Well p.96.
Muhammad is about to go south (to Medina) in her other one. They were being so nasty to him in Mecca that I chucked it and went back to TGT. Muhammad was a re-read so I know how it turns out in the end of course. (Well we all do - 600 years, 2 billion converts, the most popular boy's name on the planet... but I meant the book/biog)

Sweet Jewish New Year and Ramadan karim to us all

CyclChyk
09-23-2006, 01:52 PM
I myself am a HUGE Stephen King fan however I have not been too pleased with his later works. The Cell, his last release, wasn't bad, but the last time he wrote a book I thoroughly enjoyed was with Desperation/The Regulators.
Christopher Moore is also one of my favorites. His newest book is entitled "A Dirty Job" about a store owner becoming an assistant to Death. His writing takes a comic twist to bizarre and its rather entertaining.

My favorite book (other than The Little Prince), is called "The Charm School" by Nelson Demille. Its an esponiage book that ties Moscow and Viet Nam to modern day US government (well, the 80's modern day government). Its really an awesome read but by no means "light".

Needless to say, I tend to prefer Fiction literature.

Lise
09-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I went back to Karen A's TGT btw Lise and am more into it now. Well p.96.
Muhammad is about to go south (to Medina) in her other one. They were being so nasty to him in Mecca that I chucked it and went back to TGT.

I know, isn't it an incredible story? I left that book with a definite fondness for the prophet Muhammad. For the rest of you, we're referring to Karen Armstrong's biography: Muhammad. http://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Biography-Prophet-Karen-Armstrong/dp/0062508865/sr=1-1/qid=1159052696/ref=sr_1_1/002-0979710-1105652?ie=UTF8&s=books

Well worth reading. Doesn't explain the long, complex history of Islam, of course, but gives an excellent understand of the beginnings of the religion.

Kitsune06
09-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm trying to hunt down and find anything I can by Frank Herbert... read the whole Dune series (etc) and now I'm trying to get the prequels in...

Stephen King has been pretty good to me- The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon was my favorite...

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 03:22 PM
I loved the Dune Series. I am currently reading Dreamcatcher, by Stephen King.

Kitsune06
09-23-2006, 03:26 PM
I was torn between Chapterhouse and God Emperor being my favorites... His son did a good job, but they're not quite the same.

Never read Dreamcatcher... how is it?

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Dreamcatcher is interesting. It definitely keeps my attention as I am constantly curious to see just where he is going with the plot. The book starts out about 4 men, all chums from school, with a very important common bond. From there it escalates into government conspiracy and without revealing the plot (or rather, the plot as I know it now), there are many twists and turns which I find intriguing. I am not a huge Stephen King fan, I read many of his books from the early 80s then nothing until now. Pick up a copy from your local library. If nothing else, it will keep you guessing.

Veronica
09-23-2006, 04:21 PM
I read Dreamcatcher on the plane coming back from Maine this summer. It was good.

I really like Carl Hiasson. He writes fiction for both children and adults. I first ran into his books when one won a Newberry - Hoot.

V.

CyclChyk
09-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Kit - a GREAT Sci-fi series that I absolutely LOVED is by the authors Randall Garrett & Vicki Ann Heydron. Its called the "Gandalara Cycle." This series is probably more fantasy than sci-fi but so awesome! And the twist at the end will blow you away.

The books are out of print now but I almost always find them at used book stores. They are also available thru Amazon. Originally the series was 7 small Roger Zelazny sized books that have been condensed into 3 Frank Herbert sized books.

If you decide to try them out, let me know what you think!

I wasn't a huge fan of Dreamcatcher myself. Needful Things was very good as was Insomnia.

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I really like Carl Hiasson. He writes fiction for both children and adults. I first ran into his books when one won a Newberry - Hoot.

V.

All 3 of my boys enjoyed Hoot. All five of us are avid readers. I am thrilled my children enjoy reading as much as I do.

Lise
09-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally the series was 7 small Roger Zelazny sized books that have been condensed into 3 Frank Herbert sized books.
Aww, now you've gone and done it. You mentioned Roger Zelazny! I harbor a secret (not secret, L, you're posting about it on the internet :rolleyes: ), OK, somewhat shameful, yet deep affection for the Amber series! I first read them in college, in 1978, when a cute boy loaned them to me. I took them all out from the library some years later, and re-read them. Was a bit chagrined at how, well, sexist they are! Oh, to heck with it! I love them! They've reprinted the original (9?) books in one large tome.

It's such a fascinating concept. One true world (Amber), of which all other worlds (including ours), are but a Shadow and distortion. One true pattern, deep in the heart of Amber. Ah, but there's Chaos, the polar opposite of Amber. Which is the "true" reality? Could one exist without the other? When faced with something physically or emotionally difficult, I often think of "walking the Pattern" in Amber, when you reach a Veil, and think you can't get through, but concentrate and persist, and you do....

I recommend them, with the caveat that the women don't come off so very well. Roger Zelazny was pretty macho. But his novels are part of my world view now! May he rest in peace.

CyclChyk
09-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Lise - judging by your admiration for the subject matter of the Amber Series (which I too love) I would highly recommend you check out The Gandalara Cycle. Should be right up your alley.

Lise
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Lise - judging by your admiration for the subject matter of the Amber Series (which I too love) I would highly recommend you check out The Gandalara Cycle. Should be right up your alley.

Oooh! I meant to say that I *will*! Thanks for the tip! I'm going to look for them at the library.

I'm also a big fan of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, for similar reasons. Certainly no problem with sexism in Pullman's work. :)

Bad JuJu
09-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Another Carl Hiassen fan here. He's a good speaker too--came to our town about 2 years ago and did a book signing at the local Barnes & Noble.

I also enjoy pretty much anything by John Irving, and I like many of the classics too: Frankenstein, Jane Eyre, Peter Pan, and Ulysses are some of my faves.

Have any of you read the Lemony Snicket books? The film didn't even come close to the artistry of the books, each a wonderful read. If you can get your hands on the CD version, they're read by Tim Curry--excellent reader.

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I have read all the the Snickett books and am looking forward to the last one, which should be out on the 13th of October.

I am an avid reader. My all time favourites are classics and mysteries.

Veronica
09-23-2006, 05:01 PM
I tried the Series of Unfortunate Events. Read book 1, started book 2 and found it so depressing, I didn't finish it. Why do all the good adults in their lives die?

V.

limewave
09-23-2006, 05:12 PM
You guys have mentioned some new authors I haven't read yet, I'll have to check them out.

I love reading too--of course, I work in publishing so I better love it! The good thing about publishing is that I get all books 60% off--the bad thing is that I get books 60% off :-( There goes my money.

Anyway, I love Anna Maxted, Jennifer Weiner, Terri Blackstock, Patricia Cornwell, Francine Rivers, Tom Clancy, and Michael Crichton for my fun reading.

Francine River's "Mark of the Lion" series is what got me hooked on reading when I was in college.

I recently read 1776 by David McCullough and found myself surprising riveted. I wish there was a 1777.

salsabike
09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
I love Carl Hiaasen. Also Joanna Trollope, especially The Choir and The Best of Friends. Am also working my way through James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series and Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. I love EARLY Stephen King (Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand). I like Robert Parker's Spenser books as well.

jeannierides
09-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Anyone read any of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Killer's series? I've never been into vampire books, but found myself with one from the library and absolutely LOVED them! Her latest is Danse Macabre.

LBTC
09-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Ah, Books!

