PDA

View Full Version : Newbie quest for a "Support tri top"

ValS
03-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Hi there - I am planning to do my first triathlon at the end May. I'm 39 and sort of a 'dabbler' in all three disciplines (have done a bit of swimming, a bit of running, a bit of biking) but have more of a team sports background. The team sports less practical after the 2 kids, and now I am looking for a fitness focus / challenge and am giving tri's a try (along with my 3 and 6 year old boys who will be entering KOS events!)
ANYWAY I generally run with two sports bras on (though I haven't bought a new sports bra for several years, so technology has probably changed, and I might be able to find one that would do on its own now) and wanted to get opinions on the best support tri top / tri sports bra, and if there is one that might be able to do the whole race in. I would say I'm about a 38 D sort of range.

thanks!
Val

Irulan
03-17-2004, 10:06 AM
title 9 catalog has the most awesome collection of sports bras on the planet, maybe look them up?

Irulan

kelrunran
03-17-2004, 11:38 AM
I just started doing triathlons last year and usually I wear my sports bra and bike shorts to swim in, then throw on a bike jersey to bike. I have a couple of really nice - wicking - cycling jerseys that I can also run in. They are sleeveless and a light material.

Usually sports bras are rated on level of activity so you just need to watch for an activity level rating. Even though I am only a "b" cup I still wear a "highly active" bra by Champion. Recently, I purchased a couple of bras from New Balance and really like them as well, but I would say the Champion bras are thicker and better.

My husband actually just bought me my first "racing" tri suit and let's just say "there's not much there" :)! I told him that I had to at least wear a sports bra under it and he said that racers usually don't. I'm not sure I can wear it in public yet - maybe he had an alterior motive:eek: !

I have tried on other tri outfits but have not been terribly impressed nor do I really want to spend $70.00 for one when my shorts and sports bra works out well.

ValS
03-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Thanks! How is swimming in the sports bra, and what about chaffing? I must say that my original plan was to swim in a sports bra, but I found myself being caught up in the 'fashion' options of the tri wear! My other thought was to get a two piece swimsuit / tri suit that wasn't totally support, and just swim, or maybe swim and bike in it, and then put a sports bra on over top when transitioning from bike to run.

thanks!
Val

kelrunran
03-18-2004, 11:18 AM
I have not had any problems swimming in my sports bra. I did a 1/2 ironman last summer and wore the sports bra under my wetsuit - with no problems at all! I also thought that it might not be very comfy to run in my bike shorts but it is also fine. I always make sure that I have a running hat in the transition area too.

As I said earlier - not a lot of support in some of the tri suits.

I also have put together a packing list if you are interested! There is so much gear involved. But it has been a fun new adventure for me.

ValS
03-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Very interested in the packing list! My ambitions are currently not quite a 1/2 iron man - congratulations!

thanks again
Val

ValS
03-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Irulan
title 9 catalog has the most awesome collection of sports bras on the planet, maybe look them up?

Irulan

I looked at the title 9 website and it looks amazing. I am wary of buying a new kind for the first time over the web though. I'm located in Canada which makes the aggravation of returning something across the border if it doesn't fit even worse. I may take a chance though...

thanks again!
Val