PDA

View Full Version : Jersey fit - women vs men

doctorfrau
03-17-2004, 07:28 AM
I am thinking that I REALLY want that "Team Hill Slug" Jersey that they have for sale here on TE. But I am wondering which would give me more butt-coverage, as mine is on the larger-ish side. I also have pretty broad shoulders.

Does anybody know if I'd get more butt-coverage with a men's jersey rather than a women's L or XL? Are the back lengths on the men's any longer than the women's?

I suppose I can e-mail customer service, but I wondered if any women here buy men's jerseys?

Thanks for any advice!

emily_in_nc
03-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Hi Doc,

I have a few unisex jerseys (not specifically mens, but event/club jerseys where there were no women's, so I guess that makes them men's!), and yes, they are quite a bit longer than my woman's specific ones. I am a shortie so prefer the women's cut. The mens' come all the way over my butt! So, it sounds like just what you would be looking for. Unfortunately, they do tend to ride up over the butt when I am riding.

Good luck!
Emily

annie
03-18-2004, 01:15 PM
I, too, have various jerseys from various events that don't really fit the way I'd like them to. I've taken to altering them. I'm not crazy about the elastic around the bottom so I take it out, shorten the jersey to length I want, cut little slits on the sides, sometimes take the sides in, depending on the fit of the jersey, and voila! It looks like a different jersey. Can't always do it, tho', or you lose too much of the jersey design. Also, moving the pockets is a pain! But it can be done and then you have a custom fit jersey. The first one I tried it with was a jersey I didn't much care for to begin with so it didn't matter if I ruined it. And it turned out well enough that I now wear it! You can also make it sleeveless if you want. If you have a womens' jersey that you like, use that as a pattern to alter the mens' jersey with. That's what I did the first time. It's actually fun to see what you can do. I haven't gotten so far as to make my own jerseys, tho'. Maybe one of these days..........

What I would REALLY like to figure out is how to make is a sport bra that fits and doesn't squish me so much that I could pass for a boy! (If boys wore sport bras, that is.) And that looks nice enough to wear without a jersey over it, if one so chooses. There's a few out there, but they are few and far between and very little in color choice. It seems like most of the concern is for those who need lots of support and non-jiggle. What about those of us who have very little to support? :confused: I need enhancement, not flattening. :rolleyes: Obviously, functionality is important, too, but can't we have both?
Okay, done griping now. :p

Veronica
03-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Annie,

Last year I got one of the InSPort DriTech Halters from TE. I love it! It's my favorite warm weather cycling top. Thom calls it my sexy top. Lots of support, but it doesn't squish too much. I'm a B cup so I want some support.

About jerseys that cover your butt... don't they get hung up on the nose of your saddle? That's what my jacket does whenever I'm stopped at a light, as well as my men's wool jerseys that haven't shrunk enough yet. Drives me nuts!

Veronica

Irulan
03-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I like my jerseys short, almost to the waist. When I sew my own, I always shorten them by 3 or 4" or so. I find that when they are long they want to ride up.

Again, Title 9 has the world's biggest and best sports bra collection, many that provide a lot of support without the uniboob look.

Irulan

emily_in_nc
03-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Annie,

Very interesting idea about altering jerseys! Do you do it on a standard machine, by hand, or do you have a serger? I guess I always thought I'd need a serger to do something like this since the material can be rather stretchy. It's a great idea, though! I don't like the elastic around the bottom of "mens" jerseys either.

Veronica, the longer jerseys I have aren't long enough to get caught on the nose of my saddle since I always get a mens' small (and they tend to ride up because of the elastic the minute you hop on the bike), but they are definitely longer than a womens-specific jersey, which tend to come only a bit past my waist.

Emily

annie
03-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Emily.

I use my Mom's serger. :p I wish I had one...... I've tried it on a standard machine, which I do have, but it doesn't work as well. You have to stretch the fabric as you work and then it doesn't lay quite right when it's done.

I checked out Title 9 for sports bras. Didn't really see anything that grabbed my attention. I'll keep looking......... Haven't checked out the halter top yet, Veronica. Will do so. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

Irulan
03-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by emily_in_nc
Annie,

Very interesting idea about altering jerseys! Do you do it on a standard machine, by hand, or do you have a serger? I guess I always thought I'd need a serger to do something like this since the material can be rather stretchy. It's a great idea, though! I don't like the elastic around the bottom of "mens" jerseys either.

I do this kind of work professionally.

if you have a regular machine you can do it. You'd want to redo the elastic on the hem with a zig zag, if you were going to re-do it. You can use a straight stitch or a narrow zigzag for most of the seams and top stitching, or you can use a double needle. No serger required. If you are going to take in seams, a serger is nice for a professional look, but not necessary.

If you are getting ripples when sewing on knits, try messing with your stitch length, and not pulling so much on the fabric.

I'd be happy to provide any sewing tips or help.

Irulan/Penny

emily_in_nc
03-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Annie & Irulan,

Thanks for the tips! If I get ambitious enough I might just give this a try on a rainy weekend! I just have a regular machine so would have to try with a zig-zag stitch....

Emily

ChainsOflove
03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
I shortened my Amphibs pants (incl. the zipper) and am putting a chammy in them. Also hem sleeves constantly.

Mens jerseys are longer, which I like.

doctorfrau
03-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Great, thanks for the info!
I'll be ordering the Men's version for a spring gift to myself soon!

I do a bit of sewing myself, so the hemming advice is good to know (I too have some trouble with knits). Even the electronic Viking/Husqvarna can only do so much with "me" at the controls!