These days I am reading Henry Millers' "Under the Roofs of Paris". woah. serious sex.
But much nicer than the Marquis de Sade's "Justine" Pretty creepy. Finished it just before this one.

Favourite books of all time: Tom Robbins - a toss up between Skinny Legs and All and Jitterbug Perfume.
Clive Barker - Imagica

And, amazingly, I really love Dean Koontz books. Despite all the depravity and violence, he has such a way of imbuing hope and a sense of the divine into his stories.

I've read and enjoyed all of the Anne Rice books, at least all that she originally published in her name. Belinda and Exit to Eden are both on my bookshelf and I will read them one day...

In high school I read a lot of Kurt Vonnegut and Frank Herbert. Later I realized that for me to find them funny I must have been pretty depressed. :eek: But I did.

I can just hear Tim Curry reading anything! Makes the snicket books seem very interesting!

And my all time favourite book to read while recovering from an illness or accident: The Good Time Gospel Boys by Billy Bittinger. Not necessarily easy to find, but a crazy funny story that had me laughing from the first sentence.

Happy reading, all!
Namaste,
~T~

Kitsune06
09-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Vonnegut.... Didn't he write Naked Lunch? Maybe I'm confused. HS was spent reading Dune, Naked Lunch, On the Road, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Catcher in the Rye, etc...

interesting stuff.

salsabike
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Naked Lunch is William Burroughs, I think. Vonnegut---maybe in HS, you got Slaughterhouse Five?

Kitsune06
09-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Ah- you're right! I need to re-read so many books... I got through them, and loved them, then forgot what happened in them.

Kano
09-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Tim Dorsey has a fun series of "murdering mayhem" -- more comedy than mystery, since we KNOW who's the bad guy all along. Carl Hiassen was mentioned on one of the covers, which got me started reading some of his work.

Piers Anthony did a fun pile of books too, fantasy fiction filled with puns. Most of 'em were pretty kid appropriate, and by the time some that weren't quite as kid appropriate came out, my daughter, who was totally hooked, was old enough to handle those too!

Stephen King did one under another name once, called Thinner. Scary book...

Harry Potter -- I just picked up the newest one of those (I think -- the one I hadn't read yet) the other day. Haven't read much of it yet, just a couple of pages while waiting for daughter at the surgical clinic the other day.

Karen in Boise

Bruno28
09-24-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm an avid reader - read pretty much all kinds of stuff but I've never found any science fiction I really enjoy. I'll be trying some of the recommendations below.

I'm just back from Prague and want to re-read Kafka after seeing how the claustrophibic backstreets might have influenced his fiction.

And when I get over my pretentious period I'll go back to reading trashy women's crime novels.:D I've just discovered Karin Salughter - a right rivetting read - and have read all of Patricia Cornwall's books.

Another recent discovery is Anita Shreve - who writes well and has slightly out of the norm story lines. I recommend her 'Light on Snow' and 'All he ever wanted'

One of my favourite novels is Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History' - but her next novel was a big disappointment.

CyclChyk
09-24-2006, 04:20 AM
And, amazingly, I really love Dean Koontz books. Despite all the depravity and violence, he has such a way of imbuing hope and a sense of the divine into his stories.

Ahh = Dean Koontz. Whispers and Phantoms were my favorites from him.

As well, Ann Rice's son, Christopher Rice, is now an author. I read his first novel, A Density of Souls, and was veryyyy impressed. No vampires, just modern day mayhem. His second book was very good also.

Dogmama
09-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Ah- you're right! I need to re-read so many books... I got through them, and loved them, then forgot what happened in them.

Me too! I browse through Barnes & Noble & wonder, "Have I read this?" I'm starting to keep a list on my PDA of books I've read because I'm so forgetful lately. Problem is - I forget to bring my PDA to B & N!

WOW!!! So many good books to look at now! Thanks ladies!!!!!

Has anybody read the series --- here I go with the bad memory ---

The first book (big one) was about a nurse in 1945 who comes back from combat and somehow gets transported to the 1700's where she meets up with a man that she falls in love with?

It's a one word title. Argh!!!

latelatebloomer
09-24-2006, 04:46 AM
Some of us even write books!:p My second kid's book, Oscar & the Mooncats, will be out next fall. And I'm TRYING to wrap up my first fantasy novel before the end of the year.

Since I'm working a day job and writing (and cycling and taking care of the world's smallest farm), my reading is not what it used to be. I've even been known to call out sick to finish a book (that honor goes to MamaDay by Gloria Naylor.) I love fantasy but am very picky about it - I also am devoted to Thomas Hardy and Willa Cather.

I read Dune many moons ago, snowbound in a farmhouse high on a Pennsylvania hill. My 2 housemates were also reading it, and we tore the paperback into individual chapers so we didn't fight over it. Much.:rolleyes:

Selkie
09-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Claire Messud is a wonderful writer. Her novel, "The Last Life," is one of my all time favorites.
You can't go wrong with anything by Alice McDermott, Louise Erdrich (sp?), Elizabeth George (British Mysteries), Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell, Joyce Carol Oates, or Ann Beattie.
Jim Harrison's "Dalva" and the sequel, "The Road Home" are just wonderful books.

mudmucker
09-24-2006, 06:05 AM
I love history and historical fiction. A couple of good reads recommended from a vietnam vet friend (in my personal attempt to understand and explore a few things), "The Long Gray Line" by Rick Atkinson follows five or so men from west point through the war. "Killer Angels" is about the 4 days at Gettysburg. "Kennedy Nixon" by Chris Matthews is an interesting read. I like Col. David Hackworth and have read his "Steel My Soldiers Heart". I've gone back to some classics, "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac (I work in Lowell and have lunch at his park), "Black Elk Speaks" by Neihardt, "Fools Crow" by Mails. I revisit Solzhenitsyn often (have many original books from the '70's). Robert Conquest is good for russian history. I'm going to read Ulysses next.

Bad JuJu
09-24-2006, 06:42 AM
On the Road was enjoying a resurgence of popularity when I was in high school. My friends and I (remember the hippies?) were all quite taken with the Beats in general. I'd like to have time to revisit it one of these years.

Latelatebloomer--That's so exciting that you're writing. Be sure to let us know when your books hit the shelves.

Mudmucker--Enjoy reading Ulysses! It was a defining read of my life and changed me, in grad school, from an Americanist to a scholar of modernist Irish & English fiction.

Trek420
09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
margo49 "Oh yeah, we sure read here on TE
This is the smartest bunch of women *ever*"

here here! well said :D

"Sweet Jewish New Year and Ramadan karim to us all"

While my reading list grows I'm a afraid that for the next month or so I'll be reading technical journals and electronic s*^% instead of novels on BART. I'm studying for one of the tests at work. Since I have all the instruction material at my desk I believe I can plow through it rather than take time off from riding to do the class.

After that, back to this list.

So many books, so little time :o

Trekhawk
09-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Latelatebloomer--That's so exciting that you're writing. Be sure to let us know when your books hit the shelves.

One of LLB books is on the shelves already - The Village of Basketeers.

It is a beautiful book and my boys love it. If you have children or you are looking for a lovely gift for a child take a look at this book. LLB is one talented lady. I cant wait for the next book.:)

Bikingmomof3
09-24-2006, 08:30 AM
One of LLB books is on the shelves already - The Village of Basketeers.

