PDA

View Full Version : Sinus Pain

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Okay, I read the cold thread and decided I need help. My face hurts so badly I cannot tolerate much more. I developed a cold which turned into a nasty sinus infection (although no drainage, hence the pain). Last night sleep was almost impossible due to feeling as though a baseball bat was beating my face. I have been drinking copious amounts of water and tea. I have tried hot compresses, ice packs, both (that combo helps with my migraines and at 1am I was desperate). I have tried Nyquil which brought relief the first time i took it, but not since. Sudafed dries me up and causes sinus pain. I take enough medication as it is, so I am looking for any home remedies you can think of. I will call the doctor Monday if I cannot get some relief, although there is not much he can do.

Please, anyone?

KnottedYet
09-23-2006, 07:49 AM
This sounds like a job for Acupressure!

<insert "ta-da" music here>

Overview: one-finger pressure (start gently) on the anatomical "corners" where the various itty bitty facial bones meet eachother. Try 'em all until you find the ones that work.

You'll know if you find some good ones by the way they feel: very sensitive in a good way, like scratching a bad itch. Plus if they work you'll get some bodacious drainage or at least some pain relief.

Here are some "corners" to try (left/right at the same time, or one side at a time, whichever feels best to you)
*outer corners of the nostrils in that little groove *each side of the septum of the nose *upper outer corner of the nares, where the bone switches to cartilage *just below the inner and outer corners of the eyes *inner lower corners of the eyebrows *upper outer corners of the eyebrows *upper outer edges of the cheekbones *any other corners that feel potent.

My favorite is the lower inner corners of the eyebrows. I hold fairly firm pressure on them for about 20 seconds, repeating 3 or 4 times. I also like the outer edges of the nostrils in the groove. There are good pressure points all over your face. Poke around until you find the ones you like. (don't forget the edges of your hairline near your ears).

Edges and corners. Gotta love it.

Play around, it might work.

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 08:18 AM
KnottedYet,
Thank You! I am a huge fan of accupressure. I never thought of it on my face, just my hands and feet. :) I will be having DH try this on me as well as the boys (smaller fingers really work well and they like to help). I am so excited, well as excited as an exhausted, miserable feeling person can be. My DH does not "believe" in accupressure, but I on the other hand know it works for me. Thank You!!!

snapdragen
09-23-2006, 09:53 AM
bikingmom - you might also try sinus cleansing. Basically it is rinsing your sinus with warm salt water.

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

Bikingmomof3
09-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks Snap! I have heard of doing this before, but did not know where to look. I know, Google should be my friend, yet most of my searches bring up rather interesting results. :o

donnambr
09-23-2006, 04:23 PM
bikingmom - you might also try sinus cleansing. Basically it is rinsing your sinus with warm salt water.

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

If you're really lazy like I am, you can just go to the drug store and get a bottle of hypertonic Simply Saline made just for the nose and go for it. Works well for me.

Aggie_Ama
09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I know you want to avoid medicine, but the Tylenol Severe Sinus works well. It doesn't make me all cotton mouthed like Sudafed. I feel your pain, I am battling sinus pain right now.

Kano
09-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Jen, if you're like me, it hurts to lay down -- so sleep sitting up, or propped up some.

Once upon a time I had a nasty one, and the doc told me that I'd be taking the decongestant meds for a month or so -- and that I wouldn't notice the difference for a while.

One thing that helped, finally, when I was pregnant, a LONG time ago, and doc said no meds, was a crying jag. They can be hard to come by, so this may not be practical!

I like the accupressure thing too -- usually the inner corners of my eyes helps, and like Knotted, I like the inner corners of my eyebrows too! Kinda underneath -- pushing up toward my brows, or in towards my nose. Keeping my lovely long fingernails from poking is a challenge, but dear daughter seems to think they need to be long!

OOH! STEAM! A long, steamy shower with lots of breathing! And chicken soup with curry powder.

Karen in Boise

Bikingmomof3
09-24-2006, 07:44 AM
donnambr-DH was able to find the sinucleanse Snap suggested at Rite-Aid. It is wonderful-thanks Snap! I shall keep the saline in mind for next time, maybe if I use it when I begin to feel ill it will prevent this.

Aggie_Ama-Thank you for the suggestion. DH picked up Nyquil Sinus while he was at Rite-Aid. I slept 13 hours. Whoo Hooo!

Kano-yes, steam/hot shower feels wonderful as does hot compresses. Accupressure worked well and helped me fall asleep. :) The nice thing about being the only female in the house, everyone else has short nails. :)

donnambr
09-24-2006, 12:04 PM
donnambr-DH was able to find the sinucleanse Snap suggested at Rite-Aid. It is wonderful-thanks Snap! I shall keep the saline in mind for next time, maybe if I use it when I begin to feel ill it will prevent this.

I have a lot of allergies, so I do it at least once a month, sometimes twice if my allergies are bad. I also do it when I notice the easy cold catchers starting to get sick. What's really amazing is how much black that comes out if I have been riding on heavy car traffic roads just before rinsing. :eek:

JmcG
10-06-2006, 07:19 AM
I know you're looking for non-medicine remedies, but just in case you're willing to try another type of medicine - guafenisen works wonders for me. I have chronic sinusitis and get at least 5 sinus infections/year. You can buy it in liquid form (Robitussin - just the regular one, not DM, CF, etc) or now in pill form - Mucinex. If I start feeling pressure or like I'm coming down with an infection, I start taking it and it relieves the pressure and gets the fluids moving. Good luck!

Meaux
10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I wish I had read this a few days ago. My head was so full of goo, I thought I would explode. I'm prone to sinus infections as of late, so I'm going to try that acupressure out next time I get one. (I get sinus headaches so bad that my teeth hurt and I can't sleep!)