It is a beautiful book and my boys love it. If you have children or you are looking for a lovely gift for a child take a look at this book. LLB is one talented lady. I cant wait for the next book.:)

Thanks Trekhawk for letting us know. I have nieces and nephews I need to find Christmas gifts for and I am known as the Aunt who always sends books. :)

Lise
09-24-2006, 08:39 AM
I read Dune many moons ago, snowbound in a farmhouse high on a Pennsylvania hill. My 2 housemates were also reading it, and we tore the paperback into individual chapers so we didn't fight over it. Much.:rolleyes:

Brilliant strategy. I read Dune during finals week, my last semester of college. It was my bribe. Every two hours I'd allow myself to go out on the lawn in front of Regenstein library at the University of Chicago and read Dune for 30 min. I was in a blind panic--what do you mean, I have to leave college?--Dune gave me relief. It's kind of a miracle I didn't just go to grad school, right? I started drinking heavily instead. :p Then got sober and went back to school! :rolleyes:

LLB, I'm excited to check out your books! My mom's a children's librarian. Sadly for me, this means that she deluges my nephew and niece with books. I slip one in here and there, too. :o

eclectic
09-24-2006, 09:05 AM
I too love to read - I cut cable TV this summer (the day after the Tour de France ended) and haven't missed it.

I don't know what reading genre I fall into, I am pretty diverse (hence the name eclectic:confused:

First of all I must admit I LOVE the Harry Potter books #5 is my favorite followed by #3. Anyone else out there closet Harry lovers?

Currently I am almost finished Undaunted Courage by Stephen E Ambrose - It is the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition, I don't really like his style of writing but the content is very good

For light fast reading I really like Dan Brown and Michael Crichton - I call them airport reading, quick and easy to get into, keeps you interested and they don't require much thought to follow. Angel and Demons has been my favorite

My all time favorite book is Giants in the Earth by OE Rolvaag. It is about Norwegian immigrants to the Dakotas in the late 1800's. It in no way romanticises the experience like so many other books do. It was originally written in Norwegian in 1921 and translated to English in 1924. Just an all around great read and I highly recommend it.
(I may be a little biased as in 1898 my Great Grandmother from Sweden lived alone for 2 years in a sod house on a claim in Roberts Co SD with 2 children under the age of three while my grandfather went to the gold rush in the Klondike - it wasn't a romantic era)

RoadRaven
09-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Books, huh?

Think I mighta read one of those once... :p

CyclChyk - have you read Nelson Demille's "The General's Daughter"? Charm School was a well written book - but dare I say that Generals Daughter is even better?

Lise - His Dark Materials trilogy is big in this house too - several fans...

LBTC - my 18 yr old daughter is a huge fan of Ann Rice and is consistently at me to read some of her books... on the "to do" list.

Currently I am reading "Romanitus" - a book about what the world might look like if the Roman Empire never fell. My daughter thinks it was great (and she is a very good judge of books) so I perservered through a slow first chapter - I'm up to chapter 5 and it seems that it was worth perservering.

Lise
09-24-2006, 10:28 AM
IMy all time favorite book is Giants in the Earth by OE Rolvaag. It is about Norwegian immigrants to the Dakotas in the late 1800's. It in no way romanticises the experience like so many other books do. It was originally written in Norwegian in 1921 and translated to English in 1924. Just an all around great read and I highly recommend it.
(I may be a little biased as in 1898 my Great Grandmother from Sweden lived alone for 2 years in a sod house on a claim in Roberts Co SD with 2 children under the age of three while my grandfather went to the gold rush in the Klondike - it wasn't a romantic era)

This is one of my favorites, too. It's sort of the antidote to Little House on the Prairie. Don't get me wrong, I read, re-read, and loved all of Laura Ingalls Wilders' books. But Giants in the Earth is a much more realistic portrayal of the pioneer experience for many immigrants. The final scene is seared in my imagination. Eclectic, I'm glad your g'g'ma survived, and the kids, too! My Swedish/Danish ancestors never made it to the plains--they settled in Michigan and were iron workers.

Lise
09-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Currently I am reading "Romanitus" - a book about what the world might look like if the Roman Empire never fell.

What an interesting concept. I'll have to add this to the list, too!

fatbottomedgurl
09-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe this doesn't count but I am going to Bible college and am currently reading 150 - 200 pages a week for school. Right now I am reading books on worldview/ culture, apologetics, science/ biology/ astronomy/ Darwinism/ intellligent design plus of course commentaries on scriptures. I wish I had time to read for pleasure, the last novels I read over the summer were The Fountainhead and We the Living by Ayn Rand.

RoadRaven
09-24-2006, 10:53 AM
FBG - of course your study readings count!!!

I have read some really interesting things in my reading for my post-grad study - one of my papers is called "Teaching Learners of Non-English Speaking Backgrounds" - talk about a mouthful!

uk elephant
09-24-2006, 11:58 AM
I love to read too!! Unfortunately I have now read all the books in the house and can't afford to go shopping for new books for a while, but here are some of my recommendations:

Most recently I have been introduced to the mad world of Robert Rankin. Very funny and completely insane. So far I have read "Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalyps" and "Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls".

For a very educational and at the same time very funny read try Bill Bryson. "A Short History of Nearly Everything" is a great introduction to the history of science and "Notes from a small island" is a great travel-book about the UK.

Another favorite author at the moment is Alexander McCall Smith, both is series about a private eye lady detective in Botswana (because I've been there and recognize some of the places) and his series about a random collection of people in Edinburgh (which is a place I now want to visit).

A long time favorite is Italo Calvino. I've read most of his books, if not all. Very thought provoking and a bit strange.

CyclChyk
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
UK Elephant - have you read "Fandom of the Operator" by Robert Rankin?? I checked him out on BN.com and I really want to read it!

"Romanitus" really looks interesting as well!

This better not cut into my biking time..................:D

uk elephant
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry, I haven't read that one yet. But judging by the two I have read it should be good. Completely mad, but good. BF has read most of his books and is a big fan. He is also completely mad though....but he does say they are all good.

Bikingmomof3
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Has anyone read anything by Henning Mankell?

Steph
09-24-2006, 03:48 PM
I love to read too. My favorite genre is historical fiction. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is one of my top faves. I also like Francine Rivers and the Mark of the Lion series.

Kano
09-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Has anybody read the series --- here I go with the bad memory ---

The first book (big one) was about a nurse in 1945 who comes back from combat and somehow gets transported to the 1700's where she meets up with a man that she falls in love with?

It's a one word title. Argh!!!

I know the book you mean -- they eat oatmeal and wear kilts. Wasn't the transport something that happened at Stonehenge some magical night? Don't remember the name, but it's definitely not Argh!!!

Karen in Boise

massbikebabe
09-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Harry Potter Goblet of Fire was my favorite, and Kings book It kept me awake at night and away from sewar covers for months. Right now I am reading some indie novels my daughter gave me...not bad...I'll post more later

karen
who thinks the The Stand was Kings best book ever

run it, ride it
09-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Boo, books! I hate books! Never want to see a book again! Did I mention I'm taking an English degree, and I'm already about two novels and three theorists behind starting the third week of classes?

Hiss, boo! No more books!

Bad JuJu
09-25-2006, 05:58 AM
Hey run it, ride it, my degree's in English also. This semester I'm teach a cultural studies approach to Joyce's Dubliners--having a pretty good time so far and just got some pretty good first critical papers.

In spare time, when I'm not cycling (or cleaning the house or walking the dog or grading papers), I'm reading the new biography of Darwin, by David Quammen. Quammen often writes for Outside magazine, and he's just a wonderful writer, and this new bio offers some fresh insights into Darwin's development of his theories. Enormously interesting.

mlove
09-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Right now I am mostly reading stuff I am assigning in my history of education class as well as Alan Bennett's play "The History Boys" and Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl.

I read mysteries when I get a chance although I am just as likely to go back to the classics--Austen, Bronte, ****ens, etc. One of my favorite authors, for those of you who like historical fiction (or very funny spy stories) is Dorothy Dunnett. I have used her House of Niccolo series several times when teaching about the 15th century. Colleen McCollough is very good on the late Roman Republic. Both authors did a huge amount of research to write their books.

I do have a small collection of books on cycling too.

tattiefritter
09-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Will have to have a proper look through this thread later for some ideas for new books..

I don't get the time to read much these days but recent favourites are the Harry Potter Series (of course) and His Dark Materials, anything by Michael Connolly (the Poet) which is unusual as I don't usually like murder stories.

I went through a phase of reading mountaineering books ( I do a bit of climbing and hill walking but nothing extreme) as I find the characters fascinating. I can recommend "Touching the Void" and "The Beckoning Silence" by Joe Simpson and "The White Spider" by Heinrich Harrer, the story of the first ascents of the North Face of the Eiger, really powerful and involving.

Python
09-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Read all of Patricia Cornwall's Scarpeta novels (Post Mortem etc). Also like a good historical romance to curl up with.

Hub
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Love Harry Potter- everytime a new one comes out I have to go back to the
beginning and read all of them in sequence. # 6 was a bit of a bummer, But I trust the kids will be all right. I also love Dadid Eddings and the Belgariad and the Mallorean- great Sci Fantasy stuff- Strong women- Eddings wrote a couple follow ups and this time listed his wife as co-author.
I read the Outlander stuff- very good, love Patricia Cornwell, John Sanford and Kathy Reichs- does anyone watch Bones on TV?
Oh- one of my all time favorites in the worlkd- Rita Mae Brown- High Hearts, Six of One & Bingo are my favs.

But I really just like Books ;)

mtkitchn
09-25-2006, 09:03 AM
FBG,
Funny you mentioned The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand; I just finished that book a couple weeks ago.
Another good book I've read lately is "You're not You" by Michelle Wildgen.
I'm going to have to check out some of the books you ladies mention since I need some new reading material.

RoadRaven
09-25-2006, 09:28 AM

Apparently not :p

Can you give us a hint about the writing? Is it worth it? Or are wondering if you should get something by this author to read?

Dogmama
09-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I know the book you mean -- they eat oatmeal and wear kilts. Wasn't the transport something that happened at Stonehenge some magical night? Don't remember the name, but it's definitely not Argh!!!

Karen in Boise

Outlanders! Steph (post before yours) named it!

Bikingmomof3
09-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Apparently not :p

Can you give us a hint about the writing? Is it worth it? Or are wondering if you should get something by this author to read?

I like Mankell's books. He is a Swedish author and his series take place in Sweden. I am a huge mystery fan. He is one I recently discovered as I was looking for something different.

pepe6599
09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm totally in love with books by Walt Witman, poetry has always been what i love to read.

Pascale
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
For the past year I've been soaking up every book by Jack DuBrul (adventure - fiction) - one common character in all the books, exciting adventures - hard to put the darn things down, so they tend to be quick reads for me - but I just love them!!!!

Lise
09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I Should Have Stayed Home, The Worst Trips of the Great Writers

http://www.amazon.com/Should-Have-Stayed-Home-Literature/dp/1571430148/sr=1-2/qid=1159230014/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-0979710-1105652?ie=UTF8&s=books

It is HILARIOUS, moving, amazing. Travel writers telling about the worst trip they ever went on. I gave my copy away, and think I need to buy a replacement. I think of these stories often, and would like to go read them again and again.

Kitsune06
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
FBG,
Funny you mentioned The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand; I just finished that book a couple weeks ago.

Oh, I read the Fountainhead a few years ago and re-read it recently. It totally changed a lot of my thinking in High School...

Toohey: "What do you think of me?"
Roark: "*pause* ...I don't think of you."

*grin* I loved Roark, though you could easily love/hate him. He changed a lot of my perceptions of artwork and one's rights to one's creative presence. Ayn Rand is a fantastic writer, and she really changed my mind on egoism.

Lise
09-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I read We The Living my freshman year in HS, just found it on the shelf and read it. Went from there to The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. The Fountainhead certainly contributed to the way I see architecture, and probably, relationships between men and women!

7rider
09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm kind of glad I don't see a whole lot of new releases here.
I'm currently slogging my way through James Michener's "Chesapeake". It's actually a whole lot more interesting than I thought it would be, but I just never seem to have the time to sit down and read for any stretch lately. Too many "other" things to be doing. Plus, I seem to take what reading time I do have reading magazines.
However, I recently finished Rachel Carson's "Under the Sea Wind." It was wonderful. I highly recommend it.
I have a bookshelf full of books I'd like to read...one of these days.

eclectic
09-25-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm currently slogging my way through James Michener's "Chesapeake". It's actually a whole lot more interesting than I thought it would be,

I've read a lot of Micheners books from Sayonora (sp) to
Chesapeake. Chesapeake wasn't my favorite, found it a little burdensome

I LOVED the Covenant a story about how apartheid evolved in South Africa - Never did finish Poland - too many wars and not enough character development, Hawaii was good though

Thanks for posting this - I will be needing a new book and I haven't read his Alaska

AND I am so glad to see there are other cycling Harry Potter fans out there :D :D

Tater
09-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Have you ladies noticed your reading habits changing as you get older? All through high school and for a couple years after that, I was totally into sci-fi and fantasy. Took a couple college literature classes and that opened my mind up to so many new worlds. While in the Navy, I read a lot of military history and such. Now, I am more into historical biographies, autobiographies, historical non-fiction and classical literature. I still read for pleasue, but I also read to learn I guess. There are so many great books out there and I want to read them all!

Currently reading:
S*x with Kings - (forgot the author) The history of the role of the King's mistress(s) through time.
Pride and Prejudice - Austen

Just finished:
Roadshow: Landscape with Drums N. Peart
A Walk in the Woods B. Bryson
The Best of Women's Travel Writing Various
Fresh Air Feind P. Theroux (sp?)
(Hmmm, just a bit of a travel writing kick, there!)
Ansel Adams' Autobiography

To be read:
Les Miserables V. Hugo
Metal Cowboy Forgot author
Monkey Wrench Gang E. Abbey

Dogmama
09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Have you ladies noticed your reading habits changing as you get older?

I loved Sci Fi & Horror. Ray Bradbury and Stephen King. These days, my job is so stressful, I just want mindless chick-lit books. I have a huge Tolstoy waiting for when I retire - Anna Karenina. I bought it because it was on Oprah's book club (OK, I'm a dork) then found out SHE had not even read it!

Bikingmomof3
09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a huge Tolstoy waiting for when I retire - Anna Karenina.

Anna Karenina is one of my all time favourite books. I enjoy a lot of Tolstoy's works and picked up several when I was in the former USSR.

Brandi
09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I do a lot of reading with all my traveling and free time in airports. my book pick for this summer was a book called "The lobster chronicles" by Linda Greenlaw. She wrote an book on fishing as well which is really good. She was a captain of boat from the same place " A perfect storm" was from and about.
The book "The lobster chronicles" is about life on a very small island. I think there are less then 50 people living on this island. Linda talks about lobstering with her dad and just what it is like to come home and try to start a new life. It is very funny I thought. I come from a small town and can relate to it. Oh and it is a true story. I think it just came out in paperback.

7rider
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I used to read Stephen King all the time in college, until his creative output exceeded my economic income! He just put out book after book, and I couldn't keep up. I got great at picking up his paperbacks at yard sales for a quarter! Then, I sold all those same paperbacks at my own yardsale, read or not. The Stand was my favorite of his.
DH reads sci-fi and fantasy (Friday nights, he's glued to the Sci-Fi channel! :rolleyes: ). He's a big HP fan, but I find it rather tiresome and it's all just the same stuff. The movies are good escapist stuff, but even that gets a bit..."Haven't I seen this before?"
I currently have a collection of to-be-read books from what I term the "way-far-away-on-adventures-I'll-never-have" genre: Into Thin Air (mountain climbing), The Hungry Ocean (swordfish fishing), Under the Tuscan Sun (fixing up that dream house in Italy), etc.
p.s. Brandi - I just saw your post...The Hungry Ocean is the Linda Greenlaw book you are referring to about fishing. It was really good - written in response to The Perfect Storm, also a good book. But then, I was involved in the fishing industry up in Gloucester for some time when those books came out, so I had a keen interest in it all! The Lobster Chronicles sounds like somethign I should pick up!

mtkitchn
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Brandi,
I read Julia Child's book that you recommended some months ago, and found it very interesting!

Lise,
I just picked up "I should have stayed home" from the library today and am looking forward to reading it!

salsabike
09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
I currently have a collection of to-be-read books from what I term the "way-far-away-on-adventures-I'll-never-have" genre: Into Thin Air (mountain climbing), The Hungry Ocean (swordfish fishing), Under the Tuscan Sun (fixing up that dream house in Italy), etc.

Into Thin Air is an absolutely fascinating, very well written book. The author used to be one of my doc's climbing partners. After the 96 climbing season that the book is about, she said he became pretty reclusive; it was hugely traumatic for him. Great book, though.

Patti37
09-28-2006, 10:45 PM
You guys have mentioned some new authors I haven't read yet, I'll have to check them out.

I love reading too--of course, I work in publishing so I better love it! The good thing about publishing is that I get all books 60% off--the bad thing is that I get books 60% off :-( There goes my money.

Anyway, I love Anna Maxted, Jennifer Weiner, Terri Blackstock, Patricia Cornwell, Francine Rivers, Tom Clancy, and Michael Crichton for my fun reading.

Francine River's "Mark of the Lion" series is what got me hooked on reading when I was in college.

I recently read 1776 by David McCullough and found myself surprising riveted. I wish there was a 1777.

David McCullough's book on John Adams is also a very good read. He also wrote a book on Harry Truman that was good but it was not a "I can't put it down" kind of book.

SadieKate
11-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I tried the Series of Unfortunate Events. Read book 1, started book 2 and found it so depressing, I didn't finish it. Why do all the good adults in their lives die?

V.Okay, okay, old thread but I just read Book 1. I agree with V. What the ??? I don't get the popularity.

Veronica
11-14-2007, 12:02 PM
I think it's because the kids are resilient and figure out how to deal with their problems, outsmarting Count Olaf in the process. I did try them again at the urging of last year's class. I got to book 8 and skipped to book 13, just to see how it ended.

V.

SadieKate
11-14-2007, 12:11 PM
You read 8 more of them? :eek: Nothing made me smile or laugh or even cry. It was just plodded along with how horrible this and how horrible that . . . but at least no one died after the first few pages. I think I'll pass.

GLC1968
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm a voracious reader (but a lousy speller!) and I love, love, love books. I have to keep myself in check though, because I would easily give up too much in my life to just read. It's crazy. My H gives me a hard time about it and my family used to call me 'brick wall' whenever I had a book in my hands. It's not uncommon for me to stay up all night reading when I'm into a good book! It's also not good for my riding habit. I missed out on too many beautiful evening rides because I was head first into the last Harry Potter. :o

My favorite are historical novels and adventure stores, but there isn't much I won't read. Luckily, I read quickly. ;) I loved 'Into Thin Air'...I think it's one of my all time favorites. Currently I'm reading a series of Philippa Gregory books (historical romance...but not trashy) and a few on solar power (I'm an EE by trade).

I also tend to like LONG books. I hate it when I'm enjoying a story and it's over too quickly. I think that's why I've enjoyed each Harry Potter more than the previous ones...they keep getting longer! Oh, and I read and loved Sarum which is a super long historical novel set in England (Salisbury area). I loved that it lasted half a summer for me!

mimitabby
11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
wow, you read Sarum! I don't know anyone else besides myself that has read that book.

SadieKate
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I did. Probably only because one of our family names is Canterbury.

GLC1968
11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Wow, you guys both read it too? I've also never met anyone else who has...

I think I picked it up originally just because it was so long. :p

Thorn
11-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Do I get any points for reading Sarum after I finished London? :rolleyes:

Ain't the web grand? The world isn't quite as different and diverse, perhaps, as we think sometimes.

As a kid I devoured Michener novels, too. I like good historicals. Heck, I read through Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy (and the pre-quel Antartica). Not exactly "historical" but along the same line.

SadieKate
11-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I read many of the Michener novels also. Now, I'm under a limit as to the weight of my books. Bubba doesn't like getting whacked in the face with them when I fall asleep. :p

Fredwina
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm a fan of both Rutherford and Michner.
Also like John Krakauer(intio Thin air)

mimitabby
11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
me too SadieKate, i don't like reading books that are so heavy they could hurt me if they fell on my nose.

as a result i've only read 2 Harry Potters.
owell, I have been reading a lot of italian novels, they last me longer than any Harry Potter book...

Irulan
11-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Do I get any points for reading Sarum after I finished London? :rolleyes:

Ain't the web grand? The world isn't quite as different and diverse, perhaps, as we think sometimes.

As a kid I devoured Michener novels, too. I like good historicals. Heck, I read through Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy (and the pre-quel Antartica). Not exactly "historical" but along the same line.

I LOVE KSR, I think he's a real visionary. If you get a change try to find the Three Californias tryptich... Pacific Edge, The Wild Shore and the Gold coast... looks like it's being reprinted in an omnibus.

The new one (40 day of rain etc) is cool but a little all over the place. Again, he's such a visionary I forgive the lack of focus.

Bklynmom
11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

I have read everything my Henning Mankell that is translated into English. I love the Kurt Wallander series and also return of the Dancing Master. If you like Mankell you should check out Maj Sjowall and Per Waloo's Martin Beck Series. There's an amazing one called the Fire Engine that Disappeared.
I also like Ian Rankin, but again have read them all. Any other quality mystery writers you can suggest?

For serious books I have recently read American Prometheus (about Robert Oppenheimer) Brilliant description of Mccarthyism leading to the cold war. I have been reading the Guns of August on and off for a moth or so too. Would love suggestions of good biographies - loved the Robert Moses book by Caro - lots of Doris Kearns-Goodwin. Would love more suggestions of biographies and history.

Zen
11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I'd like to read this one about George Washington (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Idea-George-Washingtons-Potomac/dp/0684848570) and you might like The Devil In The White City (http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Idea-George-Washingtons-Potomac/dp/0684848570) about the 1893 Chicago's World Fair.

Bklynmom
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks. I loved the Devil in the White City! I will look for the George Washington Book.

Another one in this vein that is great is The Island at the Center of the World - you couldn't make up a character as wild as Peter Stuyvesant.

salsabike
11-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey, Sherman Alexie just won a National Book Award for the book I just finished reading last week: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

I love that. It was a great book.

Bklynmom
11-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Into Thin Air is an absolutely fascinating, very well written book. The author used to be one of my doc's climbing partners. After the 96 climbing season that the book is about, she said he became pretty reclusive; it was hugely traumatic for him. Great book, though.

Great book - amazing journalism - his other books are good as well. I would also add The Heart of the Sea - about the true story that Moby **** is based on -- great sailing story.

Zen
11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks. I loved the Devil in the White City!

I found the beginning somewhat tedious but was really surprised at the end to find out everyones ultimate place in history.

Thorn
11-15-2007, 03:52 AM
I LOVE KSR, I think he's a real visionary. If you get a change try to find the Three Californias tryptich... Pacific Edge, The Wild Shore and the Gold coast... looks like it's being reprinted in an omnibus.

The new one (40 day of rain etc) is cool but a little all over the place. Again, he's such a visionary I forgive the lack of focus.

Agreed....on all counts. I am still haunted by one of the California books--the post apocolyptic book where the outside world prevents technology from redeveloping. Bad plot summary on my part, but some days I fear that isn't so far fetched.

I didn't mind the 40 Days series. A little disconnected, particularly the last book, but it is an important viewpoint. Besides, after the Years of Rice and Salt I was pleased (I'm one of the few who did *not* like YoRaS)

skibum
11-15-2007, 04:27 AM
wow, you read Sarum! I don't know anyone else besides myself that has read that book.

I've read Sarum too... For those who like historical fiction, I'm currently reading one also based in England called World Without End. It's by Ken Follett and is a sequel to his book Pillars of the Earth. Both are very good.

Crankin
11-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I read constantly, but I think I am the only person (and English teacher) who has not read Harry Potter. I really dislike fantasy, sci-fi, and mystery; all those strange names confuse me and there just doesn't seem to be the same type of plots that I like in other genres. I like historical fiction and just plain regular realistic fiction books about real people. I have also read quite a few of the biographies like John Adams and I really liked the Bill Clinton bio. I also read a lot of non fiction on politics, ec.
And as far as those series of Unfortunate Events... after awhile my former students realized that they were a "formula" type of book and they always ended the same way. The same thing happened a few years ago with the RL Stine and Goosebumps books, which were even worse in terms of writing quality. The kids could never understand why i don't like fantasy, but some of the YA science fiction I have read is OK.

Pax
11-15-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm in a Fannie Flagg mode these days. I'm reading Can't Wait to Get to Heaven right now and it's just lovely.

smilingcat
11-15-2007, 06:56 AM
I tend to read more non-fiction.

Harvest for Hope by Jane Goodall
Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill
Moral Politics by George Lakoff
Cookwise by Shirley Corriher (food)
On food and cooking by Harold McGee (food)
The Ceramic Spectrum Robin Hopper (pottery)
and so on.

Smilingcat

GLC1968
11-15-2007, 06:57 AM
I've read Sarum too... For those who like historical fiction, I'm currently reading one also based in England called World Without End. It's by Ken Follett and is a sequel to his book Pillars of the Earth. Both are very good.

Ooh, I'm going to have to get a copy of both of those! I believe that I've read Ken Follett before, but I can't remember the titles (it wasn't either of those). Thanks!

jobob
11-15-2007, 06:59 AM
+1 for Fannie Flagg.

Queen, have you read Welcome to the World, Baby Girl - that's one of my favorites.

Pax
11-15-2007, 07:08 AM
+1 for Fannie Flagg.

Queen, have you read Welcome to the World, Baby Girl - that's one of my favorites.

I have read it and it was wonderful! It's on my re-read list. :D

I love how she is able to distill things down to simplicity..."kindness and forgiveness is always right, hate and revenge is always wrong".

Trekhawk
11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
We don't have TV so at night I read. Hmm I won't tell how many books we have to cart back to Aust but its a little scary.:eek:

Im currently reading Bones of the Master (a journey to secret Mongolia) by George Crane. Fascinating!!

SadieKate
11-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Hmm I won't tell how many books we have to cart back to Aust but its a little scary.:eek: Bet I can at least match you box for box. :p

And I haven't even started on mini-storage.:eek:

Trekhawk
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Bet I can at least match you box for box. :p

And I haven't even started on mini-storage.:eek:

LOL - mate I don't want to even think about all the books we have in storage back in Aust. Yikes I need a house with a huge library just to house them all. Shame I don't have the money for that sort of house.:eek:

SadieKate
11-15-2007, 12:05 PM
I knew you were a kindred spirit! :)

My realtor here in Oregon keeps making comments that the upper floor will cave in under the books.

Trekhawk
11-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I knew you were a kindred spirit! :)

My realtor here in Oregon keeps making comments that the upper floor will cave in under the books.

Oh well at least you can balance the load by keeping all that wine downstairs.:D :D

crazycanuck
11-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Ummm :eek: Trekhawk..you'd have to live in an upper crusty type suburb with all those books! :eek:

I'm sure you'll find a nice home for all those books! Wanna share some?

C

kelownagirl
11-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Okay, okay, old thread but I just read Book 1. I agree with V. What the ??? I don't get the popularity.

I heard an radio interview with the author - had me in stitches. I don't like the books myself though.

Trekhawk
11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Ummm :eek: Trekhawk..you'd have to live in an upper crusty type suburb with all those books! :eek:

I'm sure you'll find a nice home for all those books! Wanna share some?

C

LOL - no upper crusty suburb for us I have seen the realestate prices in Perth. Actually you dont even need to live in a upper class area for the prices to be ridiculous. :(

crazycanuck
11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Tell me about it!!!! :eek:

I'm sure a nice affordable(:) ) house is awaiting the trekhawk family somewhere!

C

salsabike
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I just read the MOST interesting book---A Corpse in the Koryo--a mystery set in North Korea, written by a Western intelligence officer with many years of experience in Asia and Korea. It must be one of the very few English language novels written about North Korea by someone with rich knowledge about it. It sounds very much the way that non-fiction sources have described the country.

Dogmama
11-27-2007, 02:54 AM
I picked up "YOU - Staying Young." I generally don't read those, but it looked entertaining. It is - and there is some good information too. It's not just "stress kills" but tells why in entertaining terms and gives solutions. Good holiday gift, I'd think.

enzed
11-27-2007, 04:23 AM
I've always been a bit of a book worm.

In my room, I have stash of books I've collected from charity shops.

They range from Stephen King (have a dog-eared copy of "It"), H E Bates (The Darling Buds of May series), Bill Bryson, Pride & Prejudice, Lord of the Rings, Derek Tangye, Schlinder's List (it's heavy reading but very moving) and a few non-fiction.

There's a book I found about Jack Lovelock. He was a kiwi, who won a running gold medal in the 1936 olympic games & his rise to success is an interesting story.

My guilty pleasure is my near complete series of Anne of Green gable books.
When I was a teanager, I discovered "Anne of the Island" and the dark, tall & handsome "Gilbert Blythe" - if only guys like that actually did exist :rolleyes:

Happy reading

uk elephant
11-27-2007, 04:34 AM
My favorite are historical novels and adventure stores,

If you like historical novels and adventures, check out books by Bernard Cornwell. He writes some fantastic stuff, and they are several book sequels so your story won't finish too quick. I'm currently reading the Warlord chronicles, a three book sequel based around Arthurian legends. Another fantastic series was the three books from the time the Saxons were fighting the Danes for control of England. And he wrote a great book called Stonehenge, a novel about the building of Stonehenge. All his books are very well researched too and he includes a chapter at the end detailing the research he has done. BF is a big fan too and next on our reading list is his series based around the American civil war.

five one
11-27-2007, 09:35 AM
My guilty pleasure is my near complete series of Anne of Green gable books.
When I was a teenager, I discovered "Anne of the Island" and the dark, tall & handsome "Gilbert Blythe" - if only guys like that actually did exist :rolleyes:

We must be kindred spirits, as Anne would say. I spent several years collecting the series from used book stores and reread them fairly regularly. I had read only Anne of Green Gables as a teenager, not realizing there was a series until I was an adult. I also have the Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery. So much of Anne was really Maud Montgomery. Interesting reading if you're an Anne fan.

surgtech1956
11-27-2007, 07:04 PM
My favorite authors:
Fannie Flagg - Fried Green Tomatoes(my all time favorite movie) - have this book, haven't read it yet, any suggestions for her other novels?
Patricia Cornwell
Robin Cook
James Paterson
Michael Crichton

kelownagirl
11-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I am currently reading "The Borrowers" and last week I read a "James and the Giant Peach"... Wish I had time to read for myself... :)

shootingstar
11-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I am currently reading "The Borrowers" and last week I read a "James and the Giant Peach"... Wish I had time to read for myself... :)

Borrowers was one of my favourite bks. when growin up.

Right now I'm reading the 100-mile diet. http://100milediet.org/book/
It's about a couple who for environmental sustainability try eat food grown within 100 mile radius. I'm not sure I could do this....I like rice much more than potatoes as my staple. Guess I would have to grow curry leaves or somthin'. But at least there's seafood nearby...a meat type that I would pine for eventually.

I recommend this book alot. It makes you think not just about the farmers, but about diversity or lack of diversity of whole foods in one's diet.

Yea, bookworm alright. I must have sold off or given away at least 150 books when I moved from Ontario to British Columbia a few years ago. Prior to weeding, I must have had over 350 books. Realize that I worked in a bookstore for a few months....and also, in most librarians (I am one by formal training & most my career so far), there's a hidden book-lover, even if we appear very web-computer oriented in past few decades.

Having a smaller home, has tamed my book-buying habit...abit. :D ;)

mimitabby
11-28-2007, 05:53 AM
We can't do it Shooting star, then we'd have to live without chocolate!

Borrowers was one of my favourite bks. when growin up.

Right now I'm reading the 100-mile diet. http://100milediet.org/book/
It's about a couple who for environmental sustainability try eat food grown within 100 mile radius. I'm not sure I could do this....I like rice much more than potatoes as my staple. Guess I would have to grow curry leaves or somthin'. But at least there's seafood nearby...a meat type that I would pine for eventually.

uk elephant
11-28-2007, 06:08 AM
or move closer to a chocolate grower.....

carpaltunnel
11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Has anyone mentioned World War Z by Max Brooks? I couldn't put it down, and I don't normally read horror. It was more than the usual horror story.

Also anything by Nelson DeMille - great smart-aleck characters running around solving crimes, sometimes even saving the world.

Some of Victoria Moran's books - I especialy loved Creating a Charmed Life
Sensible, Spiritual Secrets Every Busy Woman Should Know.
http://www.victoriamoran.com/books.html#book2 Wish I still had it - I loaned it to someone...:(

carpaltunnel
11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I've hoarded boxes and boxes of books in my 59.9 years, and a few years ago started parting with them. With the forests coming down so fast to make wood and paper products, resulting in the loss of habitat for wild birds and animals, I decided to get my paper hoards back into circulation. What good will it do me to hang onto them until they fall apart? That description fit nearly every book I had obtained from age 5 through about 25. The glue and bindings had gone bad. They went to Goodwill in the hopes that someone will take them anyway. The newer books, purchased from age 25 + were in better shape and went to the Literacy Council's annual book sale.

I figure by putting them back in circulation I'm reducing the demand for new paper products just a little bit and reduce the impact on the environment of my reading habit.

I hung on to a few favorites, and yup, I keep buying books; but now I pass them on when I've read them a few times. Well, most of them :) And I now buy a lot of books at the used book stores, thrift stores, and garage sales, whereever I can find them. When you pass books on, other books start coming your way too. I hung on to those boxes of books through so may years and moves, and you know what - I find that I didn't need them and don't even miss them.

I've turned over a new leaf!

salsabike
11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Has anyone mentioned World War Z by Max Brooks? I couldn't put it down, and I don't normally read horror. It was more than the usual horror story.

World War Z was GREAT!

OakLeaf
12-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Anything by Barbara Kingsolver, fiction or non-fiction. Michael Pollan's last two (The Botany of Desire and The Omnivore's Dilemma); I haven't read anything else of his. Water for Elephants, for any fiction reader.

TriMom217
12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I just finished Kite Runner. I could not put it down, it was that good.

KnottedYet
12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
LOVE Barbara Kingsolver's essays. "High Tide In Tucson" is high on my list. I haven't read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" yet, but I sure want to!

Right now I'm re-reading "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett.

crazybikinchic
12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey, does "Biology for the Radiologic Technologist", "Radiologic Positioning", and "Human Anatomy and Physiology" count? At least for the next week and a half. Then it is "Bicycling" for the next month.

ummbnb
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm currently re-reading The Ethical $lut. It is the Dec. selection for my bookclub amazingly enough.

eta - had to edit because the board didn't like the S-word

OakLeaf
12-02-2007, 06:53 PM
LOVE Barbara Kingsolver's essays. "High Tide In Tucson" is high on my list. I haven't read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" yet, but I sure want to!

Right now I'm re-reading "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett.

Ha! I just finished Pratchett's latest, "Making Money." I thought it was one of his satirical best, on a par with "The Truth."

"Animal, Vegetable" is really beautiful, and if you ever run across a copy of Kingsolver's book about the women in the copper mine strike, that's worth reading, too.

Xrayted
12-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey, does "Biology for the Radiologic Technologist", "Radiologic Positioning", and "Human Anatomy and Physiology" count? At least for the next week and a half. Then it is "Bicycling" for the next month.

Yes they absolutely count! :D So, when do you graduate? Congrats on making it into the program. Only the best of the best become xray techs. I could be biased though. :rolleyes: :p

Actually, I am in the Dune series. My partner loves it and has me reading them. I'm at the end of book 2 and am hooked. Very Sci-fi.

kelownagirl
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I read Dune way back in my early 20's. Loved it then, not sure if I'd like it now or not.

kelownagirl
12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
I just finished Kite Runner. I could not put it down, it was that good.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about that book. Must track down a copy...

salsabike
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
KG, you would still love Dune. We fans periodically reread it.

And I have an extra copy of The Kite Runner. PM me if you want it--I'd be happy to send it, and it is a really wonderful book.

kelownagirl
12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
KG, you would still love Dune. We fans periodically reread it.

And I have an extra copy of The Kite Runner. PM me if you want it--I'd be happy to send it, and it is a really wonderful book.

Thanks Salsa! I am pretty sure my friend at work has the book so I'll give her a shot first! Hmm, maybe I should reread Dune.

KnottedYet
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I haven't read any Dune in about 20 years...

I still think about it sometimes. I was very into Dune when I was late teens/early 20's, I wonder if reading it now I'd get something else out of it.

There are several books like that I should got look into again.

OakLeaf
12-03-2007, 06:56 AM
I've heard nothing but good stuff about that book. Must track down a copy...

It is amazingly good. But it is also amazingly intense. Read it when you're feeling strong.

Pax
12-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Since it's getting cold outside I'm getting into reading mode big time. Just started L'Affaire (http://www.amazon.com/LAffaire-Diane-Johnson/dp/052594740X) by Diane Johnson. I'm not sure if I like it yet, I know she has a whole series of similar books out...has anyone else read her work??

Velobambina
12-03-2007, 08:20 AM
I've read all of Diane Johnson's books and enjoyed them. They are the kind of books that are good for a rainy afternoon.

Recently, I read "Septembers in Shiraz" (I think that's the title) by Dena Sofer. It was beautiful. The story, the writing. Just one of those books you don't want to end.

Ann Packer's new book is pretty good. I didn't enjoy it as much as her first one, though (Diving Off CLauson's Pier?--i'm so bad w/titles. LOL).

Pax
12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
I've read all of Diane Johnson's books and enjoyed them. They are the kind of books that are good for a rainy afternoon.

Recently, I read "Septembers in Shiraz" (I think that's the title) by Dena Sofer. It was beautiful. The story, the writing. Just one of those books you don't want to end.

Ann Packer's new book is pretty good. I didn't enjoy it as much as her first one, though (Diving Off CLauson's Pier?--i'm so bad w/titles. LOL).

Thanks, I'm coming off of re-reading all the Fannie Flagg books and its a tough switch from easy down home writing style to the more sophisticated style Johnson uses.

crazybikinchic
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Xrayted,

May 2009. We start clinicals this summer, but went shadowing this past week. I was excited to see a myelogram.

Bklynmom
12-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I forgot to mention what may be the best book ever - Middlesex. Just an amazingly constructed and often funny tale, completely unpredicatbale, and uplifing in an odd way. There are some tough war scenes at the beginnning, and definitelly some violence, but amazing twists and turns. The plot is breathtaking.

Especially if you are in your 40's 50's or 60's and from Detroit, you will really enjoy it, although that is hardly all that it's about. Lots to do with growing up Greek, and gender issues too.

Riveting - good reason it got the Pulitizer.

Meaux
12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Holy smokes! I just re-read Middlesex. I LOVED it both times I've read it. I worked for Barnes and Noble for nearly four years (my husband still does), so we have LOTS and LOTS of books in our home. I love Wally Lamb and I read any historical fiction I can get my hands on. I just read this book called The Historian, it was fantastic. (I love vampires too, anything kind of sordid is my guilty pleasure. Just not romance novels. That's going too far.) And Neil Gaiman is a fantastic author. American Gods really changed the way I thought about other religions. Okay, I'm rambling now. I have loved to read since the time I was really young. I'm trying to get on the ball and read things that are more "academic", as I'm hoping to start grad school next fall.

newfsmith
12-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Some passages are reminiscent of Carl Sandberg. Very good read.
The Lost is a non-fiction account of a historian that sets out to find what happened to relatives lost in the Holocaust. It is an intensely personal book, that really grabs you. Sorry I can't give the author's name (Daniel Somebody), as I loaned it to my boss as soon as I finished it. Just read Fannie Flagg's Can't wait to get to Heaven, it was a lot of fun. Hampton Sides' Blood and Thunder is a combination biography of Kit Carson and history of the Southwest, with emphasis on the defeat of the Navajo. That is a chunk of history that was largely skipped in my American History class, that was too busy with the business & politics of the eastern part of the country. Simon Schama's Rough Crossings brought a new view of Revolutionary history. The British promised black Americans freedom for serving in their army. Of course, they didn't get it, and the British reneged on salaries, etc. But that little fact was never mentioned in American history either, nor in 1776, which is also an excellent read. Anything Erik Larson writes is great, he really gives a feel of what everyday life was like in the period he is writing about. I think Isacc's Storm is my favorite. I'm currently reading John Grisham's non-fiction, The Innocent Man . It is pretty good, although very scary and sad. I'm a big fan of Elizabeth George, she is about due for another, and I won't be able to wait for it to come out in paper.

Bklynmom
12-05-2007, 06:42 AM
I agree - also about Elizabeth George (those are my dessert books) - I assume you have read PD James mysteries? Henning Mankel (Swedish) is also great.

Blood and Thunder sounds right up my alley, I will put it on my Hanamas list.! I read a lot about the history of NYC, and The Island at the Center of the World, about Dutch NY is my all time favorite. Also Low Life by Luke Sante, is about turn of the century NY, although I wonder a bit about some of his interpretations of events. Did you read In the Heart of the Sea - the true story Moby **** is based on? Very New England.

Quality Fiction wise, The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenager is also great - sad, but very strong writing. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers is good - it's a biography but it reads like fiction (parts of it may actually be fiction!).

Bad JuJu
12-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Currently re-reading some classics, which I'm teaching next semester in a class on belief and non-belief in Victorian literature: On the Origin of Species (OK, not strictly *literary* but important to the Victorian world view), Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Peter Pan, The Picture of Dorian Grey, and of course, my favorite Victorian page-turner: Dracula.

And I've been asked to write a review for a local paper on Carl Hiassen's Sick Puppy. Hiassen is an entertaining and inventive Florida writer who comes up with some wonderfully convoluted plots and characters, and who usually throws in an environmental agenda, underlying the twists and turns of action. I find his books great for downloading to the iPod for long road trips.

snowtulip
12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Absolutely addicted to books! After signing up at paperbackswap.com, I've opened myself up to other genres and I'm amazed at how much I love all types of genres.

Recent faves:

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova (loved it, couldn't put it down, loved all the travel, history, etc. I even passed on a ride to finish reading)

The Sparrow - Mary Doria Russell (a book I would have never read if I didn't expand my horizons, kept me completely captivated, looking to read the sequel next)

Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon (took me a little while to get into, but then I was hooked, plus it's about a book!)

The Golden Compass - Phillip Pullman (ok, I've already read this a few times, but had to reread before the movie release).

KnottedYet
10-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Reading "Communist Manifesto" right now.

It's my goal to read as many of the banned books available on the Free Books app as I can.

Granted the thing was written in the 1800's, but I was floored by the way women are assumed to be mere chattel, possessions to be shared in common among men. Here's this book, going on and on about upper class and lower class, and giving power back to the oppressed lower class... and they didn't even see the same "struggle" as it applied to women at the time. Women weren't citizens, they were means of production to be owned in common... like tractors.

One of Marx's arguments is that this would prevent prostitution. If men could have any women they wanted any time they wanted there would be no need for prostitution.

Ummm... but what if the woman didn't want that? Oh, wait, I forgot that she has all the rights to self-determination of a tractor.

Fascinating stuff.

At the same time I'm also reading the very dark set of short stories by Jack London "When God Laughs." Some of those stories can certainly be read as critiques of bourgeois society a century ago, and it's fun to see if one can apply the Manifesto to stories in Laughs.

I really like the Free Books app: http://appshopper.com/books/free-books The "banned books" category is full of good stuff.

Red Rock
10-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm reading the Journals of Lewis and Clark.

Gosh, I really love their descriptions of the places they are going through. Independence MO-that is where they spent their first 4th of July. I think that is pretty cool.

Then all of the snakes, deer, elk and soon to come buffalo. Let alone all of the timber that must have been in the Missouri at the time. I wish I could transport myself back to the 1800's (or 1800-1840ish) to see what this country was like before it bacame an asphalt and concrete jungle. There is not a whole lot out there on the women and how they survived. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

After I finish this, there is an Indian account that was puiblished for the 100 year anniversary that I want to read. Then perhaps The Oregon Trail, Santa Fe Trail..etc.